Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Todd Howard Says Fallout 76 is For "A Different Audience"

quote:

"...but there's a distinct zeitgeist whose wake successful businesses swim in any industry; video games are no different. And the reality is that we really aren't making a Fallout game for 'Fallout Fans'." Todd Howard explained during an unexpected appearance at Apple's Keynote Event last month, where he demonstrated the hotly anticipated The Elder Scrolls: Blades on an iPhone XS.

"For some people, the spirit of 'Fallout' is defined by these...frankly brutal isometric RPGs. But look around and ask yourself, where is the industry?"

According to T. Howard? Not in isometric RPGs, a genre that was a fundamental pillar of the 1990's.

"If you're paying attention, you're seeing multiplayer survival games. MMORPGs. Battle Royale. Dynamic experiences where a group of players are pitted against each other (or the environment) and where the stories are written by the actions of their opponents...or their teammates. You can't write quests that compelling. You can't design NPCs that alive. So no, in a roundabout way, we're not making Fallout games for traditional Fallout fans. We're making Fallout games for the next generation of Fallout fans--the players who can segue from Fortnite into Fallout, or ARK into Fallout. Or Minecraft into Fallout."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did he just call it a rust clone?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tenzarin posted:

Did he just call it a rust clone?

Could be. There's a lot of rust in Fallout.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lol

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

God bless this mess. :shobon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice backhanded compliment saying that true fallout fans only want isometric RPGs, Todd. Forgotten about New Vegas already.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just make a game with a decent story they did it with morrowind and that morrowind dlc for skyrim.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nice backhanded compliment saying that true fallout fans only want isometric RPGs, Todd. Forgotten about New Vegas already.

Who gives a gently caress about isometric? Just honor the established lore and you'd probably have a lot fewer pissed off Fallout fans Todd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or better yet, make completely new lore without needing to dredge up standbys like mutants ghouls and Brotherhood Bros each time you make a new game no matter how out of place they are.
Fallout isn't or shouldn't be defined by the trademarked identifiable "FALLOUT THINGS" you find within it, but by its themes and its exploration of life beyond the apocalypse. War Never Changes, and neither has Bethesda. They've got a bad case of the Old World Blues where they've got it in their head that Fallout can only look back on the past, either in-universe with lol goofy skeleton poses and an obsession with ironic Americana, or in a meta sense where they keep returning to the same well of mutants power armor etc

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 10, 2018

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The weird thing is, a game set right after the war was interesting as a setting. It would give them a lot of freedom to explore new areas and new history, and even crazy stuff could've been explained away as far in history and geography to "present day fallout" but instead they gotta do this weird thing apparently.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or better yet, make completely new lore without needing to dredge up standbys like mutants ghouls and Brotherhood Bros each time you make a new game no matter how out of place they are.

That's the exact same argument. None of those things should exist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

That's the exact same argument. None of those things should exist

They shouldn't exist but they do because otherwise people might think this game about people in skintight vault suits and pipboys might not be a Fallout game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A game dependent on lore to tell the story is throwing out other parts of its own lore so they don't have to bother their designers (who are probably hard at work on designing the next real Bethesda game)

This is basically ESO for Fallout, except I'm going to play this one because I have no self respect 👀

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Donovan Trip posted:

A game dependent on lore to tell the story is throwing out other parts of its own lore so they don't have to bother their designers (who are probably hard at work on designing the next real Bethesda game)

This is basically ESO for Fallout, except I'm going to play this one because I have no self respect 👀

I want to like a half PVP half co-op focused fallout but they keep gimping pvp to an insane degree and the story seems like its going to be...unserviceable.

Remove the murderer penalty system, make pvp simply opt in or opt out, and lock some pvp vanity exclusive stuff behind it as an incentive to play pvp enabled mode instead of "hey it'll take you a few minutes to kill a guy that refuses to engage, and not only can he fast travel away while you hit him but if you kill I'm you get gimpee by the game"

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 10, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lovely Wizard posted:

lock some pvp vanity exclusive stuff behind it as an incentive to play pvp

this might already be the case. there are pvp exclusive special events/quests.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this game is gonna be okay, i'm gonna play it a bunch, and a throng of mentally ill fallout: new vegas fanatics will have more posts combined about f76 sucking than the rest of the thread combined and it will be lmao

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol Forbes does video game reviews? Bwahahahahahahaha. I love this idiotic timeline.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
almost anyone can 'write' for forbes now. the forbes website is largely just an article mill.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How many times will I have to tell people to stop falling for Cream-of-Plenty's fanfictions? How many times?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

How many times will I have to tell people to stop falling for Cream-of-Plenty's fanfictions? How many times?

you don't have to

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this game is gonna be okay, i'm gonna play it a bunch, and a throng of mentally ill fallout: new vegas fanatics will have more posts combined about f76 sucking than the rest of the thread combined and it will be lmao
I love New Vegas. It's just about my favorite videogame ever. I rank it immeasurably higher than any other fallout I've played (3 and 4). I'm what you'd call a New Vegas fanatic, if you'd call anyone that.

But I enjoyed the Bethesda Fallout games too, and from what I've seen I'll have a great deal of fun with this one. Possibly more fun than I had with 3 or 4, because lonely environmental storytelling was the best thing about those games, and it seems to be what this one is all about.

I will do my best to represent my opinions in a respectful way in this very charged thread. There's no need to put any extra effort into getting people's hackles up. They're pretty raised by default.

