Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Bolow posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesLiamCook/status/1050435216865730561?s=19

How does every day somehow get dumber. Like there has to be some upper limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I thought REI changed their policy because people were doing really stupid poo poo and then replacing their gear, not because people were doing the wear and tear kind of things that the policy was intended for.

edit: and yeah, Craftman's replacement policy was entirely why a lot of contractors used them over everyone else.

Craftsman changing the policy was part of the short term gains mindset that began the slow downward spiral as they lost customers like my dad who regularly spent thousands of dollars on craftsman poo poo over the years per year to never setting foot in the store again.

It was absolutely a loss leader to get folks like him in the store, in exchange for the manufacturing cost of a now broken screwdriver.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Most of my tools are craftsman b/c when I was in A&P school they still had the no questions asked return policy. Only thing anyone ever told me was ‘say you broke it working on a car, if you say you were working on a plane they won’t replace it.’ They’re fine for what they are. Certainly not Snap On quality but also nowhere near Snap On price

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tyndall AFB looks to be nearly completely destroyed, from the couple of videos I've seen. Nobody I know there has been allowed back in the area, but they should start filtering back in over the next few days. Tyndall is home to F-22 pilot training, Air Battle Manager training (AWACS, JSTARS, and CRC), CONR (one of NORAD's 3 regions, the others being Canada and Alaska), 1st Air Force, which is basically the agency that controls CONUS air defense and Op Noble Eagle, and the 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group (they own a lot of the drone QF-16 missions used to test missiles and radars).

I'm not entirely sure they're going to rebuild. Even if they do, all of this stuff is loving WRECKED. We're talking years of reconstruction. All of the aircraft shelters are gone. All the hangars I've seen are seriously damaged; one of the videos shows vehicles, QF-16s, and Mu-2s crammed into hangars that partially collapsed on them. The F-22 pipeline can be shifted elsewhere during reconstruction; it's not ideal and it's going to be challenging just because there's not a lot of available airspace for that anywhere else, but the ABM pipeline is going to be insane to stitch together anywhere else. Not much of a choice though, the AF is already seriously hurting from gross mismanagement several years ago that has led to a shortage of several hundred already; shutting down for a year or more would be crippling, like stop-loss levels of bad. CONR and 1AF can relocate relatively easily, most of their work is administrative and the actual operational folks can relocate to EADS in NY, or a handful of other places. They'll have a small footprint, so it shouldn't be too bad. The WEG...I dunno. They can probably do a fair amount of their work out of Eglin, but not everything just because the instrumentation was specifically at Tyndall and in the nearby airspaces.

This is pretty bad.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

That’s gonna be one hell of a police call.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So does this mean we should expect a Russian first strike from subs on the east coast since we can't see it coming? :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

my kinda ape posted:

So does this mean we should expect a Russian first strike from subs on the east coast since we can't see it coming? :v:

We'll probably still see it, but coordinating a response will be challenging.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Tom Clancy is about to burst out of his grave.

TOM CLANCY'S HURRICANE FORCE

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The DoD saying that climate change was a threat to national security is still bullshit! Fake things can't be threats!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

The DoD saying that climate change was a threat to national security is still bullshit! Fake things can't be threats!

Uh yeah about that, someone please tell me that this guy is a hyperbolic blowhard because god drat this will get real ugly :stare:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/un-says-climate-genocide-coming-but-its-worse-than-that.html

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Uh yeah about that, someone please tell me that this guy is a hyperbolic blowhard because god drat this will get real ugly :stare:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/un-says-climate-genocide-coming-but-its-worse-than-that.html

Sounds about right from everything I've been reading. I am admittedly not a climatologist or anything, but basically every major source of information that isn't Fox propaganda or some poo poo is saying stuff along the same lines. Marshall Plan for the entire planet or start figuring out what happens with billions dead.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

Sounds about right from everything I've been reading. I am admittedly not a climatologist or anything, but basically every major source of information that isn't Fox propaganda or some poo poo is saying stuff along the same lines. Marshall Plan for the entire planet or start figuring out what happens with billions dead.

