Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

X_Toad posted:

What was Phage's Sci-Fi point of reference? I don't remember.
A mash-up of The [colonelgentleman]AT-AT IMPERIAL WALKER![/colonelgentleman] and Pygar the angel-thing from Barbarella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
At the NYCC Panel (the guy who mentioned Dr Strangelove). Jackson and Doc are hysterical and Doc is a paraplegic now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
God *drat* what an episode. Brock finally got to be Brock! It was a complete no-show on Kate's Warriana, though. :smith:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm a bit disappointed that they never did anything with Jonas or Vendata after the second episode. Seems like that should have been brought up or even mentioned in the last episode.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I guess the bear is just... a bear?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hank and Dean aren't Rusty's children, they are his (far younger) brothers. Rusty never did no sex with no actress.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

above all else, I’m glad Malcom and Gary said they were best friends :3:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Billzasilver posted:

above all else, I’m glad Malcom and Gary said they were best friends :3:

Does the monarch know Gary's name yet?

"Who the gently caress is Gary" was like what, seven years ago? So probably but...

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Tatsuta Age posted:

Does the monarch know Gary's name yet?

"Who the gently caress is Gary" was like what, seven years ago? So probably but...

hell, does Gary know the monarch’s name?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
best season yet. the Venture Bros. will return...

X_Toad posted:

What would he look like? Not to be mean to Publick, but Hammer got all the striking physical features : near unhealthy thinness (he kind of reminds me of Dean in that regard), fully depilated by nature and he's even got the weird streak of blond hair among the black.

speaking of Doc's striking physical features, if you want to see Doc with no clothes on but a strategically placed guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPy_NGB635E

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

At the NYCC Panel (the guy who mentioned Dr Strangelove). Jackson and Doc are hysterical and Doc is a paraplegic now.

There was a goddamned Fudgie the Whale that brought in a cake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
OH MY GOD THAT RULED. GREAT EPISODE.

The whole thing with Brock was pure fanservice in the best way, just... so satisfying watching him work and loving it and just being totally great at it. 21 becoming a villain would be AWESOME although I guess they're not doing that? I hope they do at some point, it just makes sense. I love the setup early on with Phage having a teleporter accident and then seeing him in Hank's coma-dream later. Just great comedic setup and unexpected punchline right when you forget about it. And then Action Man going "I kinda wanna see this movie", so many laughs this episode. Hatred's tęte-ŕ-tęte with the receptionist at the hospital. Roadhouse reference lmao, Dragoon/Mantle continues to have the best lines. POOP! Hank/Dean is going places and I love all of this.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH OH YOU

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 6, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tarlibone posted:

There was a whole discussion about that several weeks ago. Some folks assumed that Monarch was, at some point, level 9 or 10. Others disagreed.

I thought we generally agreed that the Monarch probably would have counted as a level 9 or 10 when he had an army of henchmen and a floating cocoon, but since his men were so untrained and useless, and since he outfitted them with tranquilizer guns and cheap costumes, he never got past a 6.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Billzasilver posted:

what. Shiela specifically said he was a level 6 with a flying cocoon and a hundred henchmen.

It wasn't "level six", it was "a number six". Some sort of guild villain plan that comes with henchmen. I'm guessing Monarch was an 8 or a 9 in the old days, if there is some sort of ceremony for becoming level 10.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just by happenstance I let the viewer keep going, and saw episode Rapacity in Blue, and what does Henchmen 21 say after viewing the tape where Blue Morpho and Dr Venture sleep with the 2 women, that Venture uses to blackmail Morpho? Monarch says "Is that my mommy?" and 21 says "No, I am like 80% positive that is Jill St. John and Stella Stephens.

Aw gently caress, its St. Simone not St. John. Between St. Simone, St. John and St. Cloud, Doc Hammer needs to cool it on the St. names for a minute! It would have fit pretty well, being that was Jonas Venture and the Morpho and they could have been actresses. Or... adult actresses even?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It wasn't "level six", it was "a number six". Some sort of guild villain plan that comes with henchmen. I'm guessing Monarch was an 8 or a 9 in the old days, if there is some sort of ceremony for becoming level 10.

