Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Count Uvula posted:

Anyway inspired of them to hire a minor Blood Money target to market their new Hitman game, but I prefer the new Hitmans that seem to have a strange adoration for humanity over the "Everyone is a sex pervert criminal" Hitman of the past.
I get and agree with everything before this, but maybe it's because English is my 4th language or something but I just can't parse that sentence. What are you trying to say?

njsykora posted:

I've seen a few people call them out on Twitter and the response has basically been non-existent since he retained enough of a fanbase through being professionally linked with the McElroys for so long to become a fairly large Youtuber so they likely don't care.
15K views is not a lot, though

Fuego Fish posted:

And you don't even own a television :smuggo:
Well I do. But I don't watch american TV, because I live on another continent? Now what? Maybe some context? Or maybe you keep up the smug act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

death to youtube

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lollerich posted:

Well I do. But I don't watch american TV, because I live on another continent? Now what? Maybe some context? Or maybe you keep up the smug act?

I was just making a dumb joke.

In any case, the McElroys have (in addition to many podcasts) a bunch of youtube series, a reasonably solid presence on twitter, a comic book, and a few other things. They're pretty cool people and you're really doing yourself a disservice if you're actively avoiding them.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lollerich posted:

I get and agree with everything before this, but maybe it's because English is my 4th language or something but I just can't parse that sentence. What are you trying to say?

I have not played much of the past titles except for a little bit of Blood Money (The tutorial level...woof), but from Hitman 2016, I think he means that despite its own funhouse mirror of society, it posits that humanity is generally good and the people you are going after are for the most part upper crust assholes that deserve to be drowned in a toilet filled with their own vomit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Imagine someone pissing in a corner in Absolution, then imagine someone pissing in a corner in 2016. Those two identical corner pisses would have two very different messages behind them, purely from the context of the game they're in.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Hitman 2016 is not subtle at all about its socioeconomic commentary: Bosses treat their staff like poo poo and can't even tell who works for them, the only jobs anybody notices are the ones with guns and all those guys are chummy trigger-happy macho dicks, and every elaborate scheme is just one act of disgruntled sabotage away from going to absolute poo poo. The game mechanics encourage you to help out the little guy or at least merely knock him out for his disguise, and condition you to loving hate guards for being nosy power-tripping pricks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And y'know, the final area being a hospital for the 1% that is basically run on murder and organ theft, letting the wealthy neglect their bodies because they can literally use the bodies of the poor to make up for it, and many of the Elusive Targets (I do love how every one of them has their own story and personality) indicate they're up to all kinds of heinous and illegal poo poo besides, including secretly serving dictators and criminals with illegal treatments.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Having said all that I like the way that the game makes absolutely no bones about the cynical and mercenary nature of ICA and it's employees regardless. The guys they kill may be crooks, but that's usually just a happy accident and endemic of the sorts of people who naturally end up in such powerful positions, 47 is usually going after fools on the behest of organisations like MI6(Paris) a giant construction concern(Marrakesh) or just the ICA themselves (Sapienza and Japan) to keep their lives more simple rather than for anything close to a moral reason.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Having said all that I like the way that the game makes absolutely no bones about the cynical and mercenary nature of ICA and it's employees regardless. The guys they kill may be crooks, but that's usually just a happy accident and endemic of the sorts of people who naturally end up in such powerful positions, 47 is usually going after fools on the behest of organisations like MI6(Paris) a giant construction concern(Marrakesh) or just the ICA themselves (Sapienza and Japan) to keep their lives more simple rather than for anything close to a moral reason.

My pet theory is that the bulk of the ICA's jobs is killing off activists, whistleblowers and other people inconvenient to the rich and powerful but since those people usually don't have much protection they just send the grunts or the interns do it. 47 on the other hand, being the best of the best, is sent to deal with the hardest targets.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But I got the impression that in 2016, the ICA only takes contracts that they deem moral. Even 47 refers to that idea in the conversation at the airport. If Jordan Cross hadn't killed anyone and was a total innocent, they'd have refused it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

But I got the impression that in 2016, the ICA only takes contracts that they deem moral. Even 47 refers to that idea in the conversation at the airport. If Jordan Cross hadn't killed anyone and was a total innocent, they'd have refused it.

I didn't get that impression at all, despite 47 saying "the contract was just". I took that as meaning "there were no hidden agendas on part of the clients" in contrast to the Shadow Client. What really irks the ICA is them being manipulated for some unknown purpose, which really puts a hamper on their professional attitude.

