Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh yeah, I'm definitely getting it on Switch. AA's not a super visually intense game unless they really pull out the stops for 7, so it's the best of both worlds without any compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I just want an ace attorney on every household so I'm happy it's going multiplat. Who knows, maybe it will actually increase its popularity.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I want AA7 on the Switch because it’s the console I have.

On the subject of introducing it to others, my sister was watching me play aai2 yesterday and didn’t get it. I was in the middle of a long plot conversation and she was just like “do you do anything in this game????”

Some people don’t get the appeal of visual novels I guess.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

hopeandjoy posted:

I want AA7 on the Switch because it’s the console I have.

On the subject of introducing it to others, my sister was watching me play aai2 yesterday and didn’t get it. I was in the middle of a long plot conversation and she was just like “do you do anything in this game????”

Which scene were you on?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not like there aren't plenty of VNs on the PS4 and the PC, though. There's an audience there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

hopeandjoy posted:

This is obvious if you've ever read the reviews of any popular text-heavy/no-action Steam game. People complaining that there's no 'gameplay' there when they're missing the entire point of the genre.

But VNs still come out on steam, because...

Waffleman_ posted:

There's an audience there.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for London Detective Mysteria.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know how much of a VN audience there is on the Xbone, but that's probably more of a "well, why not" thing since it's probably not too much extra hassle.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think ace attorney appeals a tad more to the general audience than pure VN because I know some people who have bought every iteration but don't read any other VNs. It's also the kind of 'anime' that is more easily accepted.

Terper posted:

I can't wait for London Detective Mysteria.

Truly the only thing ace attorney needs is a dating mode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Meallan posted:

Truly the only thing ace attorney needs is a dating mode.

Every character only has one route, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did AA1 use the lifebar in other versions of the trilogy? I don't think so, but you can see a slightly different lifebar in the AA1 cases rather than the 5 strikes.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

chumbler posted:

Every character only has one route, though.

I hope the next unmissable ace attorney announcement is just the devs saying which pairings are canon.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Which scene were you on?

End of the beginning of case 4 where amnesiac Kay is being arrested and Edgeworth turns in his badge because he refuses to let it happen.

It’s probably because there are like six characters who are speaking in that scene and she didn’t know or care who any of them are.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 22, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Meallan posted:

I hope the next unmissable ace attorney announcement is just the devs saying which pairings are canon.

They will never do that and they’d sooner blackbag the announcer and say it never happened if it did

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am super happy that they're bringing these games to Steam! Now I can get them for my attorney brother to go along with the Attorney Badge I got him for his graduation! :D

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Waffleman_ posted:

Did AA1 use the lifebar in other versions of the trilogy? I don't think so, but you can see a slightly different lifebar in the AA1 cases rather than the 5 strikes.

This will be the first version of AA1 to not use 5 strikes, as far as I can tell, which seems kinda weird since I thought SoJ was indicative of the series moving back to the 5 strikes thing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There was a lifebar in DD but it only ever decreased in increments of one fifth, so it's basically been the same thing for a bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a health bar? Wait do people play these games by not constantly save and reloading???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean yeah of course, you listen for if the music stops.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean yeah of course, you listen for if the music stops.

unless you're playing 3-5

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

hopeandjoy posted:

End of the beginning of case 4 where amnesiac Kay is being arrested and Edgeworth turns in his badge because he refuses to let it happen.

It’s probably because there are like six characters who are speaking in that scene and she didn’t know or care who any of them are.

That's legit one of the best scenes in the game.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So, Dai Gyakuten Saiben now has a translation patch for the first four episodes. There is one for both Android and 3DS.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MegaZeroX posted:

So, Dai Gyakuten Saiben now has a translation patch for the first four episodes. There is one for both Android and 3DS.

Wait DGS got a phone port?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait DGS got a phone port?

Yes, and you can purchase it on the Japanese Play store. Meaning you can now play 4/5 of it in English legally and easily.

It also got an iOS port, but the patch doesn't support it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I am looking forward to the Switch port since I only played the first game a few months ago for the first time and barely started on the second

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Maybe some critical detail about the case prevents this, but with most of the game being set in England, I would have liked them to go full hamburger sushi and just localize Natsume Souseki as Edgar Allan Poe, and instead of using the title "Clouded Kokoro" used "Telltale Heart".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Takumi's on an additional stream recapping TGS

https://twitter.com/CourtRecords_/status/1043718510537396226

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You will never escape that hell, Takumi. We won't let you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/CourtRecords_/status/1043720915807174656

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TN: kokoro means heart

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So can someone explain to me the logistics of buying the game on a different Google account ? I know the process to do It, I'm just asking if a phone can have more than one Google account activated at the same time, or if the game works after you switch back to your own account. I don't want to keep switching back and forth.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there a potential security issue with downloading a weird app and giving it write permission for other apps? Wasn't that the issue with Fortnite's installer?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Argue posted:

Maybe some critical detail about the case prevents this, but with most of the game being set in England, I would have liked them to go full hamburger sushi and just localize Natsume Souseki as Edgar Allan Poe, and instead of using the title "Clouded Kokoro" used "Telltale Heart".

If this is the patch that was done by the same group that did the Fire Emblem Fates fan patch, don't hold your breath. Those folks explicitly said they wouldn't be doing any localization whatsoever, just straight translation.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
If that's true then my interest for the game is going to take a nose dive.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Argue posted:

Some critical detail about the case (and the rest of Souseki's role in both games) prevents this.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Meallan posted:

If that's true then my interest for the game is going to take a nose dive.

AFAIK these aren't the same people as Fire Emblem Fates. What they say about the translation:

ScarletStudy posted:

Will it be like AAI2’s fan localization?
Not quite. We will change puns and jokes so that they make sense in English, and there are only a few ancestors of familiar characters which will not be changed for the sake of keeping the original story intact. Continuing the “Americanizing” that Capcom have done for the rest of the Ace Attorney games is fairly impossible for this game. Also: many names in this game are references, like characters in Sherlock Holmes novels, changing them would mean losing those.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Ok ok that's great. I completely understand that. It will be almost impossible for them to Americanize it since there's specific references to japan; what I hate is 1:1 fan translators. Always reads horribly to me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There is not actually even such a thing as 1:1 translation. You cannot translate without also editing and interpreting. People who think they're doing a "literal" translation are probably just doing a bad translation.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Amppelix posted:

There is not actually even such a thing as 1:1 translation. You cannot translate without also editing and interpreting. People who think they're doing a "literal" translation are probably just doing a bad translation.

Yes. But often what sets me off and what I mean by 1:1 is "we tried to preserve the Japanese flavour" or "we tried to be as close to the Japanese as we can". It almost always ends up being a script where everyone sounds the same, with weird expressions and sentences not used in English, or something with san senpai domo everywhere

In ace attorney tho, the loss of people's mannerisms and characteristics and fun dialogue would just make it not worth it for me.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

AFAIK these aren't the same people as Fire Emblem Fates. What they say about the translation:
This statement seems OK to me, it's more important that they make it read naturally and localize the humour than for them to pretend this is happening in America.