(it'll be billions dead and then the Marshall Plan)

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

They could shift a lot of it to Nellis, too. At least temporarily. There's already a large F22 footprint, and they have the space for other aircraft to support ABM training. Who knows, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Thanks I almost forgot that the DoD was one of the voices of reason trying to describe the strategic impacts of climate change

gently caress me

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

They could shift a lot of it to Nellis, too. At least temporarily. There's already a large F22 footprint, and they have the space for other aircraft to support ABM training. Who knows, though.

This is being discussed, but it's a short-term sporadic bandaid at best. There's neither airspace, aircraft, or time during the day to really do it. The NTTR is being used almost constantly, often with multiple missions in different areas at the same time. I had no idea until I became a piece of this machine. ABM students simply can't control most of it either...it's air-to-surface attacks, Weapons School sorties (god help the WUGs flying), or stuff like that. Some stuff would work, and could probably be scheduled in between WS and Flag events, but it wouldn't be the daily access to missions a pipeline needs. But the Raptor students would have to fight for regular flights; they can do their work at a lot of other places with less hassle.

I'm not sure what kind of control facilities Holloman has, if any, but that would be one of the first things I'd look at. It can handle the F-22s, and it's got a decent airspace.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 12, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I have brought that up only to be told that the report was a result of Obama's influence.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

This is being discussed, but it's a short-term sporadic bandaid at best. There's neither airspace, aircraft, or time during the day to really do it. The NTTR is being used almost constantly, often with multiple missions in different areas at the same time. I had no idea until I became a piece of this machine. ABM students simply can't control most of it either...it's air-to-surface attacks, Weapons School sorties (god help the WUGs flying), or stuff like that. Some stuff would work, and could probably be scheduled in between WS and Flag events, but it wouldn't be the daily access to missions a pipeline needs. But the Raptor students would have to fight for regular flights; they can do their work at a lot of other places with less hassle.

I'm not sure what kind of control facilities Holloman has, if any, but that would be one of the first things I'd look at. It can handle the F-22s, and it's got a decent airspace.

Oh, I know. I worked in scheduling for 3 of my years at the helo unit. And by that I mean I went to those godforsaken monthly range planning and allocation meetings. It was abysmal.

Like I said, it could work temporarily. But yes it would drastically affect all other training occurring there as well.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
That storm hauled rear end from one coast to the other.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The G8 nations agree to suspend arms research and dedicate a full 10% of their GDP on several Manhattan Project style operations. 100% of Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, and Raytheon's top engineers and project managers are employed to develop fast replicating carbon consuming algae.

The city of Columbus Ohio is seized to accommodate this new workforce's housing and laboratory needs. The data resulting from these experiments is freely exchanged.

The Senate votes 97-3 to levy a 10% VAT in order to irrigate the Sahara and grow carbon storing eucalyptus trees. President John Kasich calls this a great day for the human race.

This could all happen, but it won't, because loving Fox News and Facebook will convince 40 percent of the world that climate change is fake because it still snows sometimes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Read Thomas Homer-Dixon for some enlightening and scary stuff about how environmental scarcity influences conflict, and some Robert Kaplan on why geography still matters. Put the two together to find out why the article you posted is scratching a fingernail’s depth on how bad it’s going to be, likely within the end or near end of our lifetimes (assuming that most of GIP is between 26-40 or so.)

I don’t really want to have kids because I don’t want to leave this world to them, knowing what’s likely coming.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we found him, the one peep who still likes kasich

or it's john himself

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Godholio posted:

Tyndall AFB looks to be nearly completely destroyed, from the couple of videos I've seen. Nobody I know there has been allowed back in the area, but they should start filtering back in over the next few days. Tyndall is home to F-22 pilot training, Air Battle Manager training (AWACS, JSTARS, and CRC), CONR (one of NORAD's 3 regions, the others being Canada and Alaska), 1st Air Force, which is basically the agency that controls CONUS air defense and Op Noble Eagle, and the 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group (they own a lot of the drone QF-16 missions used to test missiles and radars).

