Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone have experience with Samsung pay on the gear S3? Do I need to have the phone unlocked or launch an app on the watch to use it or either? Anything about the Samsung pay experience that annoys you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

lostleaf posted:

Anyone have experience with Samsung pay on the gear S3? Do I need to have the phone unlocked or launch an app on the watch to use it or either? Anything about the Samsung pay experience that annoys you?

I'd used it a few times. Hold the back button on the watch, select which card you want to use, press 'pay' on the watch screen, and hold it to the terminal. You need to have your watch PIN locked to set up S Pay. Basically you put the pin in once when you put the watch on, and it remains 'unlocked' until you take the watch off your wrist. Worked pretty good. You don't need your phone at all.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

I'd used it a few times. Hold the back button on the watch, select which card you want to use, press 'pay' on the watch screen, and hold it to the terminal. You need to have your watch PIN locked to set up S Pay. Basically you put the pin in once when you put the watch on, and it remains 'unlocked' until you take the watch off your wrist. Worked pretty good. You don't need your phone at all.

Thanks. Do you have to press the back button every time you pay or just each time you put on the watch?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

lostleaf posted:

Thanks. Do you have to press the back button every time you pay or just each time you put on the watch?

When you put on the watch.
E: sorry yeah you hold down the back button when you want to pay, you only have to enter the pin when you first put on the watch.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So you have to hold the back button or just press it? Also how's the battery life now that you had it for a while? Thanks for the info.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

lostleaf posted:

So you have to hold the back button or just press it? Also how's the battery life now that you had it for a while? Thanks for the info.

You hold the back button until S Pay pops up. Maybe like one second. I don’t have the watch any more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Fitbit released the Charge 3, and a lot of people are upset with it. Ignoring the bunch of people that have factory defects, seems like the majority of folks is flipping their poo poo because the current watch faces don't display the drat date. :psypop:

Jesus loving Christ, glance at it somewhere, there's plenty of date displays all over the place thanks to electronic displays all of the place (car, workplace, commercial districts, random electronic panels outside), and try to use your loving memory for the rest of the day.

Regardless of that, I like my Charge 3. The actual wristband could have been softer silicone, if it were up to me. Like the band of my old Charge HR. The new one tracks close enough to my chest HR, contrary to continuous assertions that Fitbit trackers are poo poo, to be plenty satisfied with it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Fitbit released the Charge 3, and a lot of people are upset with it. Ignoring the bunch of people that have factory defects, seems like the majority of folks is flipping their poo poo because the current watch faces don't display the drat date. :psypop:

Jesus loving Christ, glance at it somewhere, there's plenty of date displays all over the place thanks to electronic displays all of the place (car, workplace, commercial districts, random electronic panels outside), and try to use your loving memory for the rest of the day.

Regardless of that, I like my Charge 3. The actual wristband could have been softer silicone, if it were up to me. Like the band of my old Charge HR. The new one tracks close enough to my chest HR, contrary to continuous assertions that Fitbit trackers are poo poo, to be plenty satisfied with it.

I mean, while I don't think it's worth getting upset over, it's not unreasonable to want your watch to show you the date.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats why I always kept coming back to this watch face. Just for pure practicality and functionality, it cant be beat

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, while I don't think it's worth getting upset over, it's not unreasonable to want your watch to show you the date.
Sure, I get the idea. But a lot of people are being dramatic as hell about it. I don't know how things are with the Charge 2, but on the 3, the watch faces are downloaded by the Fitbit app the first time you use them (and probably updated from there on). So it should be fixable without a firmware update. --edit: Of course, Fitbit, so expectations and all that...

Also, how were third party bands for the Charge 2 on average? I see a bunch of clones of the sports band for the Charge 3 for cheap.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 11, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sure, I get the idea. But a lot of people are being dramatic as hell about it. I don't know how things are with the Charge 2, but on the 3, the watch faces are downloaded by the Fitbit app the first time you use them (and probably updated from there on). So it should be fixable without a firmware update. --edit: Of course, Fitbit, so expectations and all that...

Also, how were third party bands for the Charge 2 on average? I see a bunch of clones of the sports band for the Charge 3 for cheap.

Definitely not worth getting mad about yeah. I do want the date on my watch, hope that's a quick fix. How is fitbit about updates?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure. I had a Charge HR before, so it wasn't exactly feature laden to begin with. But it received quite a couple of firmware updates over its lifetime.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
From what I've seen (user reviews, forums), people are mad about the Charge 3 because it's inaccurate as hell. Something like 20+ bpm during exercise and it apparently can't handle HIIT at all.
I don't care about step count, but there are also multiple reports of it counting thousands of steps and dozens of flights of stairs while driving a car.
Sleep tracking seems iffy as well.

