Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

like there's i think a major misunderstanding that people have about just how many resources they consume, and what sort of infrastructure there is behind the scenes to handle that. they just don't have a concept of how big a farm is and how much land worldwide is devoted to food production

example: a student wants to build the

that goes in the corner of your apartment. and i ask them: what is the benefit of this over a window box? and they say oh, families can use it to supplement their meals with vegetables, or whatever. and i raise an eyebrow and ask them to do some math on how much space a hypothetical food crop (let's say tomatoes) needs, and how quickly it grows, and how much food a family consumes per week, and come back with an analysis of just how big an offset this would make.

another recent example: guy who wants to make a machine that takes your food waste and composts it into methane which is fed back into your house's gas system, thus turning food scraps into energy savings. even setting aside the infrastructure problems with plumbing and code and such, i just have a really bad feeling about how much natural gas your e.g. water heater or stove uses compared to how much you can get from one family's decaying food scraps

or solar panels. loving everybody has this idea that you can just stick a solar cell on your $product and never worry about batteries again. two minutes of math shows how it doesn't work but everyone goes "oh, but like, even if you let it charge all day?" and i'm like yes look your thing draws two orders of magnitude more power than you can produce

laws of.. thermodynamics?? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

like there's i think a major misunderstanding that people have about just how many resources they consume, and what sort of infrastructure there is behind the scenes to handle that. they just don't have a concept of how big a farm is and how much land worldwide is devoted to food production

example: a student wants to build the

that goes in the corner of your apartment. and i ask them: what is the benefit of this over a window box? and they say oh, families can use it to supplement their meals with vegetables, or whatever. and i raise an eyebrow and ask them to do some math on how much space a hypothetical food crop (let's say tomatoes) needs, and how quickly it grows, and how much food a family consumes per week, and come back with an analysis of just how big an offset this would make.

another recent example: guy who wants to make a machine that takes your food waste and composts it into methane which is fed back into your house's gas system, thus turning food scraps into energy savings. even setting aside the infrastructure problems with plumbing and code and such, i just have a really bad feeling about how much natural gas your e.g. water heater or stove uses compared to how much you can get from one family's decaying food scraps

or solar panels. loving everybody has this idea that you can just stick a solar cell on your $product and never worry about batteries again. two minutes of math shows how it doesn't work but everyone goes "oh, but like, even if you let it charge all day?" and i'm like yes look your thing draws two orders of magnitude more power than you can produce

CH4 harvesting is getting interresting on the level above single household waste disposal. The only thing thats really worth it for the household (and only for an actual house) is solar panels and only when you have a good chance of saving on your daily energy use since most countries energy providers completely gently caress you over on the money you get for sending power out from your house compared to buying it from them. I think i would get 7 Cents per kWh whereas the provider asks for almost 30 cents per kWh on the turnaround.

what really should get a CH4 recycling treatmend is industrialized animal farms not only because of the amount of energy that gets released as stink instead of... well useful energy, but also because of CH4 having 30 times the green house effect per mass of CO2.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Now you know how I feel as a bank investigator watching bitcoiners slam headlong into problems banking solved like a thousand years ago.

yeah near the end of the course you'd have a unit on specific contemporary topics, so you'd pick a couple of prominent kickstarters that violate conservation of energy or whatever, and it would definitely talk about bitcoins.

mystes posted:

To put this another way, if it was that easy to grow a family's worth of food in a small amount of space with minimal effort, the neolithic revolution wouldn't have resulted in civilization in the first place, and we would all be living by ourselves growing our own food.

right. and you could talk about, again, thermodynamics -- "well what if someday we genetically engineer a plant that grows a whole fruit salad in two seconds, like in futurama?" -- "let's estimate the volume of atmospheric carbon dioxide required to produce that much vegetable matter, and compare the energy in the resulting vacuum implosion to sticks of dynamite"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
if you ask me it’s prayer in school that we need!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the funniest poo poo is when people are like "all farms should be permaculture" and then they get incensed if u point out that in order to have a permaculture farm you basically can't export any of the food beyond the farm boundaries, especially not to a city dozens of miles away

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Combat Theory posted:

CH4 harvesting is getting interresting on the level above single household waste disposal. The only thing thats really worth it for the household (and only for an actual house) is solar panels and only when you have a good chance of saving on your daily energy use since most countries energy providers completely gently caress you over on the money you get for sending power out from your house compared to buying it from them. I think i would get 7 Cents per kWh whereas the provider asks for almost 30 cents per kWh on the turnaround.
or you can be really loving stupid like CT and pass a law expanding renewable energy requirements for utility companies and ban net metering for individual customers who install solar/wind power after the end of this year.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

GWBBQ posted:

or you can be really loving stupid like CT and pass a law expanding renewable energy requirements for utility companies and ban net metering for individual customers who install solar/wind power after the end of this year.

That's some serious efforts at bullshitting the consumer I would say.

Also we don't get any net metering here which is a shame, because our government likes doing all sorts of crazy poo poo in the name of environmental protection... Apart from stuff that could actually lead to sustainable environmental protection.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fishmech posted:

the funniest poo poo is when people are like "all farms should be permaculture" and then they get incensed if u point out that in order to have a permaculture farm you basically can't export any of the food beyond the farm boundaries, especially not to a city dozens of miles away

sounds like a good tradeoff to me

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAUXTON posted:

Now you know how I feel as a bank investigator watching bitcoiners slam headlong into problems banking solved like a thousand years ago.

heartily amused?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fart simpson posted:

sounds like a good tradeoff to me

ye the thing is they're all people who dont want to go live on/right next to the farm

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shifty Pony posted:

heartily amused?

p much "let's see how you disrupt your fat rear end into reinventing the internal transfer"

"excuse me well actually have you heard of lightning and sidechains"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAUXTON posted:

p much "let's see how you disrupt your fat rear end into reinventing the internal transfer"

"excuse me well actually have you heard of lightning and sidechains"

I'm sure that helps make it more bearable. when I get a crappy patent application at my job it always makes me a feel a bit better to smack it down with references that are 70+ years old or a textbook with "introductory" or "basics" in the title.

I'd rather not be dealing with crap at all but since I sometimes have to I'm not going to go out of my way to be subtle about how bad an idea it was in the first place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm sure that helps make it more bearable. when I get a crappy patent application at my job it always makes me a feel a bit better to smack it down with references that are 70+ years old or a textbook with "introductory" or "basics" in the title.

I'd rather not be dealing with crap at all but since I sometimes have to I'm not going to go out of my way to be subtle about how bad an idea it was in the first place.

i would love to learn more about how patents are evaluated, but i don't know any people who do it in real life and patent attorneys won't just chat to you about things for free. ever considered making a thread?

how do all these incredibly stupid and obvious tech patents get passed, anyway? like, for instance, i built a motorcycle thing that lights up the back of your helmet in sync with the brake lights. looked up patents on a lark and discovered that someone had patented that concept in 2013. and also in 2005. and in 1998. and in 1982. and in 1973. not all exactly the same, obviously, but the basic idea of "light on your helmet that is radio or wire controlled to turn on when you brake" was consistent throughout all of them -- enough that certainly by 2013 it should have been considered prior art. i know that specific details of implementation are patentable, but then on the flip side every one of those patents also described like 10 different "also we are proposing this version and this version and this version" and it just seemed like they were all in conflict with each other.

if you have the time, i'd love to hear your ideas about how that kind of stuff happens

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Sagebrush posted:

i would love to learn more about how patents are evaluated, but i don't know any people who do it in real life and patent attorneys won't just chat to you about things for free. ever considered making a thread?

how do all these incredibly stupid and obvious tech patents get passed, anyway? like, for instance, i built a motorcycle thing that lights up the back of your helmet in sync with the brake lights. looked up patents on a lark and discovered that someone had patented that concept in 2013. and also in 2005. and in 1998. and in 1982. and in 1973. not all exactly the same, obviously, but the basic idea of "light on your helmet that is radio or wire controlled to turn on when you brake" was consistent throughout all of them -- enough that certainly by 2013 it should have been considered prior art. i know that specific details of implementation are patentable, but then on the flip side every one of those patents also described like 10 different "also we are proposing this version and this version and this version" and it just seemed like they were all in conflict with each other.

