Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
loving swidgealiens and their HAES promoting bullshit... as a fat loving loser myself I can't stand it when I see femineets in my video games. It makes me physically ill that :females: get to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What made warhammer for me was the fact that it took place in a world that tracked everything. poo poo affected other poo poo so if a town was lost you'd see the effect on another town yet all would not be lost. AoS basically removed the entire world which was 50% of warhammer so now you got these stupid rear end planes with no consequences anymore. Skaven were so fun because yeah they were a huge threat but it was never an overpowered threat--uniting them ruins the setting, of course skaven will win if they're united.

I wish they'd make rune magic use the winds of magic and trigger global things like reduced duration or increased winds cost for your opponent. It would be an entirely reactive magic system intended to counter your enemies magic. Remember magic has a ton of passive poo poo that helps your army when you cast it that the dawi army has no equivalency too. I'd love to see runesmiths increase the miscast chance and when ever it happened they would trigger a grounding effect giving the runesmith a buff around him. Keep the magic resist but make it small like 10-15%, tie all the dawi anti magic stuff into rune items and smiths as reactive buffs and debuffs so casting magic against the dawi would be a tricky affair.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Salted_Pork posted:

Isn't that the definition of any piece of fiction? It exists to introduce entities and create conflict between them.

Yeah but Warhammer had an interesting development path. It started with a company that had the license to sell DnD books in the UK and started making associated miniatures. The company then thought, “Hey, why sell like 7-8 miniatures to someone when we can make a mass company game and sell them 25-30.” Then people that bought the game and minis started asking them why one particular faction of toys really hated another particular faction.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but Warhammer had an interesting development path. It started with a company that had the license to sell DnD books in the UK and started making associated miniatures. The company then thought, “Hey, why sell like 7-8 miniatures to someone when we can make a mass company game and sell them 25-30.” Then people that bought the game and minis started asking them why one particular faction of toys really hated another particular faction.

Weren't the original Beastmen just unsold Broo minis for Glorantha, too?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ammanas posted:

drat dude you're absolutely right about using the anchor as a weapon, that sounds like an animation nightmare though

Yeah, I suspect this is why we've still never seen any units with flails none that I can think of, at least. The Tomb King dude with the whip doesn't have very good animations, and on a centerpiece unit like the ship golem you'd want their animations to be polished to a mirror shine.

Alas, what could have been. I keep thinking of the awesome sync kills you could do with those things having an anchor flail arm.

Randarkman posted:

Honestly, I think W40k is much better as an RPG setting than as a tabletop wargaming thing where you smash armies against each other at random. You can much better play up the alien nature of thins and the eldritch horror nature, the Imperium also makes a very good setting I believe, because there both exists a wealth of fluff to grab from, it is very strange and different from normal RPG and sci-fi fare and it is so vast and diverse that you can basically still fill it with whatever you want while using it as a framework.

Battlefleet Gothic seems cool though, that at least gets the scale thing right, though I haven't tried the actual tabletop game.

I think 40k disappeared up its own rear end with how seriously the setting takes itself. Even the orks are steadily losing their comic relief role in the more recent fluff with THE BEAST! To me, it's more grimderp these days than grimdark.

It's hard for me to put a finger on what I think went wrong with the setting and why I stopped caring about it a few years ago, but maybe the relentless negativity of the setting finally wore me out, or maybe it's that the people in charge seemed to forget how fundamentally silly the whole thing is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cythereal posted:

I think 40k disappeared up its own rear end with how seriously the setting takes itself. Even the orks are steadily losing their comic relief role in the more recent fluff with THE BEAST! To me, it's more grimderp these days than grimdark.
Uh, have you seen their new vehicle models? Orks are definitely still wacky.

E: Honestly, a lot of the common complaints about GW and Warhammer itt always sounds a few years out of date, given how openly the company's been pushing its satirical elements, and the success it's seen by doing so.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 17, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I suspect this is why we've still never seen any units with flails none that I can think of, at least. The Tomb King dude with the whip doesn't have very good animations, and on a centerpiece unit like the ship golem you'd want their animations to be polished to a mirror shine.

