Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The recent clueless dark souls posts in this thread kinda further cement my suspicions that some people who are primarily Nintendo gamers are a decade behind the curve.
I don't know how you can be the sort of person who posts on a games thread on a forum like SA and not have had some sort of idea how dark souls works. It came out nearly a decade ago!

I don't see why that comes as a surprise. I'm definitely in the camp that didn't get a console since the 360/Wii generation. I also barely got a lot of traction out of my 360 at that since I got it near the end of the cycle and moved overseas soon after. At that point I was finally completely living on my own and video games were not a luxury I could easily own (having started grad school).

Like many people I skipped out on a Wii U because it looked dumb but honestly I just never had enough money to own both a TV and a console (we only recently got a projector so I can play docked which is fun). The price tags on the XBone and PS4 were insanely high, even if I could have afforded to put aside 50 euro a month to save up, which I couldn't it would've taken me a good year to have enough to buy the system with a couple of good games (and another year to afford a TV).

I had Steam, but having a Macbook I was limited to the games offered on that, which was fine, there are plenty, and I would eventually get a New 3DS when that was announced and released once I finally had some proper financial independence.

The Switch I would've gotten anyway, but it was gifted to me (saving 50e a month was my plan, and I could finally afford to do so). And it's the first proper console I've owned in well over a decade. So imagine all the games that came out in between those years. I have no idea what they are, especially since I stopped following gaming news. I didn't subscribe to any magazines and it's not the content I looked on online, why would I when I can't buy any of it? I imagine a lot of people are in the same boat.

I suppose I'm a fairly exclusive Nintendo customer, having ran the gamut of SNES, N64, GC, and Wii always getting them at the end of their cycles with the GC being the exception. The systems were just generally cheaper for my parents and I eventually grew to like their games specifically. Again, not owning a TV from college onwards became a huge obstacle. I could hook things up to my room mates TV but once I moved overseas and got my own place it wasn't going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's slime me!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Neat, what's her Stand?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Danmaku Unlimited 3 may get me to preorder the FlipGrip. Super pretty.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there anything Nintendo fans won't masturbate over?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

psylent posted:

:ck5:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

psylent posted:

Is there anything Nintendo fans people won't masturbate over?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Spellman posted:

8 Gamecube Controller Smash will soon be possible

https://store.powera.com/Browse/CONSWITCH

So this was a ways back, but do we know if these have analog triggers, and if they have clickable thumbsticks? I also want to know where they'll be sold in Canada, but lol no one cares about the Canadian market.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Modus Pwnens posted:

Neat, what's her Stand?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Goo goo gaga

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fair point.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

So this was a ways back, but do we know if these have analog triggers, and if they have clickable thumbsticks? I also want to know where they'll be sold in Canada, but lol no one cares about the Canadian market.

Clickable sticks aren't listed on their site, and not sure about the triggers

https://www.powera.com/us/gamecube/#see-specs

You can pre-order them here if you're Canadian

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

psylent posted:

Are you new to the internet or something

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

psylent posted:

Mega64 posted:

Are you new to the internet or something

Don't stop, guys. I'm almost there...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’m just saying, Odyssey’s only flaw was that there was no weapon degradation for Cappy. If you nad to think about how to use him and hunt for new Cappies then the game would be perfect.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Arbitrary Number posted:

If you play twewy with joycons you can turn on coop mode and control one character per joycon. It's hard to do both at once, which approximates the original pretty well imo, but it wasn't meant for this so it feels dumb. The joycons have to be detached though so it doesn't work in handheld mode.

If only the joycon controls were more accurate. I do a swipe and return my hand to the same position and the cursor does not end up where it started. Makes slashing enemies difficult.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You just stay seated at a bonfire if you want to walk away and not worry about getting invaded (pvp) in dark souls. Or if not connected to the internet just stand wherever you are, provided there are not enemies in sight. It’s ok.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zas posted:

here are all of tim rogers videos about the nintendo switch or games on in the nintendo switch.

don't ask why i have links to all of them handy, i have a good reason. anyway

I don't remember why this came up in the thread, but I actually watched all of these while grading papers and they're very enjoyable and interesting. Any other people like this worth listening to?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't remember why this came up in the thread, but I actually watched all of these while grading papers and they're very enjoyable and interesting. Any other people like this worth listening to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just got a Switch, and I'm sold on it pretty hard. Breath of the Wild is spectacular, and my wife and I have been playing the hell out of MarioKart 8.

My only complaint is that I bought Fire Emblem Warriors thinking it was the new Fire Emblem game, but it's...not. I don't hate it, but it's not what I was wanting.

I'm going to Japan next week, and for the first time in years, I might not bring my 3DS because I'll be bringing the Switch.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FastestGunAlive posted:

You just stay seated at a bonfire if you want to walk away and not worry about getting invaded (pvp) in dark souls. Or if not connected to the internet just stand wherever you are, provided there are not enemies in sight. It’s ok.

God this is really taking me back. I had the first DS a decade ago, never got more than a third of the way through it but I was addicted.

