Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
even in ~innovative~ startup land, tons of private enterprise is just last-mile profit sucking for things that have been developed by public money for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wiki already started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_fertilization

single-digits tons of powdered iron bought, iirc. this dude bought like 100 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_George

e: might need silicic acid too

gently caress, beaten

also holy poo poo, the Azolla event is insane

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
full disclosure: big hydrogen pays my salary

the driver for adoption of fuel cell vehicles is going to be fleets of buses or short-haul trucks. something needs to drive infrastructure investments and volume production of fuel cell systems, and the math is real bad for a commuter vehicle. a fcev bus is a bigger upfront investment than a bev bus, but refueling is much quicker and if you go with a end-of-route quickcharge solution for the batteries, has route flexibility. another big investment for a fcev vehicle is the filling station infrastructure, which can be installed in a bus depot far easier then at every gas station.
for the green profile and better long term fuel costs, install a electrolysis next to the fueling station and run it at night off cheap wind and hydro power.

sadly, usa outside california is a wasteland for alternative fuels, due to distances, weak public transit authorities and the political situation, the euros and particularly norway is where its happening. norwegians want hydrogen-everything, and they've got cash to spare. the european union development agencies are pushing as well, mostly for broadly green policies and not specific fuel cell solutions, but rising tide all boats etc.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Truga posted:

how are hydrogen cells faring compared to batteries these days anyway?

biofuel would require insane amounts of fertilizer i thought? we're going to peak on phosphorous in less than 30 years at current rate just for food, i don't think adding biodiesel into the mix will do us any good

the whole point is that you grow switchgrass as the feedstock because it gives zero fucks about where it grows and then some magic bacteria we haven't invented yet breaks the cellulose down in to alcohol or whatever

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

after all if there's one thing corporations are good at it's long-term planning and investing in things that won't pay off for a decade or more

1. energy companies definitely do invest in poo poo that won't pay off for decades, way moreso than typical corps
2. governments fund basic research in sectors they care about, and energy is a sector every government on the planet cares about. the US or some other government might not fund something bc of lobbyists or whatever, but if nobody is doing it, there's probably a good reason

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

remember when elon boasted that his self driving cars would be built by robots that move faster than the eye can see

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Roosevelt posted:

remember when elon boasted that his self driving cars would be built by robots that move faster than the eye can see

the motion of robots in a stopped factory also cannot be seen by the human eye

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Roosevelt posted:

i remember when he said teslas would be upgraded to full autonomous mode

Tesla quietly drops “full self-driving” option as it adds $45,000 Model 3

One that's missing—from all new Tesla orders, not just the Model 3—is the controversial "full self-driving" option. The reason? It was "causing too much confusion," Musk tweeted.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

It was "causing too much confusion," Musk tweeted.

"People were expecting "full self-drive" to mean the car would fully drive itself, which makes no sense."

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gschmidl posted:

"People were expecting "full self-drive" to mean the car would fully drive itself, which makes no sense."

*orange not included

mystes
May 31, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Isn't that what it actually meant except that it was pure vaporware that Tesla was charging $5,000 for?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, and :thejoke:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are there any concepts how an economy could safely dispose of and recycle EV batteries?

vending machines at stadiums in Philadelphia

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

1. energy companies definitely do invest in poo poo that won't pay off for decades, way moreso than typical corps
2. governments fund basic research in sectors they care about, and energy is a sector every government on the planet cares about. the US or some other government might not fund something bc of lobbyists or whatever, but if nobody is doing it, there's probably a good reason

I'll second this. I'm a biogeochemist, so this is my only chance to be useful to these forums.

While politicians and top level appointed officials make broad spending decisions, they very rarely get involved with individual grant programs. It feels like there has been more 'influence' in research direction by non-scientists lately, but I still think the bigger detriments have been really broadly cut or stagnant funding for departments they don't like. (and delays from them being unable to pass a budget) Energy research is a staggeringly large field and one of the better funded though. It is one of the few I'm familiar with where they get actual significant corporate money for basic science. Not that oil companies aren't evil, but they know an opportunity when they see one. People are working on a lot of different avenues with biofuels. Plus, biosynthesis of different chemicals (like the ones we use for plastic production) is kind of a hot topic itself and is intimately related.

As for iron fertilization, scientists are very cautious on this and other bio- / geo-engineering projects. It is really hard to figure out all the consequences of doing something like this on a large scale or continuously. What exactly will grow? Will its behavior in a fertilized system be similar to its natural behavior? How will the ecosystem respond? How will this effect ocean nutrient and carbon cycling? Ocean oxygen? Once you hit go one these sorts of things, you can't usually unwind the effects. Iron fertilization seems to be looked at a bit more hopefully than many projects, (lol @ spraying aerosols into the upper atmosphere or building a giant space parasol) but it is still something that instinctively inspires a bit of fear. No one wants to be viewed in the same light that we now view the people who brought mongoose to Hawaii. The opinion I usually see is that maybe we shouldn't waste so much and should focus on smaller, more contained energy solutions rather than altering the planet unless absolutely necessary.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

do any EV makers actively cool the battery? I'm guessing not but figured I might as well ask
what do you mean actively? most pure EVs have a water cooling setup with a heat exchanger.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
here's a fun upbeat article about trump's department of energy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

also man is that a goofy-lookin' submarine:

toot toot, here comes a special boy
You'd think so but those things are real loving quiet, and can put a 6-spread of 533 torps in the water in a hurry.

