Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's really difficult to get spare parts for Teslas that have been "blacklisted". They're like Apple in that they don't seem to be subject to "right to repair" laws. I'm not an expert at this so feel free to correct me, I've just watched Rich Rebuilds videos on YouTube and he can't get parts directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
first of all, that doesn't mean you can't get your car fixed - it's just restricted so that you have to go through Tesla. Not saying this is a good thing for the consumer, but that is not the same thing as "I can't get parts." I can certainly understand why Tesla does not want to sell parts directly to consumers in the market. I also would not want to sell parts to some dude rebuilding salvage title cars in his garage.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever read about cars and theres a dude itt arguing drive type is irrelevant to handling and grip

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Tesla won't cut spares after warranty because spare parts is absurdly, wildly profitable.

Doesn't Tesla run their service department at break even? I recall them making a thing about that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

eeenmachine posted:

I've been able to own and daily drive 4 different Teslas over the last 8+ years without any quality or warranty issues. Glad I was one of the lucky ones. I'll keep upping my sample size and tell you when they finally turn to poo poo.

There have been bits falling off every car they’ve lent us as press.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Liquid Communism posted:

Or maintain spares.

I've been saying for years that my main dread of Tesla is that given their techbro attitudes they're going to inevitably treat automotive parts like IT spares, where 'obsolete' gear becomes impossible to source parts for as soon as the warranty expires.

Tesla getting bought out by an actual automotive manufacturer might be a boon.

Spares are even more complicated by the fact Tesla doesn’t use model years and will change the design of a car multiple times, so you might think you need part A but actually you need part Q because yours was built on the fourth Wednesday of the month when the dude on the line was too busy selling crystal meth to his coworkers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn't Tesla run their service department at break even? I recall them making a thing about that.

couple things: running service at break even is not the same thing as not making money on parts, technically speaking, you could price up parts to your service org and then have them install them at purchase price

and lol if you think that will continue once they hit a decent UIO base there's way too much money in it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They certainly presented it as the whole maintenance business, specifically in contrast to other manufacturers using them as a profit center. But indeed, the future is hard to predict, especially with the prospect (please please) of a leadership change. I’m just describing what they’ve said so far; I wouldn’t be able to tell if they added some padding to parts. I haven’t needed any yet other than voluntary upgrades like the LTE modem, which I assume is different from repairs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

something like 40% of profit dollars at an OEM come from spare parts, Tesla would be exceedingly stupid to pass it up

right now they have enough scaling and service delivery issues for warranty alone that it makes sense to treat the division as a cost center but that will change with enough units on the road

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tesla is too large to go bankrupt. Their infrastructure and supply lines will be bought by another company if Elon is ousted.

Probably VW, as they also have a fast charging network, and Tesla will become a pure electric arm of said company.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also would not want to sell parts to some dude rebuilding salvage title cars in his garage.
What? This is extremely common with normal cars. Like a significant portion of AI is project car threads. They’re not all salvages but people swap/modify/restore cars on their own all the time with a mix of aftermarket and OEM parts.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also would not want to sell parts to some dude rebuilding salvage title cars in his garage.

Lmbo, literally every single car company does this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GM will sell you a brand new LS engine in a crate ffs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bawfuls posted:

What? This is extremely common with normal cars. Like a significant portion of AI is project car threads. They’re not all salvages but people swap/modify/restore cars on their own all the time with a mix of aftermarket and OEM parts.

I am well aware of that but if I were Tesla, specifically, selling a premium product that is relatively new, I would do pretty much anything I could to avoid having people restore salvage title cars. There's too much brand risk. If one of those catches on fire or something goes wrong, Tesla is certainly going to get blamed.

It's a little different than with mass market ICE cars - there's already an established channel and there's a lot less brand risk if something goes wrong. If some guy rebuilds his Malibu and it catches fire, it's an average Friday in Southeast Michigan. But for EV the tech is so new and proprietary and newsworthy that even the traditional OEMs have similar policies. GM will sell you an LS crate engine but the dealer is not supposed to sell you a Bolt battery over the counter.

At some point there is going to be a robust aftermarket for electric vehicles but it just will not happen at sub-1% of vehicles sold.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Tesla is too large to go bankrupt. Their infrastructure and supply lines will be bought by another company if Elon is ousted.

