Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

turn off the TV posted:

So I guess we have lords that specialize in zombie pirates, robot pirates, human/crab pirates and ghost pirates.

Which is all the important kinds of pirates covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I really dig her. GW giving CA this amount of freedom can only lead to interesting things.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe she’ll take some pressure off Morathi’s start.

Or make Morathi even harder

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cathay confirmed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SteelMentor posted:

I really dig her. GW giving CA this amount of freedom can only lead to interesting things.

The best thing that has ever happened to Warhammer Fantasy is GW themselves ceasing to give a poo poo about it, I think.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Excuse me, they’re *damned* knights.

Also, holy poo poo is her start going to be nasty, she’s jammed in between the Dark Elves and Lizards with no real safe place to expand. Actually, in ME, it looks like she might actually start directly adjacent to Mazdamundi?

Yeah, her starting position is right in the middle of Mazdamundi/Morathi/Khatep Helldome. This will be interesting for all LLs involved, because each of them is already plagued by being too close to at least one other LL and having no easy way to expand, even without ghost pirate diva lady being dropped right in the middle.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

I like her, she fits aesthetically and that's what matters.

I like her, but she's probably going to be the last of the new LLs that I play with. The other three starts look like they're much more interesting, especially since I've already done a Morathi and Mazdamundi campaign. On the other hand, this makes me think that Araby is definitely the next DLC, because they stayed decently far away from crowding that area more than it already is.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Have we seen a Rotting Leviathan yet? Like, how it looks?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

peer posted:

Have we seen a Rotting Leviathan yet? Like, how it looks?

I think those are the extra big crabs, with rotting prometheans being the large-cav sized crab.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Anno posted:

I think those are the extra big crabs, with rotting prometheans being the large-cav sized crab.

ooohhh. Fair enough

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Teclis' start will likely be even harder/more annoying once the DLC is out.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
In retrospect it being an Ursula-esque banshee OC was by far the most obvious solution and I feel a bit silly for speculating otherwise.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 12, 2018

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Wait a minute... Then what was that leaked faction symbol about?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The nerd response is as salty as you’d expect, between MY CANON and SHES FAT it’s a banquet of tears.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hail the mighty, she's a-rising from the deep indeed!!!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wouldn't surprise me if the next DLC is a combined southern realms/araby pack honestly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
CA finally got on top of those leaks by faking people out. They have learned from Sun Tzu's Art of War

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’m hoping for some sort of Banshee/Siren/Ghost lady pirate, an ethereal LL would be interesting

hell yeah, called it

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
This game looks cool as poo poo, but why is it/everything around it so expensive? It looks like having the first game adds a ton of poo poo too, so it's like 200 euro for the whole package at the moment. Is there a better way to get this, some kind of bundle somewhere, anything at all?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Someone on the official forum posted that it's a shame Vangheist (the ghost pirate) isn't in the game and a CA rep responded 'Who says he's not?'. So I guess that confirms him as a 'semi-legendary' tech tree lord.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, it's definitely a whole lot to get everything. They picked a great universe to use, since paying like 20 bucks for a new army is hilariously cheap to people who used to pay for the figurines.
Anywho, they do do a pretty good job of introducing the new factions, because even if you don't own the DLC, you can still play against them.
So, if you're on a limited budget, I'd buy either Warhammer 1 or 2, depending on whether you prefer playing with Empire, Undead, Orcs and Dwarves, or prefer Skaven, High/Dark Elves, or Lizardmen.
Then, as you play, you'll encounter new factions. If you think you want to try as them, buy them. But it's not necessary to do at the outset. They have steam sales and stuff as well, so you can always just wait for them and then pick up the DLC for a bit of a discount.

The game is really, really good though. I haven't played any of the other Total Wars, but this is one of the best games I've played.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
So for the four Vampire Pirate LL's, we have:

Luther Harkon, who has a large focus on a zombie gunline and is anti-magic;

Noctilus, who has bonuses for monstrous units, especially Necrofex Colossi;

Aranessa Saltspite, the non-vampire pirate who has human units and a love for giant crabs;

and finally Cylostra Direfin, who can make bloated corpses and syreens more resilient, and can summon the Damned Knights Errant.