I'm not entirely sure they're going to rebuild. Even if they do, all of this stuff is loving WRECKED. We're talking years of reconstruction. All of the aircraft shelters are gone. All the hangars I've seen are seriously damaged; one of the videos shows vehicles, QF-16s, and Mu-2s crammed into hangars that partially collapsed on them. The F-22 pipeline can be shifted elsewhere during reconstruction; it's not ideal and it's going to be challenging just because there's not a lot of available airspace for that anywhere else, but the ABM pipeline is going to be insane to stitch together anywhere else. Not much of a choice though, the AF is already seriously hurting from gross mismanagement several years ago that has led to a shortage of several hundred already; shutting down for a year or more would be crippling, like stop-loss levels of bad. CONR and 1AF can relocate relatively easily, most of their work is administrative and the actual operational folks can relocate to EADS in NY, or a handful of other places. They'll have a small footprint, so it shouldn't be too bad. The WEG...I dunno. They can probably do a fair amount of their work out of Eglin, but not everything just because the instrumentation was specifically at Tyndall and in the nearby airspaces.

This is pretty bad.

My brother had just been transferred there under a hardship for his wife's family, wonder what's going to happen to that now. Actually, have we ever had a military base completely wiped out like this? Even pearl harbor was at least partially functional after the attack, wasn't it? Cobra Commander's weather dominator works after all.

e: maybe Hugo back in 89, I guess

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 12, 2018

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we found him, the one peep who still likes kasich

or it's john himself

No, this is Kasich's account https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=220106

E: VVVVV Yeah, probably. They're a lovely enough poster anyway.

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 12, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I think it's more likely to be this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t really want to have kids because I don’t want to leave this world to them, knowing what’s likely coming.

Seeing how we'll be living in a The Road type scenario within a couple of decades from now, yeah I'm pretty happy I don't have kids.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Read Thomas Homer-Dixon for some enlightening and scary stuff about how environmental scarcity influences conflict, and some Robert Kaplan on why geography still matters. Put the two together to find out why the article you posted is scratching a fingernail’s depth on how bad it’s going to be, likely within the end or near end of our lifetimes (assuming that most of GIP is between 26-40 or so.)

And this is how I developed crippling panic attacks! Seriously, you get this moment as a parent that makes you go "aw gently caress! I hosed it. I hosed up!" In part, thats true.

Ive been slowly getting better by forcing myself to be active in my choices for climate change and how to educate my kids about it. I also read good articles like how someone figured out how to turn carbon scrubbing into a fuel for cars. Not make believe poo poo but real stuff.

2040 is close. But look at what happened in 20 loving years. What were you doing 1998? Remember phones with cords? At home? My son figured out how to change videos on the ipad at just under a year old. We have the information generation starting to take place. We may have to make pennance for the sins of our fathers and their fathers, but gently caress off if you dont think Im not gonna try. Life is a gift, and giving it to someone helped turn my life around.

I have a photo piece I want to pitch to a news agency at some point to highlight climate change. Until then, Ill be vocal and vote. Voting is how we do this. Work smarter, not harder.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Sacrist65 posted:

The G8 nations agree to suspend arms research and dedicate a full 10% of their GDP on several Manhattan Project style operations. 100% of Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, and Raytheon's top engineers and project managers are employed to develop fast replicating carbon consuming algae.

The city of Columbus Ohio is seized to accommodate this new workforce's housing and laboratory needs. The data resulting from these experiments is freely exchanged.

The Senate votes 97-3 to levy a 10% VAT in order to irrigate the Sahara and grow carbon storing eucalyptus trees. President John Kasich calls this a great day for the human race.

