Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, all of em changed shirts and things - Eccleston's jumpers, Tennant and Smith's shirts, Capaldi's everything. Not sure it counts as a gimmick

goons shocked by the concept of not wearing the same clothes every day until they disintegrate from dirt, sweat and grease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

We'll never get a secret new Doctor reveal ever. There's too much promotional value in it for them to let it just happen as part of a story without anyone knowing in advance. Which is a real shame.

I wonder if, now that they have written the regeneration limit out, they can afford to hire a guest star for a rapid-fire/one story regeneration or something along those lines.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wonder if, now that they have written the regeneration limit out, they can afford to hire a guest star for a rapid-fire/one story regeneration or something along those lines.

They could have done that at any time anyway though. I mean, we didn't know that dildodoctor counted until Moffat told us he did in Smith's last story, and we didn't know about War until the 50th. Basically the only point at which it would have been narratively a problem to have a single story Doctor was in the middle of Smiths' final story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Oh I had a dream about that once. In it, I was going through a book about the history of the show, and it mentioned all these lesser known, one-story-only Doctors that were between the main ones. Like between Pertwee and Tom you had Eric Morecambe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I had a dream about that once. In it, I was going through a book about the history of the show, and it mentioned all these lesser known, one-story-only Doctors that were between the main ones. Like between Pertwee and Tom you had Eric Morecambe.

"He won't exterminate many Thals going that speed."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fil5000 posted:

We'll never get a secret new Doctor reveal ever. There's too much promotional value in it for them to let it just happen as part of a story without anyone knowing in advance. Which is a real shame.

Even if they wanted to, keeping it secret from the press would be drat near impossible. Someone would leak it online and/or to the press and suprise blown.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I know Tom's presence in the 50th was leaked (by Tom) but were there any spoilers about McGann's appearance?

Or John Hurt's earlier?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I usually read spoilers and I'm pretty sure McGann was a shock to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
John Hurt's appearance was pretty public actually, but only a few people put two and two together based on the costume and realized he was an incarnation of the Doctor, IIRC. This was roughly when the finale of the series accidentally went out early and spoilers were trickling out (though they didn't spread much, mostly because the Doctor Who people were begging the internet not to spoil it).

Also, IIRC, one of the early spoilers was vague and there were two versions: one where the reveal was of John Hurt, the other where it was actually... David Tennant?

EDIT: Wow, I've done a terrible job at explaining it, so let's try to reword things (but keep the original message out of shame):

1) The finale went out early because of a mistake with Blu-Ray shipments. Some people watched it way before it was intended.

2) Some limited spoilers circulated, explaining how the episode was laid out and the reveal at the end, but they didn't really spread because the Doctor Who people begged the internet not to leak the ending.

3) It was therefore unclear whether the person that appeared at the end of the episode was John Hurt's character or David Tennant.

4) John Hurt had been publicly involved with the 50th special for a while, but so far the understanding was that he was playing an important role as a sort of side character. The fact that he was another Doctor was hiding in plain sight.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 19, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

They could have done that at any time anyway though. I mean, we didn't know that dildodoctor counted until Moffat told us he did in Smith's last story, and we didn't know about War until the 50th. Basically the only point at which it would have been narratively a problem to have a single story Doctor was in the middle of Smiths' final story.

They arguably did broadly that story with The Next Doctor even though something else was actually going on.

(I unironically love The Next Doctor and I will fight you all.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And "Actor who has already been the doctor has a cameo in Doctor Who" is a whole different thing from "This person is the new doctor". Bear in mind thats something that bookies actually lay odds on. The press in the UK would absolutely run a "Patterson Joseph is the new doctor! Shock BBC leak!" story in a heartbeat if they got hold of it before its announced. Maybe not front page (unless it was a real slow news week. Remember when we sometimes had those?) but definately a strap on the front with a "full story page 7!".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

One idea I like is at some point in the past, the actor playing the Doctor falls out with the BBC and quits, and it's so abrupt they can't regenerate him so they recast the same Doctor. So, for instance, somebody like Laurence Payne plays the Second Doctor, decides he's had enough and quits, and they rush to cast, let's say, Denholm Elliott as the second Second Doctor. It'd drive fans nuts whether that should be two separate Doctors later on when they started to care about such things.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I know Tom's presence in the 50th was leaked (by Tom) but were there any spoilers about McGann's appearance?

McGann let it slip about 24 hours early, but it was so small-scale that most people didn't hear about it. There were so many rumors around that no one knew what to believe. One of the great things about the 50th is that, in additional to be awesome all on its own, Five-ish Doctors Reboot served as a fantastic disinformation campaign during its production. :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One idea I like is at some point in the past, the actor playing the Doctor falls out with the BBC and quits, and it's so abrupt they can't regenerate him so they recast the same Doctor. So, for instance, somebody like Laurence Payne plays the Second Doctor, decides he's had enough and quits, and they rush to cast, let's say, Denholm Elliott as the second Second Doctor. It'd drive fans nuts whether that should be two separate Doctors later on when they started to care about such things.

So, like that time when there were three Popes?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

After The War posted:

McGann let it slip about 24 hours early, but it was so small-scale that most people didn't hear about it. There were so many rumors around that no one knew what to believe. One of the great things about the 50th is that, in additional to be awesome all on its own, Five-ish Doctors Reboot served as a fantastic disinformation campaign during its production. :allears:

Yeah, I was pretty deep into DW at the time and I had no idea McGann would turn up in that special. I'd assumed it'd be John Hurt.

