Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

ratbert90 posted:

I am getting my 3 on Saturday. I am excited! Already have a VIN!

Nice, I get mine Friday! Which one did you choose?

Edit: Nevermind, I checked your post history. We're getting the same car :)

When did you order?

concise fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

concise posted:

When did you order?

#Model3goonsquad :getin:

Audi is taking a page from GM and intentionally trying to not sell it's E-Tron:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/24/audi-e-tron-dealer-stock-retail/#slide-7425610

Shocking, I know. The E-Tron is so ugly, it's like the worst combo of a CUV / Wagon I could imagine. I generally love Audi designs. like they make some of the best looking cars around but the E-Tron is just fugly.

VW recently showcased a cargo van based on the reto inspired Microbus they showed earlier this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/17882400/vw-volkswagen-id-buzz-cargo-van-concept-electric

Looks great, good specs. I hope they can delver, it's a cool platform. I would wait in line to get a new Microbus if it looks anything like the concept of course it won't, I'll probably get a Model Y by the time the bus is out

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

concise posted:

When did you order?

I ordered... 3 months ago? It wasn't too bad.

Dual motor, Deep Blue Metallic, and Auto pilot.
I'm in West Michigan, so I am taking the train from Grand Rapids to Chicago to pick it up on Saturday, then I am going to drive it back.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

stevewm posted:

Welcome to the club!

Some random pointers, in case you didn't already know:

3. Dunno if they are still doing this on the 2018 and 19... but at least on the 16 and 17 models, the entire interior is LED lights, EXCEPT for the rear cargo hatch light, which for some stupid reason is a very dim and yellow incandescent!. This bulb: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCGFNB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . is a perfect drop in LED replacement that is about 20x brighter than the factory incandescent, and is also the same color temperature as the rest of the interior lights. It takes about 2 minutes to swap it out.

I just did this today, perfect fit and I can confirm the 2018 still has a tiny dinky rear end incandescent on the hatch.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

ratbert90 posted:

I ordered... 3 months ago? It wasn't too bad.

Dual motor, Deep Blue Metallic, and Auto pilot.
I'm in West Michigan, so I am taking the train from Grand Rapids to Chicago to pick it up on Saturday, then I am going to drive it back.

Make sure they have it charged up, surprisingly mine was lower than 1/2 when I went to pick it up, which I noticed when they were giving the tour. I asked him to plug it in while we did paperwork and other stuff, I'm surprised he didn't offer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

Deep Blue Metallic

Objectively correct.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Subjunctive posted:

Objectively correct.

Yes. Next question, xpel stealth wrap?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Subjunctive posted:

Objectively correct.
Yes it is.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warrior Princess posted:

I just did this today, perfect fit and I can confirm the 2018 still has a tiny dinky rear end incandescent on the hatch.

It sucks it's only available as 2 pack. Don't really have a use for the second one! The license plate light uses the same bulb, but I think that one might be a bit too bright for that purpose........

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

concise posted:

Yes. Next question, xpel stealth wrap?

Wraps are good. But I will go with polish + ammo skin and wax.

OldPueblo posted:

Make sure they have it charged up, surprisingly mine was lower than 1/2 when I went to pick it up, which I noticed when they were giving the tour. I asked him to plug it in while we did paperwork and other stuff, I'm surprised he didn't offer.

Thanks! That’s good to know!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I've been considering a wrap for my precious chartreuse paint but I think the economics favors not doing it. I could protect the paint or I could just use that money to repair it if something happens.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm starting to toy around with the idea of buying a Volt. Is there anything additional I'd have to do with my garage to charge? Are there better EV's I should be considering? I'm assuming it'd be economical even with electricity costs since I work less than 5 miles from home, I'd theoretically charge it once a week roughly.

Edit: Basically school me on why this is/isn't a good idea

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You may already have 20 amp plugs in your garage which is more than enough to charge a volt. Regular 15 amp plugs are also fine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm starting to toy around with the idea of buying a Volt. Is there anything additional I'd have to do with my garage to charge? Are there better EV's I should be considering? I'm assuming it'd be economical even with electricity costs since I work less than 5 miles from home, I'd theoretically charge it once a week roughly.

