Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

the culture war has devolved to the point where idiot CHUDs are turning pro-global warming and pro-pollution just for a chance to own the libs

"Hey ozone layer! gently caress YOU!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The only reason you were hearing about it is because republicans were whipping each other into a frenzy over it, and they have very short attention spans

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

It should be legal to murder these fucks on sight

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

I pulled up at a red light next to a guy in a BIG FORD TRUCK like this the other day, and he had this decal on his back window:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The wrench and bolt it turned were made in China.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Canned Panda posted:

I pulled up at a red light next to a guy in a BIG FORD TRUCK like this the other day, and he had this decal on his back window:

for all their macho posturing people who talk about their truck constantly are the biggest dweebs

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Verisimilidude posted:

for all their macho posturing people who talk about their truck constantly are the biggest dweebs

Yeah it's like the losers who brag about eating spicy food, same sort of stupidity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
shoving ghost peppers up my butt to own the libs

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Also straws are a rounding error in the grand scheme of things and banning them literally accomplishes nothing.

Kazak posted:

It's all just a personal basis feel good prescription. Same with cfl bulbs and reusable bags and recycling at home.

Exactly this

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Verisimilidude posted:

Even better, their entire life revolves around it. It's like these people don't have a personality outside of "guy or gal with big truck and stupid opinions".

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We should have reusable lead straws imo.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Cfl bulbs are obsolete already anyway.

Went to a seafood restaurant in Portland last weekend that clearly stated on the menu that they don't offer plastic straws.

I ordered a bloody mary which was promptly brought to me with a plastic straw in it. Ok.

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Straws are OVER, the buzz is all about Lenny now.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
social media has the memory of a goldfish OP*

remember the huge fuss about Kony 2012? or the huge fuss about statues? both of which finished up as soon as humanity's collective attention was focused on the next shiny trinket or bauble

*yes i know goldfish actually are quite capable of remembering things. they're also a lot smarter than humans, and as evidence to prove this i point to the fact that goldfish never invented a goldfish equivalent to Facebook

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i wonder how that Kony fellow is doing these days

hopefully not using any plastic straws

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Plastics and other environmental pollutants have done so much damage to the public's ability to focus that

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

Canned Panda posted:

Was it this guy?

(spotted in the wild in Northern Wisconsin)

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
social media: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORL-hey wow lookit that!

~gets distracted by some other thing~

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

shut up netface posted:

isn't that kinda weird how that died out really quickly?

but seriously, those paper straws...really really terrible.

they decided to get rid of them so people stopped talking about it you loving idiot

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Also straws are a rounding error in the grand scheme of things and banning them literally accomplishes nothing.

Exactly this

In hindsight I think Al Gore is a big piece of poo poo for making a compelling case that global warming is real, then prescribing personal consumption to reverse climate change.

This motherfucker career politician surely knows that military and industry are the two biggest polluters, yet he makes it out to be your fault and mine for buying the wrong kind of car.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Starbucks came up with a new lid that uses more plastic than the straw and we all were saved.

I don't get why people were targeting straws while plastic forks and knives exist.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

We should go back to glass bottles of milk that you leave at your front door when empty and they are picked up and refilled for you. Do that but for all beverages.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

it makes the idiots who never actually think about what our collective impact is on the world feel slightly better about themselves and that's worth all the retarded laws in the world

seriously drive a gas guzzler and toss all your trash in to a heap outside you're never going to come close in your lifetime to what a factory can dump in a river in the span of a year

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If we can't convince people to change habits as insignificant as using a plastic straw than we can't hope to change the profitable habits of big business. The same sort of impulse motivates them to dismiss the call to change plus additional greed. If we can't demonstrate that people really want the change and are willing to fight for it than they will not be incentivized to clean up their acts. We don't want it hard enough to commit to not using a plastic straw. They know they don't have a fight on their hands.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only way to change habits of big business is with the guillotine

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

cuts you a line of drywall for being a smartass :mad:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

tbh I don't really see the use of straws outside of like a juicebox.

Bite into the box.

It's the same in sex.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Bananaquiter posted:

Starbucks came up with a new lid that uses more plastic than the straw and we all were saved.

I don't get why people were targeting straws while plastic forks and knives exist.

It was literally that old video of a straw nosed turtle going viral

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was a viral marketing campaign to sell as much steel tubing as possible before the effects of the tariffs hit.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Straws fall through the sorting machines at most commingled recycling facilities and then get thrown away therefore they are problematic.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Moon Atari posted:

When I take my clients out for lunch at restaurants we bring our own supplies of wet wipes, bibs, specialized cutlery and bowls, even our own food if one person has individualized dietary needs. We also bring our own wheelchairs, walking sticks, incontinence aids etc. We can bring our own reusable straw. That disability excuse is just more bullshit people use to avoid acknowledging that they are uncomfortable with change, one which allows them to maintain the feeling that they are more caring than lazy. I think most people saying it probably have no actual interaction with the disabled community, but even if you can find someone disabled who needs a straw to drink I am willing to look them straight in the face and tell them they are capable of bringing their own straw.

Not all disabled people have carers. And yes, where disabled people are certainly capable of bringing a straw, them being everywhere has both a convenience aspect and a price aspect - they're dirt cheap and everywhere, so if you find yourself in worse shape than you expected, it's not the end of the world. Reusable straws would be a nightmare to clean in comparison. A bunch of disabled people would just forget to restock the straw and play the aspiration roulette.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I went to a bistro in Seattle and they provided metal straws.

:shrug:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Not all disabled people have carers. And yes, where disabled people are certainly capable of bringing a straw, them being everywhere has both a convenience aspect and a price aspect - they're dirt cheap and everywhere, so if you find yourself in worse shape than you expected, it's not the end of the world. Reusable straws would be a nightmare to clean in comparison. A bunch of disabled people would just forget to restock the straw and play the aspiration roulette.

Then restaurants can keep an emergency stock of plastic straws for the disabled, even though it is a vanishingly small segment of the disabled population that will ever actually require it. I'm not dogmatically opposed to the existence of any disposable item. I'm opposed to their unnecessary consumption where there are easy reusable options available with the smallest of effort. Plastic straws need not 100% vanish from the world outside of museums. Using the existence of disability to act like we can't change anything about our system is a cheap excuse made primarily by people that have never once thought about how consumer decisions and product availability effects the disabled before now.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Moon Atari posted:

we can't hope to change the profitable habits of big business.

not without violence yeah

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Bananaquiter posted:

those lids are recyclable (whether they actually are or not is another problem), while straws are not recyclable.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
You mean to tell me people bandwagoned on a small and ultimately meaningless bit of public activism and abandoned it after getting a couple corporations to change over to shittier straws in order to generate some modest goodwill

Color me absolutely shocked

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
Is bioplastic a thing?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't think there should be any restaurants comrades. Just a public cafeteria per every few blocks, with reusable plates and utensils.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

This guy trying to start a ban on plastic combs tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Woden posted:

Been shopping at Aldi for years so I've been using reusable bags for years. Sometimes though, I need to go to the other super markets to grab a couple of things and the contempt in their eyes when I don't have a bag for my 3 things is palpable.

If you have 3 things then you don't even need a bag and you should tell the cashier that

• Locked thread