Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Skyarb posted:

Fanning chain pistols is hilarious. I don't think its broken because of how innacurate it is. At the range it becomes useful a shotgun probably would have done a better job. Though this is all based on videos I have watched.

gently caress it I'll buy this weird game.
Yeah, go for it. I played during the free weekend and that was enough to make my break my "NEVER BUY EARLY ACCESS" policy, something I've stuck to since DayZ. Fair warning, hitting tier-2 and getting dumped into genpop is like a brick wall though. And despite what that one dude said, development has been pretty brisk and seems to be following the roadmap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The good guns suck to fight against, but since I started running a Romero Talon with a regular ol' Caldwell revolver, I have killed a lot of poor idiots and not died yet. The Romero Talon is an insanely satisfying gun.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
stupid question but on youtube vids I see people talking about upgrading health bars. How do you even do that?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

texting my ex posted:

stupid question but on youtube vids I see people talking about upgrading health bars. How do you even do that?

I'll have to back up a bit first. When you get "killed" you're down but not out as long as your partner is still alive. If they're alive they can revive you. However every time you get downed you you permanently lose a health chunk. That health chunk can be regenerated in two ways. The better way is to just start the banishing on a boss. The other way is once you escape and get back to the main menu you can spend trait points to regenerate the health chunk. This obviously is wasting trait points that could be spent on traits.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What’s everyone’s take on scaling both gun costs and/or player bounty rewards by hunter tier gap? If you kill a tier 1 as a tier 3 you get $25 bucks, if you down a tier 3 while playing a tier 1 you get $80 bucks. Gun costs for higher tier hunters could be multiplied as well. Could be one way to recycle people through high and low tier hunters/guns on a regular basis.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Sard posted:

The good guns suck to fight against, but since I started running a Romero Talon with a regular ol' Caldwell revolver, I have killed a lot of poor idiots and not died yet. The Romero Talon is an insanely satisfying gun.

At least 50% of my deaths are due to melee, and melee weapons are very powerful at every stage of the game. Guns like the Talon that give you a melee weapon and a gun in the same slot are almost always worth it, especially when you're in those early tiers. If there was a side by side with a bayonet or a bladed stock it would be the most insane close quarters weapon in the game.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

What’s everyone’s take on scaling both gun costs and/or player bounty rewards by hunter tier gap? If you kill a tier 1 as a tier 3 you get $25 bucks, if you down a tier 3 while playing a tier 1 you get $80 bucks. Gun costs for higher tier hunters could be multiplied as well. Could be one way to recycle people through high and low tier hunters/guns on a regular basis.

To me the tier of the hunter is completely irrelevant. Not to sound like a broken record but the skill gap between someone whos under 100 and someone whos prestiged a couple of times is gigantic. I would suggest you get more money for each prestige level of the hunter you killed but theres also no incentive for anyone to actually prestige (but most people do because their lizard brain likes to see numbers go up, myself included).

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

At least 50% of my deaths are due to melee, and melee weapons are very powerful at every stage of the game. Guns like the Talon that give you a melee weapon and a gun in the same slot are almost always worth it, especially when you're in those early tiers. If there was a side by side with a bayonet or a bladed stock it would be the most insane close quarters weapon in the game.

there are shotguns with melee, they're either very good (see: Romero talon) or kinda total poo poo (see: spectre bayonet)
overall I'd say they're actually pretty well balanced.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
As a new player to the game, and terrible at everything, I can confirm the romero talon is the best gun to ever exist.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

there are shotguns with melee, they're either very good (see: Romero talon) or kinda total poo poo (see: spectre bayonet)
overall I'd say they're actually pretty well balanced.

Oh, I know. But the Talon only has one shot, the Hatchet has a short barrel, and the Spectre bayonet has the bad barrel + is a Spectre. The side-by-side can tap out a double shot as fast as a Crown King and has good range. That + melee would loving suck to deal with, since the one weakness in close combat is that reload.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I take it back some of the weapons are kinda unbalanced. The crown king is so much better than the spectre its not even funny. The Spectre is a mediocre shotgun that shoots nearly as slow as a romero. the crown and king really ought to cost like twice as much as it does.