Don't buy Tesla.

https://twitter.com/bobby_tips/status/1044711500764655616

https://twitter.com/MrHyd2000/status/1044661196266393600

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Elephanthead posted:

You may already have 20 amp plugs in your garage which is more than enough to charge a volt. Regular 15 amp plugs are also fine.

Oh interesting. I'll admit I don't know much about electrical work but I have family that can help identify that.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't buy Tesla.

I've definitely gathered that. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money either. There's a few 2017s around for 22k

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh interesting. I'll admit I don't know much about electrical work but I have family that can help identify that.
If you go to your breaker box, the breakers themselves should have the amps listed.

20 just gives you a little more headroom and lets the charging cable pull slightly more. It'll still dribble in though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

If you go to your breaker box, the breakers themselves should have the amps listed.

20 just gives you a little more headroom and lets the charging cable pull slightly more. It'll still dribble in though.

Ah. So how does this equate to the Level 1 and 2 charging I hear about? Having to take 12 hours to go to full isn't a only but knowing I can in 4.5 is nice

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you don't need to go far, used 1st gen Leafs can be had fairly cheaply in some areas. You do need to check the battery health bars first though.

As for charging... Both Gen1 and Gen2 Volts charge at a max of 12 Amps on a regular 120v plug. (1.4kW) This means a full charge will take around 11-12 hours, at least for Gen2... Gen1's had varying battery sizes depending on year.

Things are much faster on 240v.. Gen 1 Volts (2011 to 2015) charge at 3.3kW. While Gen2 Volts (2016 and up) charge at 3.6kW. For Gen2, this means a full charge is 4.5 hours.

2019 Volts have a 7.2kW charger available as an option, which would cut full charge time to around 2.5 hours.

"Level 1" charging is 120v charging using the common household outlet. "Level 2" is 240v charging. While "Level 3" would be DC fast charging, which the Volt does not support.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 26, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

I am getting my 3 on Saturday. I am excited! Already have a VIN!

I really sincerely hope that you actually get a car and they don't do the bait and switch with VINs at the last minute that's been rampant these last few months

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I bought a 2018 volt 1 week ago today, the only thing I regret is not going full EV. This thing is a total gateway drug and I don't think I can ever ever ever own a non-electric car ever again. Realistically, the volt is 100% EV for me outside of roadtrips and it is everything I need. Every typical destination I have is within 50 miles of my house or less in my little rural tri-city area. There are no public charging stations I can rely on and all I have is my 120v 20-amp outdoor GFCI plug on the outside of my tiny little townhouse. I live in northeast Mississippi, in Starkville. The EV support in this region is nearly non-existent, so having the gas engine to fall back on when I need to is something I heavily factored into my purchase, but in hindsight it was probably unnecessary since a Volt and a 120v plug is supporting my lifestyle 100% as is. I drove over 200 miles to buy this car, and since returning from that roadtrip, my Volt hasn't touched gas once except where I made it do it when I was playing around with the various drive modes. The seats are incredibly comfortable to me, but I'm also the guy who drove a Ford Ranger for over a decade and thinks those seats were the best seats in the world. I seriously have no real world complaints about the car so far.

Seriously that's my only regret with the chevy volt is that I didn't go full EV, and I'm in a practical dead-zone of EV support.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You can usually find Spark EVs for $10k or less. 70-75 mile range (82 originally)

I highly recommend it, if you can make it work for your situation.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

RZA Encryption posted:

You can usually find Spark EVs for $10k or less. 70-75 mile range (82 originally)

I highly recommend it, if you can make it work for your situation.

I second this. I love driving my wife's Spark EV when she needs the Model 3 for more people/cargo room. It's a fun car to rip around town. And they can do DC fast charging if you need to juice it up quick (make sure it has the option).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_k9mRYjj1w

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Ordered my DBM P3D+ on 8/14, picked it up 9/22. Mind blowingly good. It’s a loving magical ride, autopilot is eerily good, it’s faster than anything has any right to be, the visibility is incredible, and holy poo poo does Tesla know how to do interfaces.

