Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

oh, word. at least the yakuts get a good deal out of it i guess. the awakened ones, at least

also that's quite an interesting distinction, not a horse-like human but a human-like horse. is that usually the direction other hybrid mythological creatures tend to be?

Most shapeshifters are awakened animals, otherwise it can vary IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This LP led me to finally install Shadowrun: Hong Kong after it's been sitting in my steam library for years. It's really really good so far! One thing I'm wondering: There is a scene where an NPC says a "Trans-Catholic" prayer which apparently is a syncretic religion with both Catholic and Hindu elements. Any info on that?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

oystertoadfish posted:

oh, word. at least the yakuts get a good deal out of it i guess. the awakened ones, at least

also that's quite an interesting distinction, not a horse-like human but a human-like horse. is that usually the direction other hybrid mythological creatures tend to be?

That's one of the reasons the whole Kingdom of the Naga thing was so interesting, as the Naga are also a Sapient race unrelated to metahumanity, and were originally just seen as a breed of particularly intelligent paracritters that were good for security work. Turns out they were learning metahuman customs and languages while they were being used as security animals and then declared the formation of their own country in what was Cambodia around Angkor Wat around a decade later.

Awakened nations tend to be pretty scary in their own right as well, although the biggest of their number, Amazonia, just lost a war to Aztlan/Aztechnology, albeit one that was supposedly pyrrhic for the latter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Most of the newer post-Awakening nations don't recognize extraterritoriality and are very hostile to the megacorps, because the megacorps are huge dicks and they haven't had time to completely corrupt the political structure like they did with the pre-Awakening nations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Africa actually has awakened superintelligent gorillas.

Edit: no wait, that's DC comics.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any Jurassic Parks with Awakened Raptors? Or other extinct or chimeric crossbred critters that were genetically engineered by man before waking up?

What are dolphins like in this world?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lack of Gravitas posted:

They're assholes.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

They are assholes in our world too.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of Gravitas posted:

There are Storm Dolphins, who are awakened dolphins with power over electricity and weather. They like attacking ships, rigs, coastlines, basically anywhere with metahumans that's within a mile of the ocean. Very, very hostile to metahumans in general.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Ysengrin posted:

There are Storm Dolphins, who are awakened dolphins with power over electricity and weather. They like attacking ships, rigs, coastlines, basically anywhere with metahumans that's within a mile of the ocean. Very, very hostile to metahumans in general.

They’ve also tested as fully sapient. So they are actually assholes, not just aggressively territorial animals.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Stroth posted:

They’ve also tested as fully sapient. So they are actually assholes, not just aggressively territorial animals.

Hey, you'd be pissed at someone too if they'd been responsible for a floating garbage patch twice the size of Texas (probably bigger in Shadowrun) in your back yard.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The best way to get attacked by awakened marine life is to start dumping, because they'll track you down. Some of them will spend months doing it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

You can't even move inland, they'll come outta the toilet.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
fully automatic weapons have gone a long way towards keeping the Sixth World's wilds less terrifying than the Fourth's. the local baron had a MUCH harder time cleaning hostile centaurs out of the woods than your friendly local Aztechnology rep does.

that said, the woods are still wild, dark, and deep, and there are miles to go before you sleep. do not run out of gas between towns. there are armadillos can crush a four-seater, wolves that vomit fireballs, and that's to say nothing about the occasional roving pack of ghouls.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that said, the woods are still wild, dark, and deep, and there are miles to go before you sleep. do not run out of gas between towns. there are armadillos can crush a four-seater, wolves that vomit fireballs, and that's to say nothing about the occasional roving pack of ghouls.

And that's just the suburbs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also the centaurs have probably been supplied with manpack (horsepack?) AA missiles by a competing megacorp.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
God help you if you ever end up out in farm country. You know how many chickens there are on a serious chicken farm? Enough that, statistically, there's probably at least a few cockatrices running around. Imagine a chicken. Now imagine that it's ten feet long from beak to tail, weighs about a hundred pounds, can run faster than most cars can move on those lovely old roads, is perfectly capable of flight, can paralyze someone with a touch, is entirely carnivorous, and likes to eat its meals slow.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stroth posted:

God help you if you ever end up out in farm country. You know how many chickens there are on a serious chicken farm? Enough that, statistically, there's probably at least a few cockatrices running around. Imagine a chicken. Now imagine that it's ten feet long from beak to tail, weighs about a hundred pounds, can run faster than most cars can move on those lovely old roads, is perfectly capable of flight, can paralyze someone with a touch, is entirely carnivorous, and likes to eat its meals slow.

I'm sorry, but imagining a chicken just reminded me how loving dumb chickens are.

Hurts the intimidation factor.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sorry, but imagining a chicken just reminded me how loving dumb chickens are.

You'd think. Until you remember that "Dumb" in the right context also means "Absolutely /fearless/ because it doesn't know to be afraid." And cockatrices aren't afraid of /anything/.

Ask the Australians how their war on the Emu's went sometime.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

kaosdrachen posted:

You'd think. Until you remember that "Dumb" in the right context also means "Absolutely /fearless/ because it doesn't know to be afraid." And cockatrices aren't afraid of /anything/.

Make sure to ask our resident aussies about Cassowaries as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Make sure to ask our resident aussies about Cassowaries as well.

