Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Yeah, if you’re planning on fighting the French, you definitely want Administrative and Defensive. I mean, generally you want those, but if you’re investing in crushing the French, Exploration can wait until your 3rd idea slot. Hell, you can leave it until your 4th as long as you don’t have your heart set on a particular part of America or the Cape.

I assume this cheesy trick still works: Start the game by releasing your continental holdings as vassals, put them on scutage just to make sure. Now the Surrender of Maine event chain will not fire so you will not be railroaded into an early war with France but can pick a fight at a time of your choosing (i.e. when you're good and ready and the French are not in the best shape). Also since your continental vassals are on scutage France will be able to get SFA war score against you in any case. Makes it quite easy to force a PU, and then you can use France to beat up the other colonizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

What do you mean, just once? I thought there'd be the early war (usually over Maine), and the you get the CB to unite them, meaning at the very least 2 wars.

The Maine war is for restoration of the union

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Sephyr posted:

What do you mean, just once? I thought there'd be the early war (usually over Maine), and the you get the CB to unite them, meaning at the very least 2 wars.

The war started by the Surrender of Maine event is a Restoration of Union war:

quote:

ENG = {
declare_war_with_cb = {
who = FRA
casus_belli = cb_restore_personal_union

If you avoid the event you need two wars. One to get the CB by occupying Paris and then a second where you declare with the CB.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Groogy posted:

Quick but dumb questions... how many of you never realized the morale bar goes yellow if you don't have 100% land maintenance? Or you have problems spotting the color difference?
(I never realized this might be a problem until today after a conversation I had with an old veteran that didn't know this was a thing)

It's super obvious because my eyes aren't busted or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sephyr posted:

If you refuse to surrender Maine, the war you start has the restoration of union CB.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Apparently there’s a mission tree for the ruthenian countries releasable from Lithuania. It’s a bit difficult playing as them

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Apparently I'm fever struck. All I want to do is run a multiplayer game with OPMs who are not allowed to gain more provinces who are all located in the HRE. Get tall or die.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That sounds fun actually. Everyone is a free city and whoever has the most gp score at the end wins

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Baudin posted:

Apparently I'm fever struck. All I want to do is run a multiplayer game with OPMs who are not allowed to gain more provinces who are all located in the HRE. Get tall or die.

sometimes i say im gonna play as a 10 province tall prussia or so, and then next thing I know it's 1750 and I own most of continental europe

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Hot drat does the AI colonize fast. I was testing the new england missions, had just PU'd France (which wrecked my manpower and cash for a while, since Burgundy and pals launched a coalition war almost immediately), and after I nibbled Scotland and Ireland to get back in gear anf finish other missions, Spaoin formed and was already all over the Brazilian coast and Caribbean when I made my first colony. I picked Exploration as the second idea group; was that too late?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Castile/Spain and Portugal always picks it as their first idea. But they also start much closer so they can reach much easier than you can too.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I managed to do pretty well even picking it as my third group. Part of it is about getting lucky with where they choose to focus their efforts, and part of it is how strong Castile/Spain is to begin with, I think.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Hot drat does the AI colonize fast. I was testing the new england missions, had just PU'd France (which wrecked my manpower and cash for a while, since Burgundy and pals launched a coalition war almost immediately), and after I nibbled Scotland and Ireland to get back in gear anf finish other missions, Spaoin formed and was already all over the Brazilian coast and Caribbean when I made my first colony. I picked Exploration as the second idea group; was that too late?

Too late? Beat on Spain and nick their stuff. They're just colonising for you.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you want to be a seriously dominant colonizer you should take exploration first — especially as England-France since you have no existential threats to worry about in that case apart from keeping the French loyal. You CAN definitely become a dominant colonizer with exploration second or third but it’s much more dependent on what your colonial rivals are doing and how willing you are to shake them down for colonies. They will almost always beat you to Brazil anyway just because of where they’re located — for the same reason you can almost always beat them to the North American zones, but you should try and get the Caribbean just because it’s so good by itself and also opens up the possibility of Mexico/Colombia/Peru.

If you take exploration later than third or fourth then you’re probably going to have to resign yourself to scraps unless the other colonizers are really lax or you want to fight serious colonial wars (which however with France as a subject is always an option).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best way to be the dominant colonizer is to take all the ports of your competitors :getin:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Blinks77 posted:

Too late? Beat on Spain and nick their stuff. They're just colonising for you.

Yeah, just started doing that. With France helping it's not really hard, but I thought I'd manage to reach at least -some- choice bits before them. Spain has been pretty peaceful on the world stage all game, so it figures they'd just colonize like mad. I did beat them to India and the spice islands, though, and managed circumnavigation early because I rolled an explorer with ridiculously amazing stats that then came home to wreck the danish navy for good.

