Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a person who works for a large auto manufacturer and loves Tesla, they need to hire some real manufacturing experience high ups and fix their poo poo.

It's all about shaving fractions of pennies off every process to make the most efficient and streamlined end to end production environment as possible

I have to imagine you've not followed the news of their production process. The first step in making an efficient, streamlined, end-to-end production environment at Tesla would involve a hydrogen bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Discendo Vox posted:

I have to imagine you've not followed the news of their production process. The first step in making an efficient, streamlined, end-to-end production environment at Tesla would involve a hydrogen bomb.

I don't disagree. It's just sad to see.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As a person who works for a large auto manufacturer and loves Tesla, they need to hire some real manufacturing experience high ups and fix their poo poo.

It's all about shaving fractions of pennies off every process to make the most efficient and streamlined end to end production environment as possible

Looks like they're going to get the chance, SEC has filed suit against them and one of the demands is that Ol' Muskie never be allowed to serve on the board of a public corp again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/tesla-falls-4percent-on-report-elon-musk-sued-by-sec.html

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It will be vaguely sad to see Tesla ending up as a brand of Toyota or Ford or whoever, but also hilarious to see it succeed once Musk's hands are pried off the wheel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son loves burritos, and loves sandwiches. When he asked for a burrito sandwich I had the idea of making cornbread. The flavours were great but the bread was quite dense and rubbery. Any good recipes for cornbread. Unfortunately it has to be gluten free. Thanks!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I like the serious eats brown butter recipe. Works well as muffins too. Sometimes I'll throw green onions and serranos in too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

therattle posted:

My son loves burritos, and loves sandwiches. When he asked for a burrito sandwich I had the idea of making cornbread. The flavours were great but the bread was quite dense and rubbery. Any good recipes for cornbread. Unfortunately it has to be gluten free. Thanks!

Just wrap pb&j into a tortilla. Bam! Burrito sandwich :haw:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Just wrap pb&j into a tortilla. Bam! Burrito sandwich :haw:

Yeah, we’re going the other direction of putting burrito ingredients into cornbread, but thanks for your helpful suggestion. :argh:

sweat poteto posted:

I like the serious eats brown butter recipe. Works well as muffins too. Sometimes I'll throw green onions and serranos in too.

Cool, thanks, I’ll check it out.
Hm, it calls for flour. I guess I’d sub in GF. I would also need to get sour cream and buttermilk.

therattle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 29, 2018

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

therattle posted:

Hm, it calls for flour. I guess I’d sub in GF. I would also need to get sour cream and buttermilk.

Ah true, forgot about that. There's a comment on it:

quote:

I’ve made this with corn flour, which is really fine cornmeal, and it was great. Just comes out even softer and fluffier.

I think it'd be quite flexible. Likewise on the dairy I'd think yogurt would work too.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

therattle posted:

Yeah, we’re going the other direction of putting burrito ingredients into cornbread, but thanks for your helpful suggestion. :argh:

Cool, thanks, I’ll check it out.

Look up arepas.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

Why aren't you just using corn tortillas?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I mean if you just want to make something else that's cool. But I'm not understanding the part where you start out with I want a cross between a sandwich and a burrito and end up building it around something that's not normally a part of either.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

A burrito sandwich already exists and it's called a torta.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

Look up arepas.

Arepas look great but also like they need a specific flour.

SubG posted:

I mean if you just want to make something else that's cool. But I'm not understanding the part where you start out with I want a cross between a sandwich and a burrito and end up building it around something that's not normally a part of either.

We normally make them with corn tortillas. But my son loves sandwiches and asked for a burrito sandwich - so I thought of cornbread. A sandwich with burrito ingredients n normal bread wouldn't work, especially normal GF bread (which isn't great), but I thought that a burrito sandwich with cornbread would work - and it did. I thought I'd explained it (at least partly) but feel free to argue. Wouldn't be the first time.

sweat poteto posted:

Ah true, forgot about that. There's a comment on it:

I think it'd be quite flexible. Likewise on the dairy I'd think yogurt would work too.

Subbing yoghurt is a good idea and I have some in the fridge (always do). I don't have corn flour, just cornflour and cornmeal, but I suspect then that subbing GF flour would probably work. Thank you!

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 29, 2018

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The cornbread ideas sound really good too but for real, try making arepas sometime if you can, it really does sound like it’s exactly what you want. Worst case: they are loving delicious anyway.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

therattle posted:

Arepas look great but also like they need a specific flour.

