Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm a sexual genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its hilarious he thinks all this bad poo poo happening is the consequence of some elaborate conspiracy by the short sellers instead of his own incompetence and arrogance

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm a sexual genius

so kind of like rap genius except you interpret the true meaning of cum shots?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

ryde posted:

People have a lot of trouble coping with the fact that smart people can do a lot of dumb things. Probably because intelligence is informally viewed as some sort of innate property of the mind that extends to all tasks, rather than a multifaceted, developed ability.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

orcinus posted:

Stupidity isn't a political position.
Neither is greed.

And that's where you are very wrong.

Add jealousy and spite to the list too and you are downright mainstream.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

BioMe posted:

so you're saying your mainstream

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

juche avocado posted:

so you're saying your mainstream

i don't get what i did to deserve being owned like this but well done

EDIT: gently caress I meant "you're*" haha take that

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

where's cumshitter been at lately? wanna hear about his idiot cousin some more.

I think a mod told him to gently caress off with that? but not sure.

as for today I just hope that we get MORE TWEETS

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

BioMe posted:

I'm a dumbo who believes that any extreme is a bad extreme, correct.
Horseshoe theory *is* a thing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

BioMe posted:

the little "but I absolutely love the car" prayer every single time

it's getting real creepy

It's not that weird, it's just a super heightened version of sunk cost fallacy and early tech adopter syndrome.

I recognize all of this as someone who bought a minidisc player when they were new lol.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ryde posted:

People have a lot of trouble coping with the fact that smart people can do a lot of dumb things. Probably because intelligence is informally viewed as some sort of innate property of the mind that extends to all tasks, rather than a multifaceted, developed ability.

Honestly, I don't even get why anyone thinks Musk is all that smart. He has done a great job of selling himself as this visionary genius/expert engineer/etc etc but whenever I hear him open his mouth he says a bunch of poo poo that's objectively wrong or stupid AF.

Here's a crosspost from something I wrote on another forum :

-He actually believes we are most likely living in a simulation and not actual reality. A direct quote from Musk on the matter:

quote:

The strongest argument for us probably being in a simulation is the following: 40 years ago we had Pong — two rectangles and a dot. That was what games were. Now, 40 years later, we have photorealistic, 3D simulations with millions of people playing simultaneously and it's getting better every year. And soon we'll have virtual reality, augmented reality... If you assume any rate of improvement at all, then games will become indistinguishable from reality. Even if that rate of advancement drops by 1,000 from what it is right now. Then you just imagine 10,000 years in the future, which is nothing in the evolutionary scale. So it's a given that we're clearly on a trajectory to have games that are indistinguishable from reality, and those games could be played on any set-top box or a PC and there would probably be billions of such computers and settop boxes, it would seem to follow that the odds that we're in base reality is one in billions. Tell me what's wrong with that argument?

- He believes that Radar is more affective than Lidar for vehicle autopilot:

quote:

"We do not anticipate using lidar. Just to make it clear, lidar essentially is active photon generator in the visible spectrum—radar is active photon generation in essentially the radio spectrum. But lidar doesn't penetrate intrusions so it does not penetrate rain, fog, dust, and snow, whereas a radar does. Radar also bounces and lidar doesn't bounce very well. You can't do the 'look in front of the car in front of you thing.' So I think the obvious thing is to use radar and not use lidar."

The idea that Lidar 'doesn't bounce very well" is actual nonsense

- He thinks making dry wall is easier than making solar panels

quote:

Making standard efficiency solar panels is about as hard as making dry wall. It's really easy. In fact, I'd say dry wall's probably harder.

- He removed safety paint demarcating pedestrian walkways in the Tesla factory because he doesn't like the color yellow

- He repeatedly sets absurd deadlines that he never meets

Also remember, he didn't even found Tesla - he helped it raise capital in series A fundraising, and then ousted the two real founders. SpaceX is only operational by the grace of its highly competent COO, and Neuralink/the Boring Co. haven't actually done anything at all.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

orcinus posted:

I'm a dumbo who believes that any extreme is a bad extreme, correct.
Horseshoe theory *is* a thing.

a dumb thing for dumdums yeah

this is the new hotness

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its hilarious he thinks all this bad poo poo happening is the consequence of some elaborate conspiracy by the short sellers instead of his own incompetence and arrogance

Thats' basically the only reason I am so glued to this story. It perfectly embodies the times we live in. It's the era of big ideas, and con men are basically coming out of the woodwork to take advantage. Theranos is another great example.

The scary thing is he's the most blatant and obvious example, and he still receives infinite adulation from the mainstream media that is only now starting to turn. Imagine how many other hacks there are out there building a house of cards that we wont discover until it's too late.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

I'll never get tired of these people crying to Elon on twitter like his company is just some unrelated nefarious operation screwing people behind his back and sullying his good name. And if only he could see your tweet he would be horrified and swoop in and correct the problem that he must surely not be aware of lmao.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BonaireVolt/status/1046739095668609024

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://twitter.com/BonaireVolt/status/1046739095668609024

lmfaooooooooooo

If only Elon would have just asked us to pay for cars without getting a car, we probably all would have been happy to artificially inflate his stock price with interest free 100k loans.

