Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

What's being lost? Almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/1042435162833907713

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

What's being lost? Almost nothing.

Celebrity journalism is a powerful tool of false consciousness. So the bourgeois press has been soundly defeated by social media, comrades.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now we have mass hysteria, which is where the real fun happens

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Jesus loving christ, that's unconscionable.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

just a 9% transaction fee, no big deal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
For devotees of Beyoncé, this might not matter (though it should). But for devotees of celebrity journalism — the kind of work that aims to add context and depth to the fame economy, and which is predicated on the productive frisson between an interviewer and interviewee — this portends catastrophe.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Jesus loving christ, that's unconscionable.

Multiple requests for clarification I sent to Oath on if they use WorkMarket and FastFunds in particular were ignored. An email I sent to the Huffington Post media contact for comment on the FastFunds option was also ignored. A media representative from the New York Times replied to my request wanting to know a bit more about who I am and why I am seeking this information, and then ignored multiple follow up emails.

lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

For devotees of Beyoncé, this might not matter (though it should). But for devotees of celebrity journalism — the kind of work that aims to add context and depth to the fame economy, and which is predicated on the productive frisson between an interviewer and interviewee — this portends catastrophe.

good

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i don't know what the world will do without starstruck music dorks really getting into deep discussions with extremely rich people whose entire lives involve travelling between events by and for other extremely rich people

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We could just do a direct transfer of funds. OR: what if we had a middleman transferring our funds?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how will i stay abreast of the fame economy without this valuable style of journalism

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We could just do a direct transfer of funds. OR: what if we had a middleman transferring our funds?

Well, he would give us part of the cut, so it's win-win

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Times really have changed. Since when did HuffPo actually pay their freelance writers?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how will i stay abreast of the fame economy without this valuable style of journalism

if i don't hear from bono that we need to hear all sides i might wither and die

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

just a 9% transaction fee, no big deal

gonna rule when they add a “convenience fee” like ticketmaster

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

if i don't hear from bono that we need to hear all sides i might wither and die

good news! bono has figured out how to get his voice sent directly to your apple products

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

My Cuck Dad posted:

Times really have changed. Since when did HuffPo actually pay their freelance writers?

one time i met a friend of a friend who worked for huffpo

first question i asked was whether she got paid
second was how well she had learned the teachings of john roger
third was whether she had seen the onion story about an intern dying in an industrial accident after being sucked into the aggregation turbine

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

he's completely off the mark, too

he totally misses the effect of the shift of labor power away from celebrities and toward the media conglomerates which employ them, as well as the commodization of media which makes them much more replaceable to the corporate powers that be. as well as the fact that non-white and non-male faces are a lot more prominent in the newer generations of celebrities, and need to be a lot more careful about how they let the media see them because institutional racism and sexism are still very much a thing

he's comparing Paul loving McCartney to 22-year-old rappers and washed-out YouTube stars and acting like there's no difference other than their age and their choice of marketing material

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
lolling at the idea of a payment service that puts up an artificial month-long delay before paying someone, and offers them the option of forfeiting a big chunk of the payment to be paid quicker

end stage capitalism

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

good news! bono has figured out how to get his voice sent directly to your apple products

to each and all for free and still no one gave a poo poo

a small twinge of justice, but justice all the same

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

How am I supposed to direct my fame broker now?

Duscat posted:

lolling at the idea of a payment service that puts up an artificial month-long delay before paying someone, and offers them the option of forfeiting a big chunk of the payment to be paid quicker

end stage capitalism

I hope Luke O' Neil continues his investigation and figures out why it takes so long for these companies to pay their writers in the first. I know on a macro level it's just because they don't want to pay for content, but how does it work on a processual level? My guess is that these companies issue checks from a particular account that receives a certain amount of money each month, and once the account's empty for the month they can't (rather, won't) pay any debts they owe.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pospysyl posted:

How am I supposed to direct my fame broker now?