That one weird trick CSGs hate.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
exxon currently funds university research developing new algorithms for sonar signal processing, in order to improve future oil and gas exploration. (they also did a bunch of groundbreaking climate research in the 70s purely to understand the scope of the problem they were complicit in, then decided the best thing to do was to bury it and fund quack science as PR)

MrAptronym posted:

No one wants to be viewed in the same light that we now view the people who brought mongoose to Hawaii.

or that one chemist who invented both leaded gasoline and CFCs

mystes
May 31, 2006

or that one chemist who invented both leaded gasoline and CFCs
This makes me feel a lot better about by existence not having any impact on the world.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ballaban/status/1053405149224415236

good poo poo

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the whole point is that you grow switchgrass as the feedstock because it gives zero fucks about where it grows and then some magic bacteria we haven't invented yet breaks the cellulose down in to alcohol or whatever

got it. so with a bit of wishful thinking we can easily solve climate change

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is worth a read

quote:

Behind his back, employees turned to a method pioneered by Toyota, known as "kanban," to solve their problems. In its simplest form, workers using "kanbans" put up workflow charts, schedules and cards around a production line to help keep track of items they have and items they need.

In this case, workers took all the parts out of the boxes around the Model X line, arranged the parts with a clear sequence and labels, and put the parts back into the boxes. If one part was out of sequence or damaged, they'd remove a card and leave it in a box or bag to let the supply team know what needed to be replenished.

The cards helped the teams reduce the clutter, keep a small stock of spares nearby, and find the right parts quickly.

But because kanbans were pioneered by Toyota, workers thought they had to hide their kanban cards from Musk during his visits to the factory. Half a dozen current and former Tesla workers say that supervisors in Fremont warned them that if Musk discovered kanban cards posted around their work areas, they were in danger of being fired.
E;

quote:

Workers said detailed invoices are hard to find in the WARP system, which does not allow for easy searches. One said he thought he was within budget and found nearly $1 million in charges had been invoiced to his team's project by unknown colleagues. They were now over budget, but he couldn't find out why or who was responsible.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MrAptronym posted:

The opinion I usually see is that maybe we shouldn't waste so much and should focus on smaller, more contained energy solutions rather than altering the planet unless absolutely necessary.

i mean we've already got a bunch of guaranteed warming that's gonna gently caress poo poo up real bad regardless of what else we do energy-wise and it'd be better to start these programs now so we know how they behave (and can stop them or switch to something else if necessary) rather than doing them at the last minute out of desperation once we're out of other options only to find out that sure it cooled stuff down but also the ocean is made of lava now for some reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

this is worth a read

E;

holy goddamn gently caress.

did he think he was running a lemonade stand or something? how is it even worse than all the worst case assumptions we've made?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

quote:

He adds, "The question is will this put your people at risk, or will you have enough time and money to weather the inevitable failures?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

this is worth a read

E;
They can't use anything by Toyota but they literally stole the name of Toyota's purchasing system (WARP) for their own lovely in-house purchasing system.

They should have just called it WHEEL since that's apparently what they like too reinvent poorly.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2018

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

i mean we've already got a bunch of guaranteed warming that's gonna gently caress poo poo up real bad regardless of what else we do energy-wise and it'd be better to start these programs now so we know how they behave (and can stop them or switch to something else if necessary) rather than doing them at the last minute out of desperation once we're out of other options only to find out that sure it cooled stuff down but also the ocean is made of lava now for some reason

climate engineering earth is too hard, let's just colonize mars

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

mystes posted:

They can't use anything by Toyota but they literally stole the name of Toyota's purchasing system (WARP) for their own lovely in-house purchasing system.

Reminder that Musk specifically name-dropped Toyota and claimed he'd school them in lean manufacturing.

This story is incredibly believable because using a Toyota system after poo poo-talking Toyota is just the sort of thing a narcissist couldn't handle.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

qirex posted:

this is worth a read

E;

kahnbahn is very silicon valley tho. it took them 30 years to learn it from toyato, but its there now

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

KoRMaK posted:

kahnbahn is very silicon valley tho. it took them 30 years to learn it from toyato, but its there now

idk it sounds like they were actually using kanban in a way that was useful to them the workers, tracking what parts they have/need, with cards representing physical objects and simplifying their organization, rather than the silly con valley way of having a whiteboard or jira shiteboard that shows stories moving from in progress to qa to complete, which executives can look at rather than having to think for 5 seconds

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
kahnbahn more like should ban

mystes
May 31, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

It sounds like they are actually using the term how toyota uses it rather than the completely different ways it has been recycled to sell unrelated software development methodologies. However I hate the use of the word "kanban" in English.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if your story doesn't fit the jira workflow then you can't put it in jira and therefore you can't work on it because it's not in jira!!!!11

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sorry, I didn't trust the one on their website to be accurate to the one people sign.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 20, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if your story doesn't fit the jira workflow then you can't put it in jira and therefore you can't work on it because it's not in jira!!!!11

cargo culting agile because "it's how modern software companies work" but then just doing whatever the person in authority wants owns bones*

*if you want everyone to hate your lack of process and all the good people to leave

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

who was the yosposter a couple years ago who was complaining about their company cargo-culting "agile" and now their weekly hour-long all-hands meetings were done standing up

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
really rules out very few of the programming-type cjs

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I want some anthropologist-turned-software dev to document all the magical thinking and rituals endemic to these hosed industries

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sagebrush posted:

who was the yosposter a couple years ago who was complaining about their company cargo-culting "agile" and now their weekly hour-long all-hands meetings were done standing up

all of us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I never got past the part where upper management makes a ton of noise about implementing a management technique but then it dies on the vine because they don’t allow anyone time to work on it