Alas, what could have been. I keep thinking of the awesome sync kills you could do with those things having an anchor flail arm.

It's hard for me to put a finger on what I think went wrong with the setting and why I stopped caring about it a few years ago, but maybe the relentless negativity of the setting finally wore me out, or maybe it's that the people in charge seemed to forget how fundamentally silly the whole thing is.

i feel like the silliness is absolutely key. incidentally, this is why The Crazy Gun Vampire Pirate, Ariel, Godmother of Sartosa, and The Fat Lady Who Sings A Boat Into Existence To Kill You are all excellent. you need to have your grimdark tempered with an appropriate level of "we realize we're all just loving around here, right?"

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Weren't the original Beastmen just unsold Broo minis for Glorantha, too?

GW has found very solid motivations for their creations to fight eachother and named them accordingly. No one is going to suggest that Slambo was just some made up name they pulled out of nothing and wasn't an inspired and rich character.

...is it actually meant to be typed SLAMBO?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I was into 40K stuff a bit (entirely video games and some books and stuff here and there), and when I saw TWW announced, I didn't even realize there was Fantasy Warhammer and was immediately disinterested. Then, I watched some videos after it came out, and decided to give it a try. I now actually have a hard time going back to 40K because I love Fantasy so much. I like how it goofs with tired fantasy tropes and makes a world where there is like no 100% honorable race. Every faction/race is a bunch of scumbags in some way, but there are characters that are different shades of decency and indecency clashing against the backdrop. It's one of a lot of the features that can result in some cool character interactions like get in stuff like Vermintide.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yeah i had no idea about fantasy until i played vermintide, then tww, and now i like it way more than 40k. it would be cool if GW had given fantasy that exposure to a new, huge audience BEFORE they blew it up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Randarkman posted:

When did they retcon the Necrons? Back when I started playing WH40k in junior high (Kind of quit after that but picked it up again mostly for painting models with a friend of mine where I live now, and played a couple of matches, now if we paint or play GW stuff it's mostly Bloodbowl cause 40k as a game kind of sucks) a friend of mine played Necrons, and back then at least they were soulless people enslaved in terminator robot bodies by Cthulhu gods, also they were responsible for some people being born with no connection to the warp, Pariahs/Untouchables and I think they could control them somehow.

Oh. Someone asked the same question 10 minutes ago.

2011, 5th edition. Necron Pariahs aren't really a thing anymore. Neither is the looming threat of the C'tan. The Silent King of the Necron race managed to take subvert enough control to shatter the C'tan into shards and seal them into tesseract labyrinths to be used as weapons of last resort before the Necrons entombed themselves. I guess with them gone their long-term plans for humanity went too.

They also expanded the Dark Eldar story a lot in 2010, so much so that it kind of counts as a retcon.

Also, the Horus Heresy novel series has a lot of retcons, expansions of ideas, and new inserted ideas.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 17, 2018

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the pariah mutation is still a thing though, now the sisters of silence are a unit on the tabletop game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Skaven really are innumerable and can conquer the world.

This was always the case. They were just far too divided and fearful of each other to capitalize on their advantages. The way they unite actually makes sense too. The Great Horned Rat manifests takes control of the Council and has his Greater Daemons take direct control of the Skaven Clans. Then they go on the offensive and start toppling empires.

The stupid part is how the Horned Rat manifests. You know how in the Vortex campaign the final battle is to prevent the Skaven from dispelling the Vortex which will allow the Horned Rat to manifest. In the End Times that happens, except it's Teclis who dispels it. (A guy who's plan in this game is making sure the Vortex does not fail.)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was always the case. They were just far too divided and fearful of each other to capitalize on their advantages. The way they unite actually makes sense too. The Great Horned Rat manifests takes control of the Council and has his Greater Daemons take direct control of the Skaven Clans. Then they go on the offensive and start toppling empires.

