Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Put me more in mind of the Sycorax and their scout robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I thought the story was simple, but just what they needed. In part to introduce a new cast of characters, but also because they were likely figuring on having a bunch of new viewers tuning in, and they needed to be able to immediately grasp what was going on.

I'm sure they'll get to bigger scale things (although I hope they don't get as self-referential and obsessed with 'clever' ongoing puzzles as previous seasons) but this was a great basic foundation to build off.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The CGI on the worm ball was really good and far better than we've had in the past.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the award for most improved audio department goes to doctor who

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose when you are making two or three fewer episodes than usual, you have more to left over to spend on making the others look and sound better.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Counter to the guy earlier who said that this wasn't designed for new viewers, I disagree entirely. It was an hour long primer into the way Doctor Who works - weird stuff, conversations with a villain, working together, not killing if at all possible, improvising, etc. Did it introduce any of the lore?

No. Which is a positive.

I thought it tacked that stuff onto a very mundane episode, though. There were a few good moments (I liked the Doctor getting the relationship between the two things completely wrong, and then saying that she got it wrong, as an example of something we haven't seen much of recently) but all in all it was a mediocre version of Predator 2 with some cliches piled on top (that security guy had one day until retirement :mad: ).

The cliffhanger was great, mind.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

spog posted:

At the very real risk of being 'that guy', did the new screwdriver design remind any other viewers of something else?
novelty answers:
-this has been discussed ad nauseam
-maybe its low key on purpose for empowerment reasons
-spork
real answer:
-production would have definitely been aware of this. but its snazzy.

also, gonna show my flatmates and friends the ep on the big wall projector tonight! can't wait to see the powerful ep in massive detail :love:
e:

Safeword posted:

So why did the Doctor get all pissy at that guy for kicking Tim off the crane?
i can only assume its a quick beat to establish Doctor Who's pacificism/pacifistic nuance as to when its definitely not ok to kill a villian "... no right..." echoes tennant stuff.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 8, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I mean, I'm kind of on board with a whole season built around the Doctor clawing her way back to her Tardis through all sorts of obstacles. Access to a Time Machine and all the tech inside it is a huge asset, I can't even count how many times it was integral to solving the big problem of the episode. If you told me it was half the time I'd believe you.

Hmm. My sense is that it's probably more important in the new series generally and in Moffat's bit of it specifically.

I don't have time right now for a complete survey and perhaps nobody else is interested. But here's a quick count of times the TARDIS was integral in a Fourth Doctor story:
Planet of Evil (marginally), Pyramids of Mars (equipment), Hand of Fear (offering transport partially resolves problem, or at least moves it elsewhere), The Invisible Enemy (again, as much part of the complication as the solution, but still integral), Underworld, The Pirate Planet, The Stones of Blood (saving K-9), The Armageddon Factor (arguable), City of Death, Shada, Warrior's Gate (arguably), Logopolis (again, arguably).
In terms of solving a problem, I'd count Pyramids, Hand of Feat, Invisible Enemy, Underworld, Pirate Planet, Stones of Blood, and City of Death.

That's not a lot.

I suspect the TARDIS solves problems in the new series in closer to 20% or fewer of episodes. They just tend to be blockbuster episodes or end of season episodes. Then again, there's lots more of the "materialize around people to protect them" stuff that the old series restricted because the Doctor could rarely pilot that precisely.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Doctor melted a heckton of spoons down to make a new Sonic

I'd be surprised if it wasn't phallic as a result

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just got round to watching it: thought it was fine. Then again, on average I think Doctor Who's fine anyway, if wildly inconsistent. I'd still go with The Eleventh Hour as a better intro episode, but this was good.

Presumably Tim Shaw is going to survive what happened to him anyway since he teleported away mid-fall, assuming his people have a cure for the DNA rewritey virus (and they may well do, otherwise why would the Doctor have bothered to give him back his recall switch?).

Also the return of Northern accents, yay (and no-one being puzzled that the Doctor was from the North because nearly all of them were too :v: ).

