Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Were there ever any books written where it’s explained how Qo’nos was saved after the Praxis explosion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Worf/Tori thing came near the end of the show but I think it was done quite well with buildup like Parallels.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I have a shitload of genuine affection for TAS.

I feel the kindest thing I can say about TAS is that its reach exceeds its grasp. Like it wanted to go cuh-razy with the possibilities of a Star Trek without physical sets or actors - then they had James Doohan voicing everything by doing that thing where you pinch your nose to TALK LIKE THIS. The re-used animation becomes super-obvious, and everything's pink because of the director's colour-blindness. It's just ... cheap.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

spincube posted:

I feel the kindest thing I can say about TAS is that its reach exceeds its grasp. Like it wanted to go cuh-razy with the possibilities of a Star Trek without physical sets or actors - then they had James Doohan voicing everything by doing that thing where you pinch your nose to TALK LIKE THIS. The re-used animation becomes super-obvious, and everything's pink because of the director's colour-blindness. It's just ... cheap.

when you are whoring yourself to truckers in some godforsaken reststop in the deep, deep south and you finally understand the depth of your failure (your world being ashes around you).... then you may have my permission to die

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TAS is awesome. It’s literally a perfect continuation of TOS right down to the constantly shrinking budget, growing need to reuse content, and increasingly bizarre premises.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Geisladisk posted:

I've never watched Star Trek, and I'm watching TNG for the first time. I'd tried to get into it in the past, but lost interest. I'm now following a watchlist to skip the chaff, and I'm in love.

This show is so loving refreshing, because it is nothing like today's TV. It is way too wholesome. There are no conflicts among the crew. All the crew are good people trying to do the right thing. Approximately half the show's runtime is made up of the crew sitting around the same two sets calmly and rationally discussing their latest dilemma and hashing out a sensible and mutually agreeable course of action.

Nobody has a nefarious agenda. Nobody is morally compromised. Nobody is addicted to space-pills. People aren't constantly sweaty and dirty. Half the time the bad guy of the week isn't even bad, but rather someone with a different set of priorities and viewpoints.

I also recently went through TNG in it's entirety for the first time, and the first time as an adult.

One thing I find super interesting is that generally speaking, the Enterprise vastly outmatches any of the aliens species they come across in terms of technical prowess and battle capability. So just about every confrontation comes down to a situational moral dilemma or exploring a characters internal conflict, rather than a flash space battle.

It's one of those little things where I personally feel we wouldn't have gotten as good a show without Gene laying the ground work, even if he was bat poo poo crazy. It would have been a very action focused series or a clone of TOS otherwise. The writers sure as poo poo had to put up with a lot - but it also prevented them from being lazy and doing easy stories.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S03E12 - The High Ground. I really enjoyed this one, particularly because somehow I don't think a primetime network TV show would have an episode explore the morality of terrorism from the viewpoint of the terrorist in the 21st century.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

It's one of those little things where I personally feel we wouldn't have gotten as good a show without Gene laying the ground work, even if he was bat poo poo crazy. It would have been a very action focused series or a clone of TOS otherwise. The writers sure as poo poo had to put up with a lot - but it also prevented them from being lazy and doing easy stories.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't use Q - singular or plural - more often, to get away with stuff that didn't fit with 'Gene's Vision'. Right there you've got a character with the power to gently caress around with the fabric of reality, and who can literally snap their fingers to reset everything back to status quo. ...I know it'd be terrible, I'm just surprised it never happened!

Geisladisk posted:

S03E12 - The High Ground. I really enjoyed this one, particularly because somehow I don't think a primetime network TV show would have an episode explore the morality of terrorism from the viewpoint of the terrorist in the 21st century.

I've banged on about it in this thread before, but mentioning how terrorist actions directly led to Irish reunification is remarkably tone-deaf. Could you imagine the uproar if someone on Discovery mentioned how 'the 9/11 incident' ended the Eugenics Wars?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just watched “Dax”. Really just a meh episode. They kept harping on how different Jadzia was from Curzon, but it’s way too early in the show’s run to be playing on that. We have no idea who Jadzia is yet. And it’s not helped at all by the fact that Terry Farrell can’t emote anything more complex than “I’m wearing pants”.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://twitter.com/trekdocs/status/1040974792164294656?s=21

More memos that reveal that the writers truly had no loving idea what to do with Wesley Crusher

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Geisladisk posted:

It's very ahead of its time.

spincube posted:

I've banged on about it in this thread before, but mentioning how terrorist actions directly led to Irish reunification is remarkably tone-deaf. Could you imagine the uproar if someone on Discovery mentioned how 'the 9/11 incident' ended the Eugenics Wars?