When he turned up I had to stop the playback to take it again and be delighted

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After The War posted:

One of the great things about the 50th is that, in additional to be awesome all on its own, Five-ish Doctors Reboot served as a fantastic disinformation campaign during its production. :allears:

I still remember seeing that picture of Peter Davison protesting outside of the BBC offices out of context :xd:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I still remember seeing that picture of Peter Davison protesting outside of the BBC offices out of context :xd:

"You know they film in Cardiff, don't you?"

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1053254544182992896

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CommonShore posted:

gently caress I love that scene every time I watch it.

That scene is one of my favorite things I've ever seen on television. Every once in a while I look it up again just to smile about it again. (I also do this sometimes with 10 saving River in the library. "I'm VERY GOOD!")

I got into Doctor Who because the buildup to the 50th anniversary was this crazy media event thing that had people I knew super excited, and I loved the idea of a show that would just go for it like that. A super deep lore that it could dip into and have fun with. So I watched Matt Smith's first season, and then the 50th (because it aired right when I finished that season) and I was hooked. In hindsight, I spoiled myself, because I maintain that's the best stuff the show has ever had to offer. But I don't even care. It was pure euphoria.

Astroman posted:

I remember McGann being a shock to everyone. A movie/TV news site I go on posted the video and he was losing his mind about it, while being very careful to not say WHY he was losing his mind over it. They kept that one under wraps.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 19, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cleretic posted:

So, like that time when there were three Popes?

I don't remember this character. Which serial are they from?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Yeah, McGann was a complete surprise.

I think they probably could have kept Tom Baker under their hats, too, except that Tom himself went to an interview and more or less literally said "I'm not supposed to tell anyone that I'm in the special, but I'm telling everyone anyway: I am in the special. :D"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

They're mentioned in the one where Edmund becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, are you guys saying Hurt was a surprise in the 50th?

Because he popped up in the previous episode when Clara was in the Doctor's time stream.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Of course, now I can't find where McGann said it, but it was something more along the lines of "actually involved in the 50th in some way" than "there's going to be a minisode and Big Finish is going to be made canon, and goons will be talking about it for generations to come." And as I said, there was a lot of noise going on.

If I ever do find it, I'll share to give a taste of those crazy, crazy times.

After The War fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 19, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lucie Bleedin Miller is canon as 'ell

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

Wait, are you guys saying Hurt was a surprise in the 50th?

Because he popped up in the previous episode when Clara was in the Doctor's time stream.

No, people are talking about Hurt (or rather his role) being a surprise in that episode, "Name of the Doctor."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr0XRnv1gWM

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtfbwbjyqY

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

After The War posted:

No, people are talking about Hurt (or rather his role) being a surprise in that episode, "Name of the Doctor."

When that episode ended, my brother (who was watching it on his computer) came in to see me and asked, "So is the Doctor's real name 'John Hurt'?"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I can't believe the Doctor's name is Basil ∂³∑x²d³ᓬx² Disco

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

That's a great video and it's another reason why I get T. Baker vibes from Jodie's Doctor - she clearly loves talking with kids and doesn't treat them like they're idiots. :)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I feel like it's more likely they know it'll leak if they ever try to keep it secret, so they might as well be the ones to break the story and promote the show in the process.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After The War posted:

Of course, now I can't find where McGann said it, but it was something more along the lines of "actually involved in the 50th in some way" than "there's going to be a minisode and Big Finish is going to be made canon, and goons will be talking about it for generations to come." And as I said, there was a lot of noise going on.

If I ever do find it, I'll share to give a taste of those crazy, crazy times.

Starting around November 8th in this thread, begins with discussion about which classic Doctor actors might be able to appear in the 50th.

Jerusalem posted:

Just... give me some more televised McGann, please :smith:

Theglavwen posted:

McCoy could pull it off, I think, and so could loving McGann. Other than that though, it'd be a bad idea.

Gau posted:

The only reason McGann could get away with it is because we never saw his Doctor regenerate, he's no spring chicken. So you have, what, 7 and 8 still be their original actors and then recast the first six, while explaining to the Bakers and Davison that you've optioned out their characters on a BBC budget?

Then on November 13th:

DJ Ramshackle posted:

HOLY loving poo poo

"I'm a doctor, just not the one you were expecting"

Organza Quiz posted:

Holy gently caress holy gently caress holy gently caress

Did they just make Charlie Pollard actual real proper TV canon?

And then from page 28 it's just pure, unadulterated joy :swoon:

Locutus of Bald posted:

I stayed awake until 3:30 AM just to watch this....and it was worth every loving second.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The only thing that bugged me about "Night" was there was no Doctor Who logo in the opening credits.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

corn in the bible posted:

Listening to Jubilee and goddamn it's so loving good

Ehh it’s no shadow of the scourge

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 20, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

corn in the bible posted:

Lucie Bleedin Miller is canon as 'ell

Go on then. Let’s ‘ave a laugh.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Wibbly wobbly time wimey" has been replaced by Jeremy Berimey. They're the same thing, but Jeremy is newer.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

while we're talking about day of the doctor I just wanted to take a moment to remember how good this trailer was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRy2N2CMhQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Starting around November 8th in this thread, begins with discussion about which classic Doctor actors might be able to appear in the 50th.

Oh man, I really should get the archives upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fil5000 posted:

that dildodoctor
plz to explain