This could all happen, but it won't, because loving Fox News and Facebook will convince 40 percent of the world that climate change is fake because it still snows sometimes.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that you desire president John Kasich or aerospace and mechanical engineers trying to do biology.

Maybe we can contract Monsanto to build a space station for us all to live on.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

my kinda ape posted:

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that you desire president John Kasich or aerospace and mechanical engineers trying to do biology.

nah, that poo poo is pretty close to chemical engineering most of the time, it's deffo the prez kasich thing there

it should be prez ocasio-cortez

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

My brother had just been transferred there under a hardship for his wife's family, wonder what's going to happen to that now. Actually, have we ever had a military base completely wiped out like this? Even pearl harbor was at least partially functional after the attack, wasn't it? Cobra Commander's weather dominator works after all.

e: maybe Hugo back in 89, I guess

Homestead AFB in 1992 after hurricane Andrew. Took years to rebuild, and during the BRAC they sold off half the property and made it an air reserve base.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

NAS Pensacola was under like 12ft of water or some poo poo in 2004 from Ivan iirc? The SSgt in charge of our barracks had a picture of him in a kayak rowing around on the 2nd floor of the building we were in

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

my kinda ape posted:

Allegedly they really did honor the "lifetime warranty" thing really well in the past. My grandpa was telling me about how he would buy busted up Craftsman stuff at garage sales and go exchange it for new tools and they'd do it no questions asked.

Target used to be all about that.. unlimited return policy.. forever, and expected vendors to eat the return costs or credit them.

And that lasted until 1989-1990 or so. Nintendo was the first vendor that told them to go gently caress themselves over the idea of trading in "returned" NES systems for a new SNES. There's a good story about that in the Console Wars book a few years back.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bolow posted:

NAS Pensacola was under like 12ft of water or some poo poo in 2004 from Ivan iirc? The SSgt in charge of our barracks had a picture of him in a kayak rowing around on the 2nd floor of the building we were in

Ivan hosed the town I lived in and was without power for 3 weeks. I lived close to Eglin and Pensacola so I believe it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Soulex posted:

Ivan hosed the town I lived in and was without power for 3 weeks. I lived close to Eglin and Pensacola so I believe it.

Oh god please tell me we're not eskimo bros

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/bismarck-police-to-bring-first-tactical-intervention-vehicle-to-north-dakota/1511086979

Lmao

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh god please tell me we're not eskimo bros

Its possible. You tromp around Crestview much?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This looks like some crazy prototype armored vehicle from the 1920s that only got tested because the inventor was a congressman's brother-in-law or something.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sometimes ya gotta remove a tree

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This looks like some crazy prototype armored vehicle from the 1920s that only got tested because the inventor was a congressman's brother-in-law or something.
Close, it was 1937:

The design has also degenerated backwards since then and will now be de-crewed if it hits a bump in the road.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

China’s trade surplus with the U.S. hit a record $34.1 billion in September amid trade war

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.eeb80abf3c3b

quote:

BEIJING — China’s trade surplus with the United States hit a record $34.1 billion last month, according to official figures released in Beijing on Friday, news that is likely to further inflame the trade dispute with the United States.

The increase was driven by a 13 percent increase in Chinese exports to the United States in September, according to customs office data. This came despite the Trump administration slapping tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods in the middle of the month, which prompted Beijing to retaliate with tariffs on $60 billion worth of American goods.

This appears to have had some impact on Chinese imports of American products, which dropped by 9 percent last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I just can't handle this winning.
Premarket is indicating another day of losses across most major US indices, what a likely is a catch-up to the performance of other world markets over the summe
caveat- I know about the 300pt early indicator but that means dick. You look at protective puts and spreads being put out by traders etc.

E, e: it's still likely to not be a recession, algorithms and moronic traders are overreacting to the likely end of unlimited credit and cheap energy.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 12, 2018

• Locked thread