I've forgotten almost everything about it by now, but I basically bought a Switch for this game.

Looking forward to the DS posts in here after release...from newbies and old hands, I'm sure.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Roadie posted:

So it turns out Tricky Towers is the Tetris game I've wanted since forever.

It is a very good game imo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Al Borland Corpse posted:

That just really sounds like a ton of bullshit. I just want to play a single player game and pause like a normal person. It sounds like it just doesn't respect my time or the fact that the player may have life interruptions

I’ll probably pass on it as well for now. As the parent of a toddler, any game I can’t pause at a moment’s notice for an indefinite period of time is a no-go.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

mdemone posted:

God this is really taking me back. I had the first DS a decade ago, never got more than a third of the way through it but I was addicted.

I've forgotten almost everything about it by now, but I basically bought a Switch for this game.

Looking forward to the DS posts in here after release...from newbies and old hands, I'm sure.

I’m so bad I’ve never beaten any of them because I end up losing interest. The atmosphere and world design were always the appeal for me. The first one I played almost entirely offline because I was living in a hotel at that time and the internet was too slow for gaming. Really relied a lot on sunbro in that game. When 2 came out and I played online from the get go it was such a different experience.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yeah, enemies don't really roam around in Dark Souls so unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine.

If you are in the middle of combat then... well that's just Dark Souls :v: It's a conscious decision to not let players pause during combat (look at stuff like Skyrim or BotW for why you'd want to avoid that) but also kind of a technical limitation because of the online aspect. With how multiplayer works in Dark Souls, pausing simply wouldn't work. You could always get good at save&quitting though, it'll put you back exactly where you were (or in the case of boss battles, outside the boss arena).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

DO NOT loving LISTEN TO THEM

I was playing dark souls 1 on pc. I got a bunch of steam messages from a friend, and when I reached an area with no monsters or visible danger I shift-tabbed to answer his question.

8 seconds later, a monster i had never seen before hit me with a permanent-duration attack that reduced my maximum health by 50%

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I was playing dark souls 1 on pc. I got a bunch of steam messages from a friend, and when I reached an area with no monsters or visible danger I shift-tabbed to answer his question.

8 seconds later, a monster i had never seen before hit me with a permanent-duration attack that reduced my maximum health by 50%

That's what you get for not being careful

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Spellman posted:

Clickable sticks aren't listed on their site, and not sure about the triggers

https://www.powera.com/us/gamecube/#see-specs

You can pre-order them here if you're Canadian

With a $40+ shipping fee. It's obscene.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

You went into a new area and assumed it was safe. You never go into a new area and assume it's safe.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Your Computer posted:

You went into a new area and assumed it was safe. You never go into a new area and assume it's safe.

So it is “you’re safe if there are no enemies around” or “you are never safe?” This thread says both.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

So it is “you’re safe if there are no enemies around” or “you are never safe?” This thread says both.

You go to a room and kill the monsters there. Congratulations, you are safe in 99% of the cases.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Weedle posted:

You are safe if there are no enemies around.

You can make a mistake and think there are no enemies around, but there are. Oops.

Not rocket science.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you are never safe.

not in dark souls, just in general.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well this is a nice sewer, I think I'll stop here and take a rest. I'm sure the croaking in the distance is just some swamp gas! :yum: (Curse in DS1 is some bullshit though)

Weedle posted:

How can this be difficult? As long as you don't walk into a new area and assume it's safe you'll be fine. Just like, don't move. Enemies are placed like D&D encounters in Dark Souls and if you cleared an encounter then the place you're now standing is safe. If you move into a new area, chances are there's a new encounter waiting for you. Don't move into the new area unless you're ready to fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crawfish posted:

The plot reasons to justify why Gooigi is a thing are weird/interesting.

Like, usually they'd just treat it as a game mechanic separate to the deep lore entirely, but no, they actually added a tiny bit of relevance to the 2p mode.

What is the plot reason?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

As a Nintendo player encountering it 47 years after the rest of the planet, I am upset that Dark Souls does not respect my child, myself, or Father Time

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ok it just seems like people are saying the lack of pausing is fine because you can just leave the game running as long as you’re not in the middle of a fight, but also that’s not always the case and you can get hosed anyway. Seems like the kind of game that’s only suitable for people who can give it their undivided attention from the moment they turn it on to the moment they turn it off.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

Ok it just seems like people are saying the lack of pausing is fine because you can just leave the game running as long as you’re not in the middle of a fight, but also that’s not always the case and you can get hosed anyway. Seems like the kind of game that’s only suitable for people who can give it their undivided attention from the moment they turn it on to the moment they turn it off.

It is fine.

It might not be fine for you and that's fine too. Like you said not every game is suitable for everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Weedle posted:

Yeah. I dont think many people are saying that's "good" but that is how it is. You can usually stop within 30 seconds to a minute. (Outside of boss fights)

I've played every souls game and have you kids and dont play online games cause I want to be able to stop. It's annoying but not deal breaking and not devestating.