Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Any of the videos, why do you think there are dozen or so people in the demo running around in the same Red Rocket jumpsuit? Because there is a corpse right next to the entrance to the vault with it. It was pretty glaring in the first Responders' church too, you see all kinds of loot just laying around in there with several people obviously running around grabbing everything that's not nailed down, but none of it gets pick up until the person recording the video picks stuff up.

If you loot a corpse (or a box, or anything that is interact-able, then every other player can also loot that same box. However, if you see a gun that is propped up against the wall, the first person to grab it, gets it and then it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mr Hootington posted:

There are robot trader npcs and vending machines for ammo and meds that we have seen.

There is one quest that had what seemed to be a living person, but they are a voice over a PA system trying to get you to fix a radio tower.

Ahhh, that makes sense.

Still wondering how absurdly broken the basic economy will be, though maybe the inherent brokenness of Bethesda economies and MMO economies will somehow cancel each other out and it will just work out?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vending machines and robots have infinite amounts of basic goods so they serve largely as cap sinks. That won't work, but it's an effort.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Worth noting players can't set the price of items they're selling. It's either a default value or based on some calculation, I don't remember.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

How is one more soul less than the other? Howard is even saying it's not a true to form fallout but more like a rust/dayz thing. There's no hidden cash grabbing thing going on not more so than usual

But it is about ethics in video game capitalism. Bethesda is bulli. They kicked over his sand castle.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Back Hack posted:

Any of the videos, why do you think there are dozen or so people in the demo running around in the same Red Rocket jumpsuit?

You're probably right, but my reaction was that it was cool to see player groups coordinate wardrobe choices. Like an emergent tunnel snakes or atom cats gang.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tunnel snakes outfit is against the lore as that occurred seventy years in the future uuffhhgh why can't they stay true to the lore or just make something new up hughjjjjjbh

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tunnel snakes outfit is against the lore as that occurred seventy years in the future uuffhhgh why can't they stay true to the lore or just make something new up hughjjjjjbh

This but unironically :discourse:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wonder if they'll allow custom logo uploading, like a lot of online games do. Although, afaik, 76 has no player clans or more structured group organization.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Bethesda: check it out coop fallout in West Virginia for some reason

"Fan" of fallout universe: uhh it was established in 1998 that the Eastern seaboard wasn't explored yet as the DC location was the first. If you see this data from an obscure computer log

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Another "fan": this game will completely fail because I won't be able to use my cbbc nude mods which really enhances the gameplay. *Chooses the raider texture with the biggest bush*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The loremaster Oxhorn has a new video showing how there is no lore discrepancies so far.

https://youtu.be/096Hj7tJcZI

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Todd is making this for future fallout fans. gently caress the current ones.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Todd is making this for future fallout fans. gently caress the current ones.

He is right

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blank Holotapes...

I wonder if we'll be able to make our own fetch quests (with hopefully fixed rewards, because I'd hate to have to get 50 yao guai asses and only get six caps in return)

I'm sure that won't backfire horribly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/bethesdastudios/status/1050058017742495745?s=21

Think this is separate from the beta

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fallout 4 takes 100 gigs to install jesus.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glenn Quebec posted:

Another "fan": this game will completely fail because I won't be able to use my cbbc nude mods which really enhances the gameplay. *Chooses the raider texture with the biggest bush*

Look at this pleb using textured pubic hair and not the craftable merkin pack. I'm not joking either.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Maybe whatever is going on between vault tec and the former government is important enough that the brotherhood's first task is getting to the silos in West Virginia?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
A video game's adherence to "canon lore" is entirely irrelevant to my enjoyment of the video game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

A video game's adherence to "canon lore" is entirely irrelevant to my enjoyment of the video game.

Assasin's Creed should have kept Desmond! :byodood:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bethesda probably shouldn't care because Fallout fans are the worst, I'm just saying the assumption it's not part of the story somehow is a really boring way to think about the game

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Maybe whatever is going on between vault tec and the former government is important enough that the brotherhood's first task is getting to the silos in West Virginia?

Well since they are supposed to be founded on the basis of the remaining mobile power-armored infantry, they could theoretically be securing and checking missile storages/silos which might have not fired or house weird poo poo that was only labeled "missile silo".

They also are the only army branch which is relatively immune to the radiation so this might not even be a huge stretch of the imagination. Does not explain why they went AWOL, though.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Rinkles posted:

Worth noting players can't set the price of items they're selling. It's either a default value or based on some calculation, I don't remember.

