Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mans posted:

space victoria would seriously own.

That appears to be the actual end game for Stellaris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

That appears to be the actual end game for Stellaris

Even though I do like that it's moving in that direction, I don't think Stellaris is ever going to go FULL Vicky just because there are certain things that wouldn't really make sense in the setting - the resource trade in Victoria is based on a globalized economy, whereas in Stellaris you spend a good chunk of the early game just meeting your neighbours. If pops had resource requirements like Victoria did, and resources were distributed unevenly, then basically nobody would be able to satisfy their pops needs. Either that or resources ARE available pretty much everywhere, rendering the whole system pointless.

I'm expecting them to stick fairly close to what they're doing with this upcoming update as far as economics go - resources can give you bonuses if you have access to them, but trade is done between player and AI rather than between pops.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Even though I do like that it's moving in that direction, I don't think Stellaris is ever going to go FULL Vicky just because there are certain things that wouldn't really make sense in the setting - the resource trade in Victoria is based on a globalized economy, whereas in Stellaris you spend a good chunk of the early game just meeting your neighbours. If pops had resource requirements like Victoria did, and resources were distributed unevenly, then basically nobody would be able to satisfy their pops needs. Either that or resources ARE available pretty much everywhere, rendering the whole system pointless.

Having local/regional markets sounds like a better Vicky than Vicky

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Unless I'm reading the dev diary wrong (and I didn't read that close at all), the market in Stellaris works just like that in AoE: selling resources just disappears them, while buying magics them out of thin air. There's no actual transfer between empires and it'll never run out of a thing unless nobody knows how to produce it yet (I suspect the design goal here is to prevent resource screw). So not really Vicky at all.

Am I wrong?

Oh, and here's a Rome tweet:

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1041208084469833728

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Unless I'm reading the dev diary wrong (and I didn't read that close at all), the market in Stellaris works just like that in AoE: selling resources just disappears them, while buying magics them out of thin air. There's no actual transfer between empires and it'll never run out of a thing unless nobody knows how to produce it yet (I suspect the design goal here is to prevent resource screw). So not really Vicky at all.

No, not wrong I think. Though it does appear that factors such as high demand for a resource, i.e. empires buying alot of it will cause the price to rise, and similarly prices might fall as well, and with rare resources it seems to at least require that one empire that's a part of the global market has access to it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Randarkman posted:

Though it does appear that factors such as high demand for a resource, i.e. empires buying alot of it will cause the price to rise, and similarly prices might fall as well

This is what AoE (Age of Empires II) did. It honestly works really well so while I can appreciate that having them be more tangible or whatever has an appeal, I don't think that going for Vicky's impenetrable mess of an economy is actually the better alternative.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yeah, I'm not inclined to blame them for going for the easy, robust option. Not when the full fat variant is so delicate and awkward and they've got so much else going on in this expansion.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also the vicky 2 version is far more complex than the stellaris version. remember in vicky 2 every country and every single pop are participating in the market and have a preestablished baseline of pops to start with. Stellaris is building from scratch every game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

space vicky's economy runs just fine until someone spheres a fallen empire, then it explodes because their RGOs and artisans outproduce the rest of the galaxy

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really don’t like the UI design for Imperator. It was hard to put my finger on at first but it really feels like a really dated version of a paradox game. Culture and religion take take up two entire bars of space, instead of a pop up like in CK2, character interactions take up half the space of the character sheet.

It’s some weird uncanny valley poo poo, feels like an inbetween or CK1 and CK2.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I was super hyped for Imperator but it seems the more I see the less excited I get. :ohdear:

E: today’s dd

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-17-17th-of-september-2018.1119837/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fellblade posted:

I was super hyped for Imperator but it seems the more I see the less excited I get. :ohdear:

Same. It just looks like a smaller scale CK

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it feels like eu with more emphasis on character interactions, which sounds interesting, although it's mega early

and woof, that UI

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
i hope they just stop wasting time on this imperator business and get to work on the real game we deserve

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Agreed. Release Svea Rike 3 you cowards.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ulio posted:

First time playing a Paradox game, how do I find someone valuable to marry? Only courtiers want to marry me but I am a king and I gain no value from them.