Yeah, Americans tend to be weirdly sympathetic to the IRA. The British, on the other hand, didn't take too kindly to that line :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

spincube posted:

I recall that briefly being canon during the beginning of ENT. I can only imagine the mix of nerd rage and patriot rage that caused then to quietly drop it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Windows 98 posted:

https://twitter.com/trekdocs/status/1040974792164294656?s=21

More memos that reveal that the writers truly had no loving idea what to do with Wesley Crusher

I couldn't help but laugh at the Google AdWords I got the other day when searching for a spam call number...

[timg][/timg]

Also I thought they managed to do some neat stuff with Wesley post season 1, and they certainly helped redeem what was otherwise a truly excruciating character, slowly but surely...

However, I just saw that final season 7 episode with him. What the hell. Overnight he's just decided to be an arsehole now and a unlikeable dick to everyone because he's second guessing his career in Starfleet. Apparently those last six seasons of his character building were for naught because we remembered we had some half remembered plot point about how he was destined for greater things and we better act on it before the show's over. So he fails to redeem his earlier behavior and just abandons everyone and everything he cares about to travel with some space pedo for awhile.

Though I guess whatever great things those two got up to in the funky dimension didn't last long, since he decides to rejoin Starfleet anyway according to his Nemesis cameo which laughably invalidates the point of that episode.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

spincube posted:

TAS rules, and that's coming from a guy who strongly dislikes TOS. Your opinion's a dumb bad one and I don't like it :mad:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only thing wrong with TAS is that there isn't more TAS.

quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!!!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

The only thing wrong with TAS is that there isn't more TAS.

quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!!!!!

My body has never been more ready

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Significantly too much facial detail here. That ink won’t pay for itself

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I know at least one fanfilm was doing TAS style stuff a long time ago, and others were considering it. The one thing about animated Trek is it is exempt from all the CBS fanfilm rules--you can do episodes longer than 15 minutes, have a series, use actors who appeared in ST, etc. I'm surprised there's not more of it to be honest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait, what!?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

This thread should do an animated fan film. I'm sure there's enough writing and art talent here to get things rolling.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
1 animated film of Odo going “quaaaaarkkkkk!!!!” That is exactly 15:01 minutes long

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Astroman posted:

I know at least one fanfilm was doing TAS style stuff a long time ago, and others were considering it. The one thing about animated Trek is it is exempt from all the CBS fanfilm rules--you can do episodes longer than 15 minutes, have a series, use actors who appeared in ST, etc. I'm surprised there's not more of it to be honest.

there have been a few animated trek fan movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGZDwzphAbQ&t=6974s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tunicate posted:

I mean, that's what I would use the holodeck for.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I would really dig an animated TNG-era Trek with the gonzo feel TAS had.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Family is extremely important to Sisko, which is why we never see his sister, and it's also why he and Jake spent a lot of time with his wife's parents while they were living on Earth and Ben was working at Europa Planetia.

He's not the kind of person to consider his wife's parents adversaries, he's the kind to call them dad and mom.

You mean Utopia Planitia.

On Mars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tunicate posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this

The first in a 3 part epic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

The first in a 3 part epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGiT3Z2TjP0&t=10130s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Astroman posted:

I think the bloom is off the rose in terms of heavy fandom. If they'd had Flash back in the 60s, though, holy poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGiT3Z2TjP0&t=14749s

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In true Trek fashion, a dramatically convenient song from centuries in the past is available with three taps.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't understand the complaint. Do y'all not have a Gilbert and Sullivan button on your touchscreen?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So was that young Captain Picard remembering his old love for Harry Potter and then deciding to watch The Price is Right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

1 animated film of Odo going “quaaaaarkkkkk!!!!” That is exactly 15:01 minutes long

I work in animation and don’t you tempt me

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

I work in animation and don’t you tempt me

I’ll give you the files for the above if you’ve got ClipStudio. I actually set them up to maybe make TAS-level-animated gifs later

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We're doing it!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

I’ll give you the files for the above if you’ve got ClipStudio. I actually set them up to maybe make TAS-level-animated gifs later

I got me the entire Adobe Suite - if you can somehow export those bad boys as vector files, or hell, high res PNGs, you’re on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually I think it’s able to export as a psd, I’ll check it out once I get home. Let me know how to get the files over to you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

Actually I think it’s able to export as a psd, I’ll check it out once I get home. Let me know how to get the files over to you.

Pm’ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

This thread should do an animated fan film. I'm sure there's enough writing and art talent here to get things rolling.

Dibs on naming the Spanish chief engineer Manuél O. Verride.