"On the books, you're a six, but if I had to reassess... four?" I don't understand how this is even an argument, because it's flat out said in season 6.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zaphod42 posted:

Just by happenstance I let the viewer keep going, and saw episode Rapacity in Blue, and what does Henchmen 21 say after viewing the tape where Blue Morpho and Dr Venture sleep with the 2 women, that Venture uses to blackmail Morpho? Monarch says "Is that my mommy?" and 21 says "No, I am like 80% positive that is Jill St. John and Stella Stephens.

Aw gently caress, its St. Simone not St. John. Between St. Simone, St. John and St. Cloud, Doc Hammer needs to cool it on the St. names for a minute! It would have fit pretty well, being that was Jonas Venture and the Morpho and they could have been actresses. Or... adult actresses even?

Both of the women in the BM sextape are real actresses/women from the period. One of them was even in a Bond film.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Novasol posted:

"On the books, you're a six, but if I had to reassess... four?" I don't understand how this is even an argument, because it's flat out said in season 6.

Yeah, but the question isn't what he was on the books in Season 6, it's what he was around the time of, say, "Showdown at Cremation Creek." He might have been higher then. There was confusion there because in "Victor. Echo. November.", he "orders" a "Number 6, With Henchmen" from Phantom Limb. Amazingly, this was a discussion that I didn't have much to do with (if memory serves), but I do remember it. I didn't mean to restart it; I'm just saying that it is now perfectly laid to rest that he was never a 10, because of the ritual.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Both of the women in the BM sextape are real actresses/women from the period. One of them was even in a Bond film.

Can we please stop abbreviating his name that way?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I want the shirt we all know it's gonna be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Seeing The Monarch go from barely enough change to ride the train to a bona-fide Level 10 villian has been fantastic to watch. Let alone the council members that used to look down on him.... are pleased / proud he actually passed the final test. And not just the Monarch, 21 has gone from fat dweeb to a legitimate badass Level 10 Number 2. He reached the pinnicle of being a henchman. Plus... 21 seems to be carrying less around the gut these days.

Fantastic finale, the blood relatives conformation reveal was supoerb, Brock being Brock again, Dean and Hank....... also my fear that Venture would lose his billions was unfoundered as I really like the NY setting.

The fallout of the reveal is gonna be so sweet to see in Season 8 whenever that is.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It’d be cool if, given his major #2 status, Gary got to be the Viceroy

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So, presumably they went into this season knowing they'd get another– it definitely felt like setting up a bunch of pieces for an eventual finale. Hank trying to become a man (villain?), the Monarch and Rusty coming to terms with being family, Dean... becoming?, movie night?

It kinda feels like this was the season where they narrowed down the important leftover questions. Really, really excited to see what season 8 is like... and almost ok if it's their last.*

*(I say this only cause you know it would live on in comics / books / future writings of the creators.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cannot wait for next season

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Yea if you haven't seen Diamonds Are Forever, well, it's worth it. It's a terrible movie objectively speaking, but has a ton of camp value. The two main henchmen are basically Venture Bros characters.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Can we please stop abbreviating his name that way?
Fine, fine. The Having a Push sex tape.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Seeing The Monarch go from barely enough change to ride the train to a bona-fide Level 10 villian has been fantastic to watch. Let alone the council members that used to look down on him.... are pleased / proud he actually passed the final test. And not just the Monarch, 21 has gone from fat dweeb to a legitimate badass Level 10 Number 2. He reached the pinnicle of being a henchman. Plus... 21 seems to be carrying less around the gut these days.

Fantastic finale, the blood relatives conformation reveal was supoerb, Brock being Brock again, Dean and Hank....... also my fear that Venture would lose his billions was unfoundered as I really like the NY setting.

The fallout of the reveal is gonna be so sweet to see in Season 8 whenever that is.

It was neat that even Phantom Limb was happy about this

Sockser posted:

It’d be cool if, given his major #2 status, Gary got to be the Viceroy

Agreed

The World Inferno posted:

So, presumably they went into this season knowing they'd get another– it definitely felt like setting up a bunch of pieces for an eventual finale. Hank trying to become a man (villain?), the Monarch and Rusty coming to terms with being family, Dean... becoming?, movie night?

