Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this actually sounds amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to a USGamer preview, the Ghost Coin is the only instance-crossing Ghost Item so far, but they're looking into other ones. I suspect it's a gentle balance to strike between "screwing with the other player" and "throwing them into an endless gunfight they can't escape"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The ghost coin is brilliant

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ok, I wasn't quite convinced at first but Ghost Mode is real cool.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ghost mode sounds incredible and I never knew how much I wanted silly online modes in Hitman until now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Deploying transdimensional rubber ducky

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This looks awesome.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think it will be quite the mad dash that it might appear to be, depending on where the random targets spawn. The trailer and writeup make abundantly clear that the kills must be stealthy and the body cannot be found right away, which means if there's a target in a public area it becomes necessary to either move them or move whoever might see you kill them; if you get itchy and jump on the kill too soon, you'll have a witnessed kill and lose the point, even if your opponent was going more slowly.

I expect there'll be a balance between moving as quickly as possible and being methodical, knowing an area well, knowing where to find items to make kills (since the ghost crates can't be relied upon), and possibly interfering with your opponent in some fashion. That said, it will hugely advantage speedrunners as this mode is basically made for the people who know exactly which wall shots to make to turn half a level's guards around as they dash past.

EDIT: Though that said, starting with no equipment is a good equalizer as it means no instant cheap multi-coin tricks, no easy suppressed gunshots for distraction purposes, it will be all about execution and map knowledge which is great.

EDIT EDIT: You know, the kill only has to be unwitnessed and the body not found right away. There's no rule that your run has to actually be Silent Assassin or anything, provided you're not killing anyone. Panic strats and deliberately triggering combat to lure guards out of the target area and then double back to kill the target unseen could very well be viable in this mode.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 12, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

100 Agent 47s jump from a plane onto Sapienza.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Funky Valentine posted:

100 Agent 47s jump from a plane onto Sapienza.

The plumbers are about to have the worst day of their lives.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Nakar posted:

knowing where to find items to make kills (since the ghost crates can't be relied upon)

Actually you will need to rely upon them. I believe that all regular items throughout the map are removed in Ghost Mode. The only things available is what are in the crates. Otherwise, why even have the crates when you can just use predicable kill techniques every time?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Another one from giantbomb on the ghost mode:

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-hitman-2-ghost-mode-10122018/2300-13663/

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Now I want 32 player ghost-multiplayer with this.

Imagine 32 players starting Paris together. You can see the others, but you can't interact. And add a modifier where there is a x/y chance that when another player knocks out a NPC and hides the body, that NPC disappear from your instance. So it's a race for the good disguises.

So 100 Mr. 48s parachute onto an island...

Edit: goddamn it Funky.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How are game journalists so bad at games?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

WindyMan posted:

Actually you will need to rely upon them. I believe that all regular items throughout the map are removed in Ghost Mode. The only things available is what are in the crates. Otherwise, why even have the crates when you can just use predicable kill techniques every time?
Guards still drop guns. That's all I need most of the time (no, not for the reason you may be thinking).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghost Mode sounds like a fantastic addition that I would never actually touch myself (so there'll probably be an achievement for it) - I really enjoy taking my time in Hitman levels and don't like the idea of time pressure/having to deal with another player even if they aren't able to directly interact with me. Can't deny that it is a cool as hell concept though and I'm sure plenty of people are going to love it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

KillHour posted:

How are game journalists so bad at games?

Dan is a league all his own when it comes to basic idiocy.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Fuego Fish posted:

I was just making a dumb joke.

In any case, the McElroys have (in addition to many podcasts) a bunch of youtube series, a reasonably solid presence on twitter, a comic book, and a few other things. They're pretty cool people and you're really doing yourself a disservice if you're actively avoiding them.
Thanks for the explanation.

Unlucky7 posted:

I have not played much of the past titles except for a little bit of Blood Money (The tutorial level...woof), but from Hitman 2016, I think he means that despite its own funhouse mirror of society, it posits that humanity is generally good and the people you are going after are for the most part upper crust assholes that deserve to be drowned in a toilet filled with their own vomit.
O.K. that makes sense, thanks.

I'm also hyped for ghost mode.

It would also be great if we could watch the other person's run afterwards.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

We're talking about a man who tried to cook shells because he thought that's what egg whites were.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So, degenerate Ghost Mode strategy observation: Killing a non-target loses you a point to penalize rampaging. But you can't go negative on points, and you start with zero. So just slaughter as much of the level as you can while conceding the first point to your opponent, and if you can clear enough space out you get free kills on the respawned target because no one can witness the kills if no one is alive to witness them! :eng101:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm not really sure about the announcer voice they've got for Ghost Mode. It should be Diana. Preferably adopting the tone you take when telling a spooky ghost story on Halloween.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Looks like a neat add-in but not sure if I'll ever bother with it. I'd love a Blacklist style co-op mode (there's still time before launch??) but I'm not playing Hitman to race around the map trying to get to the targets as fast as possible.

