Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Graviija posted:

God damnit, I've been so excited about the prospect of getting a Switch for the holidays this year (my fiancee has asked me to not buy it myself yet so we can "pay off the wedding first" or whatever. I know, I know, I should leave her), and now I'm not sure if I should just wait for the revision.

Thread, should I still pull the trigger on the Switch v1 and just upgrade later, potentially?

I know this is God's Perfect Console, so I literally just need one person to tell me to get the Switch as soon as possible and I totally will.

You should get a Switch and your fiancée should leave you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Graviija posted:

God damnit, I've been so excited about the prospect of getting a Switch for the holidays this year (my fiancee has asked me to not buy it myself yet so we can "pay off the wedding first" or whatever. I know, I know, I should leave her), and now I'm not sure if I should just wait for the revision.

Thread, should I still pull the trigger on the Switch v1 and just upgrade later, potentially?

I know this is God's Perfect Console, so I literally just need one person to tell me to get the Switch as soon as possible and I totally will.

You should elope, weddings are for suckers and for people marrying suckers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They theoretically can't do anything with the form factor because of the joycons, so at the end of the day it would have to be screen/processor/battery. The screen makes sense since the one on the Switch is kinda dinky with regards to mobile electronics, but also a lot of the games are capped at 720p and worse resolutions while in handheld mode. What good is a 1440p screen if the only content you're seeing on it is upscaled 540. The most obvious upgrade would be a bump in the Tegra chip, which I would fully expect. I don't know if there's much you could do to keep games cross compatible between both Switch versions, but ideally something powerful enough to take those 30fps locked games and bump them up to 60fps would be nice. This wouldn't really matter for first party games as Nintendo is pretty good about getting them in at a smooth 60, but better hardware would probably help a few more of those developers that seem to be on the fence simply because of the power of the thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The thing is that there isn’t a better chip for them to upgrade to; the Tegra platform is entirely focused on automotive applications now. A hypothetical Switch successor will likely have to move to an entirely different SoC.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Al Borland Corpse posted:

As far as I know switches being manufactured in and in the wild now already have fixed the exploit by attaching some limiter chip which burns itself out after one flash or something and then makes access to diagnostic mode impossible. I thought I read that.

They quasi-hardware patched the currently used entry point to homebrew, but the actual flaw still exists and I'm pretty sure hackers are keeping quiet about a few other entry points.

They deffo wanna fix the underlying flaw in the next revision.

Graviija posted:

Buy a Switch now, incorporate it into the wedding (I'm not saying actually marry the device, though I'm not not saying that) then if the new revision turns out to be substantial turn the old one into the ultimate hacking and homebrew machine.

Also you're going to want a second Switch about two days after you seriously start sharing the first one.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Weedle posted:

The thing is that there isn’t a better chip for them to upgrade to; the Tegra platform is entirely focused on automotive applications now. A hypothetical Switch successor will likely have to move to an entirely different SoC.

It's quite clear that the Switch is never going to catch up enough to get 3rd Party multiplatform games, and I am completely happy with the graphics on the Switch right now.

Can we just get a 10 year lifecycle out of the thing? I don't want some Switch 2 in four years that is going to run on a different chipset and not support backward compatibility and go through the console lifecycle all over again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The only games that made me actually want to pull my vita out of the drawer and dust it off were the Katamari games, and thats coming to Switch!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Astro7x posted:

It's quite clear that the Switch is never going to catch up enough to get 3rd Party multiplatform games, and I am completely happy with the graphics on the Switch right now.

Can we just get a 10 year lifecycle out of the thing? I don't want some Switch 2 in four years that is going to run on a different chipset and not support backward compatibility and go through the console lifecycle all over again.

I want them to do a Gamecube -> Wii U thing where they just iterate and make each one backwards compatible.

The switch is the first portable where I genuinely give a poo poo about backwards compatibility in the future. Like there wont ever be a time when I dont want to play botw, but once I have the switch 2, I wont want to carry two switches around.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
They're adding a disk drive and making it WiiU and Wii and GC backwards compatible, handheld only tho :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hammer Bro. posted:

They quasi-hardware patched the currently used entry point to homebrew, but the actual flaw still exists and I'm pretty sure hackers are keeping quiet about a few other entry points.

They deffo wanna fix the underlying flaw in the next revision.

Buy a Switch now, incorporate it into the wedding (I'm not saying actually marry the device, though I'm not not saying that) then if the new revision turns out to be substantial turn the old one into the ultimate hacking and homebrew machine.

Also you're going to want a second Switch about two days after you seriously start sharing the first one.

I mean Super Mario Odyssey already has the theme for you. Though I'm not sure the Amiibos would make good cake toppers given the poses... unless it's a gay wedding, anyway, then it's perfect.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Graviija posted:

expensive weddings are a scam and all those important traditional elements were made up not that long ago by people trying to sell a product

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

expensive weddings are a scam and all those important traditional elements were made up not that long ago by people trying to sell a product

ok

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Looper posted:

It's possible for someone to know this is true and for it not to make a difference

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Put a switch on your wedding registry.

