Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm excited to fallout with my two other friends who PC game.

Who else is hype?????

I am cautiously excited! I wanted Fallout 4 with friends and this looks like it might be that (I don't care if people in the thread say it isn't)! It could still horribly fail if the gameplay gets repetitive or buggy to the point of not being playable. Since this appears to be focused on exploring, crafting, building and surviving it will at least stay fun until me and my friends finish tricking out our power armor and building an impenetrable doom fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Father actually wasn't orchestrating anything after he let you loose. He just wanted to see what you would do. He stated that he banished Kelogg after he took over. It's really just your burning love as a parent to find him.

LoL, yeah because following an Institute synth to Kellogg is totally just an accident driven by your burning love for your child and wasn't orchestrated by the guy in charge of the group that designs and produces the synths... That makes sense.

Super Rad posted:

1. Not exactly what even happened in the plot lol, but I also think that whole vein is extremely dumb, the game is constantly reminding you that you don't know how long you were in cryo for and then tries stupidly to 'surprise' you with a synth son... which was apparently meant to make your character less confused? lol

2. No idea what you're talking about - didn't mention Deus Ex Machina once so you are reading into things that aren't there

Deus Ex Machina means a fortunate coincidence to drive a plot forward. Jesus loving christ are you trying to talk about what makes a good plot without actually knowing anything about plot devices? Of course you are.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
A lot of these concerns might be rectified some time after launch, when they roll out how they're handling private servers/modding. I'm sure some of you will be scoffing and rolling your eyes and saying "Fool! They will never release those tools!" but they're probably the same ones that said the same thing for Oblivion. And then for Skyrim. And then for Fallout 4.

The point is that this is simply how Bethesda does things. Get the drat thing out then door, make sure it isn't actively on fire, THEN start polishing up the internal tools for broader use.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

7c Nickel posted:

The point is that this is simply how Bethesda does things. Get the drat thing out then door, make sure it isn't actively on fire, THEN start polishing up the internal tools for broader use.

Oh, like I take a poo poo then.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

LoL, yeah because following an Institute synth to Kellogg is totally just an accident driven by your burning love for your child and wasn't orchestrated by the guy in charge of the group that designs and produces the synths... That makes sense.

You used dogmeat to find Kelogg. There's no mention if the memory is with robot shaun or the actual shaun before he went to the Institute. You're clearly just creating your own backstory to try to support fallout 4.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Couple people gettin super desperate to defend the bad game

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Deus Ex Machina means a fortunate coincidence to drive a plot forward.

No it doesn't (the coincidence has to be so great as to detract from the legitimacy in the plot to qualify as DeM, fortuitous coincidences occur in plots all the time without qualifying as DeM), not to mention that I never even mentioned this literary device in the first place - please explain how what I posted referenced DeM at all.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
does this game have tiered/techproduction chains like conan did where you need to harvest some things to get materials to make other things or is it all just scrapping junk?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
E V E R Y YouTube video remotely related to Fallout 76 filled chock-full to the brim with Fallout fanbois all making a comment with little variation on the theme of:

YUP IT'S CONFIRMED THIS GAME IS GOING TO SUCK AND I'M NOT BUYING IT TODD HOWARD DESTROYS MY LIFE YET AGAIN

I am STILL trying to figure out how these people can hate the IDEA of this game so much even after all of their conspiratard theories about the game have been debunked. Say what you will about Bethesda's handling of the way the game was revealed - I don't really have a problem with it - but the expectations of most of these people is now and has always been WAY off base. I sat through a three hour video of someone just playing some of the game at the press event - a controlled environment, to be sure - and the only thing I found actually to be objectionable is some poor framerate in certain places. Beyond that, the game looks super fun to me.

I dunno; it seems like a really reasonable way to integrate Fallout into a MMO space without making the game into a lovely MMO and keeping it clearly as a Fallout game that will be instantly recognizable as a Fallout game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

You used dogmeat to find Kelogg. There's no mention if the memory is with robot shaun or the actual shaun before he went to the Institute. You're clearly just creating your own backstory to try to support fallout 4.

people in the current Diamond City remember Kellogg living there with a young boy, he very obviously was there with Fake Shaun. unless you think people offhandedly remember the comings and goings of people 50 years ago.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So father planned out entire thing from the start? That really doesn't line up with see what his parent would do in a nuclear fallout land. If he wanted to see what the parent would do why would he leave breadcrumbs? It's almost like the main story is a dumpster fire.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I am STILL trying to figure out how these people can hate the IDEA of this game so much even after all of their conspiratard theories about the game have been debunked.

:confused:

If anything the videos have vindicated a lot of the bad things you were only able to fairly surely assume before.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
well it's almost like people have different expectations and wishes from the video game!!! call the press!!!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The videos make it look...not very fun at all. Fallout shooting feels bad, at least in SP you have VATS which at least looks cool. But a multiplayer game centered around shooting stuff on this janky-rear end engine...I think I'll probably pass. Fallout ticks all of the boxes for poo poo I love in games, but it just doesn't feel tight to play. I've been whining about it for years but at this point I don't think they'll ever move over to an entire new engine, just keep adding stuff onto this garbage one they have.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
/r/fallout: Fallout 76 has retconned-in the Brotherhood of Steel

lol

I bet if Bethesda ever makes a Fallout pre-war prequel set in China, it'll have the Brotherhood of Steel.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Idk looks cool, hit me up on PS4 when we get it and we can go trash hunting

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Didn't know there's a new Deus Ex out. Machina - sounds like some kind of prequel?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Megazver posted:

lol

I bet if Bethesda ever makes a Fallout pre-war prequel set in China, it'll have the Brotherhood of Steel.
Aren't the Super Mutants not supposed to exist yet either, especially in the Eastern US?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

well it's almost like people have different expectations and wishes from the video game!!! call the press!!!