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctor melted a heckton of spoons down to make a new Sonic

I'd be surprised if it wasn't phallic as a result

Why did that garage have such a big cutlery drawer? The plot holes have already started coming thick and fast

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Plavski posted:

Why did that garage have such a big cutlery drawer?

...emergencies?

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1049219904673652736

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Aww, Bradley Walsh really was brilliant; it's like we finally get the Doctor and Wilf Adventure Hour we'd always wanted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

The theme with a trailer for this season's guest stars:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1049019070576779264

Wait, Chris Noth? They get an actual American to (I'm assuming) play an American and not just get some to use a terrible American accent? I'm shocked.

I wonder if it will take place in D.C., New York, or the dessert, where all American episodes take place.

edit: Oh, and the episode was great. Feels like a whole new show. Can't wait for more.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 8, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The new sonic doesn’t look like a vibrator to me, but it does look like Cyberman tech. The closeup isn’t flattering though. It looks like a Monopoly piece machine mistake.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

thrawn527 posted:

I wonder if it will take place in D.C., New York, or the dessert, where all American episodes take place.

To be fair, those are the three basic types of america.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I wonder if it will take place in D.C., New York, or the dessert

Cheesecake Factory it is!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Matinee posted:

Unfortunately, that episode seemed to confirm my biggest reservation about this series - that Chris Chibnall is absolutely nowhere near the writer that RTD or Moffat were in their prime - or even just their respective first eps as showrunner. Were it not for the fact it's a regen episode, I don't think the script would be memorable in any way, which is worrying, seeing as it's supposed to be Chibnall setting out his stall.
Sure, Chibnail has written some real steamers--but I don't think the Torchwood eps should count, because that was pretty uniformly bad and when you're writing an episode of Farty The Clown's Happy Mudbutt Hour it's gonna be bad even if you are a good writer--but since then there was Broadchurch so a bit of redemption there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

SiKboy posted:

To be fair, those are the three basic types of america.

I want the Doctor to try and go to Disney World, but gets stuck trying to track down meth addicts in a run down Orlando suburb.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So, this is honestly the first time I've seen anything set in Sheffield. Like I honestly cannot remember it ever being in a movie or a show or whatnot. I've seen Norwich more than that. Isn't Depeche Mode from there?

:eng101: The Full Monty (watch it) and When Saturday Comes (don't bother unless, like Sean Bean, you love a gallon of Magnet and a greasy chip butty)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

I want the Doctor to try and go to Disney World, but gets stuck trying to track down meth addicts in a run down Orlando suburb.

As an Orlando resident...accurate. Also, I want this as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"The Doctor Does Disney" would be fantastic

Probably cost an arm and a leg though

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

thrawn527 posted:

The Horror of Fang Rock Pine Hills

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

thrawn527 posted:

The Doctor faces off against Florida (cyber)Man.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Trin Tragula posted:

:eng101: The Full Monty (watch it) and When Saturday Comes (don't bother unless, like Sean Bean, you love a gallon of Magnet and a greasy chip butty)

And of course that fine travelogue Threads.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
The Doctor: It's like Space Florida! :dance:

*TARDIS lands in a trailer park where mostly snowbirds reside, festooned with US, UK, Canadian and Confederate flags; outside is a gas station where a group of locals is arguing loudly about pro wrestling. Out of nowhere, an elderly man strides down the street wearing nothing but a pair of sneakers*

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

spog posted:

At the very real risk of being 'that guy', did the new screwdriver design remind any other viewers of something else?

Welcome to your first SA Doctor Who Thread, you incredibly observant goon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apposite, considering the thread title.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Frankenstyle posted:

I dunno. I was really looking forward to Jodie Whittaker because she's great in everything I've seen her in, and because I know there are a bunch of weirdos pearl clutching about a lady doctor. But the actual episode felt like a so-so monster of the week episode stretched into a two parter when it should have been more grand in scale as a introduction to a new Doctor. Filming it in modern day and building a single monster suit made it feel like they cheaped out on it. Plus the three companions were weirdly boring.

JW was the only good thing about it. And she did well with what she was given to work with. But what she was given... Yikes.