Edit: lol, high five

Intel&Sebastian has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Oct 5, 2018

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
:smuggo:

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
FYI as of right now the stock is at $262/share ; $2 lower than the day he refused the SEC settlement

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Thats' basically the only reason I am so glued to this story. It perfectly embodies the times we live in. It's the era of big ideas, and con men are basically coming out of the woodwork to take advantage. Theranos is another great example.

The scary thing is he's the most blatant and obvious example, and he still receives infinite adulation from the mainstream media that is only now starting to turn. Imagine how many other hacks there are out there building a house of cards that we wont discover until it's too late.

I think the biggest thing is he positioned himself as the next Steve Jobs. He did a drat good job of doing so at the start, and there's probably a significant overlap of the apple fanboys and musk fanboys here.

The problem is, unlike Jobs, he has delivered not much in the way of a product the average consumer can use. Paypal sure, but no one remembers him for that. The Model S was pretty much proof that an EV can be good and effective in both speed and range to the world at large. Everything else about Tesla is utter poo poo, but you see the same thing with the Musk fans as the Apple fans:

A utter unwillingness to admit what they sunk their time/money into is bad or overrated. The vocal apple contingent has largely disappeared when Jobs kicked the bucket, and while iPhones are still hot sellers, they don't carry the same cultural weight as they used to. You see the networks advertising they have it and the new Galaxies at the same amount.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

iospace posted:

Paypal sure, but no one remembers him for that.

Also, remember, the board ousted Musk from PayPal because he kept insisting on moving their server infrastructure from Unix to Windows NT lol

Honestly, I struggle to find anything in his biography that suggests he is anything more than an incredible conman who was born into a lot of money. Even in the early history of spaceX, his function basically consisted of hiring experts and ignoring them entirely. In his first trip to russia to buy used rockets, one of the russian scientists they met with literally spat on him and his fixer because he thought they were full of poo poo. Some things never change.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

All true. I wouldn't take the position that Musk definitely is smart. I just don't think a snapshot of his dumbest moments is enough to make me certain (outside of forums shitposting). I think my point was generally that, even presuming he is very intelligent, he's till going to frequently be wrong and do dumb things.

There's sort of a flip-side of anti-intellectualism where people assume that, because a person is smart, they must not be doing dumb things and its actually 4-dimensional chess. Or that if they do dumb things it must mean they weren't really smart at all. Or that being really successful in one thing must mean that they are actually really smart and thus will be successful at another thing. It inherently involves a model of intelligence that is at the level of Dungeons and Dragons, and people have a lot of trouble dealing with the fact that intelligence, and how it relates to success, is really complex and poorly understood.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Its hilarious that he thinks that. Less so his supporters. Because for me it underscores the public's desire to have a "bold hero vs evil masses" narrative that blinds them to actual reality and makes them easily manipulatable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think it's a bit much to talk about the downfall of the iPhone just because it didn't kill every other major cell phone off. It's expensive as poo poo and everyone has one, there's no more vocal weirdos because like....there's no need to evangelize them anymore they're loving everywhere and it's just embedded in society now.

I never had one before I got a 7+ last year and I was hella underwhelmed but I also kind of get that it's big tech for dumb people who don't care about big tech. I wish I had an android so I could play emulators with a bt controller and will be switching back asap.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

Casey Neistat is a turd who similarly doesn't actually do anything. A fitting scenario.

yeah, he’s a ‘filmmaker/director/creative’ who’s never actually directed anything of note, he just makes gear review videos on YouTube.

So really the ideal Tesla customer.

red19fire has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Oct 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He plays perfectly into the CHUDs hands because he's:

1. Rich
2. Is going after Wall Street
3. White
4. Made money off of slave labor
5. Hates unions

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

ryde posted:

All true. I wouldn't take the position that Musk definitely is smart. I just don't think a snapshot of his dumbest moments is enough to make me certain (outside of forums shitposting). I think my point was generally that, even presuming he is very intelligent, he's till going to frequently be wrong and do dumb things.

There's sort of a flip-side of anti-intellectualism where people assume that, because a person is smart, they must not be doing dumb things and its actually 4-dimensional chess. Or that if they do dumb things it must mean they weren't really smart at all. Or that being really successful in one thing must mean that they are actually really smart and thus will be successful at another thing. It inherently involves a model of intelligence that is at the level of Dungeons and Dragons, and people have a lot of trouble dealing with the fact that intelligence, and how it relates to success, is really complex and poorly understood.

Yeah that's a very fair point. Particularly when you consider that intelligence is often attributed immediately to particular positions in society/jobs/titles/financial success, and so forth.

In my own little corner of the world, I find this phenomenon to be readily apparent in medicine. A lot of physicians in academic medicine will try to start a career in scientific research towards the end of their clinical training, where it is often a requirement for graduation from fellowship.