Probably VW, as they also have a fast charging network, and Tesla will become a pure electric arm of said company.

what do you mean infrastructure and supply lines? the only attractive bits are really the supercharger network and the battery factory. their supply chain is amateur hour and represents a rounding error to other OEMs - not a criticism of Tesla, just kind of how it works as a small player.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
A fire in a Malibu doesn't reach the news. A fire in a Tesla is front page news for a week. I wouldn't want to sell parts either. Right or wrong, that's the way it is and the way it will remain until the cars blend in as just another car. Another year or two at most.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GM will sell you an LS crate engine but the dealer is not supposed to sell you a Bolt battery over the counter.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-parts/2018/chevrolet/bolt-ev/premier-trim/electric-engine/electrical-cat/battery-scat

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

have you tried to actually order it

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

BlackMK4 posted:

have you tried to actually order it

I'd try if the price was closer to 13 dollars and not 13 grand, but it lets me add it to the cart and go to checkout.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am well aware of that but if I were Tesla, specifically, selling a premium product that is relatively new, I would do pretty much anything I could to avoid having people restore salvage title cars. There's too much brand risk. If one of those catches on fire or something goes wrong, Tesla is certainly going to get blamed.

It's a little different than with mass market ICE cars - there's already an established channel and there's a lot less brand risk if something goes wrong. If some guy rebuilds his Malibu and it catches fire, it's an average Friday in Southeast Michigan. But for EV the tech is so new and proprietary and newsworthy that even the traditional OEMs have similar policies. GM will sell you an LS crate engine but the dealer is not supposed to sell you a Bolt battery over the counter.

At some point there is going to be a robust aftermarket for electric vehicles but it just will not happen at sub-1% of vehicles sold.
There is already a market for Tesla battery modules (and motors) removed from salvaged vehicles. Tesla batteries are in fact the most popular battery choice for EV conversions currently, because of their energy density. And I'm aware of at least one idiot who burned down (at least part of) his house because he didn't take proper precaution with the Tesla modules he used in a DIY conversion. Yes this market is quite small at the moment, but that ship has already sailed.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 28, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is no good logical friendly reason that Tesla doesn't sell parts. They do it because (1) they are assholes who think they still own the car after you've bought it, and don't want anyone but Tesla people poking around inside, and (2) they literally can't build replacement parts fast enough to supply anyone but official repair centers.

(1) is indicated by how Tesla blacklists cars when you plug into the debugging port, how they refuse to provide service manuals in any state except MA (where they are required to by law, and still they only rent them out by the hour), how they force software updates or downgrades at their whim, etc.

(2) is indicated by the extremely long waits that people have reported at service centers and the multiple times they've had to send their car in to have the same part replaced again and again.

They certainly aren't required to sell parts to anyone who asks, but it's just hostile not to. It's not like anyone is going to discover any trade secrets that they couldn't by just buying a junkyard Model S and cutting it up.

Also it is federal law that an auto manufacturer must make replacement parts available for at least the length of the vehicle's warranty period. I don't know what Tesla's warranties are like but if they're really changing their designs as rapidly as it sounds, staying in compliance with that law is going to be a logistics hell.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 28, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Description:
High voltage. Bolt.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-parts/gm-battery-24278905

Almost twice what I paid for the whole dang car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

There is no good logical friendly reason that Tesla doesn't sell parts. They do it because (1) they are assholes who think they still own the car after you've bought it, and don't want anyone but Tesla people poking around inside, and (2) they literally can't build replacement parts fast enough to supply anyone but official repair centers.

(1) is indicated by how Tesla blacklists cars when you plug into the debugging port, how they refuse to provide service manuals in any state except MA (where they are required to by law, and still they only rent them out by the hour), how they force software updates or downgrades at their whim, etc.

(2) is indicated by the extremely long waits that people have reported at service centers and the multiple times they've had to send their car in to have the same part replaced again and again.

They certainly aren't required to sell parts to anyone who asks, but it's just hostile not to. It's not like anyone is going to discover any trade secrets that they couldn't by just buying a junkyard Model S and cutting it up.

Also it is federal law that an auto manufacturer must make replacement parts available for at least the length of the vehicle's warranty period. I don't know what Tesla's warranties are like but if they're really changing their designs as rapidly as it sounds, staying in compliance with that law is going to be a logistics hell.

Your point 1 is certainly valid, but point 2 is really just (unfortunately) modern logistics and supply chain management. Spare parts on a shelf is dead money that counts against you for your various tax fiddles. For a lot of stuff I don't doubt that even Tesla can't order any more spares from their suppliers to sell on to you, because their suppliers are producing exactly the amount required for production and no more, because they don't want to warehouse parts either. GM likely doesn't have as big a problem with this, because the amount of OEM spares being ordered at GM dealers is a rounding error compared to production and they have... let's call it a "legacy" business model.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gee I wonder why the interior isn't super amazing (it's fine except I think the driver seat is a bit too narrow) in the Bolt.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 28, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Gee I wonder why the interior isn't super amazing (it's fine except I think the driver seat is a bit too narrow) in the Bolt.