I think I'll start as Noctilus because of his central starting position, and also because the walking ships with cannon arms look like fun. But all four Legendary Lords seem to have their own playstyle and look like fun, so I'm really excited for this DLC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

why ghost lady fat

Anno
May 10, 2017

Elswyyr posted:

This game looks cool as poo poo, but why is it/everything around it so expensive? It looks like having the first game adds a ton of poo poo too, so it's like 200 euro for the whole package at the moment. Is there a better way to get this, some kind of bundle somewhere, anything at all?

Takes a lot of work, especially in the art, to make all the cool poo poo. You don’t really need to purchase the DLC unless it’s a faction you want to play as. They’ll be in the game as AI to play against just in the base game. So you can start with that and just add on what you want as sales come around. TWW1 is usually available for 75% off during sales, too.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anno posted:

Takes a lot of work, especially in the art, to make all the cool poo poo. You don’t really need to purchase the DLC unless it’s a faction you want to play as. They’ll be in the game as AI to play against just in the base game. So you can start with that and just add on what you want as sales come around. TWW1 is usually available for 75% off during sales, too.

And then you see all the sync kill animations and you start throwing :20bux: at your screen while you :flashfap:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bear in mind it takes days to complete a single campaign, each race has at least two Legendary Lords (and all WH2 races have their Lords starting in different places), and the base games come with four races each. Pick up the DLC when you get interested in a playstyle or if you want to expand your experience with a race you like; enjoy murdering DLC races in the meantime.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, I can't stress how good this game is to me. At this point, I grab the DLC as soon as it comes on sale. I haven't regretted it once.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wonder how viable a full-pirate run will be. No conquest, just sacking coastal settlements and installing hidden coves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TW forums report: entire front page of angry about woman in video game why not hot

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, I can't stress how good this game is to me. At this point, I grab the DLC as soon as it comes on sale. I haven't regretted it once.

I regret them adding wood elves
gently caress those guys

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mordja posted:

I wonder how viable a full-pirate run will be. No conquest, just sacking coastal settlements and installing hidden coves.

It better be 100% viable!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

I guess if you are a latecomer, the total cost might be high. But if one have bought the DLCs and the games as they came out, it is hard to say that the cost have been prohibitive. A dlc for 10-20 euro is really nothing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope Sartosa and the Graveyard are ten-slot cities, otherwise it will be rough having your base of operations as a single eight slots with no adjacent towns.

Also re: DLC talk. I will repeat the call to get either the first or the second game depending on which one has factions you think you'll like best. If you enjoy it you will have more than enough content to tide you over until the next sale in December, when you should pick up any factions you can see yourself playing in the next two or three months.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Is Cylostra a completely new character? Maybe I'm too attached to my lore, but slightly disappointed they didn't go with Vangheist/Skretch.

That said, I really dig her design and mechanics. I might play her first, but after doing a Tretch campaign, her starting position is pretty unappealing to me.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Is Cylostra a completely new character? Maybe I'm too attached to my lore, but slightly disappointed they didn't go with Vangheist/Skretch.

I mean Vangheist is literally Cylostra but more boring. Being a ghost pirate is the only thing he has going for him.

I agree about Skretch though.

EDIT: Also I just suddenly realized that Warhammer 2 finally achieved a point where being just a ghost pirate is too tame and boring. :allears:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 12, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

TW forums report: entire front page of angry about woman in video game why not hot

The side saddling issue all over again.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i did not expect to be so right that it would be grimdark ursula to go with grimdark little mermaid

Anno
May 10, 2017

That said, I really dig her design and mechanics. I might play her first, but after doing a Tretch campaign, her starting position is pretty unappealing to me.

CA has done some hinting that Vangheist is still in the game. I assume as part of this bullet point “Unique tech tree unlocking four unique Vampire Coast Lords”. So who knows what that could mean.

This lady seems more fun than just another pirate guy but a ghost. Plus having a pure caster LL in there gives some nice variety. Also it pisses off stupid internetsmen for good measure.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vangheist is confirmed to show up as a character, don’t worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anno posted:

Also it pisses off stupid internetsmen for good measure.

I'm almost certain that CA knows that this pisses off a small, vocal part of their user base and as such enjoys toying with them. I love it.