Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

All seasons with AWD / FWD / 4WD are fine in the Denver metro area, even fine for driving up to the ski resorts in the winter. You don't really need snow tires unless you live in the mountains here or maybe have a powerful RWD car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The General Altimax Arctic is usually a good budget buy and decent all rounder
The Michelin X-Ice is also a good relatively inexpensive option

Thanks!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Another tip for Tesla winter tires which I guess applies in the US as much as in Norway: Loads of people sell their stock rims second hand as they go aftermarket. You may even get a fresh set of summers you can use when yours are worn out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spandexcajun posted:

All seasons with AWD / FWD / 4WD are fine in the Denver metro area, even fine for driving up to the ski resorts in the winter. You don't really need snow tires unless you live in the mountains here or maybe have a powerful RWD car.

Reminder that the majority of benefits of winter tires don't care what wheels are driven.

All cars use all four wheels for stopping and maintaining directional control. Driven wheels are only relevant to acceleration, which is rarely the actual issue when it comes to winter driving.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wolrah posted:

Reminder that the majority of benefits of winter tires don't care what wheels are driven.

All cars use all four wheels for stopping and maintaining directional control. Driven wheels are only relevant to acceleration, which is rarely the actual issue when it comes to winter driving.

:emptyquote:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My insurance meaningfully encourages me to have winters, though I would anyway because I'm boring and square.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
looks like the model 3 is finally getting app parity with the S/X in v9

quote:

Model 3

Calendar, Web Browser, and Energy applications are now all available in the Model 3, like they already were in Model S and Model X.

Calendar: The Calendar app allows you to view your phone’s calendar for the current and next day. The Calendar is conveniently integrated with Phone and Navigation so you can dial into a meeting or route to your next meeting with a single tap. For events to appear, you must connect your phone to your car via Bluetooth and allow calendar access by enabling Calendar Sync in the Tesla mobile app settings.

Web Browser: The Web browser app allows you to access the internet. Navigate to your desired website by entering the URL in the address bar. Easily return to your favorite sites by adding them to your Favorite using the heart icons.

Energy App: View energy consumption in real time for your Model 3. When there is an active navigation route, touch the Trip tab to view the projected energy consumption for the trip.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Now many more people can enjoy having to re-establish calendar sync every couple of weeks.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When people talk about "snow" tires or "winter" tires in this thread, it might be helpful to be more specific. Are you talking about all tires with a "M+S" on the sidewall, or actual studded snow tires?

The former is what governs many chain control checkpoints on US highways in the winter, but if you're living in snow for long stretches of the year the latter are a worthwhile seasonal swap (whose effectiveness is actively ruined by lots of dry road driving).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Aren't studs more useful for ice than snow?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yes but studs are often restricted by local ordinances.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

With the cover the Tesla wheels are so very ugly. Without the cover they only look alright. I have spoken so it shall be.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bawfuls posted:

When people talk about "snow" tires or "winter" tires in this thread, it might be helpful to be more specific. Are you talking about all tires with a "M+S" on the sidewall, or actual studded snow tires?

The former is what governs many chain control checkpoints on US highways in the winter, but if you're living in snow for long stretches of the year the latter are a worthwhile seasonal swap (whose effectiveness is actively ruined by lots of dry road driving).

Winter tires need not have studs to work properly, the reason they have grip in the snow is due to the tread pattern and rubber compound: https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/03/car-safety-tech-has-never-been-better-but-winter-driving-remains-all-about-tires/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Winter tires need not have studs to work properly, the reason they have grip in the snow is due to the tread pattern and rubber compound: https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/03/car-safety-tech-has-never-been-better-but-winter-driving-remains-all-about-tires/
Right, and there is overlap between these and M+S tires. My point is there's a broad range of tires that one could call "winter" or "snow" tires so people should be precise in their language when making comparisons.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wolrah posted:

Spoken like someone who's never been caught out by a sudden snow storm with their summer tires on in a light weight RWD convertible, or driven their friend's 4WD Xterra through the mountains and into Calgary during a huge snowstorm, equipped with snow tires, but boneheadedly forgot to put it into 4WD.
Acceleration becomes VERY relevant.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wolrah posted:

Wrong. That last line so wrong. Driven wheels are completely relavent at all times in all conditions (even mroe so in snow and ice) and especially for directional control.