I don't think anyone is mentally ill for disliking a game. There's probably more fun or productive things to do than go on and on about how bad something is on the internet, but the way you put it seems more intent on stirring the pot than anything else.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
maybe use your high-level cognition to realize you are not the type of person i am talking about, but instead maybe literally any one of fifteen different interchangable weirdos whose primary goal in online interactions seems to be screaming at people about how they Enjoy The VIdeo Game

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Every star wars movie is going to have revels and the empire and a death star, no matter the timeline. And is a sad waste of a setting and ultimatelly will kill the interest of the public.

The same thing operater here with BoS. Anyway not everything is bad news, theres original creation mixed with the reuse of ideas. I loved that funny looking toad and zombie hivemind id interesting. Like a zerg faction on the fallout universe.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eiba posted:

I can understand people still not being on board with the concept of a MMO Fallout and some of the dumb always-online bullshit.

Personally this is my biggest grief since there is no winning scenario here. If this MMO Fallout bombs, it means that there will be a failed major product in the Fallout franchise, so the next triple A-game of the series will be made sometime after the next ice age. If this is succeeds, there will never be another single player-focused Fallout game.

And I personally hate MMO's and their micro payments and the forced player interaction stuff. I play games to take my mind off my work, not to listen/watch some rear end hat yell abuse in the chat or some weirdo get angry because our team brought assblaster +7, when he specifically wanted everyone to take assblaster +8 or better and now everything is ruined. And I need to collect 5000 moose asses or pay 4.5 Eur to get the assblaster updated.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Personally this is my biggest grief since there is no winning scenario here. If this MMO Fallout bombs, it means that there will be a failed major product in the Fallout franchise, so the next triple A-game of the series will be made sometime after the next ice age. If this is succeeds, there will never be another single player-focused Fallout game.

Yeah neither one of those things are true

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

A reminder that this was the last Fallout before Bethesda sought out the IP.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just watched some of the recent gameplay videos and it looks loving boring.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Game looks like jankier Fallout 4, with the rpg elements even more stripped out (which is kind of annoying cause as much as I think Fallout 4 wasn't great it was still an improvement over 3 and Skyrim and had some legit gold in there) and multiplayer that seems both too intrusive to ignore and too toothless to enjoy. Also no mods, no private servers and a reliance on Bethesda to fix poo poo.

Like if they'd just gone all in on Fallout 4 RUST I'd be happier.

Also I mean , it looks like loving rear end and runs worse. Game looking that ugly and backward and running that badly under ideal conditions is an impressive level of laziness.

Rinkles posted:

you don't have to

I don't know, the fact that people keep trying to spoil it and it STILL keeps happening kinda makes it better.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Fallout 4 is my favourite fallout and watching some of these videos makes me think I could get quite a bit of fun out of this game.

I especially love the redone UI. It looks utterly gorgeous and clean and I am all about that kind of stuff :D

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my question is whether or not I'll get to enact my usual Fallout strategy in 76

which is, do all the drugs/booze then facetank a deathclaw or whatever

I've not watched enough videos yet to tell if "master of drug eating" is a viable play style

also I agree they should just ditch VATs entirely if the alternative is... uh, what it is

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Apparently, you will not be able to do that. The reports are that only one drug's effects will be valid at a time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Although that does seem like it would be a perfect opportunity for a perk card.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Epicurius posted:

Apparently, you will not be able to do that. The reports are that only one drug's effects will be valid at a time.

well that loving blows

it might still be okay if

a.) making chems is not ridiculous
b.) weird amalgam chems like psychobuff are still in
c.) there's chem-related perks

but if I can't play Doctor Florida Man and sell drugs to the community my enthusiasm will deplete considerably

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

maybe use your high-level cognition to realize you are not the type of person i am talking about, but instead maybe literally any one of fifteen different interchangable weirdos whose primary goal in online interactions seems to be screaming at people about how they Enjoy The VIdeo Game

No one’s screaming here champ, just posting

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*hates modern fallout, looks up stream of coop fallout* this is loving DUMB?!!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if they were honest they would have made a fallout fortnite/dayz clone. this rust clone with a fallout coat of paint is a really souless cash grab

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

DoctorGonzo posted:

if they were honest they would have made a fallout fortnite/dayz clone. this rust clone with a fallout coat of paint is a really souless cash grab

How is one more soul less than the other? Howard is even saying it's not a true to form fallout but more like a rust/dayz thing. There's no hidden cash grabbing thing going on not more so than usual

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
What I never got about Fallout 4 was Todd Howard was pretty open about how it was impossible to write a good story for a sandbox game because players in a sandbox game just love to gently caress around, try and kill key story people, wander in and out of the plot, etc. -which looking at what New Vegas managed to do with it's story I sort of disagree, but I can see where he's coming from- so then why did they put such a melodramatic plot in there with the stolen son and everything... it just seemed such a weird choice to make coming in with that mindset.

While I'm still not to keen on the whole vibe of 76 in general, as multiplayer isn't really my thing anymore, I actually quite like they've just committed to far a full on sandboxy starting plot line of 'oh, hey were letting you out of the vault now, go try and make this crappy post-apocalyptic world just a bit less crappy'. Generic as hell, but hey, if it works, it works.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

How is one more soul less than the other? Howard is even saying it's not a true to form fallout but more like a rust/dayz thing. There's no hidden cash grabbing thing going on not more so than usual

Again, Cream Of Plenty writes fakeposts and then links to random unrelated news articles. I don't know if he's doing this as a point about how no one reads articles but it's annoying how many people don't do even the most basic followup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

New Vegas story wasn't that hot. I just enjoyed the western vibe it had. It went well with the post apoc theme. I will say that the factions are a magnitude more interesting then the loving minutemen with their scooty puff jr. guns. Or the underground railroad for robots oooof.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 10, 2018