We normally make them with corn tortillas. But my son loves sandwiches and asked for a burrito sandwich - so I thought of cornbread. A sandwich with burrito ingredients n normal bread wouldn't work, especially normal GF bread (which isn't great), but I thought that a burrito sandwich with cornbread would work - and it did. I thought I'd explained it (at least partly) but feel free to argue. Wouldn't be the first time.

Subbing yoghurt is a good idea and I have some in the fridge (always do). I don't have corn flour, just cornflour and cornmeal, but I suspect then that subbing GF flour would probably work. Thank you!

Another option would be to make pupusas. They're made with masa, super easy and fun to form, and can be filled with anything. Burrito sandwiches!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hawkgirl posted:

The cornbread ideas sound really good too but for real, try making arepas sometime if you can, it really does sound like it’s exactly what you want. Worst case: they are loving delicious anyway.

Yeah, they look awesome and actually more suitable for what I’m intending, but I don’t know how easy it’ll be to get that flour here in the uk.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Another option would be to make pupusas. They're made with masa, super easy and fun to form, and can be filled with anything. Burrito sandwiches!

Those also look great, thanks. I don’t know if masa is easily available here but I’ve never looked. I’ll keep an eye out for that and masarepa.

For now it’ll be cornbread. I’ll be baking with him so something relatively simple is good. Burrito sandwiches with cornbread are actually really good!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Yeah, they look awesome and actually more suitable for what I’m intending, but I don’t know how easy it’ll be to get that flour here in the uk.

I buy it on Amazon

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I buy it on Amazon

Cool, you can send me some, thanks! :haw:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

Logistics and distribution of wealth.

Nah - all disasters are localised - it is all about logistics.

Late to jump in - but soylent does not bring anything to the table - it is vegan, it is bulky, and it requires clean water to work properly... The nutritional density is off as gently caress when it comes to solving anything hunger related, and it only generates waste issues..

It is, for all means and purposes, idiotic and a complete waste. So it will probably catch on, like syphilitic hookers in 1850s Boston - just make sure that when 'mothers against hunger' starts to send this in 40' containers to the emergency units, they include the mercury urethra syringes against syphilis, because that will be as effective and as wanted.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As always, Happy Hat lays out the truth.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As always, Happy Hat lays out the truth.

I’m sure it’s true of disaster areas but when it comes to general distribution of food I would be surprised if income didn’t feature. That said, I don’t know much about it.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I’m sure it’s true of disaster areas but when it comes to general distribution of food I would be surprised if income didn’t feature. That said, I don’t know much about it.

An interesting read...

https://ourworldindata.org/food-per-person

You're of course right, but if you ignore the outliers, it is not as if the average caloric intake per capita varies wildly. I think the per capita ratio of food:housing is about the same, so basically if they have a lovely income (in comparison to e.g. the US), the food is relatively cheaper.

Food isn't really distributed much, which is also why disasters are so localised, and when you're talking about "solving" world hunger, the income distribution has very little to do with the transportability of the food (if low-income societies become more rich, the income inequality makes sure that it is mainly the rich who gets richer, not really creating an incentive to move food across borders).

It is cheaper to move Nike trainers than to move food, and the price of moving Nike trainers from China to the US is (per pair of shoes) less than the price you pay to VISA to clear the payment. (that has zero bearing on the argument, but it is an interesting factoid from one of the largest transport companies in the world).

So basically - if you're a rich society, you are able to pay the extreme discrepancy in wages and the transport cost of moving food, if you're a poor society it will never be feasible to move food to feed the hungry (except in case of disasters, where good-hearted people ship off food).

So basically...

Yes - you're not wrong - if the hungry had money, they would have food - but if they had money, they would eat locally grown food, until they had such a surplus that they would not be hungry... (setting aside humanitarian disasters).

There's certain indexes, btw, that are used to measure the impact of a disaster - one of them is the change in the exchange rate for local currency and USD (localised exchange rates and deflation starts to happen), the price elasticity of a prostitute (a reduction of the price of a prostitute to 1/10 of the local minimum wage is considered catastrophic), the price of rice etc.

The most efficient emergency relief aid to move is, by the way, American dollars..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 30, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

An interesting read...

https://ourworldindata.org/food-per-person

You're of course right, but if you ignore the outliers, it is not as if the average caloric intake per capita varies wildly. I think the per capita ratio of food:housing is about the same, so basically if they have a lovely income (in comparison to e.g. the US), the food is relatively cheaper.

Food isn't really distributed much, which is also why disasters are so localised, and when you're talking about "solving" world hunger, the income distribution has very little to do with the transportability of the food (if low-income societies become more rich, the income inequality makes sure that it is mainly the rich who gets richer, not really creating an incentive to move food across borders).