Heck, remember the Sapienza mission briefing: it was essentially "Here is a virus that can kill any specific target from across the globe with a DNA sample. Not only does this have horrifying possibilities, it can also put us out of a job! This cannot stand!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nakar posted:

Hitman 2016 is not subtle at all about its socioeconomic commentary: Bosses treat their staff like poo poo and can't even tell who works for them, the only jobs anybody notices are the ones with guns and all those guys are chummy trigger-happy macho dicks, and every elaborate scheme is just one act of disgruntled sabotage away from going to absolute poo poo. The game mechanics encourage you to help out the little guy or at least merely knock him out for his disguise, and condition you to loving hate guards for being nosy power-tripping pricks.

one moment that really clinched the game's atmosphere from me was coming back from a hard shift at work where the assistant manager had a crying nervous breakdown and then running into the locker room in paris

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

AceOfFlames posted:

Heck, remember the Sapienza mission briefing: it was essentially "Here is a virus that can kill any specific target from across the globe with a DNA sample. Not only does this have horrifying possibilities, it can also put us out of a job! This cannot stand!"

They even mention that it's the company that's hiring them that's taking the 'moral grounds' approach, while Diana is much more concerned about the repercussions on the "pluggin' folks in creative ways" industry.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh also now I want a game where 47 is put out of work by cheaper, automated assassin robots and has to grapple with the quandaries of his down to earth, working class skills being made redundant in the new world while he tries to retrain as a pastry chef.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think these games have revealed Agent 47 to be a man of many talents. He can successfully blend in as a professional drummer, a masseuse, an opera singer, a clown, etc etc

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I like how Diana is impressed 47 disguising himself during the ICA test, calling it an unorthodox solution, since it implies his absurd ability to disguise himself in seconds is actually a trademark technique that sets him apart.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Oh also now I want a game where 47 is put out of work by cheaper, automated assassin robots and has to grapple with the quandaries of his down to earth, working class skills being made redundant in the new world while he tries to retrain as a pastry chef.

He seemed to like being a humble church gardener in Silent Assassin. Maybe the Hitman franchise is secretly an extended prequel to Farming Simulator.

Pigbuster posted:

I like how Diana is impressed 47 disguising himself during the ICA test, calling it an unorthodox solution, since it implies his absurd ability to disguise himself in seconds is actually a trademark technique that sets him apart.

In that linked Hitman 2 video 47 manages to copy his victim's arm tattoos by wearing said victim's clothes. 47 is literally magic.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 11, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

He seemed to like being a humble church gardener in Silent Assassin. Maybe the Hitman franchise is secretly an extended prequel to Farming Simulator.

In that linked Hitman 2 video 47 manages to copy his victim's arm tattoos by wearing said victim's clothes. 47 is literally magic.

Magic markers are a standard part of his kit, like fiber wire.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
47 has handled nuclear weapons in at least two instances and nothing went wrong. The man always does his homework.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khwarezm posted:

Kane and Lynch loving sucked and both games were dime-a-dozen third person shooters plastered with Absolution style edginess.

You're wrong because they were both games of the generation way ahead of their time, sorry if that hurts your soul.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunken Baker posted:

I think I've brought this up before, but Kane & Lynch started off as a different kind of game to what eventually came out. I remember back when they first revealed the character art (which also changed, slightly) they said the crux of the game hinged on dealing with Lynch in a Tamagochi style way. It was single player only (multiplayer being forced in after Gears of War was a hit, I think?) and whilst you were doing these heists and hits you had to keep an eye on Lynch and either force him to take his anti-psychotics or just let him go all out mental to take the heat from you.

I think the most criminal part is, you miss out on Lynch's entire story the way the game is now unless you play through the whole thing in co-op as player 2. A lot of his backstory (though I don't think it's as deep as it should have been) was told in monologue during loading screens. And as someone who was dealing with pretty severe psychotic breaks at the time I recall a lot of hit hitting pretty close to home... I mean, not the seeing everyone as pig-headed cops. That only happened that one time. But there were some bits about him lamenting losing his family because he got sick and pleading his case (to no-one) about how he wasn't such a bad guy... And then he murders everyone.

Looking back on the OG soundtrack now, yeah, it was honestly something else, and I'm sad with all the legitimate controversy, admittedly, nobody else picked up on the series.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In the narrative, ICA is amoral and will work for anyone, with the condition that their business requires the world is mostly stable- this is part of why the UN and interpol are popular customers, and why people trying to manipulate the agency risk retribution (though at this point it's still happened like 5 times). But it's not as if you're not knocking over mob witnesses in some missions.

In 2016, it's absolutely intended that the ICA and 47 also serve as a class critique. Diana's explanation of the ingeniousness of 47's disguise ability isn't just that he's talented, but that people don't see past the uniform, and don't notice or know the identities of workers. Your ability to blend into roles, and to serve interchangeably even with high-ranking people, is an important facet of the world of 47 (it's also part of what makes Strandberg unusually scary as a target).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 11, 2018

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

people don't see past the uniform, and don't notice or know the identities of workers.

While it's obviously for ease of gameplay, this is particularly hilarious in Bangkok where if you call room service to your suite, the senior person of the pair who arrive doesn't notice if the junior staffer who literally arrived with them seconds earlier comes out of the room with a different face. She just orders you to hurry up

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Kane and Lynch 2 was an extremely good game. It was just simultaneously very unpleasant, and nerds have trouble viewing media, especially video games, as anything other than escapism.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's ok to like bad and mediocre games, it ain't a crime.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Kane and Lynch weren't great games but they were definitely fantastic to play co-op through. Considering my co-op buddies game tendencies too, it worked out with him on Lynch.

