Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Who had the original booby Pikachu gif AV? he shall win the Civil War.

E: improved tesla battery taxxe

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

some idiot in gbs

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Combat Theory posted:

An irrelevant sideshow. There is no war but Amber vs Green War.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow guys, erlang mosk is donating $480k of UV water filtration systems to schools in flint michigan

you know, flint.. with the massive issues with lead contamination.

quote:

The UV water purification method within the filtration systems will disinfect lead and bacteria coming from water pipes, allowing students in Flint to safely drink from school water fountains once more.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
sweet i love eating lead but I always worry it might have bacteria on it

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Learn the secret of the man that removes lead from water with an energy saver light.

Water supplies hate him.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rjmccall posted:

huh, cracks showing in the eternal stymie/fishmech/shaggar mutual non-aggression pact

looks like I’ve really done it this time!

e: stymie and spankmeister were right to call me out though. that post was indeed ghoulish and in very bad taste.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 7, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Peeny Cheez posted:

An irrelevant sideshow. There is no war but Amber vs Green War.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

mrmcd posted:

SOMEWHERE ATOP THE GLITTERING SPIRE OF THE NYT BUILDING

*phone rings*

"Hello?"

"Sarah. We've been trying to reach you. We have a hot scoop on a huge tech story."

"I'm outta that game now. I've told you a hundred times. I've got my cushy editorial board retirement."

"This is different. The source is.. unorthodox. It needs someone familiar with the lay of the land. Someone who can talk to the locals."

"There's plenty of tech reporters in the valley."

"Not the valley, Sarah. YOSPOS."

*line goes silent*

"Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time."

yeah, for this premise to work we'd need the thread to be Relevant again

and our last insider-free-from-NDA poaster went totally silent so idk

There's probably some chance another insider starts poasting. There was the guy who claimed to have a friend who was going out to audit a factory and I don't think he has poasted any more here

Looks like it's time to sigh and unsheathe elon-musk-kill-the-kids.sqlite

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

u and me vs. all these greenpos chucklefucks.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

You cannot remove lead by UV, it must be filtered out with fine filter like osmosis. I assume that is being done.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Or could it be that Elon doesn't know how to apply the right technology to the right problems?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

Truly only ghouls think people burning to death don't want to burn to death. You've cracked the case. I'll be sure to not inform the families that you claim are pro being burned to death.

no, i meant the part where you’re glad they died to advance a petty grievance, that’s the part they’d object to, and i further don’t think they’d be too keen on your usual deliberate obtuseness as an excuse either

mystes
May 31, 2006

That was copy pasted from the comments.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I think the right thing to say might be,

"I hope that if the misdesign of the door releases contributed to the death of those kids that it draws attention to the terrible engineering of Tesla vehicles, especially the disregard for safety displayed by making exiting in an emergency significantly harder than exiting under normal circumstances."

hmm, this is less fun than participating in a tone-policing slapfight, maybe I should delete the whole post

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prisoner of waffles posted:

"I hope that if the misdesign of the door releases contributed to the death of those kids that it draws attention to the terrible engineering of Tesla vehicles, especially the disregard for safety displayed by making exiting in an emergency significantly harder than exiting under normal circumstances."

hmm, this is less fun than participating in a tone-policing slapfight, maybe I should delete the whole post

other people did post with the conditional "if it did contribute" which is fine, the point was beeps original post was "i hope it did", which is the problem

it's one thing to say you'd like to see redress for a tragic accident after the facts are known, it's another to actively hope for the cause beforehand

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

prisoner of waffles posted:

that’s a much better way to convey what i was thinking. :respek:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
e: nm

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anyone continuing with boring door slap fight should walk out the nearest one and not return

thanks

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

People died and the best that can come out of it is improvements to the safety of the vehicle they died in.

If they died in a vehicle with safety issues so obvious that basic human intellect dictates that driving it in a dangerous fashion was even more stupid that unsafe driving alone then that doesn't lessen the tragedy, but it adds a certain irony to the claims of said vehicles "safe design" philosophy that has been used as an excuse for totaling the vehicle in a walking speed collision.

Personally I think these kinds of deaths are sad but inevitable. The whole issue of battery safety was swept under the rug in the light of a vehicle with no exhaust. And just like the people who died after X-raying themselves a lethal dose as a party gag in the ealry 20th century, dying to a battery fire in a tesla will always at least be partially your fault if you drive a 100kwh bomb on wheels in an unsafe manner additionally to the obvious issues of a car that doesn't have a door handle for styling reasons.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you realize that you can get in an accident even when you aren’t “driving in an unsafe manner,” right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think combat theory just meant "don't come back at me saying 'but the vehicle is unsafe and they were driving it unsafely' because that's an awful thing to say". even if they were being dumbass teenagers a car made in the past couple years should not roast you alive because you hit a guardrail or tree or whatever

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You cannot remove lead by UV, it must be filtered out with fine filter like osmosis. I assume that is being done.

every source I can find, including the official City of Flint press release, mentions only the UV filtration and notes that it will "disinfect lead and bacteria"

no mention of osmosis, and it doesn't seem to be a standard feature of UV filtration

i'm guessing uv filtration is cheaper and effectiveness was never a factor in the decision

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's probably UV + filtration because UV alone isn't enough anyway.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1048998315117957121

not tesla but apparently just as big of a scam

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i mean.... technically 'disinfect lead' isn't an incorrect claim

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

i still prefer the interpretation that oolong mosque is just giving the children very sanitary lead to drink

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol a tesla knockoff called faraday

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm gonna start a tesla knockoff and call it ohm

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

at least the law will be on your side.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

you realize that you can get in an accident even when you aren’t “driving in an unsafe manner,” right?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think combat theory just meant "don't come back at me saying 'but the vehicle is unsafe and they were driving it unsafely' because that's an awful thing to say". even if they were being dumbass teenagers a car made in the past couple years should not roast you alive because you hit a guardrail or tree or whatever

Thanks. I lost it half way. Not my intention to ramble about drivers especially after a lethal collision... It's just mind boggling to me that people go out and treat these cars as if they were regular vehicles without an engine noise without once thinking about how fuckin dangerous the accumulated power is.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tesla: don't look at our production panel gaps

Faraday: how many mismatched mixes of the same grey can we spray on a single show vehicle

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Tesla: don't look at our production panel gaps

Faraday: how many mismatched mixes of the same grey can we spray on a single show vehicle

light and shadow. how does it work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

every source I can find, including the official City of Flint press release, mentions only the UV filtration and notes that it will "disinfect lead and bacteria"

no mention of osmosis, and it doesn't seem to be a standard feature of UV filtration

i'm guessing uv filtration is cheaper and effectiveness was never a factor in the decision

i'd imagine they'll cite how the lead levels in the water already meet federal standards, which was like half the problem in the first place

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

akadajet posted:

light and shadow. how does it work?

Driver side door is mismatched. Pretty badly that is.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 7, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Driver side door is mismatched. Pretty badly that is.

it's a lighting thing. but it's really funny to see their demo fail on the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOUAbtQy8k&t=3430s

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

thanks, you were right

E: lol. Press Button, mucho anticipation.... Car doesnt do anything. Good Presentation of AI safety

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

you should name it henry