Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

all car manufacturers have cars in buffer lots at various times, and this has been fodder for some breathless (but false) lefty e-mail forwards that manufacturing is a racket, general demand for cars has crashed and nobody's reporting it, etc etc. gotta do better than that

:lol:

OK. I'm sure these same companies have delivered numbers of 98% delivery on all cars produced as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cheese eats mouse posted:

I know that the answer is usually C if you dont know.

I got a 26. I did ok.

Oh I just mean like, they are purposefully designed such that you can eliminate half the answers pretty much immediately and then there's some weird math trick you can use to eliminate the others. Like you seriously shouldn't be wasting precious time on each problem doing actual math, there's almost always (9 out of 10 times anyway) some trick to the question that will let you answer in a second or two and move on.

They may have changed things up but iirc if you actually took the 15-30+ seconds to properly work out the answer to each problem you'd run out of time before you could finish. Many people who actually are decent at math will be able to blaze through the easier ones and then are okay because they've saved enough time to work out the harder ones.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I mean, you're not wrong. OEMs I've worked with consider a car sold for quarterly earnings once it goes to the dealership. The only time they really have massive overflow lots full is when there's a monumental gently caress up somewhere in the supply chain.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elon bad

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Streak posted:

Elon bad

I like the SEC ruling, it's almost like they admitted they had to let him continue his clown circus in order to not hurt bull investors.

The company might be better off with actual leadership and management than a drug addicted techie weirdo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ShortStack posted:

I mean, you're not wrong. OEMs I've worked with consider a car sold for quarterly earnings once it goes to the dealership. The only time they really have massive overflow lots full is when there's a monumental gently caress up somewhere in the supply chain.

Problem: Tesla does not have any dealerships. Vehicles are direct sales only.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK6vyFz7yrM

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

etalian posted:

I like the SEC ruling, it's almost like they admitted they had to let him continue his clown circus in order to not hurt bull investors.

The company might be better off with actual leadership and management than a drug addicted techie weirdo.

:capitalism:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ShortStack posted:

From the manufacturers POV, it is sold. The dealer has bought it from them. So the dealership has to hold all the inventory.

Doesn't work for Tesla though!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No, but like, we can "sell" the vehicle to our fulfillment center, right?

Does it count as sold if the VIN gets assigned to someone? How about when it gets unassigned and maybe they get a different one?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I mean surely we're not using a wholly fraudulent definition of the term "sales" just to avoid explaining why we have tens of thousands of cars that are unsold and probably unsalable

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Streak posted:

Elon bad

His Mclaren crash story is hilarious since he crashed it within a few minutes of owning and also forgot to insure it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

No, but like, we can "sell" the vehicle to our fulfillment center, right?

Does it count as sold if the VIN gets assigned to someone? How about when it gets unassigned and maybe they get a different one?

I think you figured out how they're inflating the numbers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

iospace posted:

I think you figured out how they're inflating the numbers

Yeah in Musk's crooked reporting 80,000 produced = 80,000 cars paid in full.

Just overlook the hookah lounge and strip club lots of randomly stored cars.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The best part is, even the stuff that very definitely appears to be outright fraud might conceivably just be due to their dogshit home grown ERP and complete logistical incompetence. You can't really know for sure, they could just be so incredibly incompetent at operating a business that they've entirely accidentally and without any forethought committed massive fraud.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

His Mclaren crash story is hilarious since he crashed it within a few minutes of owning and also forgot to insure it.

don't forget not wearing a seatbelt at the vampire thiel's urging

and who still doesn't like wearing a seatbelt

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/unsold-cars/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fact check: Tesla does not have a dealership distribution model

cars that are not sold to a particular order, are in fact unsold.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wait, how about this: a voucher for a car rental service so you can rent a car, to pick up your car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have no idea what you're getting at, but tesla builds to order through their website. they've built more rwd vehicles than they have orders for* and even they don't appear to dispute that.

it's likely that they've built significant numbers of higher trim package vehicles that have not been ordered. this is why they've sent out email invitations to people on the reservation lists to go to a fulfillment center and look at the lots of vehicles there.

in a direct sales build-to-order model, any vehicle built that is not matched to an order is dead inventory. they don't just pass the popular builds off to a dealer, because they don't have any dealers

*and not enough awd vehicles for the orders

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Oct 3, 2018

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Gazpacho posted:

all car manufacturers have cars in buffer lots at various times, and this has been fodder for some breathless (but false) lefty e-mail forwards that manufacturing is a racket, general demand for cars has crashed and nobody's reporting it, etc etc. gotta do better than that

let's not shout down gazpacho please.

he may not be aware of tesla bleeding executives like mad, such as the chief accounting officer leaving after less than a month on the job, and this thread does get kind of circle-jerky and esoteric regarding the innuendo and allusions to tesla/musk's absurdity.

for reference, gazpacho, i wasn't aware of elon musk's harassment of various critics/whistleblowers and just assumed they were silly jokes. and then i asked and i laff'd and laff'd:

https://observer.com/2018/07/elon-musk-doxxes-tesla-critic/
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/tesla-asked-cops-for-help-during-active-shooter-threat-which-was-bogus/

edit: i recognize this doesn't directly address what probably motivated you to post, which is assuming that posters here are ignorant of automotive industry supply chains and just finding every reason possible to poo poo on tesla/elon. but tesla's.... not transparent to put it lightly and the more you follow this thread the more :elongate: it all becomes

im depressed lol has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Oct 3, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Leave Elon Musk alone!
I said the exact opposite of that you fool

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

The most recent example is literally Common Core mathematics which supplements and replaces some of the rote memorization with a more fundamental understanding of the mechanics of arithmetic.

