Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wrong. That last line so wrong. Driven wheels are completely relavent at all times in all conditions (even mroe so in snow and ice) and especially for directional control.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

Uh, the whole point of PPF wraps like Xpel / SunTek / LLumar is that they don't do this. They have UV protection and warranty against yellowing.

He's saying the unwrapped parts will deteriorate like normal paint does while the wrapped bits don't, which over time will create a difference.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

He's saying the unwrapped parts will deteriorate like normal paint does while the wrapped bits don't, which over time will create a difference.

Which is why I had the car coated with a high end ceramic coating, that also contains UV protection.

I get that I don't have some guarantee that if I remove the PPF in a few years the panels will look exactly the same, but I'm just not convinced it's a problem. The detailer I used wraps 1000's of cars a year and has repeat customers over the years. He has not seen real world examples of what you are saying, I asked about it specifically. That is the reasoning behind PPF + ceramic coating.

I just don't think it's a widespread problem. I could not find examples on internet car forums that would indicate this is some large issue with PPF. The biggest complaints are yellowing (solved problem if you don't use poo poo quality wrap) and peeling. My install warranties against peeling. Well and cost, sure it's debatable if it's financially worth it (probably not), but I did it to keep the car looking good as long as possible, not to make money / retain resale value.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

quote:

According to Musk, he calculated the $420 price per share based on a 20% premium over that day’s closing share price because he thought 20% was a “standard premium” in going-private transactions. This calculation resulted in a price of $419, and Musk stated that he rounded the price up to $420 because he had recently learned about the number’s significance in marijuana culture and thought his girlfriend “would find it funny, which admittedly is not a great reason to pick a price.”

Lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Once again, don't buy a Tesla. They're hosed.

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1045472592595996672

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If they do fail they will be bought.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how the gently caress do you get to be 47 years old, terminally online, tweeting all hours of the day, going to burning man, planning to live on mars, selling novelty toy flamethrowers, and never become aware of "the number's significance in marijuana culture" until your 30-year-old girlfriend tells you

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

how the gently caress do you get to be 47 years old, terminally online, tweeting all hours of the day, going to burning man, planning to live on mars, selling novelty toy flamethrowers, and never become aware of "the number's significance in marijuana culture" until your 30-year-old girlfriend tells you

Well, in South Africa, they write it 20/4.

Hopefully someone competent takes over Tesla that can do damage control on all of Musk's forced errors.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I saw they're looking to bar him from running the company. If that happens I'd have more faith in their success, personally.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

creationist believer posted:

Well, in South Africa, they write it 20/4.

Hopefully someone competent takes over Tesla that can do damage control on all of Musk's forced errors.

4:20 or 16:20 is not written 20/4 anywhere. Do you think 420 is a reference to a date rather than a time of day??

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

4:20 or 16:20 is not written 20/4 anywhere. Do you think 420 is a reference to a date rather than a time of day??

Um, yeah. Haven't you heard the famous quote "smoke weed every year"?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.truedelta.com/reliability-by-generation?o=2&d=AESC

Duck and Cover posted:

If they do fail they will be bought.
Sure, but that doesn't mean the new buyer will honor the old warranty.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Can't it be both? I mean, April 20th is known as the weed day where people have smoke outs in parks and stuff in places where its not or quasi-legal, and I'm pretty sure if you smoke weed at 4:20 on 4/20 you get like extra double high.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it sometimes is? People get dumb on April 20th around here at least.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

I am also in favour of Muskless Tesla.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 28, 2018

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.truedelta.com/reliability-by-generation?o=2&d=AESC

You risk losing the Apple like cult devotion to the Tesla brand.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Oh, the plot thickens. Isn't the only logic reason they would do something like this is if they thought the SEC had a weak sauce case and they were ready to go to court and win?

It's not like Elon's legal team are dumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spandexcajun posted:

Which is why I had the car coated with a high end ceramic coating, that also contains UV protection.

I get that I don't have some guarantee that if I remove the PPF in a few years the panels will look exactly the same, but I'm just not convinced it's a problem. The detailer I used wraps 1000's of cars a year and has repeat customers over the years. He has not seen real world examples of what you are saying, I asked about it specifically. That is the reasoning behind PPF + ceramic coating.