I hope Luke O' Neil continues his investigation and figures out why it takes so long for these companies to pay their writers in the first. I know on a macro level it's just because they don't want to pay for content, but how does it work on a processual level? My guess is that these companies issue checks from a particular account that receives a certain amount of money each month, and once the account's empty for the month they can't (rather, won't) pay any debts they owe.

i think the pr person kind of alluded to their line of thinking where theyre "independent contractors" and on b2b transactions its relatively normal to end up with a lot of invoicing where the product or service is delivered but the invoice allows for payment within 60 days. so by this standard taking a 10% haircut to get paid when the work is actually performed is great!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

he's completely off the mark, too

he totally misses the effect of the shift of labor power away from celebrities and toward the media conglomerates which employ them, as well as the commodization of media which makes them much more replaceable to the corporate powers that be. as well as the fact that non-white and non-male faces are a lot more prominent in the newer generations of celebrities, and need to be a lot more careful about how they let the media see them because institutional racism and sexism are still very much a thing

he's comparing Paul loving McCartney to 22-year-old rappers and washed-out YouTube stars and acting like there's no difference other than their age and their choice of marketing material

Wendy's has completely done away with the Wendy's girl so they can do twitter style epic clapbacks. Because getting their media impact down to anonymous text crawls is how they don't have to pay actors or extras.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

i think the pr person kind of alluded to their line of thinking where theyre "independent contractors" and on b2b transactions its relatively normal to end up with a lot of invoicing where the product or service is delivered but the invoice allows for payment within 60 days. so by this standard taking a 10% haircut to get paid when the work is actually performed is great!!!

yeah I’ve known people who have gotten turbofucked because like the company that owed them changed payment processors and switching over took forever and they’d like call up the boss and say hey where the fucks my money that you owe me for the work I’ve done and they’d juggle their hands like oh nothing I can do man

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://soundcloud.com/user-489585521-953322462/cia-ad-on-npr

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Taintrunner posted:

yeah I’ve known people who have gotten turbofucked because like the company that owed them changed payment processors and switching over took forever and they’d like call up the boss and say hey where the fucks my money that you owe me for the work I’ve done and they’d juggle their hands like oh nothing I can do man

feature, not a bug

WONTFIX

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Streak posted:

real talk i went to a pizzeria in brooklyn and got something with pepperoncini on it and its just loving hot peppers i want some god drat meat on this poo poo what the gently caress 17 USD for this poo poo suck my dick new york

lmao go to di fara's you dork

pretty obvious i'm talking about zionism and not judaism bud.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao go to di fara's you dork

pretty obvious i'm talking about zionism and not judaism bud.

5 loving dollars for a slice of pizza that looks like every other slice of pizza in the world

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

babypolis posted:

5 loving dollars for a slice of pizza that looks like every other slice of pizza in the world

you be the judge

personally i'm a fan of a nice compact neapolitan-style pie but some people love their slices.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

literally 90% of those look like frozen pizza from the supermarket jesus christ

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Best Pizza is found in Chicago. Change my mind.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

babypolis posted:

literally 90% of those look like frozen pizza from the supermarket jesus christ

none of hte best pizza in new york is new york style. it's a cult that's infected the national pizza dialogue.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best pizza is whatever pizza i happen to be eating when im extremely drunk

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In fairness this is from a year ago but Jesus Christ

Sometimes you get tired of being a slave

Hint this is about Cuban doctors

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

none of hte best pizza in new york is new york style. it's a cult that's infected the national pizza dialogue.

giant floppy folded pizza that should have been a calzone

or I can just wrap it up into a lovely little log of stromboli I guess

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thats a lot of hot takes going on here, Didn't realize Chuck Schumer could induce such derangement in people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/artyleooo/status/1042184377315274753

but also i want to show what i go through with gdpr to see this page. These options are all turned off by default at least

R. Guyovich posted:

you be the judge

personally i'm a fan of a nice compact neapolitan-style pie but some people love their slices.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Shear Modulus posted:

the best pizza is whatever pizza i happen to be eating when im extremely drunk

A statement so honest, you'll never see it in the soggy NYT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1042761218296037378