Basically if you can swing a Tesla, get a Tesla. Test drive one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Teslabjørn is doing some range tests on the i-Pace. On FB he's saying:

quote:

If you drive at 90 km/h and get some tail wind, 370 km with I-Pace is possible. WLTP range is 470 km. Estimated available energy is 80.8 kWh, not 84.7 kWh that I heard before.

It seems to be thirstier for electrons than even the Model X. At 110 kph it does 249 Wh/km, vs Model X 216 Wh/km. Hopefully something that can be optimized through software.

e: some more info regarding that net capacity:

quote:

I-Pace has a buffer on top. I guess it is 4 kWh. At 100 % on display, it still charges at 20 kW right before it finishes. And when I start driving, I can regen about half power. This means you can charge to 100 % daily without having to worry that the battery will degrade faster. 100 % on display seems to be 95 % true SoC.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 26, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

the poi posted:

Ordered my DBM P3D+ on 8/14, picked it up 9/22. Mind blowingly good. It’s a loving magical ride, autopilot is eerily good, it’s faster than anything has any right to be, the visibility is incredible, and holy poo poo does Tesla know how to do interfaces.

Basically if you can swing a Tesla, get a Tesla. Test drive one.

I wanted the performance at first, but couldn’t justify the cost for 1 more second off 0 - 60. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ratbert90 posted:

I wanted the performance at first, but couldn’t justify the cost for 1 more second off 0 - 60. :smith:

Honestly, the base config is already so quick you can get into any spot merging into a highway or whatever, and you can make any new passenger go “whoa!” coming away from a light. I traded my P90D for a friend’s 70D for a week and after a day I adapted and didn’t really miss it.

I would still get a P for my next car if I could afford it, because my brain is broken, but it’s definitely an expensive toy with marginal result.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Honestly, the base config is already so quick you can get into any spot merging into a highway or whatever, and you can make any new passenger go whoa! coming away from a light. I traded my P90D for a friends 70D for a week and after a day I adapted and didnt really miss it.

I would still get a P for my next car if I could afford it, because my brain is broken, but its definitely an expensive toy with marginal result.

Yeah, I would have gone with just the RWD variant, but LOL Michigan winters.
Only one more year and I am out! :woop:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
^^^ Got a ride in a co workers new performance Model 3 and holy poo poo is it fast! But I'm still more then happy with my long range RWD, it's more them fast enough for any remotely legal driving :)

I finally got my T-Sportline 18" turbine wheels. Was supposed to get them early July but they were delayed multiple times.

I'm not going to put them on until spring now, since I will bet getting snow tires in a few weeks. They do look great I hope the matte black stays looking good.

I'm going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 since the internet says they are the best and I have not had proper snow tires in 15 years due to having AWD or 4WD vehicles.

Any other Tesla or ICE RWD winter car drivers have better suggestions?

Has anyone heard of a ski / snowboard roof rack yet for the Model 3? I think Elon tweeted that one would be out before winter but LOL Elon time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ola posted:

Teslabjørn is doing some range tests on the i-Pace. On FB he's saying:

It seems to be thirstier for electrons than even the Model X. At 110 kph it does 249 Wh/km, vs Model X 216 Wh/km. Hopefully something that can be optimized through software.

e: some more info regarding that net capacity:

Tesla optimizes for range much more than Jaguar did. The latter prioritized performance and a battery that doesn’t derate.

Gamesguy posted:

I had a current gen Jaguar, Audi's tech is literally miles ahead. Plus it's probably less likely to have electrical issues.

That said, I think the e-Tron is overpriced. It's basically a Q5 that costs $30k more. I don't know why the range is so low with a 95 kwh battery either.

How much does that actually translate into usable interior space though? The e-Tron has 57 cubic feet of cargo vs 52 for the Jag, and I doubt it has significantly more leg/head room. The i-pace definitely seems like a better designed car with the caveat that you have to deal with the godawful incontrol system and a company notorious for electrical issues.

The e-tron is based on the Q7, not the Q5. Interior space is about the same as a Q8 (which is also only a five-seater).

I agree that the I-Pace is probably more compelling wrt performance, but the back seat in the e-tron has more legroom, and the Audi gets a much better infotainment system. MMI is probably the best in the industry at this point.

Duck and Cover posted:

So pretty in case you haven't seen me post it in other threads.