I just don't think it's a widespread problem. I could not find examples on internet car forums that would indicate this is some large issue with PPF. The biggest complaints are yellowing (solved problem if you don't use poo poo quality wrap) and peeling. My install warranties against peeling. Well and cost, sure it's debatable if it's financially worth it (probably not), but I did it to keep the car looking good as long as possible, not to make money / retain resale value.

Yeah I think you'll be fine. You risk getting a color difference by parking your car the same orientation in the driveway every day as well, in theory. Not a big deal, or even a small deal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spandexcajun posted:

Oh, the plot thickens. Isn't the only logic reason they would do something like this is if they thought the SEC had a weak sauce case and they were ready to go to court and win?

While his legal team might be smart Elon himself is Very Dumb.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

spandexcajun posted:

No. SEC settlements are typically brutal, it's very different from criminal cases where making a deal tends to be much better than going to trial.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2014/01/29/why-settling-with-the-sec-can-be-worse-than-losing-at-trial/#7577c0714b54

This is anecdotal but I was involved in a SEC suit where the deal the defendant agreed to was literally everything the SEC wanted in the original complaint.

quote:

Yeah but they might have done this because Elon told them to.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 28, 2018

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

spandexcajun posted:

Lawyers do all the strategic thinking and advising, but ultimately the client makes decisions like this. Have you seen Elon's decision making lately?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have some scratches that make me wish I’d done a coating or something, but I never even thought about it at the time. Probably not worth it now even if I get those touched up (and blended, ugh)...

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I did just a ceramic coating on my first Model S, and the rock chips in the dark blue paint drive me nuts. Went with a wrap on the new one, and it is pristine a year later. Definitely costs a decent amount, but if you care about the paint I think it's worth it. You can always repaint, but I like keeping it pristine to begin with.

edit: I also think a musk-less Tesla isn't a bad thing long term.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gamesguy posted:

No. SEC settlements are typically brutal, it's very different from criminal cases where making a deal tends to be much better than going to trial.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2014/01/29/why-settling-with-the-sec-can-be-worse-than-losing-at-trial/#7577c0714b54

This is anecdotal but I was involved in a SEC suit where the deal the defendant agreed to was literally everything the SEC wanted in the original complaint.

Yeah but they might have done this because Elon told them to.

So, Elon just said "YOLO" and this is a big dick waiving contest?

I mean, I guess but that is so unlikely it's pretty hard to swallow.

Tesla board fully supporting Elon. SEC filed in NY rather then CA. A CA jury would laugh this off. I'm thinking this is a nothing burger and the SEC has a hard case to prove. The whole internet is acting like this is some smoking gun proving once and forever Elon / Tesla is the big fraud they have been calling all along.

But the SEC has to go to court and prove all of this. It's hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone was "was reckless in not knowing" something. It's one thing to say not knowing is no excuse, but that is not the same thing as reckless. Reckless implies malice or disregard. It's a really slippery thing for a jury. All Elon has to do is say "I did not know...."

Meanwhile, Model 3 deliveries are thought the roof. Auto Reviewers are eating there words (reluctant ones even) and have no choice but to admit how wonderful of a car the 3 is and Tesla has created brand loyalty arguably as strong as Steve Job's era Apple, maybe even stronger.

IDK, "Elon Musk is dumb" just does not work for me. It's to simple and this is not a simple story.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spandexcajun posted:

Tesla board fully supporting Elon. SEC filed in NY rather then CA. A CA jury would laugh this off. I'm thinking this is a nothing burger and the SEC has a hard case to prove. The whole internet is acting like this is some smoking gun proving once and forever Elon / Tesla is the big fraud they have been calling all along.

But the SEC has to go to court and prove all of this. It's hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone was "was reckless in not knowing" something. It's one thing to say not knowing is no excuse, but that is not the same thing as reckless. Reckless implies malice or disregard. It's a really slippery thing for a jury. All Elon has to do is say "I did not know...."

Meanwhile, Model 3 deliveries are thought the roof. Auto Reviewers are eating there words (reluctant ones even) and have no choice but to admit how wonderful of a car the 3 is and Tesla has created brand loyalty arguably as strong as Steve Job's era Apple, maybe even stronger.

IDK, "Elon Musk is dumb" just does not work for me. It's to simple and this is not a simple story.