Or just spend the $400 now and get married at city hall like a true millennial.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lmao, telling someone he's a "sucker" for buying into the marriage industrial complex in the switch thread is exactly what I'd expect from the nintendo crowd. I didn't see him asking for any input on that.

Y'all are just mad you can't legally marry an amiibo yet. Or that stupid dumb poo poo dog from animal crossing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looper posted:

Lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My wedding was 100 people we got it in under $10000 which ruled, it was mostly a dope party with a DJ, good catered food, and unlimited beer and wine

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh poo poo here comes the MY WEDDING self-posts

I can't believe you've done this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m more baffled on how we got here

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
ya’ll aren’t fooling me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bowsernetta

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m more baffled on how we got here

Someone asked a yes/no question about purchasing a Nintendo switch console in the near future

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah if you destroy your copy of Xenoblade 2 it just reverts back to its core crystal. It will resonate again with whoever touches it after a recharge, if they have the ability to resonate.

It'll just be a useless blade though. Instead of getting XBC2 we'll probably get E.T. for the 2600

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

KingSlime posted:

Lmao, telling someone he's a "sucker" for buying into the marriage industrial complex in the switch thread is exactly what I'd expect from the nintendo crowd. I didn't see him asking for any input on that.

Y'all are just mad you can't legally marry an amiibo yet. Or that stupid dumb poo poo dog from animal crossing.

If you didn't use such oddly specific examples it'd be less obvious you're projecting.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Licarn posted:

If you didn't use such oddly specific examples it'd be less obvious you're projecting.

I mean...am I wrong for being intrigued by Piss Tower Link? It's not like sexual or anything

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zibidibodel posted:

It'll just be a useless blade though. Instead of getting XBC2 we'll probably get E.T. for the 2600

That's incorrect to the lore. When a crystal resonates, if it has ever resonated before, it will return to that form.

See: Praxis, Theory, others I won't spoil

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
News flash to you people who want gorilla glass: a plastic screen is actually better, and $1000 phones should have them as the base layer too. Why? Because as soon as you put a glass screen protector over it you have the best of both worlds, and if you drop and crack the screen you just put a new glass screen protector on and you're good as new. But of course, phone manufactures want you to break it and buy a new one. In a perfect world phones would have a plastic layer and then a glass screen protector factory installed, with a couple spares included in the box. The way Nintendo does the Switch now is perfect because kids won't cut themselves and any adult with a brain getting a Switch for themselves gets a glass screen protector for $2 on eBay when they buy it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

News flash to you people who want gorilla glass: a plastic screen is actually better, and $1000 phones should have them as the base layer too. Why? Because as soon as you put a glass screen protector over it you have the best of both worlds, and if you drop and crack the screen you just put a new glass screen protector on and you're good as new. But of course, phone manufactures want you to break it and buy a new one. In a perfect world phones would have a plastic layer and then a glass screen protector factory installed, with a couple spares included in the box. The way Nintendo does the Switch now is perfect because kids won't cut themselves and any adult with a brain getting a Switch for themselves gets a glass screen protector for $2 on eBay when they buy it.

I'm gonna blow ur mind

I put glass screen protectors on gorilla glass, don't @ me

Both times I shattered my protector, the gorilla glass underneath was perfectly fine so yeah this isn't a thing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I put a plastic screen protector on my plastic switch screen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Phone manufacturers don't need to do anything to "make" you buy a new phone as long as phone batteries keep hitting that 18-month wall regarding ability to hold a charge.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Phone manufacturers don't need to do anything to "make" you buy a new phone as long as phone batteries keep hitting that 18-month wall regarding ability to hold a charge.

Can't most phones get a new battery installed for a smallish fee (or do it yourself)?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 4, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Andrast posted:

Can't most phones get a new battery installed for a smallish fee?

The actual replacement gets tricky when the thing is basically glued together

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every Samsung phone I've ever had you can easily just take the back off and replace the battery yourself

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Is this an apple thing

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Every Samsung phone I've ever had you can easily just take the back off and replace the battery yourself

The last Galaxy with a removable battery was the S5, that's a 4 year old phone. Batteries can be made smaller when they aren't designed to be removable. It's just not a thing anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

Is this an apple thing

iphones can get their batteries replaced but it's difficult to do it yourself.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It will be called the Switch Extra Durable or Switched.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Video Graves posted:

It will be called the Switch Extra Durable or Switched.

Swiitch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just give me a phone the size of an og Gameboy that's 80% battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

making everything as small and thin as possible sucks poo poo, if a modern phone were made with the form factor of a phone from 10 years ago it'd have a 2 week battery life and when it got low i could swap in a spare battery instead of having to stop and plug it in