Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bongo Bill posted:

Just don't look up how long ago your favorite video game was released.

I already know. :shepicide:

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind. 2002. 16 years. More than half my life. Just like this comic that I didn't start reading until 2010 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If memory serves, I caught up right as Thog and Elan burst into the hotel room in Azure City. Which was, by the way, a hell of a first impression.

Edit: 2006. I did my reading! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 27, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I had my own lovely geocities hosted sprite comic because of 8bit and now I'm feeling ancient again.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bongo Bill posted:

Dungeons of Daggorath in 1982, though I didn't really play it until 1986.

I loved it then for its atmosphere and (for me) difficulty, and love it now for all the features they could squeeze into four kilobytes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i think the first time I caught up was in the Azure City rebellion arc?? I was definitely in like, middle school though. After that I kept forgetting about the comic for a couple years, then binging the entire thing again, then forgetting about it over and over until the present day when I found this thread so I actually had some notification of when new strips went up

it's been a long journey, but I'm glad it's been a part of my life, no matter how intermittently. :unsmith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Too late. I'm playing Master of Orion lately, a game that was released in 1993.

It's a great game. I like playing friendly diplomatic Darloks.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

World Famous W posted:

I had my own lovely geocities hosted sprite comic because of 8bit and now I'm feeling ancient again.

Didn't we all?

The real question is, how many other people's shitcomics did your author avatar appear in?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Only one. And only cause I made a custom sprite (recolored sonic, ha) for them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bongo Bill posted:

It was Dragon Quest and it was before I was born but not by a lot.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's a great game. I like playing friendly diplomatic Darloks.

I guess that's easier than trying to play Silicoids like the Psilons. And, yeah, I haven't played a 4X game that has the sheer replayability of MOO.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lucas Archer posted:

Sluggy Freelance is still going? I stopped reading when there was some weird space sailing plot line with bun bun as a pirate or some bullshit.

Every now and then I look up some summaries to satisfy my curiosity on how he ridiculously he answered various plotlines (like what Oasis is, which he did recently Organically Augmented Stealth Incendiary Satellite is an AI housed on a satellite which remote controls vat grown bodies for pinpoint targeting of the satellite's beam weapon (her 'pyromancy') :allears:)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 28, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fun facts about Sluggy Freelance: recently, Pete Abrams' daughter drew a filler arc for the webcomic that's older than her.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So many of the webcomics I used to follow ended. Either the artist wanted to move on to something better or they felt like their work reached a reasonable stopping point. Sometimes the creator disappeared off the face of the planet (sometimes for the better). After I moved to a different point in my life, I was no longer obsessively looking for more content to consume.

And then after you're putting less time into reading your webcomics, you may fall behind on the ones you're not too keen on, which means the next time you revisit them, you've got a backlog to read, and so you start staying away to keep from having that trouble. I still have affection for El Goonish Shive, but that's a whole lot to go back and read, K6BD looks amazing, but that's a whole heck of a lot to go through.

Lucas Archer posted:

Sluggy Freelance is still going? I stopped reading when there was some weird space sailing plot line with bun bun as a pirate or some bullshit.

That was one of my favorite arcs. I also really liked that 4U city arc. Sluggy can be really interesting or fun when it's free to move about and invent weird settings, but when it goes back to the main cast to manage and collate all the decades of plotlines it's such a confusing arbitrary mess, and the drama never works. The comic keeps trying to take these old silly little stories and construct a serious drama out of them, and every time it's stupid.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i remember the timeless space arc being fun, yeah
i think your assessment is on the money; individual story arcs can be good, or well 'good' but together as a whole it's an overgrown mess

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
ClanBob got weird with the Gnosticism-powered Anime super-fights and the inability to tell the difference between parody and straight-faced cringiness, but that dumb comic will always hold a place in my memory. I found ClanBob through an ad on 8BT, I found Fark.com through an ad on ClanBob, and I found SA through a post on Fark. The nostalgia is kinda hitting me right now.

Oh poo poo, speaking of nostalgia: wthcomics.com

edit: Just remembered Megatokyo. Pull up, brain! Pull up! Abort!

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 28, 2018

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I guess that's easier than trying to play Silicoids like the Psilons. And, yeah, I haven't played a 4X game that has the sheer replayability of MOO.

MOO was great, but MOO2 was 10x better. So, so many wasted afternoons.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bell_ posted:

Dungeons of Daggorath in 1982, though I didn't really play it until 1986.

I loved it then for its atmosphere and (for me) difficulty, and love it now for all the features they could squeeze into four kilobytes.

Okay come on, no one's favorite game, in the year 2018, is Dungeons of Daggorath. I just checked out a quick Let's Play and holy poo poo, that's not even a timeless classic like Tetris or something, it's a standard first-person dungeon-crawler RPG from a time before graphics or sound were invented. I'm sure your nostalgia is kicking really hard when you look at it, but be real. It's like saying your favorite car is the Model T, like they haven't improved literally every single aspect of it in the last 35 years.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Phenotype posted:

Okay come on, no one's favorite game, in the year 2018, is Dungeons of Daggorath. I just checked out a quick Let's Play and holy poo poo, that's not even a timeless classic like Tetris or something, it's a standard first-person dungeon-crawler RPG from a time before graphics or sound were invented. I'm sure your nostalgia is kicking really hard when you look at it, but be real. It's like saying your favorite car is the Model T, like they haven't improved literally every single aspect of it in the last 35 years.