Your avatar is pretty accurate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

spandexcajun posted:

Just say FUD. You know you want to.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

Have you been in a coma for the last 5 years or...?

spandexcajun posted:

Also this is not true. The CEO of a publicly traded company is legally required to know these things. Admitting he tweeted it without knowing would be an admission of guilt.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

spandexcajun posted:

Why? Have you seen his tweets?

quote:

The SEC filed in NY because Tesla Motors, a publicly traded company, is listed on the NASDAQ, which is located in Southern District of New York, the place where said suit was filed.

Like are you a real person? What went through your mind when you decided that "a CA jury would laugh this off" but not a NY jury? Explain your reasoning.

quote:

No they don't. They merely need a preponderance of the evidence seeing as how this is a civil case. And it's trivial to prove Elon Musk was reckless in not knowing, because knowing about proper procedure to make such an announcement and knowing you can't lie about "funding secured" is literally his job as CEO.

quote:

You're delusional.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 28, 2018

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Also, Tesla's filing documents with the SEC and investors included Elon Musk's social media accounts as an official source of investment reporting. *uncomfortably tugs shirt collar*

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elon may very well be in serious trouble, but so is this thread if we keep going on about him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sorry but the high profile, cult-of-personality CEO of the most important electric car company in business today being charged with securities fraud by the SEC is a big deal for EVs and will inevitably dominate any EV discussion in the short term.

Musk getting ousted and legally prohibited from holding any upper management positions would IMO be the best thing to happen to Tesla (and more broadly EVs in general) in years. The fact that this might happen before he drives the company irreversibly into the ground is a blessing.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 28, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spandexcajun posted:

ignorance does not make you innocent and if elon tries to play that he is hosed. hes going to look like a loving idiot, more than he already does. your idol is done.

model 3 deliveries are through the roof (to dusty desert holding lots). model 3 rejections are through the roof because qa is through the floor. bait and switching owners is also through the roof, so are whompy wheels. model 3s were already questionable but you're a dingus if you buy one in full knowledge of this case and all of teslas issues

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 28, 2018

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

Sorry but the high profile, cult-of-personality CEO of the most important electric car company in business today being charged with securities fraud by the SEC is a big deal for EVs and will inevitably dominate any EV discussion in the short term.

Musk getting ousted and legally prohibited from holding any upper management positions would IMO be the best thing to happen to Tesla (and more broadly EVs in general) in years. The fact that this might happen before he drives the company irreversibly into the ground is a blessing.

As long as no one starts talking about how much they enjoy "twisting the knife" into Elon-haters/supporters.

I have a Nissan Leaf and it suits my needs.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

underage at the vape shop posted:

ignorance does not make you innocent and if elon tries to play that he is hosed. hes going to look like a loving idiot, more than he already does. your idol is done.

model 3 deliveries are through the roof (to dusty desert holding lots). model 3 rejections are through the roof because qa is through the floor. bait and switching owners is also through the roof, so are whompy wheels. model 3s were already questionable but you're a dingus if you buy one in full knowledge of this case and all of teslas issues

yolo swag 420 can't wait for my poo poo mobile

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

concise posted:

yolo swag 420 can't wait for my poo poo mobile

i hope you get one of the good ones and never need to claim warranty ever

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Apology accepted, but no that is not inevitable, it's just what you want to spend your internet posting time doing. The last thread got closed because of this. There is an Elon thread elsewhere.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I've been able to own and daily drive 4 different Teslas over the last 8+ years without any quality or warranty issues. Glad I was one of the lucky ones. I'll keep upping my sample size and tell you when they finally turn to poo poo.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

spandexcajun posted:

source your quotes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gamesguy posted:

Or maintain spares.

I've been saying for years that my main dread of Tesla is that given their techbro attitudes they're going to inevitably treat automotive parts like IT spares, where 'obsolete' gear becomes impossible to source parts for as soon as the warranty expires.

Tesla getting bought out by an actual automotive manufacturer might be a boon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Tesla won't cut spares after warranty because spare parts is absurdly, wildly profitable.

If a real OEM buys Tesla, I think it will be for components, and I think it's more likely that a T1 buys them than an OEM for that reason. Supporting Tesla's product will be difficult and there are so many things wrong with Fremont that will require a lot of time and effort to fix.

The idea that Elon Musk can get out of an SEC complaint of this magnitude by saying "i didn't know!!!!" is hilarious to me.

edit: the best possible long term outcome for Tesla is if Elon is barred from being CEO and they remain independent - but the problem is that so much of the valuation is tied up in Elon that they might not be able to survive in the near term.