Skyarb posted:

As a new player to the game, and terrible at everything, I can confirm the romero talon is the best gun to ever exist.

My dude have you tried the winfield talon

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have not because I don't think I have it unlocked yet. Seems good too, though I must prefer shotguns to rifles in this game. The romero is a solid blast canon.

edit: My queue times are incredibly long and sometimes I am placed in a map alone. Maybe I should have held off purchasing...

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 28, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Skyarb posted:

I have not because I don't think I have it unlocked yet. Seems good too, though I must prefer shotguns to rifles in this game. The romero is a solid blast canon.

edit: My queue times are incredibly long and sometimes I am placed in a map alone. Maybe I should have held off purchasing...

You might just need to break out of the first set of bloodline ranks? At Bloodline level 100, the only time I run into situations where I'm the only player in the game is around 12:30 AM Pacific. It's pretty quick to get into a game if I'm playing in the early evening and on.

Edit- Hah, and of course my first game tonight at 7:00 PM results in me being the only player. So I don't even know now...

Varkas fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 28, 2018

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

yeah, at <33 it only matches you with gen pop if your matchmaking timer goes all the way down. in gen pop matchmaking is pretty consistent.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I get placed into empty matches relatively often like I dont know... 10-15% of the time? I'm making that number up but its not an insignificant number.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

So I have been playing nonstop and got out of the beginners bracket. However I am still having trouble finding games but its fine I just reset the search if it is about to elapse.

Then this happened:

That was four tier 3's and one tier 2.

This was accomplished with a rival long barrel and a silenced nagant. I was solo on a duo map. Fun times.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 28, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Skyarb posted:

So I have been playing nonstop and got out of the beginners bracket. However I am still having trouble finding games but its fine I just reset the search if it is about to elapse.

Then this happened:

This was accomplished with a rival long barrel and a silenced nagant. I was solo on a duo map. Fun times.

:hmmyes:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

Then this happened:

:respek:

Here's another reminder to keep some distance between yourself and your partner, even when running full throttle to extraction...

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Skyarb posted:

Fanning chain pistols is hilarious. I don't think its broken because of how innacurate it is. At the range it becomes useful a shotgun probably would have done a better job. Though this is all based on videos I have watched.

gently caress it I'll buy this weird game.

You can be pretty accurate with the chain pistol. Just don't hold down the fire button. Unless I'm touching somebody I try to fire 'fast semi-auto' with it, and it helps a lot to get more shots on target. Oh and if I'm leaping down on top of someone I just hold the button down because :blastu:.

Sard posted:

Romero Talon is fantastic. I used to run it a lot before the shotgun buff but now it's actually viable to kill people in one shot outside of a 1m headshot.

One thing that helps a lot with shotgun consistency is to always ADS. I get really inconsistent damage if I just hipfire any shotgun, but ADSing seems to kill a lot more often.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I wish the Butcher's "there are people here" stomping was a little less similar to his normal stomping.

Props to the two guys who sat on him with Crown Kings for ten minutes though, waiting for someone to come fight him on a mostly empty server. Got the drop on me, dead to rights, emptied two CKs from ten feet, failed to kill me, then had to close for melee.

And one of them downed the other with his machete swing.

Should have just spiked my dynamite into the floor.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

AbsoluteLlama posted:

One thing that helps a lot with shotgun consistency is to always ADS. I get really inconsistent damage if I just hipfire any shotgun, but ADSing seems to kill a lot more often.

Huh I always thought ADSing the shotgun would be pointless, will have to give it a go.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Is this actually a thing because I have yet to notice any difference.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Basticle posted:

Is this actually a thing because I have yet to notice any difference.

I'm reasonably certain that shotgun ADS narrows the spread slightly and gives you fractionally more range. Could just be confirmation bias tho.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm reasonably certain that shotgun ADS narrows the spread slightly and gives you fractionally more range. Could just be confirmation bias tho.

Confirmation bias is my guess but idk

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that's the case.