A fundamental example is going from teaching something like 398 x 5 as (300 x 5) + (90 x 5) + (8 x 5) [the old way] to (400 x 5) - (2 x 5) [one of the Common Core methods]. They equal the same thing, but the latter is a lot easier to do mentally than the former, even if it seems more complicated at face. It also scales better as 39998 x 5 in the former method has a lot more number juggling while the latter method still has the same amount to juggle.

It's a slow process getting people to understand and accept it, but it's getting there.
This is how I always did it, which led to teachers yelling at me for not showing my work when I could solve problems in my head in 2 seconds instead of working through it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Y'all slippin

I can't be the only one posting the Good poo poo

https://twitter.com/CGrantWSJ/status/1047293896219406336?s=19

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

wait, how about this: a voucher for a car rental service so you can rent a car, to pick up your car

Uber, but only for driving to the Tesla pickup point. and then charge triple for the return trip when they inevitably reject it for paint defects or whatever.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

etalian posted:

If the best, most qualified expert replaced Musk as CEO tomorrow the stock would fall by probably 40%, lmao.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Oct 3, 2018

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Y'all slippin

I can't be the only one posting the Good poo poo

https://twitter.com/CGrantWSJ/status/1047293896219406336?s=19

lol it's exactly as we thought, musk was going to go full jonestown with tesla and only the collective horrified scream of the business world stopped him

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the stock tanks, the company is doomed. also, if the stock doesn't tank because musk continues running things, the company is doomed.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-lawsuit/tesla-must-defend-lawsuit-alleging-abuse-of-foreign-workers-idUSKCN1MC30X

quote:

(Reuters) - A federal judge has ruled that Tesla must defend itself at a trial over allegations it knew foreign workers at one of its facilities were threatened with deportation if they reported an injury and worked long shifts that violated forced labor laws.

U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh, in San Jose, California, rejected on Monday Tesla’s request for an early dismissal of the lawsuit, paving the way for the plaintiffs to seek documents and witnesses to build their case.

quote:

According to the lawsuit, Gregor Lesnik of Slovenia came to the United States on a B-1 visa and worked 250 hours per month for less than $950, well below minimum wage. It also alleges that foreign workers were threatened with deportation or reduced pay if they reported injuries or became ill.

quote:

Tesla was one of several automakers named as defendants, but the only one that was not dismissed from the case because plaintiffs only alleged to have suffered threats of deportation at Tesla’s plant in Fremont, California.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

IT DOESNT MATTER IF I DEPORT YOU IF YOU DONT WORK HARD AND INJURED HUMANITY WILL DIE AMD IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT

:elongate:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

yeah, tesla's not going to go down for violating immigrant workers' rights

i mean come on now

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Vox Nihili posted:

If the best, most qualified expert replaced Musk as CEO tomorrow the stock would fall by probably 40%, lmao.

If this poo poo is as bad as all the internet rumors imply there's no way Tesla could in good conscience exist. Like one audit/report requested by someone with experience... and finding out he can't get information like 'time to do X' or 'x defect rate from y supplier' because it isn't being gathered. None of this is out of the realm of possibility.

Like, it would make sense if the chief accounting officer left after a month because the ERP system was useless trash and kept track of no actionable data.

Or the odd rumor that they're 'double booking' these cars was true and he couldn't in good, evil-executive conscience audit anything, realized it was a ten-thousand rat's nests and said thanks but no thanks.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

https://twitter.com/jkhco/status/1047252816547512321

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If the stock tanks some raider might be able to buy it up and twist the boards arm, I dont see a downside (because I don’t own any)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, but to what end? they have billions in liabilities and can't build cars. without massive new investment they're sunk, already

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

If the stock tanks some raider might be able to buy it up and twist the boards arm, I dont see a downside (because I don’t own any)

that would be like raiding an empty pantry

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I have to admit that I really respect Elon's commitment to Never Stop Posting even if it costs him a billion dollars

https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1047310976184410112?s=19

https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1047312912187101184?s=19

https://twitter.com/dril/status/318469416453025794?s=19

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=19

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
cyber
wolf

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
awhooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

if the stock tanks, the company is doomed. also, if the stock doesn't tank because musk continues running things, the company is doomed.

Wait, are you saying the company is doomed?