The first time he started randomly shooting civvies I freaked out and was like "the gently caress are you doing" and then I realised that on his screen they were all cops and he was in character. It was so cool at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

khwarezm posted:

HK-47 was a Hitman reference, right?

Discendo Vox posted:

In the narrative, ICA is amoral and will work for anyone, with the condition that their business requires the world is mostly stable- this is part of why the UN and interpol are popular customers, and why people trying to manipulate the agency risk retribution (though at this point it's still happened like 5 times). But it's not as if you're not knocking over mob witnesses in some missions.

In 2016, it's absolutely intended that the ICA and 47 also serve as a class critique. Diana's explanation of the ingeniousness of 47's disguise ability isn't just that he's talented, but that people don't see past the uniform, and don't notice or know the identities of workers. Your ability to blend into roles, and to serve interchangeably even with high-ranking people, is an important facet of the world of 47 (it's also part of what makes Strandberg unusually scary as a target).

Like the ol' Discworld Assassins' Guild; they won't take contracts that would't just ruin the game but smash the board. (I think there is one assassin in Making Money whose description oddly recalls Agent 47)

Probably that when it comes to activists, whistleblowers and people without pots of money and heavily secure areas, you don't need the ICA.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

HK-47 was a Hitman reference, right?

Or Ak-47. But 47 himself could be a nod to that. So maybe?

A HK-47 assassin game would be baller.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dogstile posted:

Kane and Lynch weren't great games but they were definitely fantastic to play co-op through. Considering my co-op buddies game tendencies too, it worked out with him on Lynch.

The first time he started randomly shooting civvies I freaked out and was like "the gently caress are you doing" and then I realised that on his screen they were all cops and he was in character. It was so cool at the time.

Kane and Lynch were actually pretty good fun and I'm sad that the dumb Gamespot poo poo kind of poisoned the well on them forever, the multiplayer was especially cool, being kind of a proto-Payday with backstabbing.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

That’s just because all the other ICA agents are doing SA/SO all the time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1050733071249629184

this could be sick

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hell yeah.

Incidentally, that reminds me that when I was deep into season 1 I had a dream Hitman had multiplayer coop, the stealth ended up every much like Monaco's.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hitman esports.....FINALLY

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So what's going on here, are these two people playing different instances of the game but you can see where the other person is in your game? Like you're not going to be racing to a target to take him out before the other person, right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Looks like separate instances but taking place at the same time. You are racing to take out all the targets before the other person, but once someone takes out one of the targets the other player has to match them within a window of time or they lose.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm assuming "losing" a target is to get a point penalty rather than a sudden game over.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Blog Post giving the details

• You earn a point by killing the target you're given. Once a target's down, the other player has a limited amount of time to get that kill, or they'll miss out on keeping the score equal. (Of course, killing non-targets costs points)
  • Scattered around the map are "Ghost Crates" with a selection of items. You can only take one item... but that means the other player won't be able to take that item.
  • Each player is within their own instance of the world, although you can see the other player, along with their disguise and equipped item.
  • Certain "ghost items" can be used to actively gently caress with the other player. For example, a Ghost Coin that makes a noise and attracts attention in both players' instances of the world...
  • If you die, you'll respawn in the world with the same disguise and combat status. You don't lose points for dying.
  • Ghost Mode will only be available in Miami at launch, with support for other levels (including Season 1) rolling out after launch.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Now I want 32 player ghost-multiplayer with this.

Imagine 32 players starting Paris together. You can see the others, but you can't interact. And add a modifier where there is a x/y chance that when another player knocks out a NPC and hides the body, that NPC disappear from your instance. So it's a race for the good disguises.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks like a neat add-in but not sure if I'll ever bother with it. I'd love a Blacklist style co-op mode (there's still time before launch??) but I'm not playing Hitman to race around the map trying to get to the targets as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

MMF Freeway posted:

Looks like separate instances but taking place at the same time. You are racing to take out all the targets before the other person, but once someone takes out one of the targets the other player has to match them within a window of time or they lose.

There's some crossing over of the instances though, with the ghost crates and items. They reference the "ghost coin," which you can use to cause a distraction in your opponent's instance. There are also "ghost crates" which contain the only items you can pick up in the level, but are shared between instances so it's first come first serve from the items available in each one.

The more I think about the possibilities of this, the more I like it. Targets are random so no game is the same. It's first to 5, but you're both competing over the same target at any given time so the focus is still on one target. A player can elect to wreck the stealth path of their opponent using the ghost coin or other ghost items. That means your own route could be unexpectedly compromised by your opponent, forcing you to adjust on the fly.

Sounds amazing!