The stupid part is how the Horned Rat manifests. You know how in the Vortex campaign the final battle is to prevent the Skaven from dispelling the Vortex which will allow the Horned Rat to manifest. In the End Times that happens, except it's Teclis who dispels it. (A guy who's plan in this game is making sure the Vortex does not fail.)

Speaking of that, where are my Verminlords, CA?
And Jezzails and ratling gunners, and most importantly of all, where is my Snotling Pump Wagon?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

yeah i had no idea about fantasy until i played vermintide, then tww, and now i like it way more than 40k. it would be cool if GW had given fantasy that exposure to a new, huge audience BEFORE they blew it up.

but then how would we get cool new characters like

That said the fish aelfs and zeppelin hobo dorfs are fine, they can come into my Warhammer Fantasy if they want.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Speaking of that, where are my Verminlords, CA?
And Jezzails and ratling gunners, and most importantly of all, where is my Snotling Pump Wagon?
Don't have an answer about the snotlings for you, but jezzails and ratling gunners are almost certainly coming with a skaven/lizardmen DLC supposedly coming early 2019.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That said the fish aelfs and zeppelin hobo dorfs are fine, they can come into my Warhammer Fantasy if they want.

I will never understand what they were thinking when they designed the sigmarines.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I will never understand what they were thinking when they designed the sigmarines.

"how do we add space marines to a setting with no space?"

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I actually kinda like that model except for the facehelmet, then again I have always been a sucker for the shining heavy-armor paladin/knight look. :shobon:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't the cost of those 3 figures roughly the same as for one DLC?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Agean90 posted:

"how do we add space marines to a setting with no space?"

The Chaos Warriors already manage that while looking about 100% less stupid, which is saying a lot because even they have silly looking edgelord outfits.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

The Chaos Warriors already manage that while looking about 100% less stupid, which is saying a lot because even they have silly looking edgelord outfits.

not enough fascism

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cardiac posted:

That's an exaggeration. The figures are much more expensive.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cardiac posted:

A set of 10 Sequitors will set you back 60 US dollars. So three of them would be 18,-. And that's not counting the stuff & time you need for assembling & painting.

As someone who played the tabletop game, people bitching about the cost of the DLC is hysterical.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

To me, Sigmarines started looking better once they made helmet-less options available.

With the helmets, they're the most bland looking good guys GW could have possibly farted out for their new setting.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1052560192322396163

HOLY poo poo LOKHIR!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://store.steampowered.com/app/835671/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II__Lokhir_Fellheart/

Lokhir Fellheart as expected, and patch details here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
SQUIDFACE YES

gently caress Malus Edgeblade

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
The patch is HUGE!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Vampire Counts get something similar to the Tomb Kings historical lords and Kemmler is a faction leader over near Bretonnia and is immune to untainted attrition.

Lokhir can give Corsairs fear and stalk instead of using a rite to recruit arms, of which he gets a fuckton. Also very cool, and has a Dark Elf that actually starts far away from all the others for a nice change of pace.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I am extremely pumped.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While it makes sense to release him now considering the navy update, it sucks that the Lizardmen won't have any new content until next year.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
They're also showing off the Barrow Legion and the bloodlines stuff on twitch right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Stalk and AP for Black Ark Corsairs? That effectively turns them into better-armoured, short-range Shades.

:getin:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gently caress yeah time for some morning coffee and patch notes

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The bloodlines look fantastic. 3 levels of each bloodline to awaken, each level gives buffs (for instance +25% research speed for Necrarchs). The awakened lords have immortality by default and their redline skills are more in line with TWW2 factions than TWW1 factions; they say they're planning to roll out TWW2-style redline skills to all factions over time.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

People are talking about a naval update, what's the details on that? Or are you just calling it a naval update because the faction is a navy?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

People are talking about a naval update, what's the details on that? Or are you just calling it a naval update because the faction is a navy?

Navy battles are no longer auto-resolve only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, what's the maps going to be like? Fighting on a black ark? A bunch of ships tied together?