if you have the time, i'd love to hear your ideas about how that kind of stuff happens

One key thing to understand is that getting a patent does not give you permission to do something. It allows you to block others from doing something. The examiners are overworked and not all that concerned about accidentally letting an invalid patent through. Many of those could be overturned in a court through prior art. Patents these days are basically granted to those who can afford the lawyers to push them through, and are used in the same way as countries use nukes. "All of us have so many patents that none of us know which or how many would hold up in court. If you sue us, we will sue back. It will always be cheaper to settle."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
with regards to all the different "and this thing, and this thing, and this thing" sections, it's to do with how patent litigation works

suppose you wrote a patent that patented "a helmet light that lights up the back of your helmet when you brake, by means of a wire connected to the brake drum". that patent then wouldn't stop someone from building the same thing but attaching the wire to the brake lever, or by using a radio signal, or anything like that. so patents are written more like

"a light affixed to to the back of a helmet"
"that lights up when the rider brakes"
"by means of an electrical wire"
"attached to the brake drum"

as four separate clauses. the earliest (and most general) clauses are unlikely to be patentable (prior art, obviousness, etc.), the latest (and most specific) clauses could conceivably be worked around, but somewhere in the middle is the magic combination of clauses that's novel and specific enough to be patentable while still general enough to apply to whatever you're suing over.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hello, I'm looking for a thread where an engineer reminisced about their experience working at TESLA. Was told it would be in YOSPOS. Anyone care to link me to the thread? Thanks.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

why in the world is elon musk

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

nevermind im not gonna finish the sentence

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

greetings fellow yosteens, can you please direct me to where the cool cats are discussing tesla's valuable internal trade secrets? mondo thanks

mystes
May 31, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

greetings fellow yosteens, can you please direct me to where the cool cats are discussing tesla's valuable internal trade secrets? mondo thanks
What valuable internal trade secrets?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

get elon to post in fyad

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mystes posted:

What valuable internal trade secrets?

you know. the ones. all of them

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my favorite part was where elon hired a big-gun lawyer and that lawyer's only counsel wrt the SEC cases was to tell him "settle, you fool"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i heard grimes is a goonette

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

grime is a common goonette attribute

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i got a yet another litigation doc hold notice last week over a patent for "sending a message that has an emoji using a cell phone." most software patents really are beyond the pale.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and in the end patents barely matter anyway because someone in china will inevitably rip you off and sell your stuff through fifty whac-a-mole online retailers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Poniard posted:

get elon to post in fyad

train him to tcc

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

President Beep posted:

train him to tcc

put on a sexy wig, talk to him about living in a simulation, and then convince to tweet on jenkem

ur sacrifice will be honored :tipshat:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
maybe lowtax can become one of the independent board members required by the settlement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

and in the end patents barely matter anyway because someone in china will inevitably rip you off and sell your stuff through fifty whac-a-mole online retailers

a lot of ppl who complain about this forgot to file their patent in china also

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

maybe lowtax can become one of the independent board members required by the settlement

I thought they wanted people with the spine to stand up to musk

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

:yikes:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lowtax got the good spine not some cast aluminum one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"my bumper might fall off if it rains hard but now i can play atari games on my car!"

https://twitter.com/marc_benton/status/1046746987314335747

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

a lot of ppl who complain about this forgot to file their patent in china also

well yeah they won’t get it anyway

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

"my bumper might fall off if it rains hard but now i can play atari games on my car!"

https://twitter.com/marc_benton/status/1046746987314335747

All I can think reading through those updates is this is the most nerd and nerd-adjacent car ever

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Please forget about our dope fueled CEO and the cars crashing into stationary objects, here's some atari games you can get for free on your phone to play on your motorized dishwasher with a touchscreen. Please don't sue us.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lancemantis posted:

All I can think reading through those updates is this is the most nerd and nerd-adjacent car ever

tbf it does assume that some of them have procreated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Theory posted:

Please forget about our dope fueled CEO and the cars crashing into stationary objects, here's some atari games you can get for free on your phone to play on your motorized dishwasher with a touchscreen. Please don't sue us.

you're just jelly because you didn't spend 100k bucks on a car that's controlled by a webcam