For instance no one has been able to adequately explain the esports moba thing to me yet, and I miss old school rts sometimes.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Tenzarin posted:

Can we be sure Dogmeat isn't a synth, though? :ssh:

Anyroad, the videos have not soured me on F76, I'm pretty sure I'll have fun playing it. It really does look like F4 but multiplayer and stuck online (the only real complaint I have about this game, without having played it yet).

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Aren't the Super Mutants not supposed to exist yet either, especially in the Eastern US?
These are clearly the Subpar Mutants, going by the thread.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It wouldn't be a bethesda fallout without brotherhood of steel and orcs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Vault 87 and Institute Super Mutants are separate FEV strains that Bethesda retconned into the franchise. These are probably Institute muties so Bethesda can recycle their models.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wow, I just read the last dozen pages. Why are people getting so salty about this game? It's coop Fallout???

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I am cautiously excited! I wanted Fallout 4 with friends and this looks like it might be that (I don't care if people in the thread say it isn't)! It could still horribly fail if the gameplay gets repetitive or buggy to the point of not being playable. Since this appears to be focused on exploring, crafting, building and surviving it will at least stay fun until me and my friends finish tricking out our power armor and building an impenetrable doom fortress.

Yes my dude.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 9, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

What? You can't get into Kellogg's house without first rescuing Nick, nor can you progress to find the way into the Institute without hooking up Kellogg's cyber implant to Nick in The Memory Den.

Super Rad posted:

No it doesn't (the coincidence has to be so great as to detract from the legitimacy in the plot to qualify as DeM, fortuitous coincidences occur in plots all the time without qualifying as DeM), not to mention that I never even mentioned this literary device in the first place - please explain how what I posted referenced DeM at all.

So if I'm getting this right, are you saying that there is no true Scotsman?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wow, I just read the last dozen pages. Why are people getting so salty about this game? It's coop Fallout???

Yes my dude.

My dude!

Tenzarin posted:

It wouldn't be a bethesda fallout without brotherhood of steel and orcs.

Edit: I didn't read the note carefully enough. It says "The Brotherhood" and my brain added "of Steel".

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 10, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Not having watched the videos yet, I'm not sure how to square the "No NPCs" thing with the "Brotherhood of Steel is here" thing. Are they just perma-hostile like super mutants and feral ghouls? Is the West Virginia Brotherhood composed of nothing but computer terminal entries and voices speaking to you from the other side of locked doors?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Not having watched the videos yet, I'm not sure how to square the "No NPCs" thing with the "Brotherhood of Steel is here" thing. Are they just perma-hostile like super mutants and feral ghouls? Is the West Virginia Brotherhood composed of nothing but computer terminal entries and voices speaking to you from the other side of locked doors?

They are mentioned in a note, that's all that anyone has seen of them as of yet, and all it says is "Brotherhood warned them". There aren't actually any BoS NPCs.

Edit: Pic -

Edit again: It does mention them by name further down, so they exist somehow. I'm guessing Defiance is the big space station that crashed that was spoilered early on and maybe they were the beginning of the BoS? They might have been in contact with the group in Lost Hills until they crashed down, who knows.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 10, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

deathbagel posted:

They are mentioned in a note, that's all that anyone has seen of them as of yet, and all it says is "Brotherhood warned them". There aren't actually any BoS NPCs.

EDIT

Misread the post

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

What? You can't get into Kellogg's house without first rescuing Nick, nor can you progress to find the way into the Institute without hooking up Kellogg's cyber implant to Nick in The Memory Den.

Father didn't let nick escape so you could find him.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Father didn't let nick escape so you could find him.

No, but Father did specifically have Kellogg to go sit in a house with a fake younger version of himself a few years before he decided to remotely defrost you. He obviously had decided to leave a least a slim trail well before you start playing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's no mention how long the kid robot was there and it's only referred to as recently. Recently wouldn't be a few years.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

deathbagel posted:

Edit again: It does mention them by name further down, so they exist somehow. I'm guessing Defiance is the big space station that crashed that was spoilered early on and maybe they were the beginning of the BoS? They might have been in contact with the group in Lost Hills until they crashed down, who knows.

Just wanted to add this from Oxhorn's stream, he met a dev who had Brotherhood Fatigues in their inventory during a trade session

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It'd be funny if this were referring to some other, totally unaffiliated brotherhood

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm disappointed they haven't adjusted combat at all. Encounters go like this- you make forward movement , you encounter enemy, you walk backwards taking shots at the enemy as they swarm you until one of you is dead. It's never felt good to play or watch, made worse by the engine which just doesn't feel tight.

It's not unforgivable but i expected some amount of innovation there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

deathbagel posted:

BoS had barely left their initial bunker by 2103 when this game starts, so it makes no sense at all

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Megazver posted:

lol

This is everything I've hoped for :allears:

Rinkles posted:

It'd be funny if this were referring to some other, totally unaffiliated brotherhood
I'd be very disappointed that they faked people out on this sweet retcon

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game looks like poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
whoa stop with the insane vitriol dude.

EDIT

I see that all the guns still have left handed actions and magazines. Probably to be expected considering this is just Fallout 4 recycled in a new map, but it still amuses me thinking up reasons why Bethesda would decide to make all of their guns left handed but used with right handed wielding.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomguy1984
Dec 11, 2009
Ret4rdfallout