Question: When you guys colononize, do you leave the colonist there all the while until it finishes or do you recall him to start another (and another)? Is there an 'optimal' point to do that so you can cover more ground?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sephyr posted:

Question: When you guys colononize, do you leave the colonist there all the while until it finishes or do you recall him to start another (and another)? Is there an 'optimal' point to do that so you can cover more ground?

Depends how much income surplus I have. The only penalty to having lots of colonies running at once is money. If you’re rolling in cash it sometimes makes more sense to start as many new colonies as you want — for example as Vijayanagar you’re so freakin rich you can just blanket the whole Cape at once and still be making bank.

If you’re poor then you can try and recall your colonist such that the colony will complete roughly the same time he arrives at the new one. Bit chancy but it should tide you over for a while, if you’re colonizing well you probably won’t be that poor for long.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i always maintain as many colonies as i can possibly afford.

now i haven't run the numbers but i suspect they pay themselves back sometime in the late 23rd century.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

In the early game I usually aim to have 1-2 "extra" colonies up depending on my income. Typically I recall and resend at the 600~800 mark. As your income increases, you can stack more and more colonies safely; by endgame I often have 7 or 8 growing at once, lol.

Keep in mind it's partly a strategic decision, though, not just a numbers one. If you're mostly trying to extend your range so you can get the juicy stuff, leave the colonist there so it completes faster. On the other hand, if you're trying to Tordesillas the Caribbean or stake an early claim on Cape, it might be good to just eat the debt necessary to go hog wild before anyone can gently caress with you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prav posted:

now i haven't run the numbers but i suspect they pay themselves back sometime in the late 23rd century.
A pretty map is priceless.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I just came back to this game after a year or so away, and fired up the ol' Muscovy game just to see if it felt much different, and god drat is it frustrating the way alliances and warfare work. I mean it shouldn't be surprising at all, I guess I just forgot how much of a mess it could be where every AI throws every ounce of effort they have into every conflict, including the allies of all involved. And holy hell are Personal Unions terribly modelled.

Whenever EU5 comes around, I really hope they improve things to the point where low level conflicts are possible; in my opinion some ability to play out a reasonably facsimile of the Muscovite-Lithuanian wars would be a great benchmark.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 16, 2018

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

That sounds fun actually. Everyone is a free city and whoever has the most gp score at the end wins

That was the idea yea. Getting vassals and massive would be weirdly fun with the right mapgoons.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
230 years into my Austria game and I finally managed to snake my way into the West Bengal area, now all I need is some spare cash and I'll have that achievement. I already have some of the ugliest loving borders ever.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Prav posted:

new world colonies in the right places can yield ludicrous tariffs as long as you oppress them with tariff raises every time the event fires

caribbean, mexico, etc. should basically always pay back rather quickly

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The key is to build buildings and stack tariff efficiency. It's sort of a thing people forget with the colonies they will apply their production/trade efficiency on the goods before you collect. Which means if you have 100% tariff rate taking as much as you can and then 100% tariff efficiency is then a doubling after they've already applied their own modifiers to the income. I believe even building a manufactory in frozen over Alaska the ROI is somewhere like 16-19 years. That's without counting you pulling the trade home and collecting it.

If you just colonize and let them to their own, then it's going to be super long time until they pay off. Doing it like this means you can easily get a single 100-200 dev CN pay you back 30-50 ducats a month.
Example:

(Fun fact: before my rework of tariffs you could get tariffs paying out thousands of ducats)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 18, 2018

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
In other words the right amount of colonies is likely the amount of colonists you have, since you're better off uaing any extra cash to build stuff in your existing colonies rather than maintaining a double cost colony with 0% settler chance. And the one after that costs 10 ducats per month, so even if you have 100 growth/year you'll pay 1200 ducats for it, close to three manufactories even if your only building discount is embracing the Renaissance. And +100 is pretty difficult to hit before tech 22, though doable if you're repressing natives or trading in cotton.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Pretty much, and very well said. Of course it might be worth taking that cost if you are trying to block off another colonizer from an area. But that's strategic value and not monetary.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Though, looking at the wiki, 0% maintenance maxes out at a -125 growth modifier? Later on you might be able to power through that. At diplo tech 22 you have +100 from tech, if you have both exploration and expansion and are running the policy you can get +50, +20 from native repression policy lands you at 45 growth at 0% maintenance. Then you can get additional bonuses from trading in cotton or a protestant aspect, +10 from burghers, maybe a bonus from your idea set... at that point there probably isn't that much left to colonize, but running colonies everywhere you can reach at 0% maintenance sounds like it might actually make sense? Plus you'd be able to block everyone else.