Here's a recent video on this exact point.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

great video, but the very last thing he says is he is under the impression that moving or running or anything that increases your crosshair size will increase the pellet spread. if this is true thats pretty loving stupid but it would explain so much about my experiences with shotguns.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2018

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Basticle posted:

Yeah I didn't say it reduces the spread. I guess I'm just a much better aim when I use sights. The shot pattern is so inconsistent that it helps a lot to have good aim I guess.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Yeah I didn't say it reduces the spread. I guess I'm just a much better aim when I use sights. The shot pattern is so inconsistent that it helps a lot to have good aim I guess.

well you did say it increases damage so

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Basticle posted:

well you did say it increases damage so

???. I said I get inconsistent damage, which I guess is really directly related to my aim as opposed to ADSing, which helps me aim. In any case, I know a number of people that never ADSed before and had a lot more success with 1-shot kills after doing so. I don't have any data of ADS vs. no ADS to get real numbers or anything, but maybe people just have an easier time aiming with sights?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Semantics aside I could see why ADSing may get better results even if its just because it makes you aim better. I hate games where adsing reduces spread, it makes no loving sense!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Skyarb posted:

Semantics aside I could see why ADSing may get better results even if its just because it makes you aim better. I hate games where adsing reduces spread, it makes no loving sense!

Shotguns can have chokes in the barrels to get tighter spreads. You're just choking the gun manually! :haw:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Capn Beeb posted:

Shotguns can have chokes in the barrels to get tighter spreads. You're just choking the gun manually! :haw:

Only if they animate your dude cupping his hand around the barrel.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

this is a long video with not a lot of payoff unless you like seeing someone get killed with a romero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCcLKXKGwfg

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

derp didnt mean to make this post

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I don't get the dudes that continue to whine about how stealth doesn't work anymore when like half my deaths are stumbling into a shotgun ambush or taking a 40yard Sparks headshot.

I can't even be mad when I'm doing random ADAD runs through a meadow and someone manages to connect, though I do wish for a post-death cam, just to help me learn to spot people at a distance.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I don't get the dudes that continue to whine about how stealth doesn't work anymore when like half my deaths are stumbling into a shotgun ambush or taking a 40yard Sparks headshot.

I can't even be mad when I'm doing random ADAD runs through a meadow and someone manages to connect, though I do wish for a post-death cam, just to help me learn to spot people at a distance.

This is just my perspective as a new player in the gen pop pool now. I don't ever die to stealth. I have a great pair of headphones and can almost always hear someone approaching. Anytime I've died its because I did something stupid. Sometimes I will hear "something" but I just didn't know exactly where the person was.

I've never dropped dead by someone I never saw/heard coming, except for maybe people camping the boss. So in some ways I do think stealth can be pretty difficult in this game.

However most of my kills are a result of me being extra stealthy.

I also am now ending up in an empty game about one in every four games I matchmake now... I really wish they didn't add a solo only mode.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've come to the conclusion that playing this game while between level 34 and when you finally can buy tier 3 hunters (mid 50s?) is the loving worst. Under 33 and you're mostly playing against other tier 1s but after 34 you're forced to use hunters wearing bright clothes against lots of tier 3s and its the worst. The last couple of days I think my partner and I have like a 1 to 10 k/d ratio.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The bright clothes isn't even as much of a big deal as the choice of weapons. The lever action is a good gun, don't get me wrong, but when you're dealing with Sparks and Mosins and you can't even buy the Vet, it kind of blows.

Also they should remove the Hunters that start with two medium slots because there are an annoying amount of people who don't know they revert to large/small if you strip their weapons.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

the big deal is neither clothes nor weapon choices. yeah those both matter, but the BIG thing is post-33 you're getting dropped into the general population. No longer are you against the other rank 25 player, now you're against a rank 84 with 17 prestige ranks.
There is no population splitting besides "under 34" and "not". That is why you suddenly get a difficulty curve like running face first into a brick wall.
If you get killed by anyone 100 or with prestige ranks, dont feel bad at all about it. because when you finally get that bastard back it is SO sweet. And you will, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It doesn't help that at the moment, there are a lot of needlessly toxic dudes who just run around with Avtovats and act like assholes in VOIP for no reason. Doesn't exactly help grow the game.

It's more perception than reality, but when you're like 33 and you're suddenly fighting a wide array of new weapons and hard to spot models in the hands of veterans, it is a little intimidating.

Also the Avto needs a rework because maybe a gun that's effective at every range and good in every situation and penetrates cover like whoa is a little imba.