That looks stunning in that color.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 26, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

R2s are very good when it's very cold, but not too good when it's above freezing and wet roads. Long braking distance, overly soft feel. If your winter temps have mild periods, check out the newer R3s, they are supposed to fix that issue. ContiVikingContact 6 and 7 are also very good in variable winters, not sure if they are sold in the US. Perhaps under another name.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

R2s are very good when it's very cold, but not too good when it's above freezing and wet roads. Long braking distance, overly soft feel. If your winter temps have mild periods, check out the newer R3s, they are supposed to fix that issue. ContiVikingContact 6 and 7 are also very good in variable winters, not sure if they are sold in the US. Perhaps under another name.

It is not that cold here in Denver, I'll look at the 3s I did not know about them. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Tesla optimizes for range much more than Jaguar did. The latter prioritized performance and a battery that doesn’t derate.

I'm not quite sure what derating is (not much of a car person), but my understanding is that Tesla batteries hold up quite well as they age. Are Jaguar's meaningfully better?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm also quite unsure how any range optimization Tesla has done hampers performance or increases degradation. The P85D got much improved range through a software update IIRC, something with torque sleep.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

^^^ Got a ride in a co workers new performance Model 3 and holy poo poo is it fast! But I'm still more then happy with my long range RWD, it's more them fast enough for any remotely legal driving :)

I finally got my T-Sportline 18" turbine wheels. Was supposed to get them early July but they were delayed multiple times.

I'm not going to put them on until spring now, since I will bet getting snow tires in a few weeks. They do look great I hope the matte black stays looking good.

I'm going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 since the internet says they are the best and I have not had proper snow tires in 15 years due to having AWD or 4WD vehicles.

Has anyone heard of a ski / snowboard roof rack yet for the Model 3? I think Elon tweeted that one would be out before winter but LOL Elon time.

Honestly you can't go wrong with Blizzaks. I had their performance snow ones on my Mx5 ages ago and they were excellent. I think the current designation is WS-80?
I've got X-ices for my Prius and they're good but the "performance" aspect on them has never been tested.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Honestly you can't go wrong with Blizzaks. I had their performance snow ones on my Mx5 ages ago and they were excellent. I think the current designation is WS-80?
I've got X-ices for my Prius and they're good but the "performance" aspect on them has never been tested.

I had always used Blizzaks in the past, they seem to be in the middle / bottom of internet winter tire review lists nowadays. I looked up, Tesla has stock / OEM winter tires "PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO" They get ok reviews in dry / wet driving along with good reviews for the snow. Maybe I'll go that route. They all cost around the same amount.

I have realized I'm over optimizing and pretty much any winter tire will probably be fine for me, but hey overthinking / overanalyzing is what internet car forums are all about!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not quite sure what derating is (not much of a car person), but my understanding is that Tesla batteries hold up quite well as they age. Are Jaguar's meaningfully better?

It’s not about battery longevity. If you drive a Tesla hard—say, on a race track—after a couple of laps the battery gets too hot and significantly limits your power. Jaguar wanted to make an EV that doesn’t do that, which is why it’s happy lapping race tracks.

Tesla has also prioritized low drag much more than anyone else. A Model X has a Cd of 0.24; the e-tron with virtual mirrors is 0.27 and the I-Pace is 0.29.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

It’s not about battery longevity. If you drive a Tesla hard—say, on a race track—after a couple of laps the battery gets too hot and significantly limits your power. Jaguar wanted to make an EV that doesn’t do that, which is why it’s happy lapping race tracks.

Tesla has also prioritized low drag much more than anyone else. A Model X has a Cd of 0.24; the e-tron with virtual mirrors is 0.27 and the I-Pace is 0.29.

Oh, cool -- thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spandexcajun posted:

It is not that cold here in Denver, I'll look at the 3s I did not know about them. Thanks!

The General Altimax Arctic is usually a good budget buy and decent all rounder
The Michelin X-Ice is also a good relatively inexpensive option

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

I have not had proper snow tires in 15 years due to having AWD or 4WD vehicles.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

drgitlin posted:

To expand on this, these are somewhat mutually exclusive objectives. Building an EV battery optimized for long range means it is difficult to optimize for high discharge rates (i.e. track performance) and vice versa.