It is cheaper to move Nike trainers than to move food, and the price of moving Nike trainers from China to the US is (per pair of shoes) less than the price you pay to VISA to clear the payment. (that has zero bearing on the argument, but it is an interesting factoid from one of the largest transport companies in the world).

So basically - if you're a rich society, you are able to pay the extreme discrepancy in wages and the transport cost of moving food, if you're a poor society it will never be feasible to move food to feed the hungry (except in case of disasters, where good-hearted people ship off food).

So basically...

Yes - you're not wrong - if the hungry had money, they would have food - but if they had money, they would eat locally grown food, until they had such a surplus that they would not be hungry... (setting aside humanitarian disasters).

There's certain indexes, btw, that are used to measure the impact of a disaster - one of them is the change in the exchange rate for local currency and USD (localised exchange rates and deflation starts to happen), the price elasticity of a prostitute (a reduction of the price of a prostitute to 1/10 of the local minimum wage is considered catastrophic), the price of rice etc.

The most efficient emergency relief aid to move is, by the way, American dollars..

Thanks! Very interesting. So when aid workers use prostitutes they’re actually trying to keep the prostitute price index from falling to a catastrophic level?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Ahh... there's p. much no faster way to get fired...

Picking up black babies against their will and taking them to the US is entirely kosher though...

It's called the Jolie move.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Happy Hat posted:

Ahh... there's p. much no faster way to get fired...

Picking up black babies against their will and taking them to the US is entirely kosher though...

It's called the Jolie move.

Do you have a thread where you just talk about this kind of stuff? I could honestly read it all day.

e. I should clarify I mean ab out the disaster relief, food supplies, economics stuff. Not specifically kidnapping babies.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 1, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Tangentially food related; my dog's an rear end in a top hat. She loves carbs. She's learned she can stand up and snag bread bags off the kitchen counters. She's gotten bread, flour tortillas, bagels and the like. I have to go through my kitchen every day to make sure she can't get to anything but I inevitably forget and she's determined. rear end in a top hat dog, bread will make you fat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Croatoan posted:

Tangentially food related; my dog's an rear end in a top hat. She loves carbs. She's learned she can stand up and snag bread bags off the kitchen counters. She's gotten bread, flour tortillas, bagels and the like. I have to go through my kitchen every day to make sure she can't get to anything but I inevitably forget and she's determined. rear end in a top hat dog, bread will make you fat.

Ah yes - counter surfin'. Phase 2 will involve eating the bags of bread underneath beds or whatever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Give the dog some lentils. Dogs LOVE lentils.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's a good prank

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey food safety nerds, I recently switched over to expensive pasture raised eggs because I like happy birds. I'm wondering though if I need to start being more cautious about eating raw eggs with these? I know that modern farming has made eggs really drat safe and I'd have to eat a raw one a day for like 20 years or whatever to get food poisoning but is that the same with pasture raised? Instead of living their whole life in a cage these ladies get like 162 square feet each to run around and eat all sorts of bugs and I want to eat their unfertilized children raw like the good lord intended (ok cookie dough and ramen).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Increase your xanax dose and eat the drat eggs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No caesar salad? No dice.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wash the shell before you crack it and accept the infinitesimal chance of getting sick. If you're worried about it enough to cause stress then invest in a sous vide machine so you can pasteurize your own eggs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Unless you're feeding immunocompromised, super old, or super young people those raw eggs, quick wash before cracking is fine.

Been eating tamago kake gohan from local hippie farm eggs for ages and it's been delicious as gently caress.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Croatoan posted:

Hey food safety nerds, I recently switched over to expensive pasture raised eggs because I like happy birds. I'm wondering though if I need to start being more cautious about eating raw eggs with these? I know that modern farming has made eggs really drat safe and I'd have to eat a raw one a day for like 20 years or whatever to get food poisoning but is that the same with pasture raised? Instead of living their whole life in a cage these ladies get like 162 square feet each to run around and eat all sorts of bugs and I want to eat their unfertilized children raw like the good lord intended (ok cookie dough and ramen).

raw egg consumption is still against USDA guidance...that said, I can better evaluate your actual risk if you tell me about the supplier. Where do you buy them, is there a USDA cert mark on the package? What does it look like? Can you give me the actual supplier name?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 14, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
dicendo vox scans his spreadsheet of egg suppliers with intense concentration

he won't lose another poster on his watch, not ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Health Dept. Reports are public knowledge so you don't exactly need a self maintained spreadsheet