That links for the spark ev. Sorry if that didn't carry through in the link.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Finger Prince posted:

Your point 1 is certainly valid, but point 2 is really just (unfortunately) modern logistics and supply chain management. Spare parts on a shelf is dead money that counts against you for your various tax fiddles. For a lot of stuff I don't doubt that even Tesla can't order any more spares from their suppliers to sell on to you, because their suppliers are producing exactly the amount required for production and no more, because they don't want to warehouse parts either. GM likely doesn't have as big a problem with this, because the amount of OEM spares being ordered at GM dealers is a rounding error compared to production and they have... let's call it a "legacy" business model.

You are in a subforum about working on your own cars calling it a legacy model. Being able to repair your own car is incredibly good for you. Most things that go wrong on cars should not require you to wait for papa musks blessings. Selling spares is ludicrously profitable for car companies. You don't have any idea what you are talking about, whats it like being in a cult of personality

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

You are in a subforum about working on your own cars calling it a legacy model. Being able to repair your own car is incredibly good for you. Most things that go wrong on cars should not require you to wait for papa musks blessings. Selling spares is ludicrously profitable for car companies. You don't have any idea what you are talking about, whats it like being in a cult of personality

:allears:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

That links for the spark ev. Sorry if that didn't carry through in the link.

It did if I paid attention. It really doesn't matter though the point is batteries aren't cheap.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Duck and Cover posted:

It did if I paid attention. It really doesn't matter though the point is the sparks batteries aren't cheap.

I fixed that for you. The volts battery is like 3 grand and the bolt is 13 grand. Who the gently caress knows why the spark battery is 18 grand. It’s like 1kwh bigger than the volts.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Warrior Princess posted:

I fixed that for you. The volts battery is like 3 grand and the bolt is 13 grand. Who the gently caress knows why the spark battery is 18 grand. It’s like 1kwh bigger than the volts.

Well okay that's weird.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Warrior Princess posted:

Probably has to do something with Spark EV battery production economy of scale. GM only made around 7,500 spark EV's total. The machinery configuration needed to produce for that line of batteries is probably where the inherent overage of cost comes from. In 2017 GM sold around 22,000 Bolts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

And they stopped making them because they were
T O O G O O D

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

RZA Encryption posted:

And they stopped making them because they were
T O O G O O D

This will be the Tesla tagline.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

You got me, you're definitely not blindly following elons cult. His logistics are bad and the reason he has to """disrupt""" american logistics is because he tried to have his way with the train companies and the companies rightly told him to gently caress off. There are teslas sitting in railway lots that customers can see through the fence that the railway won't release because tesla won't pay what they owe. The railway companies got to the point where they ripped up their rail spurs at tesla factories because they got sick of his poo poo. He is currently lying out his rear end, trying to pacify customers who are paying loans on cars they haven't receieved by claiming there's a shortage of trucks. The truck coorporations say thats a flat out lie, there is no shortage, he's just not taking it because QA is in the shitter and teslas inventory is in a horrendous state. They shouldn't even have inventory, teslas system is all about custom building your car. They have inventory because they pumped up production to satisfy investors and elons attitude of "waaaah the shorts" without customers to match the cars too. These cars are rotting in holding lots, many of them poorly built with mould and water issues inside the cars. They aren't even producing as many as they say they are.

Don't buy tesla right now, they don't make spare parts, and the companies just lost 10% of their stock value. They have massive debts that are coming due that they were planning to pay with equity in the company that they most likely now can't. There's a good chance your tesla will be irrepairable in the near future. There's a very good chance they are about to take a massive hit when their 3rd quarter figures show that deliveries are way, way under production rates. Teslas in a bad way.

Literally no company on earth has issues producing spares. Tesla doesn't do it because they are greedy assholes. Imagine being blacklisted from the 1 place that can repair your car because you tried to pull the codes. Jesus christ. If you think that is fair or reasonable then you know literally nothing about cars.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 29, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a feeling they will get through it anyway.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Are we allowed to buy Teslas if we don't plan on keeping them past warranty?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Charles posted:

I have a feeling they will get through it anyway.

Maybe but

NY Times posted:

Tesla had $2.2 billion in cash at the end of the second quarter, but has been using up nearly a $1 billion every three months. It also has about $11 billion in debt, and owed its suppliers $3 billion as of June 30

They have 1 billion dollars due in the next few months and are still burning money

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

underage at the vape shop posted:

They have 1 billion dollars due in the next few months and are still burning money
Maybe still burning money. Supposed to be profitable this quarter, and they already beat production their goal for production numbers, supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know how much profit they make on each car, but they're going to have to sell a whole loving lot more than the 30,000
Models 3 they've made so far to pay 11 billion dollars of debt. Those 30000 cars only add up to about 2 billion dollars of revenue, which means at most like, I don't know, 200 million dollars of profit? and that's assuming they're all the $65,000 model -- if they ever start selling the cheap one those margins are going to shrink to almost nothing.

How much of that debt do they have to pay by November to not be in default?