Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

Dang, so if he charge to 80% he would pay like $40? That is crazy, those are gas prices.

Tesla's supercharging network has varying rates depending on what the cost of electricity is in your state / province / country (you can look up the rates on Tesla's website) but I don't think they are anything like this. I pay something like $6-$7 for a 15% -> 80% charge on my Model 3 in CO and we have a electrical cost on the higher end. It also only takes 15 - 20 min or so, not 1.5 hours.

Electrify America's gotta turn a profit on it

Superchargers are a value-add to sell cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

spandexcajun posted:

Dang, so if he charge to 80% he would pay like $40? That is crazy, those are gas prices.

Tesla's supercharging network has varying rates depending on what the cost of electricity is in your state / province / country (you can look up the rates on Tesla's website) but I don't think they are anything like this. I pay something like $6-$7 for a 15% -> 80% charge on my Model 3 in CO and we have a electrical cost on the higher end. It also only takes 15 - 20 min or so, not 1.5 hours.

I think it said 1h 30m to 80%, so wouldn't that be $1 + (90*$0.30) = $28?

Still crazy high, comparatively. I'm doing research on local fast charging infrastructure (too many are at car dealerships and hard to get to/broken) and nothing comes close to that price. I see a lot of $7-10/hr.

At least these all have a decent number of connectors. I happen to have my CCS data in front of me and I see an average of 1.36 CCS connectors per location, and quite a few are on a multi connector station so if someone's using chademo you're screwed. I was at a 10 stall supercharger yesterday and saw about 7 different vehicles come and go while there, so I know that kind of capacity would be used if available. Sporadically placed fast chargers with one or two stalls per location aren't useful due to the wait times they'll cause. I hope electrify america can get the costs down but maybe that's the price to pay for a decent number of connectors per site for non-teslas.

Thread: Is $1+$0.30/minutes so expensive that you would skip it unless absolutely necessary?

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 30, 2018

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Thread: Is $1+$0.30/minutes so expensive that you would skip it unless absolutely necessary?

Depends how much energy it can deliver.

In general I think the per minute charging is fine for L2 chargers cause that's easy to bill, and you're basically charging for the spot but for a designed fast charger like the EA stations that can do 50 or 150kw delivery, they should be doing a per kwh rather than per minute.

I don't think the density of non-tesla EVs is going to increase at a rate so fast all the stalls will be filled at these stations so there's no reason to penalize for sitting for a while yet.

to answer the overall question, I'd pay no more than $40 to fill my battery, beyond that it'd be just enough to get to a cheaper charger or my destination.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

RZA Encryption posted:

I think it said 1h 30m to 80%, so wouldn't that be $1 + (90*$0.30) = $28?

Yeah, IDK why I read that as $.50 per min. $28 is much more reasonable but still high.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ah, ha ha. A cop pulls a Model 3 over for "having a computer mounted to the dash"

"Sir, you know you are not allowed to have this here..."

Guy explains things, cop is cool but still. Technology moves to fast for the law after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tknQoFmk5N0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sounds to me like the cop correctly identified an unsafe piece of equipment that's liable to cause distractions

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

sounds to me like the cop correctly identified an unsafe piece of equipment that's liable to cause distractions

Related; Rumor mill says the browser comes to Model 3 with the next update! :v:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

Related; Rumor mill says the browser comes to Model 3 with the next update! :v:

And Missile command!

Also, every police cruiser around here has had a laptop mounted in the center console or dash for the last decade...

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Qwijib0 posted:

Electrify America's gotta turn a profit on it

Superchargers are a value-add to sell cars

Yeah, for sure they are trying to figure it out.

I checked, my nearest Chargepoint is $.19 a kw, so cheaper then a tesla super charge but that is for slow L2 charging. That station also has a DC fast charger and I am not clear if the price is the same or if the fast charging has a premium attached.

Chargepoint prices are set by who ever owns the location, say at a gas station of Walmart or whatever so it is not consistent.

However, electricity is a commodity, just like gas and it seems unlikely that they can charge such a large premium for what amounts to an fancy outlet. Time will tell I guess. Especially with no added value like a convenience store / bathroom / trash cans / window cleaner. Tesla supercharges also don't have these amenities but they are typically (but not always) close to somewhere the does. I think Electrify America is trying to have similar locations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Isn't half the point of EVs that you usually just charge at home? So you should only need to use a for-pay charger if you're traveling long distances or if you live somewhere where home charging isn't feasible.

If I found myself needing to charge while on the road, I wouldn't consider that price to be horrific. It's more than I'd like to pay, sure, but not excessively so.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Exactly. You should wake up with a "full tank" each day.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

spandexcajun posted:

And Missile command!

Also, every police cruiser around here has had a laptop mounted in the center console or dash for the last decade...

Cops and taxicabs generally have exceptions in the law to allow them to play with their computers while driving.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Exactly. You should wake up with a "full tank" each day.

