Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
wait so regarding the tesla transmission, when the computer is functional, the gears would work like everyone expects right?

park: actually apply the handbrake
neutral: allow the car to roll/be pushed around even if it's not a true neutral with the clutch out
tow mode: do ??? extra to make it safer to push around

is it just when the computer is hosed that it's impossible to move at all, presumably because there's too much resistance from the motors?

i feel like it's a bitcoin thing where "you must be explaining it wrong, it can't possibly be this stupid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
q not e

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

wait so regarding the tesla transmission, when the computer is functional, the gears would work like everyone expects right?

park: actually apply the handbrake
neutral: allow the car to roll/be pushed around even if it's not a true neutral with the clutch out
tow mode: do ??? extra to make it safer to push around

is it just when the computer is hosed that it's impossible to move at all, presumably because there's too much resistance from the motors?

i feel like it's a bitcoin thing where "you must be explaining it wrong, it can't possibly be this stupid"

neutral turns to park when the car detects you’ve left the car

because reasons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
neutral cuts power to the motor, but the parking brake engages automatically when you exit the vehicle. to disable that you need to enable transport mode, which needs the computer to function

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

infernal machines posted:

neutral cuts power to the motor, but the parking brake engages automatically when you exit the vehicle. to disable that you need to enable transport mode, which needs the computer to function
This sounds like something I a bad programmer would code.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

funy computer: car edition

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this r-worded

(ridiculous)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

this r-worded

(ridiculous)

not cute

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Deleted.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
screenshot tweets especially when they're from chuds like musk

unfortunately the google cache doesn't have whatever was in the upper tweet but it was just the image for the tesla referral program I think

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
oh lol i thought it was a standalone tweet about him leaving twitter or killing his are self or something

i'd probably feel more foolish if this wasn't clearly the fault of twitter presenting it to me as a standalone tweet rather than a reply to a previous one; it's amazing how they consistently set the bar for "worst social media site" despite the stiff competition

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1041500594467270656?s=21
i love this guy.
someone else do the needful im phone postin

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Your undelivered new car is sitting outside unprotected and next to a railroad for half a month? Totally fine. Please don't worry about all the brown spots on your paint job, that's just the flip flop effect.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Combat Theory posted:

Your undelivered new car is sitting outside unprotected and next to a railroad for half a month? Totally fine. Please don't worry about all the brown spots on your paint job, that's just the flip flop effect.

any brown spots don't exist, if they did exist it would be a conspiracy by the shorts and haters.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ah, but you’re forgetting the real powers here: pedos and ICE manufacturers. :tinfoil:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

President Beep posted:

ah, but you’re forgetting the real powers here: pedos and ICE manufacturers. :tinfoil:

ah, my bad, my bad.

i must have misread the venn diagram again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mom please don’t try to tell me there’s a problem with my new car sitting in a rail yard for a month. the CEO tweeted me personally saying it will be fine.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Sagebrush posted:

all the external handles on every tesla (except the original roadster, which is a lotus) are purely electronic and don't work if the battery is dead

getting out from the inside with a dead battery is a different process for each car and seating position

model s front: pull the handle until it stops, then pull harder past that stop and it will pop the door
model s rear: fold down the carpet under the seat and pull a hidden cable

model x front: same as model s, pull the handle past the normal stop
model x rear: pry off the speaker cover inside the door and pull a hidden cable, then lift the door

model 3 front: find the secret lever hidden in front of the armrest and pull it. do not use this in normal circumstances as it will damage the door trim
model 3 rear: can't open the doors. crawl out through the front, lol

i'm never riding in a tesla

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

President Beep posted:

the venn diagram intersection of tesla stans and qanons is getting bigger by the day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Marijuana posted:

lmao. those processes are loving bonkers.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Marijuana posted:

iirc the 'hidden cable' in the second example is literally a piece of twine, and not even good quality stuff. so just as likely to shred in your hand as to do its job of letting you out in a crash situation, especially after baking in the interior of the door under the hot sun for who knows how long.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
what if your car didn't need to do lots of safety critical things that cars need to do, because it were The Car Of The Future, tm Safety Third Enterprises

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hi, r/tesla! So, ummmm... my M3 is on fire and I can't get the doors to open and there's a huuuuuggge wait to get through to Tesla support on the phone. Anyone know anything about how to pop one of these babies open? XD

Please reply. The flames are getting nearer and some of my flesh is beginning to roast. :(

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

Hi, r/tesla! So, ummmm... my M3 is on fire and I can't get the doors to open and there's a huuuuuggge wait to get through to Tesla support on the phone. Anyone know anything about how to pop one of these babies open? XD

Please reply. The flames are getting nearer and some of my flesh is beginning to roast. :(

on one hand when you call 911 and your tesla rears to life and goes after the firetruck there might be water

on the other hand that probably wont actually do anything

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

thankfully there's a handy tool for getting out of your tesla when the doors won't open that fits into the palm of your hand

it's a spring loaded center punch. if you've never seen one of these before, they're really useful for marking metal/wood and shattering the gently caress out of tempered glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdeHk3CjgB0

it takes very little force to trigger one and it immediately destroys tempered glass. note this will not work on the windshield which has laminated glass to prevent shattering of this sort. most firefighters i know have these or something very similar they keep handy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Mr. Nice! posted:

thankfully there's a handy tool for getting out of your tesla when the doors won't open that fits into the palm of your hand

it's a spring loaded center punch. if you've never seen one of these before, they're really useful for marking metal/wood and shattering the gently caress out of tempered glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdeHk3CjgB0

it takes very little force to trigger one and it immediately destroys tempered glass. note this will not work on the windshield which has laminated glass to prevent shattering of this sort. most firefighters i know have these or something very similar they keep handy.

lol at being paranoid enough to carry one of these in your car but not have one with the integrated belt cutter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i wear one on my forehead as part of my cyberpunk unicorn costume that i wear to ren faires.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol at being paranoid enough to carry one of these in your car but not have one with the integrated belt cutter

if you own a tesla is it really paranoia?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

if you own a tesla is it really paranoia?

if you own a tesla it's called delusion

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Please try to keep a proper glass breaker with an integrated belt cutter if you want any kind of escape tool in your car. A center punch is better than nothing, but its got some flaws compared to a glass breaker.

1. Due to the position in your palm, you will likely push your hand through the glass shards. It's safety glass, but it can still cut you.

2. The punch will roll around everywhere in your car and can easily be lost in the event of an accident.

3. Getting rid of the belt can pose an even greater challenge than cracking a window. So if you are concerned about escaping (mainly because you live in the mountains or by a lake/river/sea) a belt cutter is even more important than the Coolio glass breaker that you can impress your friends with at the bar.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

just ride a motorcycle, in the event of a crash you'll be safely thrown from danger (you will unsafely land, possibly into a different danger, but details)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also loud pipes save lifes.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Just line your windows and seat belt with det cord.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ADINSX posted:

just ride a motorcycle, in the event of a crash you'll be safely thrown from danger (you will unsafely land, possibly into a different danger, but details)

Can't get trapped in a burning car if your sagging flesh absorbs all the impact

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

elite_garbage_man posted:

Just line your windows and seat belt with det cord.

NOW! that's what I call safety third

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

prisoner of waffles posted:

NOW! that's what I call safety third

saftey turd

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Lonoxmont posted:

saftey turd

what is pooping on a Tesla's sensor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

y'all are thinking too small. what we need are ejection seats, ones that have enough rocket power to boost you high enough for a chute to deploy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Peeny Cheez posted:

Internal Combustion: tired. Battery Combustion: wired.

new title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

safety turd: musky family motto-cars