Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i like watching poo poo like this to get away from it all. very james may, but it more 80s hiphop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2n8Gru7twE

also gently caress i want that hifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

This is the escapism that's been working for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2huQB-DmE

A soothing world of slow fiddlin', echoing with the stentorian tones of Sam Watterston and Morgan Freeman and where the cost of stupid jingoism is 25% of the white male population

I went full broke brain yesterday and decided that that Russian professor is right and the US is going to balkanize sometime in the next 50 years.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Way too late to make a difference now, but at least this and Garland are finally getting Dems to pull their heads out of the ground and realize that SCOTUS is something with real stakes to fight for and not some sort of perpetual perfectly balanced :decorum: machine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Way too late to make a difference now, but at least this and Garland are finally getting Dems to pull their heads out of the ground and realize that SCOTUS is something with real stakes to fight for and not some sort of perpetual perfectly balanced :decorum: machine.

The same people will be defending Manchin so no I don't think they'll learn

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They won’t even learn when republicans win all elections in 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

I went full broke brain yesterday and decided that that Russian professor is right and the US is going to balkanize sometime in the next 50 years.

imo yugoslavia is an optimistic scenario, at least it broke along some kind of geographic lines. If the US ever again descends into naked political violence it'll be neighbor vs neighbor everywhere at once Rwanda style.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The court is supposed to be the apolitical arbiter, but unfortunately that's impossible when the party with a bare majority in a single chamber can appoint whomever they want for life. We really need a constitutional amendment that imposes term limits and removes the power of the Senate to confirm with 50+1. Until then, be prepared for more turds like Kavanaugh, because the stakes are too high for each side NOT to pick a hyper partisan.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 5, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think we need to reconsider the whole "America" experiment in general

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

¡Hola! ¿Cómo Está?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GIS for "balkanized america" brings up some attractive results

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You should be more worried that after winning the Dem nomination Gillum went sprinting back rightward and started talking about 'access to affordable healthcare' and taking big Dem donor money

Gillum supports M4A but there's not a drat thing he can do as governor except expand medicaid which will make healthcare more affordable for all floridians. He didn't start running to the right. He still supports M4A, recreational marijuana, massive criminal justice overhauls, etc.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What was the point of that show in the Senate? Kavanaugh was going to be confirmed, why did they need to drag it out? And Collins will be out in 2020.
Preemptive :toxx:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EBB posted:

¡Hola! ¿Cómo Está?

kind of ok with this except new york isnt new england

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EBB posted:

¡Hola! ¿Cómo Está?

I'm Missouri, Iowa, and Arkansas somehow joining the USSA (which I'm assuming is the cool and good "United Soviet States of America")

or how louisiana has no affiliation whatsoever and seems to be a DMZ between Texas and the American Empire

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
USSA should be UUAA, United Unemployed Autoworkers of America

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EBB posted:

¡Hola! ¿Cómo Está?

I will die a thousand deaths before Colorado becomes a part of Texas.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Are we posting balkanize maps because oh boy, I got a few from LF and cspam.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:justpost:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hells yeah its way more interesting than the news right now

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

The Great Lakes states should merge with/conquer Ontario and use the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers to keep red staters out in the coming climate change droughts/wars.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh yes fear the combined might of MA/RI/CT

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The same people will be defending Manchin so no I don't think they'll learn

"NO PURITY TESTS" *except if its universal healthcare, we won't endorse you if you talk about that in a primary.

Also loving that these balkanization maps all have Louisiana doing it's own thing :hellyeah:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eastern Shore of MD would elect to become part of NCVA, leaving DC, Baltimore, and the surrounding counties east of Washington County as a city state.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Who rules New Orleans rules the midwest, as it was and shall ever be

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Man, Crimson Skies was awesome. Wish they'd revive that IP.

Also, here's Tesla's new soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA9FiL7mz_0

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Oh for gently caress's sake.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Collins on tv explaining why she's a yes (unless I missed something, I only caught part of it )

Aaaaaand there it is, folks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

All Republican politicians are worthless cowards.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Casimir Radon posted:

All Republicans politicians are worthless cowards.

Fixed.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The problem with the balkanization idea is that most of the differences between people that would lead to such a thing are based on ideology. It's not "the north vs. the south" or "this semi-autonomus region vs. the rest" it's cities vs. everywhere else. It would be such a clusterfuck.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vasudus posted:

The problem with the balkanization idea is that most of the differences between people that would lead to such a thing are based on ideology. It's not "the north vs. the south" or "this semi-autonomus region vs. the rest" it's cities vs. everywhere else. It would be such a clusterfuck.

Yeah the literal drive down my street in suburban Rhode Island takes me past a "Hillary for Prison" and a "Trump/Pence" sign both still up as of this morning and then 3 houses that have some kind of sign a local group put out stating a bunch of super liberal marginalized group friendly statement kind of deal.

Thinking about balkanization and I'm literally thinking ok my own street alone has a couple of Chud houses mixed in with the mostly liberal neighborhood.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't give a poo poo what happens to the rest of the states, just give me this

but in reality we're gonna end up like this

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I read Gilead and immediately thought of the Gunslinger

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

jesus why haven't I moved away from this blighted hellhole

that map covers an hour's drive in every direction

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

jesus why haven't I moved away from this blighted hellhole

that map covers an hour's drive in every direction

I assume it's a low CoL.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I hosed off for a bit but lets get this rolling.

So the balkanization of the US has been a thing since well, I dunno, civil war? American revolution?

I mean you could argue we were one people during the revolution, we weren't, and then left to make our own independent nation states with their own culture and currency and banks. Lol at each state having their own currency, that was a fun time.

Some of these are either culture maps or maps that are closer to "where do people say soda or pop or coke" but they kinda help for the larger question of what cultures are where. The real answer is the people you hate probably live a lot closer to you than you want to admit or these maps want to admit either. Like when liberal texans move to california in hopes of it being a better place and then finding out it has its own chuds. Like they are grown on farms or something.

So have some pictures. Not all of these are balkanization maps.

My states must all be equal in the most mathematical way.

Personal shout out to two of my favorites

This person kinda gets it that it is cities that will control some direct areas and the rest are up to influence of those cities and if it is worth their time and effort. The megaregions are a term for some other poo poo but it pretty much fits with what we are looking at in the others.

Because we always forget mexico.

I couldn't find some of the russian ones that are pretty amazing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Slim Pickens posted:

but in reality we're gonna end up like this

As much as I hate Missouri, I'm more inclined to believe that nuclear waste site will be over east Colorado. And a biohazard symbol over Pueblo. Partially because of the chemical weapons depot, but also because... Pueblo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All accurate Balkanizations must have some form of "Confederacy of Dixie" because you know those idiots would jump at the opportunity to go full chud.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Civil War 2 would just be violence in every office, neighborhood, town, etc. As many people have said, it's not geographic. The guy who has opposing ideological beliefs lives next door, and there are 30 more in a two block radius.

M_Gargantua posted:

All accurate Balkanizations must have some form of "Confederacy of Dixie" because you know those idiots would jump at the opportunity to go full chud.

Have you been to any of the major cities in the south recently? Atlanta for instance is pretty dramatically anti chud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Those are mostly written or drawn by northerners as how they see the south. Most people in the south would probably not want to be associated with areas locally named like "blacklanta"

• Locked thread