There are lots of gifted clinicians who don't know their rear end from their elbow when it comes to forming an intelligent hypothesis, designing experiments, appropriately leveraging model systems, and so forth. However, because they have MD after their name, people assume they'll be excellent scientists, and this is unfortunately reflected in the funding rates for junior faculty applying for NIH funded early career awards .

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think it's a bit much to talk about the downfall of the iPhone just because it didn't kill every other major cell phone off. It's expensive as poo poo and everyone has one, there's no more vocal weirdos because like....there's no need to evangelize them anymore they're loving everywhere and it's just embedded in society now.

I never had one before I got a 7+ last year and I was hella underwhelmed but I also kind of get that it's big tech for dumb people who don't care about big tech. I wish I had an android so I could play emulators with a bt controller and will be switching back asap.

I never said it had a downfall, per se, it's no longer the cultural juggernaut it once was. I suppose that technically is a downfall, but the Mac Evangelicals are largely gone at this point.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

red19fire posted:

yeah, he’s a ‘filmmaker/director/creative’ who’s never actually directed anything, he just makes gear review videos on YouTube.

Thing is? I enjoy a good gear review. It's the celebrity he tries to provoke by riding an electric skateboard and bloviating about how important it is to be a "creative" and a "content creator" and blah blah blah.

I guess I'm of the grumpy old-man opinion that if you are actually so busy doing the things you say you are, how the gently caress do you have time to put together videos about how productive you are when nobody is looking?

Elon has the same poo poo show presentation: tweeting and interviewing all day about how busy he is not-tweeting and not-interviewing.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'll never get tired of these people crying to Elon on twitter like his company is just some unrelated nefarious operation screwing people behind his back and sullying his good name. And if only he could see your tweet he would be horrified and swoop in and correct the problem that he must surely not be aware of lmao.

“if only the czar knew!”

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

iospace posted:

I never said it had a downfall, per se, it's no longer the cultural juggernaut it once was. I suppose that technically is a downfall, but the Mac Evangelicals are largely gone at this point.

IMO downfall is quite close, and can be triggered by a number of events that are very plausibly on the horizon:

1. Judge voids settlement deal at SEC request, and they either push for trial or impose even more draconian settlement terms (i.e. Tesla board ban, etc)
2. Tesla fails to demonstrate GAAP profitability in Q3 earnings
3. DoJ/SEC investigations conclude and bring Tesla/Musk to court on other charges (false earnings reports, etc)
4. Musk gets his margin called when stock dips below $240, forcing him to sell his shares and triggering massive $tsla selloff
5. Tesla files for bankruptcy/is unable to pay bondholders in March on $920MM note.
6. Musk is ousted from the company entirely, either by board, SEC, or voluntary resignation
7. Demand cliff materializes and production/deliveries slow dramatically into Q4, yielding massive losses on the balance sheet
8. Institutional investors GTFO from tesla for any number of very sensible reasons (including yesterday's tweetstorm), triggering massive selloff

Many others I'm probably not thinking of

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
the big one that’s mostly out of pork skin’s control is a credit downgrade triggering suppliers pulling credit. that would send the company scrambling for funding FAST or else they’d start defaulting on things

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
So happy to finally get my new Tesla after having my VIN given to someone else twice, 15 minutes before I was to pick it up.

Drove it off the lot and twenty-five yards down the street, all four wheels spontaneously spun off the car in opposite directions, my doors began opening and shutting over and over on their own (I couldn't stop them), and when I popped the hood to try and disconnect the power, I saw that someone had literally taken a poo poo in it.

BUT I LOVE MY CAR--THANK YOU ELON!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He could always liquidate his equity in SpaceX and try to keep TSLA afloat that way, though.

Elon can stay irrational for a while.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I sleep in my Tesla, do you?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

orcinus posted:

Traveling full time is loving tiring.
I do only like 3-4 long hauls a year and i find that loving tiring at times.

I like visiting places, but could i please get a teleporter or something?

god, same.

I adore visiting far flung places but the logistics and actual act of traveling stresses me out like nothing else. My wife and I are in the planning stages of a trip to the British Isles and I've had to shelve the idea of going unguided because I just couldn't handle thinking up our own itinerary without focusing. on how stressed out I'd be trying to keep to it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Siljmonster posted:

I sleep in my Tesla, do you?

ooh, now there's a blast from the past

https://www.businessinsider.com/sleep-in-a-tesla-for-85-on-airbnb-2015-1

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Lol part time Uber driver owns $115k car

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Agronox posted:

the big one that’s mostly out of pork skin’s control is a credit downgrade triggering suppliers pulling credit. that would send the company scrambling for funding FAST or else they’d start defaulting on things

Yeah that's a great point. I saw on reddit recently that Moody's put out a pretty negative assessment of Tesla's future performance but stopped short of taking a rating action. That might change rather soon, depending on Q3 and a number of other factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

1) is this legal?
2) if yes, lol why on earth is that legal?
3) would love a total count on how many people this has happened to so far