I was really looking forward to replace my decade-old Polar and was set on the Charge 3, but it (and wrist-based trackers in general) seem way too unreliable.

seravid fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 11, 2018

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, my job is very deadline specific and subject to audits so I’m looking at the date on my watch constantly.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure. I had a Charge HR before, so it wasn't exactly feature laden to begin with. But it received quite a couple of firmware updates over its lifetime.

I have a Charge 2 and at least one face has the date so I can understand some frustration at a (temporary?) loss of functionality.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is there a simple and quick way to completely toggle a Bluetooth device on Android on/off?

I've had a Charge 2 and I liked it a lot BUT if I have the thing synced with my phone, then my Bluetooth audio to my car gets obliterated so bad I can't use it for music at all. The audio quality completely shits itself. If I go into Fitbit and forget (uninstall) the device then it fixes it. I've also tried with a Nokia/Withings watch and had the same result, I have to totally uninstall the watch from my phone to restore listenable car Bluetooth. A soon as I go through the steps to divorce the two devices then my car audio sounds fine again.

Is there an app or a hack or something that can toggle the connection between my phone and a Bluetooth fitness watch? I want to go from "all-day sync" to "my phone has never heard of this wrist device" with the touch of a button.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is there anywhere that has the Samsung Galaxy watch on display? I want to try to two sizes before I choose.

I tried a T-Mobile and Best Buy but have struck out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

seravid posted:

From what I've seen (user reviews, forums), people are mad about the Charge 3 because it's inaccurate as hell. Something like 20+ bpm during exercise and it apparently can't handle HIIT at all.
I don't care about step count, but there are also multiple reports of it counting thousands of steps and dozens of flights of stairs while driving a car.
Sleep tracking seems iffy as well.
Never seen those issues. It may count some stray steps, since it's a wristband, so some arm motions may be tracked as steps, and some vibrations, like a car, will too. I haven't had any of such huge inaccuracies, tho. Not with the Charge HR, not yet with this one. I went running twice with it, it tracks very close to the chest HR I use. For now. None of that 20 bpm difference. I don't do HIIT (yet?), so I don't know. Someone on their forums did a test and found it inaccurate. Eventually someone else posted a counter example (both of them posted graphs). Personally, when I stop during a run, it notices the heart rate drop quickly.

YMMV I guess.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Guess I'll see for myself; ordered one today. Hopefully, the O2 sensor gets activated before the 30-day return period ends (early November, was it?).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Beta test with select users from US, UK and Australia.

--edit:
Maybe everyone after all.

quote:

Looking to enroll in the Fitbit Labs Sleep Score beta? Hang tight! The beta program will be open to enrollment for a limited time to Fitbit users in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia starting in November 2018.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 12, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What’s a good fitness tracker? I bought the Apple Watch for its ability to do the strong app but it’s a really underwhelming device. Also I think I’m gonna smash it with kettlebells or barbells or in wrestling.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hard to say. If you check the Fitbit forums, their devices are terrible. If you check the Garmin forums, their trackers are terrible. At least the cheaper ones, you could still go for a 600 dollar Garmin Fenix 5X. Same story with visual reviews. There's plenty of trackers from weird Chinese labels, whatever they are worth.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I've honestly resigned myself to getting an apple watch and using it in conjunction with my work iPhone. Might also be able to jump on the "free" watch from the new Healthcare provider we are switching to for 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

barkbell posted:

What’s a good fitness tracker? I bought the Apple Watch for its ability to do the strong app but it’s a really underwhelming device. Also I think I’m gonna smash it with kettlebells or barbells or in wrestling.

Something like the Garmin Vivoactive 3 (which I personally prefer and recommend) or the Fitbit Versa are both cheap options that woudl be a great entry into the non-Apple/Wear OS world.

couldcareless posted:

Might also be able to jump on the "free" watch from the new Healthcare provider we are switching to for 2019

uh what

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There's a handful of providers that will lease you a watch and by meeting daily goals, slowly pay it off. I haven't had much time to read the fine print, I'll probably dig more into it once we get the paperwork for it in late december/January.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

barkbell posted:

I've had a gear fit 2 pro for nearly a year, I like it an it seems pretty accurate.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

There's a handful of providers that will lease you a watch and by meeting daily goals, slowly pay it off. I haven't had much time to read the fine print, I'll probably dig more into it once we get the paperwork for it in late december/January.

Aren't health providers trying to add clauses where they can deny you coverage if you don't use a fitness tracker/meet activity goals? Not to mention they are probably using aggregated user data to justify increasing costs overall

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'd expect them to just raise everyone's healthcare cost and then offer an "incentive" to wear a device.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Then they will sell the user data to some other company to increase revenue, then have a massive breach exposing health data of millions of people, etc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Then they will sell the user data to some other company to increase revenue, then have a massive breach exposing health data of millions of people, etc

Ah, I see you work in infosec and know to expect the worst :v:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The answer is probably yes to all of the above

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Got a Charge 3 as my first fitbit. Waited a month, preordered (got $30 off through an insurance program code), took them a drat week past release to ship it. (Ship things in advance so you get it on release day guys, c'mon.)