Unless you live in an apartment building, condo, or rented house and you can't install your own L2 charger.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RZA Encryption posted:

Unless you live in an apartment building, condo, or rented house and you can't install your own L2 charger.

So at least 40% of the population.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Liquid Communism posted:

So at least 40% of the population.

Which happen to be the same 40% that have access to bad public transportation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

Which happen to be the same 40% that have access to bad public transportation.

Wait what? At least in the Northeast the people who have a hard time installing charging infrastructure are the people with the best access to public transportation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wait what? At least in the Northeast the people who have a hard time installing charging infrastructure are the people with the best access to public transportation.

I figured "bad public transportation" was just a way of saying "American public transportation".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In California your landlord has to let you install a charger at your own cost. I wonder if that will spread to more states.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

In California your landlord has to let you install a charger at your own cost. I wonder if that will spread to more states.

I don't know how this is supposed to work in high rise condos with underground parking garages. The landlord has to let you, but does the building management have to let you? I imagine billing would be a challenge. And then there's finding an electrician qualified to do the work in a large commercial type building who will take on such a small project. These aren't insurmountable, but depending on the building and local code for buildings like that, it could be enough of a ball ache that it just isn't worth it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know how this is supposed to work in high rise condos with underground parking garages. The landlord has to let you, but does the building management have to let you? I imagine billing would be a challenge. And then there's finding an electrician qualified to do the work in a large commercial type building who will take on such a small project. These aren't insurmountable, but depending on the building and local code for buildings like that, it could be enough of a ball ache that it just isn't worth it.

The full text makes it clear that this is a far less generous provision than it sounds

"landlords are required to approve a tenant’s written request to install an electric vehicle charging station at the tenant’s parking space if the tenant enters into a written agreement which includes requirements regarding the installation, use, maintenance and removal of the charging station, requires the tenant pay for all modifications, and requires the tenant to maintain a $1,000,000 general liability insurance policy. The charging station and modifications must comply with all applicable laws and covenants, conditions and restrictions. The tenant is required to pay the cost associated with the electric usage of the charging station. The landlord is not required to provide the tenant with an additional parking space in order to comply with this law. This law does not apply: (1) when parking is not included as part of the rental contract; (2) to properties with fewer than five parking spaces; (3) to properties subject to rent control; (4) when 10% or more of existing spaces already have electric vehicle charging stations."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Even plugging into a standard 120VAC outlet should get you something like 3 miles per hour of charging, right? It's not great, but that's at least 25 miles per day, which is enough for a lot of peoples' commutes. Especially if they live in the city; one would hope that their workplace is a short distance away.

(Of course the Bay Area, bastion of irrational behavior, is an exception, since so many tech millionaires live in San Francisco and commute down the peninsula to Mountain View or Palo Alto or whatever)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I didn't see this posted.

Version9 of Teslas software will add Drive by Navigation to it's autopilot, which seems to get you ready for exits automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSy9uZm-aE&hd=1

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

People in urban areas should not be less able to switch to EVs. I think urban fast chargers are going to be important in the near future. Not just in downtown areas, either. As part of neighborhood stores in areas with a lot multi-building complexes. No complex is going to put in as many L2 chargers as would be needed and even if 10% of spots had them you'd never find an open one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I didn't see this posted.

Version9 of Teslas software will add Drive by Navigation to it's autopilot, which seems to get you ready for exits automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSy9uZm-aE&hd=1

I'm the truck it passed on the right at 10 over the speed limit and couldn't quite figure out exactly where it was.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finger Prince posted:

Sure. I was in a low-rise apartment building, and the electrical room was in the underground garage, so it wasn’t too hard. The owner said that if I used their electrician then they would waive the insurance requirement. I had a separate meter installed so I could get PG&E’s preferential EV pricing, or else they would have just branched off the meter for my unit. I think it was about $5K all in for the 240V outlet at my parking spot in the end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Thank you for renting an apartment, please sign this contract

Thank you for renting a parking space in this apartment building, please sign this separate contract

Hm? EV charging station? Oh sorry my friend, "This law does not apply: (1) when parking is not included as part of the rental contract"

As Subjunctive points out, it all comes down to whether you've got an agreeable landlord making it easy for you.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I'm the truck it passed on the right at 10 over the speed limit and couldn't quite figure out exactly where it was.

What Tesla auto pilot sees and what it represents to the driver is pretty different. I'm not saying it is 100% or anything, but looking at the user facing GUI is not a good representation of what is actually happening. This is more of what is going on, pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1MHGUC_BzQ

V9 will now show different icons for cars / trucks / motorcycles, and maybe pedestrians and cyclists. some leaked photos show pedestrians and bikes but unsure when / if it is included in first V9 rollout.

The current GUI just shows Model 3's to represent all vehicles on the road. For me it freaks out when passing a long truck w/ trailer. The thing blinks in and out of existence on the screen as a ghost Model 3.

