Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

Never underestimate how slow the feds move. Tether's really only been on the radar since last summer. Liberty Reserve was told to get their poo poo in order in 2009, didn't really get investigated heavily until 2011, and didn't get raided/seized/indicted until 2013. Federal white-collar investigations usually act in timescales of years, not weeks or months.

Man, has it really only been that long since it got real bad? I know it's a running joke how long time feels in 2018, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote up what the arsing gently caress is up with the 85-cent dollars called Tethers today.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Paladinus posted:

Funds are safe.

funds are tether

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Azathoth posted:

It did, when the spreads started getting real crazy was when we all knew it was real. That's the point where literally no one wants to bet on the exchange's solvency at any price, and just wants whatever asset they think they can actually transfer out.

Interestingly, there's no reason the price necessarily moves in that direction, it's just a collective bet that it's more likely to get coins out than cash. There's a collective understanding not just that they're a scam, but a particular kind of scam. The price could just as easily crater to pennies if folks expected they actually had cash to claim in bankruptcy.

Actually, I think you'll find it always moves in that direction because everyone knows that the problems are always with the traditional banking partners, never with the anti-fragile bitcoin network :smuggo:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
its such a perfect encapsulation of bitcoiners, "antifragile"

they somehow know they can't say it's strong or durable or any other opposite to fragile, so they just hope that if they say it's "antifragile" people will believe it

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
ur mom's antifragile

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if that's true why is she always crying about how disappointed she is

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i think when they say anti fragile they mean that it will break but it will come back even stronger than before!

you can see this in action during and when . and don't forget

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

"antifragile" apparently means "hasn't completely imploded yet"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Paladinus posted:

I just learned that Tether stands for 1,000,000,000,000 ETH. Similarly, Mether is 1,000,000 ETH.

actually, tether is 3 and mether is 4

other good numbers include dick, pimp, and bumfit

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Soricidus posted:

i'm often accused of being a mether but i prefer coke

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

please don't spoil luke-dash-jr's next bitcoin project

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1052011105365704705

its funny, due to percentages tether is about as stable as bitcoin right now :)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

fishmech posted:

its such a perfect encapsulation of bitcoiners, "antifragile"

they somehow know they can't say it's strong or durable or any other opposite to fragile, so they just hope that if they say it's "antifragile" people will believe it

superantifragilisticbitcoinisatrocious

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

doesn't anti-fragile come from notable idiot Nassim Taleb?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

nearly 30 years ago, reagan conservative George Gilder was the herald of the tech boom. He predicted that the power of the microprocessor would tear down the institutions of materially-based capitalism and usher in an era of just-in-time service contracts

i wonder what he's saying now?

:hmmyes:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

George Gilder: Forget Cloud Computing, Blockchain is the New Meaningless Buzzword being Thrown Around to try and Sound Cool?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Boxturret posted:

George Gilder: Forget Cloud Computing, Blockchain is the New Meaningless Buzzword being Thrown Around to try and Sound Cool?

i mean that is the only logical way that headline can end

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Paladinus posted:

Funds are safe.

safely in bitfinex's management team's panamanian bank accounts

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The cognitive dissonance required for bitcoiners to go from thinking they desperately need a trustless system because everyone is untrustworthy to being completely placated by bitfinex responding to rumours of their insolvency with "nu-uhh!" is something to behold.

Bitcoiners are somehow both the most paranoid and the most trusting group of people on earth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How's the tether printer doing?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
After printing 3billion tethers probably pretty worn out to be honest

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

the tether printer grows a cartoon mouth and starts panting like it's exhausted

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret posted:

i think when they say anti fragile they mean that it will break but it will come back even stronger than before!

you can see this in action during and when . and don't forget
it's even dumber than that, the idea is that there's nothing to come back from. instead of breaking at all things just magically get better and stronger and more solvent under stress.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
New blockchain for banks. (couldn't find a source in English, sorry). This one sells itself by not being anonymous.

What makes it interesting is that it is backed (9 digit amount in DKK) by Lars Seier Christensen, founder of Saxo Bank (an investment bank) and very much on the libertarian side (he was handing out Atlas Shrugged to anybody who wanted it and puts a lot of money in a Danish libertarian party).