Edit - Your driven wheels affect braking (Partly due to weight distribution of the driveline AND AWD having a mild ABS effect) and they definitely affect the way the car handles either on or off power. Driven wheels most certainly also affect available grip levels wether accelerating, braking, turning or sliding. And of course it defines the car's base weight distribution which has a major impact everywhere on the above.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 26, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

john wick is so cool

E: gently caress sorry no idea how this got here. Im posting on my Phone and again sorry. Just ignore this

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Charitably, wolrah might have meant something more like "FWD, AWD, RWD, you still benefit from winter tires," which is certainly true.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bawfuls posted:

Right, and there is overlap between these and M+S tires. My point is there's a broad range of tires that one could call "winter" or "snow" tires so people should be precise in their language when making comparisons.

This is incorrect. People should be precise in understanding what are fairly clearly established standards from the tire industry. M+S tires are all-season tires. They have some mud and packed snow capability and that's it. For a tire to be a winter tire it has to have the mountain and snowflake symbol on it. There are a few four-season tires with the mountain and snowflake but not many and those tend to be truck tires.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is incorrect. People should be precise in understanding what are fairly clearly established standards from the tire industry. M+S tires are all-season tires. They have some mud and packed snow capability and that's it. For a tire to be a winter tire it has to have the mountain and snowflake symbol on it. There are a few four-season tires with the mountain and snowflake but not many and those tend to be truck tires.

Yeah, so I was talking about what you call "M+S all seasons" vs dedicated snow "mountain and snowflake" symbol. In general, in Denver metro area you are fine with all seasons with any drive train, but especial AWD / FWD. Might be a few days a year you have trouble but that's about it. But in my past experience having higher HP RWD you for sure can get into trouble with even all seasons, mostly related to grip, tire spinning and getting stuck.

I once bought a used car that was from Arizona and it had "summer tires" whatever that means on it. Like the type that just don't really work in temps under 40F. I was ignorant to this and got stuck in my driveway in just a light dusting of snow. I did not even know such a tire existed outside of like a track / performance tire.

Of course turning / breaking are affected no matter the drive train, but here the weather patterns / snow plowing and road conditions make it mostly a non-issue. It might matter quite a bit more of you live in the high country and have to deal with much colder temps and a lot more snow.

Here is the Model 3 RWD with stock all seasons doing quite well in the snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJesZgW0Rlk

I think with proper snow tires, the electronic traction control and low center of gravity + weight distribution the RWD Model 3 will be a fine winter vehicle. I'm sure the AWD version is amazing.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Anecdotally, drivers in 4wd vehicles were much more likely to be stuck out in the deep snow off motorway runoffs near Oslo, probably because they thought their four driven wheels made them invincible to skidding in turns.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJesZgW0Rlk

I think with proper snow tires, the electronic traction control and low center of gravity + weight distribution the RWD Model 3 will be a fine winter vehicle. I'm sure the AWD version is amazing.

They did a follow up with Blizzack / snow tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSokMC3fncs&t=3s

Looks good.

Any model 3 owners know if enabling "Tire slip" mode is good enough traction control disabling so I can do donuts in snowy parking lots? The Model 3 cuts power instantly when it detects slips, I have not got the rear end end to slide but just a tiny bit so far on a wet road, but have not turned on the "tire slip" mode yet.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

pun pundit posted:

Anecdotally, drivers in 4wd vehicles were much more likely to be stuck out in the deep snow off motorway runoffs near Oslo, probably because they thought their four driven wheels made them invincible to skidding in turns.

Yep, see this all the time, particularly with trucks / SUVs (I'm looking at you every F-150 in a snowstorm) Just because you can go fast in the snow does not mean you can stop or turn....

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Here is an image from the Arstechnica article linked upthread about winter tires, showing a tire with both M+S designation and the snowflake-within-peaks. I don't know about other states, but in CA when the CHP does chain control, there are typically three levels of control and one of the requirements is "snow tires" where they consider M+S adequate for this. Hence plenty of room for confusion.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 26, 2018

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

With the cover the Tesla wheels are so very ugly. Without the cover they only look alright. I have spoken so it shall be.

I cannot wait until I burn up my original tire so I can put some gold cosmis on mine...

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In their defense: Denver doesn’t really have winter driving, on the rare occasion that there’s ice on the road you can usually wait a few hours or a day and the sun will melt it off.

There are rare exceptions like winter 06/07 but if your job is flexible you can avoid almost all ice/snow driving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bawfuls posted:

Here is an image from the Arstechnica article linked upthread about winter tires, showing a tire with both M+S designation and the snowflake-within-peaks. I don't know about other states, but in CA when the CHP does chain control, there are typically three levels of control and one of the requirements is "snow tires" where they consider M+S adequate for this. Hence plenty of room for confusion.

just because CHP is stupid doesn't mean that you have to be, too!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Finger Prince posted:

Spoken like someone who's never been caught out by a sudden snow storm with their summer tires on in a light weight RWD convertible
I put the Potenza RE-01Rs back on my 325i in early spring and got caught by a late ice storm, does that count?

quote:

or driven their friend's 4WD Xterra through the mountains and into Calgary during a huge snowstorm, equipped with snow tires, but boneheadedly forgot to put it into 4WD.
Acceleration becomes VERY relevant.
Mountains are the key part there, which is why I said rarely and not never. If you live in a mountainous area or often have to traverse steep hills in the winter, AWD/4WD is definitely very useful, especially when paired with proper tires.