Nethack is still playable in 2018. (I agree about Dungeons of Daggorath, though. It was marginally playable back then, now it's poop.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

D1Sergo posted:

It's still going on, and it still hasn't escaped the black hole of plot that is the sad dying goth mary sue girl.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Something Positive is still going too, apparently.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

D1Sergo posted:

ClanBob got weird with the Gnosticism-powered Anime super-fights and the inability to tell the difference between parody and straight-faced cringiness, but that dumb comic will always hold a place in my memory. I found ClanBob through an ad on 8BT, I found Fark.com through an ad on ClanBob, and I found SA through a post on Fark. The nostalgia is kinda hitting me right now.

Oh poo poo, speaking of nostalgia: wthcomics.com

megatokyo is still going and despite occurring in our universe supposedly not enough time has passed for 9/11 to have happened

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Gynovore posted:

Nethack is still playable in 2018. (I agree about Dungeons of Daggorath, though. It was marginally playable back then, now it's poop.)

Oh yeah, but Nethack is ridiculously deep and does a lot with what it has (ascii!). That's why I mentioned timeless classics like Tetris! Some games just nailed their mechanics really early on. Dungeon-crawler CRPGs were not on that list though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

God drat it thread I saw a lot of new posts and thought there was a new comic but instead you all just made me feel old! drat you!

To make you feel old. I'm pretty sure I started reading the comic and this thread, before Azure City I'm pretty sure. I forget when exactly but that sounds right.

Bongo Bill posted:

October 28, 1998
Take a guess. You have a real blatant hint a little to the left of this post. It came out when I was 11, and it's nearly two decades old now jesus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shugojin posted:

megatokyo is still going
what

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

D1Sergo posted:

I bet like 2 days have passed in that stupid comic since I last looked at it in like 2004

Shugojin posted:

megatokyo is still going and despite occurring in our universe supposedly not enough time has passed for 9/11 to have happened

e: I knew it!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has the self-insert dude gotten the girl yet? I bet not.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Megatokyo still existing is fascinating. I had assumed it had Dead Piro Day'd itself into oblivion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Next you are going to tell me Brian Clevinger has quietly been keeping 8-Bit Theater running.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nope, 8-Bit Theater actually had a real ending and Clevinger's gone on to be a comic book author and stuff.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

he also puts up the comics online after they've been in print a while: https://www.atomic-robo.com

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Most all my old webcomics either ended (Queen of Wands, Absurd Notions, Ozy and Millie) or should have before they went off the rails. (GPF, Sinfest, S*P, Sluggy, Megatokyo, QC)

Surprised Real Life Comics just came back, though.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Manuel Calavera posted:

To make you feel old. I'm pretty sure I started reading the comic and this thread, before Azure City I'm pretty sure. I forget when exactly but that sounds right.

October 28, 1998
Take a guess. You have a real blatant hint a little to the left of this post. It came out when I was 11, and it's nearly two decades old now jesus.

Don’t feel bad, I still replay Baldur’s Gate regularly

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cat Mattress posted:

Fun facts about Sluggy Freelance: recently, Pete Abrams' daughter drew a filler arc for the webcomic that's older than her.

That's remarkably wholesome, actually.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I still reread Sluggy Freelance every five years or so. It used to take me about a week and now its between two and three. I won't argue the quality of it because what a huge mess but it's kind of a habit at this point.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Anyone who isn't reading Oglaf is messing up.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Potsticker posted:

Megatokyo still existing is fascinating. I had assumed it had Dead Piro Day'd itself into oblivion.

Megatokyo is amazing, because the tagline on the main page is still "Relax, we understand j00", a joke written 18 years ago by a person who quit the comic 17 years ago underneath a banner that was last updated 8 years ago, and yet, it persists....

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Megatokyo is amazing, because the tagline on the main page is still "Relax, we understand j00", a joke written 18 years ago by a person who quit the comic 17 years ago underneath a banner that was last updated 8 years ago, and yet, it persists....

Honestly that doesn't surprise me, especially going around checking old comics and seeing how little either site design has changed or even things like cast pages which haven't been updated in 10+ years.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Bongo Bill posted:

While watching SGDQ this summer, one couch dude says to the speedrunner: "You know, it's funny that you're running a game that's older than you are."

Game: Half-Life (released 1998). A game which I remember eagerly waiting for, and playing on release day.

Made me feel SUPER old.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Shugojin posted:

Okay but what does "still going" mean for a comic like megatokyo? Like how many actual pages have come out in the last five years? Ten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Okay but what does "still going" mean for a comic like megatokyo? Like how many actual pages have come out in the last five years? Ten?

Enough for the dude to bank two Gs a month from patreon, at any rate. Stuff like that and the dwarf fortress guys really make me regret not finding some nerd niche to exploit. Not that the webcomic guy even remotely compares to the DF guys -- holy poo poo do the DF guys clean up for what they do.