I swear in one of the videos OxHorn said players can set their own price for things.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
they can in what appears to be a pc-pc trade window. you see a level 20 guy 'selling' a bunch of stuff to a leveling player for 0 caps in one of the previews.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

they can in what appears to be a pc-pc trade window. you see a level 20 guy 'selling' a bunch of stuff to a leveling player for 0 caps in one of the previews.

So that's as opposed to the automated vendors players can set up?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've never seen the automated vendors, but if they exist, it's different from that, yeah. all i know is i saw some video of a dude being sold a bunch of stimpaks for 0 caps by another player.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Bethesda: check it out coop fallout in West Virginia for some reason

"Fan" of fallout universe: uhh it was established in 1998 that the Eastern seaboard wasn't explored yet as the DC location was the first. If you see this data from an obscure computer log

Yeah what a bunch nerds, expecting the writing to adhere to the most basic of basic story elements and to be somewhat consistent from game to game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Back Hack posted:

Yeah what a bunch nerds, expecting the writing to adhere to the most basic of basic story elements and to be somewhat consistent from game to game.

I agree who gives a poo poo, this one isn't about story telling. There will be other fallouts that adhere more closely to what you're used to.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I'm kind of excited to know more about the story after watching Oxhorn's videos. There is some weird spooky poo poo going down and I want to investigate it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Megazver posted:

/r/fallout: Fallout 76 has retconned-in the Brotherhood of Steel

lol

I bet if Bethesda ever makes a Fallout pre-war prequel set in China, it'll have the Brotherhood of Steel.

This is approximately the ultimate lol.

You wonder why people who are fans of the rest of the series are critical of Bethesda? It's poo poo like this, where they just transparently don't give a gently caress. :lol:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Maybe they were being self conscious with the series when they put this part into fallout 3.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

You wonder why people who are fans of the rest of the series are critical of Bethesda? It's poo poo like this, where they just transparently don't give a gently caress. :lol:

Good thing it doesn't go against established lore.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Listen here you NMA autist, it’s a proven fact that shallow, repetitive gameplay and trite “environmental” storytelling are a much better use of the Fallout series than engaging stories and fun quests

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to kill yet another feral ghoul in yet another abandoned building. If I’m lucky, I might even find two skeletons hugging each other! The only thing that could make me happier is if someone added a pointless multiplayer aspect to this game

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Listen here you NMA autist, it’s a proven fact that shallow, repetitive gameplay and trite “environmental” storytelling are a much better use of the Fallout series than engaging stories and fun quests

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to kill yet another feral ghoul in yet another abandoned building. If I’m lucky, I might even find two skeletons hugging each other! The only thing that could make me happier is if someone added a pointless multiplayer aspect to this game

I know, right? Nothing could be better than artfully placed piles of dirt texture under a fog overlay with someone named 'CUCKSTOMPER76' teabagging the skeletons lovingly embracing on the floor.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

I know, right? Nothing could be better than artfully placed piles of dirt texture under a fog overlay with someone named 'CUCKSTOMPER76' teabagging the skeletons lovingly embracing on the floor.

I don't remember leaking my FO:76 handle :tinfoil:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

caps on caps on caps posted:

All 3d Fallouts had moments where the story got somewhat stupid or broken, but in many cases things also worked out well. New Vegas, in my playthrough, was fantastic. Fallout 4 was a lot of fun also. F3 I think as well. Maybe I dont go out of my way to break the storyline or something, but I thought it was pretty dope.
I do think that ultimately the big and small storylines gave a lot of life and mystery to these games and that was what made it wortwhile to spend 30+ hours playing them.

Fallout 76 will not have these sorts of stories, they will be generated by non-npcs and so it'll basically be a lot of defend, grind, and fetch quests. All interaction will come from other players in pink party hats trading fresh insults with you.
I mean some people explictily enjoy grinding, levelling and fetch quests, as well as fun multiplayer interactions. Don't mean it ain't fun if you enjoy MMORPGs or whatever.

But it won't have the feel, story, mystery or vibe and if you think Fallout ever failed to deliver on those things then you musthave played different games than me
None on this is how 76 will work at all.

You remember Vault 11 in New Vegas? Or any dead vault really. Or the Survivalists logs? Or 90% of Big MT or the Divide?

Almost no NPCs in desolate locales, but absolutely brimming with story and mystery.

Maybe Bethesda won't do as well, but it's not fundamentally un-Fallout to set things up the way they have. I'm really looking forward to it myself.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

honestly this is just making the game sound better

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I don't get why making a fallout game in a different genre is so bad? FO4 came out in 2015, not that long ago.

I'm actually into a rust/days/7 days to die sort of game in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Game looks bad. Not 'this game is a different genre than what I want'. I mean the game just looks really shoddily put together based on everything I've seen. Yuck.