Good to see actual progress on something that is getting to be more then just fancy adaptive cruse control.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finger Prince posted:

https://www.chargepoint.com/businesses

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

spandexcajun posted:

What Tesla auto pilot sees and what it represents to the driver is pretty different. I'm not saying it is 100% or anything, but looking at the user facing GUI is not a good representation of what is actually happening. This is more of what is going on, pretty interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1MHGUC_BzQ

V9 will now show different icons for cars / trucks / motorcycles, and maybe pedestrians and cyclists. some leaked photos show pedestrians and bikes but unsure when / if it is included in first V9 rollout.

The current GUI just shows Model 3's to represent all vehicles on the road. For me it freaks out when passing a long truck w/ trailer. The thing blinks in and out of existence on the screen as a ghost Model 3.

Good to see actual progress on something that is getting to be more then just fancy adaptive cruse control.

The intent there has always been to transition to fully autonomous driving.

I wonder what else they'll do between now and then. With this, the Autopilot system already does just about everything a driver would do in normal highway driving (where one would generally want to use it) - what more would actually be useful while drivers are still supposed to be paying attention to the road?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I heard the auto lane changes got pulled from the initial v9 release. Not surprised, auto-lane-change is a bitch, probably. It'll probably be added back on the next release.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Even plugging into a standard 120VAC outlet should get you something like 3 miles per hour of charging, right? It's not great, but that's at least 25 miles per day, which is enough for a lot of peoples' commutes. Especially if they live in the city; one would hope that their workplace is a short distance away.

(Of course the Bay Area, bastion of irrational behavior, is an exception, since so many tech millionaires live in San Francisco and commute down the peninsula to Mountain View or Palo Alto or whatever)

Yeah, good luck getting an apartment landlord to let you run an extension cord from one of the building outlets (which your unit is likely not billed for) out to the parking lot.

Or that cable still being there in eight hours.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, good luck getting an apartment landlord to let you run an extension cord from one of the building outlets (which your unit is likely not billed for) out to the parking lot.

Or that cable still being there in eight hours.
literally planning to do this, will be sure to :justpost: about it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bawfuls posted:

If the outlet isn’t on your meter, this could turn ugly.

It’s pennies, but it’s technically theft.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s on my meter and also a 6-20 outlet

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I ran an extension cord for 6 months out to my Bolt at night. The only reason I was caught was because I slept in one day to 6 and the maintenance guy saw it. I normally get up around 4am.

With my 3, I am going to charge once a weekish when we take our weekly supplemental trip to Meijers after our weekly trip to Costco (Meijers has a super charger.).

There’s also a Meijers down the street from me that has a level 2 charger for free. Heck, all the level 2 chargers around my podunk town are free.

Also also: picking up my 3 today! It was supposed to be last Saturday, but the CU forgot to send the loan paperwork until yesterday. 55@3% for 72 months isn’t too bad!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

http://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q3-2018-vehicle-production-and-deliveries

quote:

In Q3, we produced 80,142 vehicles, 50% more than our prior all-time high in Q2, including:

53,239 Model 3 vehicles, which was in line with our guidance and almost double the volume of Q2. During Q3, we transitioned Model 3 production from entirely rear wheel drive at the beginning of the quarter to almost entirely dual motor during the last few weeks of the quarter. This added significant complexity, but we successfully executed this transition and ultimately produced more dual motor than rear wheel drive cars in Q3. In the last week of the quarter, we produced over 5,300 Model 3 vehicles, almost all of which were dual motor, meaning that we achieved a production rate of more than 10,000 drive units per week.
26,903 Model S and X vehicles, which was slightly higher than Q2 and in line with our full-year guidance.
Q3 deliveries totaled 83,500 vehicles: 55,840 Model 3, 14,470 Model S, and 13,190 Model X. To put this in perspective, in just Q3, we delivered more than 80% of the vehicles that we delivered in all of 2017, and we delivered about twice as many Model 3s as we did in all previous quarters combined.
Deliveries > production, a first for them, but also expected due to the tax incentives thing at the Q2/Q3 switch over. Still guiding 100k S/X for the year

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This car is expensive, and completely unnecessary.

I regret nothing.

Edit: Tesla is way under rating the power of the standard AWD. I am hitting 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds.

This is the first car that made me audibly say “Oh holy poo poo!” when I floored it.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 2, 2018

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

ratbert90 posted:

This is the first car that made me audibly say “Oh holy poo poo!” when I floored it.

My Volt did this but my entire car history is a 3.0 ford ranger and a 2.0 mazda cx3 so I’m not used to the concept of power.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warrior Princess posted:

My Volt did this but my entire car history is a 3.0 ford ranger and a 2.0 mazda cx3 so I’m not used to the concept of power.

Same here... The Volt surprised me... My entire car history is nothing but 4 cyl econoboxes. Going from that to electric drive with 294 lb-ft of torque is quite the difference. I also do quite enjoy sport mode.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most of the new DI turbo cars have torque curves like the Tesla does now, frontloaded torque off idle that just falls off.