There are definitely situations where acceleration is relevant to safety or even to just getting there in the first place, but the ability to maneuver and stop in a controlled manner is what matters far more often.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wrong. That last line so wrong. Driven wheels are completely relavent at all times in all conditions (even mroe so in snow and ice) and especially for directional control.

Edit - Your driven wheels affect braking (Partly due to weight distribution of the driveline AND AWD having a mild ABS effect) and they definitely affect the way the car handles either on or off power. Driven wheels most certainly also affect available grip levels wether accelerating, braking, turning or sliding. And of course it defines the car's base weight distribution which has a major impact everywhere on the above.
Technically correct, but I'm not talking about this from a perspective of skilled drivers trying to get the best performance out of their vehicles (or just screwing around for fun), I mean from the perspective of the average person who just wants to get from A to B while remaining in control. If those people get to a point where the driven wheels matter aside from the previously mentioned steep hills they're basically in the hands of their car's computers one way or another.

Performance winter driving is a completely different matter of course.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Someone mentioned XPEL PPF before. I got my model 3 wrapped with clear llumar (same as XPEL pretty much) with what the detailer called "level 3 protection" wrapped the whole front end, front bumper, full hood, front quarter panels. Also rocker panels, rear quarters panels and part of the rear under the trunk.

IDK, I was just going to do the front bumper and got talked into it. No regrets but it was more $$$ then I expected to pay. I also got a paint prep and ceramic coating, windows tint and chrome blackout.

The ceramic coating was for sure worth it, after a wash the car looks stunning, like the best wax job ever every time it's washed. It is also easy to wash since dirt / road grim does not stick to the ceramic coating as well.

I'm hoping in 3 - 5 years my paint will basically look new still, I have never had a vehicle nice enough to care before.

Here is my co-workers Model 3 performance (the one I got a ride in) fully wrapped in Matte Army Green:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoFGdYvB_3X/?taken-by=coloradodetail

It looks amazing in person. Not the colour I would have picked but it turned out great, a unique Model 3 to be sure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anything under the wrap is definitely going to be new, but you probably need the occasional refill of ceramic to keep that easy wash thing going. Perhaps a bottle of spray sealer will do. PPF seems to be very expensive compared to insurance payment and body panel swaps, but I guess there's something about peace of mind? That stuff can handle someone keying your car or a scrape against a lamp post. And certainly the inevitable rock chips.

I love the look of matte wraps in Instagram shots, but in real life it tends to be a bit more dull. Once it gets a dusting of road grime it looks like a school blackboard, I kind of want to take a piece of chalk and write "remember to buy winter tires, not M+S" somewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wolrah posted:

Technically correct, but I'm not talking about this from a perspective of skilled drivers trying to get the best performance out of their vehicles (or just screwing around for fun), I mean from the perspective of the average person who just wants to get from A to B while remaining in control. If those people get to a point where the driven wheels matter aside from the previously mentioned steep hills they're basically in the hands of their car's computers one way or another.

Performance winter driving is a completely different matter of course.

Techically correct????? Wut. I never said a thing suggesting this was about performance. What I said was flat out understand how to drive 101. This is understand this before going to the shops.

Driving to the snowfield with 15 cm of snow and icy roads aint racing the last time I looked. It also can put you in situations where your understanding of driving is challenged in extreme ways.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I don't like matte wraps at all. That green color is nice but it'd look way better in high gloss.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

Someone mentioned XPEL PPF before. I got my model 3 wrapped with clear llumar (same as XPEL pretty much) with what the detailer called "level 3 protection" wrapped the whole front end, front bumper, full hood, front quarter panels. Also rocker panels, rear quarters panels and part of the rear under the trunk.

IDK, I was just going to do the front bumper and got talked into it. No regrets but it was more $$$ then I expected to pay. I also got a paint prep and ceramic coating, windows tint and chrome blackout.

The ceramic coating was for sure worth it, after a wash the car looks stunning, like the best wax job ever every time it's washed. It is also easy to wash since dirt / road grim does not stick to the ceramic coating as well.

I'm hoping in 3 - 5 years my paint will basically look new still, I have never had a vehicle nice enough to care before.