It kinda feels like this was the season where they narrowed down the important leftover questions. Really, really excited to see what season 8 is like... and almost ok if it's their last.*

*(I say this only cause you know it would live on in comics / books / future writings of the creators.)

I could see them try for 10 seasons

Also doing a rewatch of the whole series now that I've seen the finale of Season 7, and on rewatching Careers In Science, with the opening film mentioning that Gargantua 1 had 2000 crew members, if we assume that almost all of them were present for Movie Night(which probably matches up with the flashbacks we see in Season 7), it's no wonder that OSI went genocide mode against SPHINX, that's the largest casualty rate of anything we've seen in the show, especially if we don't count Henchmen(and even counting Henchmen probably tops off at under a 1000), heck unless they covered it up it basically would have been the 9/11 equivalent of the 80s in the VB universe culturally

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Peeny Cheez posted:

Fine, fine. The Having a Push sex tape.

That's "Pushing a Mess" sex tape. But still stop!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This show is just the best, I love it so much.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I spent most of the episode worried about Brock.

They went out of their way to explain that teleporting with any bio-mechanical parts was bad, showed Phage in Comatown to prove that point, made sure to highlight Brock's metal chestplate during his fight, then Brock threatened to come through the teleporter himself.

I was sure the end was going to involve a dead or at least comatown'd Brock. Glad to be wrong.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
hey related to nothing has this been brought up before;

Copycat on Gargantua 2 as 'world class entertainment'. Is this his first appearance?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Uncle Vatred is going to be SO UPSET when he finds out he missed out on so much fully justifiable homicide.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Vatred's still a really big guy and could probably gently caress up at least a half a dozen guild guys alone although he might need a piece. I kinda wish they had a tag team thing going but oh well. Still a great season and a good ep

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
Saphrax, heavy with goat and burdened with terrible chicken...
Altheaeus, Father of the Made-You-Look!
You're touching POOP! Pretty gruesome... I wouldn't do it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Vatred's still a really big guy and could probably gently caress up at least a half a dozen guild guys alone although he might need a piece. I kinda wish they had a tag team thing going but oh well. Still a great season and a good ep

I'm surprised that no one's touched on the most shocking thing that happened in this episode. Brock Samson, a man who once said "guns are fruity," admonished Vatred for not keeping a weapon under his desk. Brock was contemplating using a gun!

And yeah, I loved the 'Beast' scene and its callback/similarity to the Ritual of the Tree Men from Flash Gordon. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 6, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Robot Hobo posted:

I spent most of the episode worried about Brock.

They went out of their way to explain that teleporting with any bio-mechanical parts was bad, showed Phage in Comatown to prove that point, made sure to highlight Brock's metal chestplate during his fight, then Brock threatened to come through the teleporter himself.

I was sure the end was going to involve a dead or at least comatown'd Brock. Glad to be wrong.

I got the impression that the Council was sort-of guessing what caused Phage's accident. I mean, something definitely happened, and Phage's comments confirms that it was almost certainly related to the teleporter, but they were just guessing what caused the accident.

Also, Brock just has a metal plate. We know that metal can go through the teleporter; a fully costumed Monarch went through just fine, and bullets also seem unaffected. The blackout agents also have a lot of metal on them. I don't think Brock going through the teleporter would have been an issue. It's not like Terminator rules are in play.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I hope James Adomian comes back next season. He whips rear end

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm surprised that no one's touched on the most shocking thing that happened in this episode. Brock Samson, a man who once said "guns are fruity," admonished Vatred for not keeping a weapon under his desk. Brock was contemplating using a gun!
Yeah, THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
pretty sure Brock started being more open to using guns after he joined SPHINX 2: Electric Boogaloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The dialogue of this episode was just absoluty stellar too!

Brock's monologue when he was oh so joyously announcing he was going to slaughter every Blackout agent was a joy

"I got to take a piss" scene

And best of all, the Monarch telling the Council to go gently caress themselves and delcaring 21 his best friend. Then 21 telling the Guild to go gently caress themselves and declaring Monarch his best friend.... right up to Ward and Watch interrupting. Just loving A Class diagoue the whole way to really make this episode work