I doubt they'll get a proper co-op mode in Hitman 2 before launch, but with the two co-op characters included in the sniper challenge they might be dabbling with the idea of patching it in later. It seems weird to specifically introduce two unique non-47 playable characters in a random side thing if they weren't planning on re-using them again later.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Funky Valentine posted:

Mantis42 posted:

We're talking about a man who tried to cook shells because he thought that's what egg whites were.

…and who during their No Man's Sky QL asked “are birds mammals?”

Veotax
May 16, 2006

And during E3 was shocked to learn that pirates stole stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm just hyped for a mode that challenges you on stuff that's both not prescripted and changes on the fly; hitman does get kinda stale for a while once you git gud at it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Veotax posted:

This is starting to sound like a person who would win a wedding at Taco Bell.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 13, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Veotax posted:

Does he wear a straw hat

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

This is starting to sound like a person who would win a wedding at Taco Bell.

I still cannot loving believe a sane human being decided to marry Dan Ryckert. It’s every single “dumb and ugly guy with inexplicably attractive wife” sitcom come to life.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, he is a successful author. It's the inside that counts you know, even if that inside might be a cluttered attic.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

AceOfFlames posted:

I still cannot loving believe a sane human being decided to marry Dan Ryckert. It’s every single “dumb and ugly guy with inexplicably attractive wife” sitcom come to life.

Ryckert's written books, had a successful career, regularly does all kinds of cool and weird stuff most of us can only dream of and by all accounts makes quite a bit of money. And despite suffering from some pretty bad anxiety, he puts himself out there all the time.

His knowledge of some everyday things is obviously a bit lacking but let's not kid ourselves here, in the grander scale of things most of the guy's life decisions are a hell of a lot better and smarter than almost anyone's here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kanfy posted:

Ryckert's written books, had a successful career, regularly does all kinds of cool and weird stuff most of us can only dream of and by all accounts makes quite a bit of money. And despite suffering from some pretty bad anxiety, he puts himself out there all the time.

His knowledge of some everyday things is obviously a bit lacking but let's not kid ourselves here, in the grander scale of things most of the guy's life decisions are a hell of a lot better and smarter than almost anyone's here.

So he's a sitcom dad

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The time window function concerns me, as it seems like getting the first kill at any decent range becomes all-powerful, and order of kills becomes determined by first killer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You'd have to deal with the guards though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, if the kill is witnessed than you don't get a point. A sniper rifle or something is only going to work if there is no one around the target.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The targets seem scripted to move between 3-4 positions and in at least one they isolate themselves from everyone except their bodyguard. In those isolated locations, getting a quick kill will be highly advantageous, but from the videos I've seen the targets rarely if ever start in the isolated parts of their routine. You might wait with a sniper rifle or something only to lose the point because your opponent pulled off a distraction play that lets them take the target down at a less "free" time, giving you no good shot on them.

That said, guard disguises (for open carrying of weapons such as sniper rifles) and suppressed guns (for bullet distractions) do seem like they're going to be incredibly powerful in this mode.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just beat all the base missions of Hitman Season one.

The game started off pretty strong and ended strong with Hokkaido, but a lot of stuff in the middle was pretty weak. I think Marrakesh is my least favorite map, and Paris might still be my favorite. Although the Yoga and Heart kills on Hokkaido are pretty brutal and somewhat funny.

I guess I should go back and play through with the alternate starting positions and starting disguises since I think they will go a long way to making a lot of the missions more enjoyable to play.

Also, the saving and loading in this game is god awful.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blackguy32 posted:

Also, the saving and loading in this game is god awful.
I really hope they improve this for 2, but the preview builds people have been playing seem about on par or potentially worse (it's hard to say since sometimes people are playing on an Xbox and sometimes on PC). It's kind of okay on a PC but playing it on console the load times are just unacceptable.

That said, trying to imagine what goes into a Hitman save/load process is pretty crazy. I've had some very weird things happen to saves after playing a level long enough.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I had trouble with loading saves after the slurry pit kill in Colorado since the body gets spotted after reloading.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
At least give me a quick save button on the controller. Something I can use so that I don't have to stop gameplay to load up the save game menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blackguy32 posted:

At least give me a quick save button on the controller. Something I can use so that I don't have to stop gameplay to load up the save game menu.
Agreed, it'd be really nice to have a quicksave and I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist even on PC. I guess they assume the autosaves cover it, but they really don't.