Here is my co-workers Model 3 performance (the one I got a ride in) fully wrapped in Matte Army Green:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoFGdYvB_3X/?taken-by=coloradodetail

It looks amazing in person. Not the colour I would have picked but it turned out great, a unique Model 3 to be sure.

This is dumb. If the wrap doesn't have UV protection, it will yellow, if it does, the paint underneath will age at a different rate than unprotected paint on the doors and such, if you're being that anal about it anyways and are already throwing down the bills, why not do a full wrap and keep the lovely paint job nice and pristine for the next owner or whatever.

The sun is a giant glowing rear end in a top hat in the sky that wants to gently caress up everything we do, so you should cover everything or cover nothing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I had a set of studded General Arctic Altimax and I loved them. They were for my BMW 328is and I was living in Saskatchewan, so obviously the suitability of that particular configuration is going to vary quite a bit. My understanding is that "snow tires" is an outdated term that no longer has a real meaning, outside of perhaps off-road tires with giant fuckoff lugs for driving in deep, soft material like mud, sand, or snow. Nobody here is talking about that*. "Winter" tires have the M+S and mountain / snowflake symbol, indicating the rubber is made to stay flexible and provide good grip in cold temperatures, and *should* have improved (relative to other tires) grip on ice as well. Digging through snow to get to higher-grip layers underneath is a function of tire size and shape and other aspects of the vehicle and how it's being driven than about the tire rubber composition.

* Has anybody taken a AWD EV offroad? The Model X looks like a big dumb SUV, has anyone tried it out?

ilkhan posted:

Aren't studs more useful for ice than snow?
Yes. Studs provide grip when the surface is low-friction, solid, and soft enough for a piece of steel to penetrate. Ice is the obvious usage, summer-softened asphalt is the comedy / illegal situation. Snow turns to ice when temperatures fluctuate near freezing (melt-refreeze, repeat until Porsche meets tree) or when layers of snow are compressed by traffic before it can be plowed out of the way. If you live in a place where snow falls and sticks around for at least a few weeks or months before melting, you might find studded tires useful. They're restricted or regulated in most jurisdictions, but when I had mine in Saskatchewan that province gave no fucks and I could have worn them all year round. Winter tires are basically cheating for summer dirt-road competitive driving, doubly so for studs, and using them would get you put into the highest, "open" category in what we called "rally cross" (not nearly as cool as what the rest of the world does under that name), autocross-on-dirt events.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If there was a Dark Green model 3 with a Tan interior, I would have immediately and unequivocally bought that. As that's the best combination of colors in a car ever.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

* Has anybody taken a AWD EV offroad? The Model X looks like a big dumb SUV, has anyone tried it out?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie79Jk9Ob2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5EBczqJDRg
(the repair video contains a lot of stuff specific to him, mostly interesting to his vlog followers keeping up with some warranty issues)

It's not very good offroad, but pretty good in general "sport utility" conditions, particular that last stretch to a winter cabin on 3-4 inches of snow or similar. You can tell how it pitches around on bumps instead of letting the suspension travel absorb it. You see it even with the Model S on bumpy city streets. it pitches and rolls when ze Germans just soak it up and float. A bit too "sporty", or just not sophisticated enough. Good suspension has markedly different characteristics on slow and fast bumps.

Here's some fooling around in the snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxkwLccmEY

It beaches quite easily, but it does climb hills very well. That heavy, moist snow in the video packs up to a icy glaze real quick when you start spinning.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Whoops.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/tesla-falls-4percent-on-report-elon-musk-sued-by-sec.html

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ExecuDork posted:

At the I-Pace drive part of the route was off road. Everyone handled it fine except for the guy I was sharing the car with, who was supposed to be some hotshot off roading god that wouldn’t shut up about how much off roading he does. He got stuck on the hill.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ratbert90 posted:

If there was a Dark Green model 3 with a Tan interior, I would have immediately and unequivocally bought that. As that's the best combination of colors in a car ever.
This is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

This is dumb. If the wrap doesn't have UV protection, it will yellow, if it does, the paint underneath will age at a different rate than unprotected paint on the doors and such, if you're being that anal about it anyways and are already throwing down the bills, why not do a full wrap and keep the lovely paint job nice and pristine for the next owner or whatever.

The sun is a giant glowing rear end in a top hat in the sky that wants to gently caress up everything we do, so you should cover everything or cover nothing.

Uh, the whole point of PPF wraps like Xpel / SunTek / LLumar is that they don't do this. They have UV protection and warranty against yellowing.

"lovely paint job" What are you going on about? The paint on my car looks great. I have seen 10+ model 3s in person and none of them have had issues with paint.

You are talking about 1000's of $$$ of difference between wrapping the parts of the car most likely to get damage from rocks and bug vs the whole car.