...Does the slider actually go down to zero maintenance, or just 50%?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well this England run is off to a good start. It's 1451 and I have Castille and France PUed. I'm sure the liberty desire from two huge subjects will be fine and my 2.5k of loans will be totally manageable, what can go wrong?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 18, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Beat the poo poo out of Burgundy and make them pay for your wars. In the process you acquire development to lower the liberty desire from your PUs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

what can go wrong?

Henry died, Castille PU dissolved. :anticlimax:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wafflecopper posted:

Henry died, Castille PU dissolved. :anticlimax:

Restore union on them. With France by your side, it'll be a cakewalk. And you'll literally be 3 major colonizers rolled into one (and at that point I'd just vassalize Portugal for shits and giggles and literally rule the whole new world by proxy)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

The key is to build buildings and stack tariff efficiency. It's sort of a thing people forget with the colonies they will apply their production/trade efficiency on the goods before you collect. Which means if you have 100% tariff rate taking as much as you can and then 100% tariff efficiency is then a doubling after they've already applied their own modifiers to the income. I believe even building a manufactory in frozen over Alaska the ROI is somewhere like 16-19 years. That's without counting you pulling the trade home and collecting it.

If you just colonize and let them to their own, then it's going to be super long time until they pay off. Doing it like this means you can easily get a single 100-200 dev CN pay you back 30-50 ducats a month.
Example:

(Fun fact: before my rework of tariffs you could get tariffs paying out thousands of ducats)

Woah.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Restore union on them.

I completely forgot about that. Thanks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

TorakFade posted:

Restore union on them. With France by your side, it'll be a cakewalk. And you'll literally be 3 major colonizers rolled into one (and at that point I'd just vassalize Portugal for shits and giggles and literally rule the whole new world by proxy)

subjects won’t take exploration

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oddium posted:

subjects won’t take exploration

Yeah but if you vassalize/PU them after they've opened up the group they will unlock the ideas and use their colonists (as long as they have money).

Wafflecopper posted:

I completely forgot about that. Thanks.

Actually, due to the above, I'd wait for them to take the Exploration idea group before re-enforcing the PU - I think Restore Union CB lasts 20 years or so, there should be enough time. I mean with a PU over France and Castile in 1450 you've basically already won the game and don't strictly need Castile to colonize for you, but why not

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I reached a personal milestone in EU4 last night when I finally formed Spain for the first time, from Aragon. That felt a lot easier than any of my Castile attempts. I also lucked into a PU over France two years before I formed Spain, so now I feel pretty invincible. The Burgundian inheritance never fired - it’s 1520 now, can that still happen?

Next goals will be colonizing, along with taking the rest of Italy. Down the road I want to start tearing the Ottomans apart. They’ve somehow allied with Hungary.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

The Burgundian inheritance never fired - it’s 1520 now, can that still happen?

No, must be before 1500:

quote:

trigger = {
tag = BUR
ai = yes
was_player = no
NOT = { has_country_flag = burgundian_succession_crisis }
is_at_war = yes
is_free_or_tributary_trigger = yes
is_emperor = no
government = monarchy
has_regency = no
is_female = no
NOT = { is_year = 1500 }
capital_scope = {
continent = europe
}
FRA = {
exists = yes
is_free_or_tributary_trigger = yes
num_of_cities = 8
is_neighbor_of = BUR
}
OR = {
emperor = {
exists = yes
NOT = { war_with = FRA }
}
emperor = {
exists = no
}
}

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What gives better bang for your buck: trade buildings on your colonies or production buildings there? What are the best trade node chains to pursue as england? Don't think I ever managed to chain merchants all the way from Malacca to the english channel.

Also, holy hell, Spain is a tough nut to crack in the mid-1500s. The Iberian wedding fired super early for them, and in every war they just munch through my troops, my french vassal's stack (it helps that they basically forgot two stack of their soldiers in Ireland after i conquered it and seem to be in no hurry to bring them back -grumble) AND Austria's.

I even waited until they were engaged in Morocco for the last one, sending my navy to Gibraltar to lock them in Africa, but they just insta-nuked a coastal fort and ran back to Europe to lift all my sieges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

West Africa is crucial as any northern European colonizer imo, because it flows out to both Sevilla and... Bordeaux or the Channel, I forget which. Point is, control West Africa and you get to leech off basically all Iberian activity in Africa and Asia.

Production buildings are probably better than trade buildings In General bc they actually increase the value being generated, not just how good you are at steering it. Markets and such are more about getting a bigger slice of the value that's already there.