Cassowaries are a lot smarter than emus. A cassowary will do its best to leave you alone unless you piss it off somehow.
Emus meanwhile are only smart enough to have two behaviours 1) eat it 2) run away from it. They have to fit everything into one of these two categories. Everything.
(If something is sufficiently confusing they will alternate between them at high frequency)

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
And for a Cockatrice, the list of Things To Run Away From is very small.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
No wonder real meat is so expensive.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

kaosdrachen posted:

I know not what the weapons of the Third Emu War will be fought with, but the Fourth shall use sticks and stones.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Agriculture seems difficult!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Looking up the rulebook cockatrices have the same mental stats as dogs. Oh, and their entry includes this:

quote:

In the wild, flocks of cockatrices often hunt as a group. Flocks
generally consist of less than twenty members, but during droughts
multiple flocks may congregate into groups of over a hundred
specimens. These large flocks will sometimes hunt together to
bring down extremely large prey animals, and they can pose a
threat to nearby metahuman settlements.
How's that for intimidation factor? :v:

quote:

These animals are often used for security purposes. Though
naturally diurnal, in security use they are often allowed to roam in
brightly lit fenced areas at night and return to rest in a darkened
habitat during the day. Guard specimens are imprinted on their
handlers from hatching, and they become extremely protective of
their handlers.
Not in offices but making runs into countryside sites can be extremely dangerous. Other popular choices are hellhounds (awakened dogs that breathe fire) and grizzly bears. Grizzly bears pumped up with cyberware who tear through normal bears that is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Agriculture seems difficult!

I'm just waiting to hear what Awakened Corn does to people.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KTB3t1t7dk

It is the obvious first impulse.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

The Lone Badger posted:

Modern staple crops are so drastically altered and processed that they have no magical potential. Your attack drone is more likely to be awakened.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I knew what to expect before I even clicked the link. I was not disappointed. :allears:

paragon1 posted:

Modern staple crops are so drastically altered and processed that they have no magical potential. Your attack drone is more likely to be awakened.

I'm surprised the newest 6th World soda isn't advertised as containing High-Mana Corn Syrup.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

paragon1 posted:

What, and dogs aren't?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tiggum posted:

What, and dogs aren't?

Plenty of dogs are, and your gene-tweaked dog isn't likely to turn into a hell hound or barghest anytime soon.

If you're trying to be a smartass about selective breeding, then surprise! that doesn't count. Why doesn't it? Same reason why working wood with hand tools count differently than working with a lathe for enchantment.

No good in universe reason. The meta-reason is that Shadowrun's authors seem to by into the sort of crunchy granola style of environmentalism that gets really concerned with whether or not things are "natural".

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, dumb like a bantam rooster walking over and clawing a dog's face open because it's too dumb to realize it isn't gonna win that fight.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, is there such a thing as CEOs going on safari hunting para-animals in Shadowrun? Professional hunters/poachers who supply the magic community with animal parts for reagents? Helicopter/drone hunts to keep the populations of dangerous critters in check?

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 20, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, is ther such a thing as CEOs going on safari hunting para-animals in Shadowrun? Professional hunters/poachers who supply the magic community with animal parts for reagents? Helicopter/drone hunts to keep the populations of dangerous critters in check?

Yes, absolutely yes, and almost certainly, respectively.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Monster Hunter: Shadowrun

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Has anyone mentioned the awakened version of the Armadillo yet? the one you need artillery barrages or multiple airstrikes to get it to go away?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One of my tabletop characters once was a pest exterminator who had to start shadowrunning after a ruinous liability lawsuit. Not much experience in crime, but lots of cyberware and a really high-calibre rifle.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it'd be really cool to hear more about intercontinental shipping in the sixth world, and just the open ocean in general. it's been mentioned that the seas are very, very hostile and powerful (see storm dolphin discussion above or last page or so), but that one chinese corporation and Maersk are still out there (unless i got that wrong)

people had mentioned some specifics about the chinese one but i'm curious, does maersk use like viking magic to sail the seas or something? that would make plenty of sense but i'd love to hear if there are details

anyway, crewing a container ship or otherwise finding yourself needing to sail across the ocean actually seems like it could be pretty flavorful, as a setting or at least a starting point for some kind of under the sea thing idk. are there any ocean-related sourcebooks or media or anything?

other ocean questions:
- do the pacific islanders get any cool poo poo for their connection to open seas travel?
- how does awakened coral work? is the great barrier reef a sentient, godlike power in its own right?
- can/do physical items like glaciers, volcanoes, icebergs, etc. get awakened?
- are there still submarines or do they just immediately get eaten by kraken?
- have the powers of the sea ever made any attempt to maintain a toehold on dry land? going up there to murder people has been mentioned, but do, like, those eyeless lobstery things that live by geothermal vents in the deep ocean ever conquer hawaii or anything?

edit: also iirc you can drill kilometers down into the crust and find microscopic life. im sure its outside the scope of this game but it'd be funny if that life ever decided to gently caress around

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

One of the largest players in Great Dragon politics in Shadowrun is the aptly named Sea Dragon, who, while she doesn't outright claim dominion of the oceans, no one really is gonna challenge her on it if push comes to shove. She's got her minions (I think they're mostly merrow?) as well, but is generally content to live and let live as far as I can remember unless you pollute the oceans horribly or something like that.

Another corp that's heavily invested in the seas is Proteus AG, a German based AA that's known for building arcoblocs, or deep water arcologies. And there are a number of companies invested in growing food on the sea bed in controlled areas, or just churning out krill and mycoprotein as the next foodstuff alongside soy.

Oh, and the North Sea is basically poison due to oil drilling accidents, and it periodically floods Hamburg, so that's a thing you have to keep in mind. I think Europoort (a heavily expanded Rotterdam) in the Netherlands still holds the title as one of the largest shipping points in the world, and it's mostly automated.