If clicking on the rings doesn't give you a good selection, use the character finder to see single women who you can invite to your court. Once you have lured them there they can't refuse. Don't be too hung up on their rank or alliances either, good stats and education level are often more useful. The Crusader Kings thread is very helpful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Imperator looks like EU but with more internal mechanics, I.e. my dream game

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ulio posted:

First time playing a Paradox game, how do I find someone valuable to marry? Only courtiers want to marry me but I am a king and I gain no value from them.
Marry some genius/quick or strong woman from the character finder. I think it's better to have good heir than having non-agression pact with some King Nobody from Nowhere.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

StashAugustine posted:

Hm but have you considered that the history of hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle?

Every day. :ussr:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mantis42 posted:

Agreed. Release Svea Rike 3 you cowards.

Svea Rike 3 got released 2000? You mean you want Svea Rike 4.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Imperator looks like it'll be bad but it'll be good two or three expansions from now, as is the standard of paradox these days.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Imperator looks like it'll be bad but it'll be good two or three expansions from now, as is the standard of paradox these days.

That's always been the way, but I'm not sure "bad" is all that fair - I enjoyed both hoi and stellaris at release, although they are much better now (stellaris in particular)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
i'm just looking forward to this so i can load the final map into ck2

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Banana Man posted:

i'm just looking forward to this so i can load the final map into ck2

a "fall of the empire" dlc is basically mandatory

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It is weird that right when they're reworking CK2's character screen, they're repeating some of its early mistakes in Imperator, along with some new ones. You can't have two laurel wreath icons, that's absurd.

I wonder what types of improvements they're already planning for DLCs.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

It is weird that right when they're reworking CK2's character screen, they're repeating some of its early mistakes in Imperator, along with some new ones. You can't have two laurel wreath icons, that's absurd.

I wonder what types of improvements they're already planning for DLCs.

atilla the hun dlc
rise of christianity dlc
"maybe persia shouldn't suck" dlc
"india should also be good" dlc

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"This One Lets You Form The Byzantine Empire" dlc

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Johan's said the start date isn't changing in either direction, although maybe that'll change.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Koramei posted:

Johan's said the start date isn't changing in either direction, although maybe that'll change.
I thought that meant one bookmark in the 1.0 game, unlike e.g. CK2 where you could pick any year between 1066 and 1337 and earlier bookmarks were added later.
Hopefully I:R will also get other bookmarks later (but maybe Johan already said NO?)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
He said it won't be getting any more too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It seems pretty clear to me that the DLC plan will be to continually flesh out the non-Roman cultures one after another.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Koramei posted:

The Byzantine empire is in the hearts of all men and should be formable regardless.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As the Gauls, form the Byzantine Empire.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Groogy posted:

Svea Rike 3 got released 2000? You mean you want Svea Rike 4.

Svea Rike 3 HD Remake

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dwesa posted:

I thought that meant one bookmark in the 1.0 game, unlike e.g. CK2 where you could pick any year between 1066 and 1337 and earlier bookmarks were added later.
Hopefully I:R will also get other bookmarks later (but maybe Johan already said NO?)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's just one "bookmark". What Johan meant was that they currently only intend for there to be one start date for the entire life of the game, and no timeline extensions either.

No imperial era, no pre-roman era.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The game should start 753 BC obviously

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

No horse senators then. Sad.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

This is still so weird to me. The game is Imperator: Rome, and yet it only covers what? 60ish years of the Roman Empire?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s hard to make game mechanics that make running an already huge empire a challenge that can prevent you from just painting the entire rest of the map and steamrolling everyone else within 50 years. So all these games end around 14 AD when Rome becomes giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s hard to make game mechanics that make running an already huge empire a challenge that can prevent you from just painting the entire rest of the map and steamrolling everyone else within 50 years. So all these games end around 14 AD when Rome becomes giant.

Specifically, it's hard to do this and have it be actually fun, for hundreds of years, multiple times, in the same game engine that's built to represent the vastly different republican era. And then also create a system to naturally transition into this vastly different era from the old one.

If they built a whole new game from scratch for it, then maybe, but there's no way that slapping on an extra 200-300 years of the roman empire to Imperator would work.

super late edit no one will read: Also worth noting that this game starts out in 450BC and runs until 1AD. That's a lot of playtime for any one campaign, more than EU4. Adding an extra 450-500 years to the rear end end of this would be ridiculous. Though this has reminded me of how impressively long the romans existed as either a rising or dominant power.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 18, 2018