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Djeser posted:

the tether printer grows a cartoon mouth and starts panting like it's exhausted

multiple printers have got killed due to their accounts being reported by a load of bots or w/e and are now still hanging on under newer handles

:shrug:

mission accomplish I guess

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/ErikVoorhees/status/1052077504461250563

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

All of these are definitely english words, but lined up in a way that makes absolutely no sense.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

hey who was that idiot talking about blockchain burrito IPOs on twitter? because like everything else in this poo poo heap, it's not even a new thing and has already been done for actual burritos :

https://bond.chilango.co.uk/ posted:

Back in 2014 we made headlines around the world, from The Economist to The Wall Street Journal, when we launched the first-ever Burrito Bond™. Over 700 people gobbled up our original bond, investing over £2 million into the company, and with Burrito Bond 2 we’re opening up the opportunity once again.

Investors in Burrito Bond 2 include the former CEO of Domino’s Pizza UK, VP of Marketing McDonald’s UK, and MD of Itsu. Invest alongside them to support our continued growth ahead, while earning 8% per annum and picking up loads of free food and exclusive rewards along the way.

bitcoin: failing to solve yesterday's problems.... someday.

edit: their burritos are OK, I've only ever had them drunk but there's a queue outside the place everyday. Also they charge like £2.50 extra for guacamole which is loving outrageous but at least shows they've got a revenue stream.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

klafbang posted:

New blockchain for banks. (couldn't find a source in English, sorry). This one sells itself by not being anonymous.

What makes it interesting is that it is backed (9 digit amount in DKK) by Lars Seier Christensen, founder of Saxo Bank (an investment bank) and very much on the libertarian side (he was handing out Atlas Shrugged to anybody who wanted it and puts a lot of money in a Danish libertarian party).

danske Bank just got slammed for money laundering/kyc failings so yeah, an anonymous money laundering settlement platform or whatever it is probably wasn't going to fly

...!
Oct 5, 2003

oh and bitcoiners hate erik just as much as they hate roger these days. apparently he betrayed bitcoin too

man, all the bitcoin og's are outcasts now. i wonder how long it will be until theyre spitting on andreas too. he's next

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1016/1003436-coinbases-dublin-office/

No stop get out

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ha-ha, Brexit finally results in something good.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

yes, that's why i open an investment account, it's so i can just watch my usd sit there and not because i want to buy stuff like stocks or bonds to get a return on my idle money

why i heard the other day my coworker saying they wanted to invest so they opened a brokerage account, transferred a few k into it and watch the flat line of nothing, it's so hypnotic

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

doesn't anti-fragile come from notable idiot Nassim Taleb?

that's the one!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's even dumber than that, the idea is that there's nothing to come back from. instead of breaking at all things just magically get better and stronger and more solvent under stress.

the whole concept is pretty much based on ignoring all the things going on behind the scenes when whatever is subject to stressors and a self-selecting tautological definition. things which are "anti-fragile" don't break under stress because if they did then by definition they wouldn't be "anti-fragile" now would they?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

quote:

Fiat deposits have been enabled on Bitfinex.

This banking information is being provided to you for purposes of contributing good faith funding to your account on Bitfinex. At all times, you are subject to our Terms of Service.
This banking information is commercially sensitive and confidential. You should be very careful with this information. You are asked to keep this information to yourself and to not share it except with your financial institution. Divulging this information could damage not just yourself and Bitfinex, but the entire digital token ecosystem. Accordingly, you are cautioned that there may be serious negative effects associated with this information becoming public.
Pursuant to the Terms of Service, Bitfinex is not liable for or responsible for the actions of third parties.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Please, send us Google Play or iTunes gift card codes to top up your balance.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
nassim taleb is the jordan peterson of statistics

somebody leak the hilariously shady bank bitfinex is using, for the good of the laffchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

AlbieQuirky posted:

nassim taleb is the jordan peterson of statistics

somebody leak the hilariously shady bank bitfinex is using, for the good of the laffchain

deltec apparently

• Locked thread