Screen broken right out of the box, straight from Fitbit. Three days to get support to admit it's broken and a reset won't fix it. Now a week in transit back to them, and probably a week back.

I didn't get the special edition because I didn't want to wait another month...

Also really annoyed with the watchface selection because of the date. But I'm just going to keep wearing my Casio on my other wrist and call it good. No need to attempt to wake that up to get the drat time.

Otherwise it seemed nice for the day I used it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My buddy's wife was telling me how her fitbit recently fell to pieces, literally while on a trip. Is everything they make junk, or just pointless?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Glad I held off and didn't get the Fitbit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

codo27 posted:

My buddy's wife was telling me how her fitbit recently fell to pieces, literally while on a trip. Is everything they make junk, or just pointless?
This past summer Best Buy stopped offering their protection plan for all fitbits, if that's any indication.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Fitbit's support sounds terrible, glad I purchased my Charge 3 from Amazon. I'm actually pleased with the build quality; even the clip mechanism looks solid, but it is my first Fitbit (first smartwatch-like device, too) and I've only been using it for four days. The software side of things is a bit of a mixed bag, so I'm not even sure if I'm keeping it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

codo27 posted:

They’ve managed to introduce a terrible flaw into almost every one of their devices (it’s a different one every time to be fair).

I still keep buying them though, so I guess jokes on me. At least I waited on the Ionic until they put out the first big software update.

I want something that is cross platform and not terrible.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

seravid posted:

Fitbit's support sounds terrible.

I've been wearing Fitbits for 5 years now, and all my interactions with them have been good. Our very first fitbit (the original Flex) fell off and was lost a week after buying it, and they replaced it for free. Then I had a Force which was recalled, so they refunded all my money for that, even though I'd had it a year. Husband lost another Flex, they sent us another new one. I bought a Charge 2 nine months ago and the screen mysteriously cracked last month. I got on chat with them, they had me take a photo of it and send it in the chat and immediately shipped a replacement.

I would say they definitely do have a new and exciting flaw with each new device, but overall I've been pretty happy with them. But then again we get insurance "incentives" to wear them, so I can earn back more than they cost me to buy. Maybe I would be more irritated with them if all of the money were coming out of my own pocket.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The newest Charge definitely depends more on the tight fit when exercising than the older models. I blame reducing the amount of LEDs (from two to one) for this. Other manufacturers seem to be upping the LED and even light sensor count instead to get a more reliable reading. Fitbit should have kept the second LED instead of trying to go maximum battery lifetime. A sensible way to keep it charged is to hook it up every time you shower/bathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of accuracy, are there really no elastic armbands for these trackers? The Charge 3 is new, I get it, but I couldn't find any even for the Charge 2 (or any other model). Dedicated optical hear-rate monitors all use armbands, seems like the easiest way to increase accuracy on these trackers. Fitbit clearly agrees with this theory:

...except it's pretty awkward to wear a regular watch bracelet like this. It keeps slipping down unless I tighten it to an uncomfortable level. Either way, while the Charge 3's HR tracking is good at rest or on a run, it seems incapable of detecting sudden HR increases while working out. Whatever the actual bpm I'm at during and immediately after a set, the tracker will be 15~25 below. By the time it catches up (about 20 seconds), I'm already recovering. This is a deal-breaker, hence my question about armbands, but maybe I'm expecting too much of optical monitors?

Since we're here, some other thoughts:

- Surprised to see walking to town (1 Km) count as exercises. Guess I'm not the target demographic for this product...

- daily step count is ridiculous. I guess it wouldn't be more than a neat stat even if it was accurate, but it's really, really not. Driving, eating, doing the dishes... all counts as hundreds of steps, which means the daily distance is also completely off.

- getting notifications on my wrist is cool and actually useful. I used to think smartwatches were gimmicky, but I'm a convert now. Kinda wish I bought the Versa for the larger color screen, but I don't like square watches and every youtube video shows its UI is janky as hell anyway, so...

- I really like the sleep tracking feature. Can't be sure about its overall accuracy, but the awake stages are spot-on. It's made me more conscious about how much sleep I'm actually getting.

- The Charge 3 also got me to start doing cardio to see if I can improve my VO2 Max and resting HR. It's been an old goal of mine ever since I got my Polar FT7M, but I could never get past the "I should start doing cardio. Eh, maybe tomorrow" phase.

- I'm still testing Connected GPS. Getting pretty wonky routes right now, sometimes going inside buildings, the middle of the road and whatnot. Apparently that's not the Charge's fault, though, as MapMyRun and Google Fit are showing me the same thing. Didn't think I'd have this issue on a OG Pixel XL.