I had basically checked out of the show years ago before the end of Matt Smith's run and caught the odd episode here and there since. I figured I'd tune in because, hey, new Doctor, new show-runner, the intro episodes are usually pretty good, let's see what they came up with to get us excited. Oh no.
I knew we were in trouble from the moment it started out with the utterly bizarre attempt at a heartwarming family thing centered around... a grown-rear end-man trying to learn to ride a bike? What? With a stepfather resentment angle thrown in for some reason? Is any of this going anywhere?
So we follow around a bunch of supporting cast / presumably new companions who manage to collectively have less charisma than Martha Jones, and it's a half-assed monster-of-the-week romp with a zero effort monster and utterly unsatisfying answers to the mysteries it sets up. What's the mysterious artifact for? Oh, there's a generic baddie soldier guy in it with a costume straight out of LEXX. What's the tentacle electricity thing? Oh, it's just the soldier guy's scout probe. Why was the victim frozen? Because cold is the baddie's gimmick for no reason. Why do the victims have teeth missing? Because the villain guy is slapping them onto his face as trophies for no good reason in the most unintentionally hilarious reveal.
The companions who are way too fine with all of this follow the Doctor around as eventually she solves everything by essentially saying "I magic reversed it when you weren't looking!" Also there are cranes for some reason. And then the main companion's mum dies because he needs a tragic backstory I guess, and it lets them try to subvert the YouTube intro bit you had completely forgotten about by this point but as soon as they cut back to it you immediately know where they're going with it and the "twist" isn't a surprise because it's as low-effort and ham-fisted as everything else in this episode. And then everyone teleports to space TUNE IN NEXT WEEK

It was really, really bad. Has the quality of the show really slid this far?

I liked Jodie, but god that was bad.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It was terribly exciting seeing Sheffield bus station, which I'm about 10 years and 4,000 miles away from having seen last.

It's the little things.

Other than that, brilliant stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Entropic posted:

the intro episodes are usually pretty good

This is the strangest opinion in the thread

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is the strangest opinion in the thread

I think I'm mostly just remembering the Matt Smith one which was pretty great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was just splendid.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the cranes were there because the guy the alien was hunting was a crane operator, did that somehow escape you

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

JW was the only good thing about it. And she did well with what she was given to work with. But what she was given... Yikes.

The grown-rear end man trying to learn how to ride a bike is stated to have dyspraxia.

I actually like the episode more after learning that "Tim" is a third-rate Predator carbon-copy that had to cheat his way through his hunt ritual, and collects trophies from weak, defenseless humans to presumably make himself try and look like a badass to his buddies back home.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are a few plots with an alien trying to find a human trophy, it's so common. I just wish they'd do something fun and different with it, like maybe the alien and his trophy end up in a scuffle with some third party on the way to the ship, the human fends well for himself and wins the alien's respect, opening the avenue for a compromise. By the time the Doctor arrives they've already agreed to something, like treating it like a fishing trip where after showing him off to his friends for a couple of days, then he'll "throw him back" or something.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Entropic posted:

I knew we were in trouble from the moment it started out with the utterly bizarre attempt at a heartwarming family thing centered around... a grown-rear end-man trying to learn to ride a bike? What? With a stepfather resentment angle thrown in for some reason? Is any of this going anywhere?
Are you familiar with the term 'ableist'?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

The Husbands of River Song in particular I didn't think was all that great but River's giant speech about the Doctor not loving her (followed by "Hello, Sweetie") and their final conversation together really hit hard.

Yeah, that had me sobbing considering my recovery from my divorce. In fact, I'm tearing up right now thinking about it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Entropic posted:

It was really, really bad. Has the quality of the show really slid this far?

It's always been this bad, dude. DW has always been a bad, but entertaining show with occasional honestly good stuff sprinkled in.

But I agree with the DNA bomb stuff. "Oh, I just removed the macguffin threat 30 minutes ago off-screen. Whatever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think the plotting is this episode's strong point, to be sure, but the plot does what it's meant to do and otherwise mostly stays out of the way, which I think is the way to go (especially after years of labyrinthine puzzle-box stories).

(It's also essentially the same plot structure as The Eleventh Hour, and, for that matter, Rose.)