Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Expensive custom software and production = Affordable car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

at my place, in the dev section we do kanban/lean and its evolved from agile scrum days

company wide, we do TEAL and EOS..... look up some of that poo poo lol

luckly my company is full of people that get rid of bullshit ideas so our implementations are actually pretty useful imo. meetings are facilitied really sharply so we dont get off topic barely at all and they all end exactly on time. well, the main ones that are weekly, the L10s. its kinda nice. this then sets up a culture all around about meetings where we stay on topic more often and end on time

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

who was the yosposter a couple years ago who was complaining about their company cargo-culting "agile" and now their weekly hour-long all-hands meetings were done standing up

me lol, that was my old job though i think.

they actually tried something similar at the current job and it lasted like a week before everyone was just like "yeah no gently caress this"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my old boss used to talk about his previous job where everything required documentation and design and paperwork and approval before work on the programming could even begin and you'd work on one small project for 6 months straight as a result because everything moved glacially slow and for some reason this was a bad thing to him

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Pretend that we completely defined this process, but also helpinh us to figure out these gaps is everyone's responsibility, but also just do whatever we tell you, but also figure out how you're supposed to deliver on project obligations

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

mystes posted:

They should have just called it WHEEL since that's apparently what they like too reinvent poorly.

:drat:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
we have a daily department head meeting where the head of maintenance lists all assets they handled in the day and what they did

so poo poo like “548-34, 2k hours preventative, CM664, replaced wiper, PP867, down waiting for part, 320-BM, recalibrated main widget...”

we have twelve departments, and we’re all expected to do this

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

it has nothing to do with this thread I just felt triggered into venting

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Maritime mismanagement: similar to and different from computer mismanagement

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the more we manage, the more we stay the same

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

prisoner of waffles posted:

Pretend that we completely defined this process, but also helpinh us to figure out these gaps is everyone's responsibility, but also just do whatever we tell you, but also figure out how you're supposed to deliver on project obligations

too real

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

FrozenVent posted:

I never got past the part where upper management makes a ton of noise about implementing a management technique but then it dies on the vine because they don’t allow anyone time to work on it

ahhhhHhhhhhHhHhhHhhHhHh

“and why is project management a rotating door???”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

for this implementation to succeed we need you to work four hours a day on it

but your priority is production

oh and the go-live is July 1st because that’s what the ceo said, no it doesn’t have any relation to how ready we’ll be or our fiscal cycle or operations

look just run operations in the old system and re-enter everything in the new system

no you can’t have more people

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

my old boss used to talk about his previous job where everything required documentation and design and paperwork and approval before work on the programming could even begin and you'd work on one small project for 6 months straight as a result because everything moved glacially slow and for some reason this was a bad thing to him

one place I spent like three hours optimizing a query and some data structures and then thirty-seven writing the fan fiction and running the meetings about it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a 12:1 ratio of paperwork is maybe a bit high but let's not get too carried away in the other direction ok

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

that isn’t generally a culture that leads to good results, no. you do this long design and approval process and then you run into reality same as everyone else. meanwhile efforts to e.g. upgrade the test infrastructure to not be based on grepping for specific strings in 20 megabytes of poorly-ordered log files would also go through the same design review process and so never actually happen

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

eschaton posted:

as the bougie gently caress that I am, I’m starting to look at maybe getting a new car, and I’d like an electric

the Audi e-tron quattro just became available: base price $75K (sans electric vehicle incentives), 95KWh battery, two-motor 4wd, and designed by an actual luxury carmaker

the only thing I don’t like is that it’s only available in SUV form slightly larger than the Q5, I’d prefer another sedan to replace my A6, or ideally an electric allroad wagon

as far as costs go,

http://carboncounter.com/

shows lifetime average CO2, inc production. there are a lot of params under 'customization'

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 20, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

that isn’t generally a culture that leads to good results, no. you do this long design and approval process and then you run into reality same as everyone else. meanwhile efforts to e.g. upgrade the test infrastructure to not be based on grepping for specific strings in 20 megabytes of poorly-ordered log files would also go through the same design review process and so never actually happen

the good result is the long process (enforced by regulatory bodies) meant they budgeted tons of time to everything and their customers had to accept it because regulations and so he actually worked 9 to 5 days without having to work weekends so no i still think it's better

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

the good result is the long process (enforced by regulatory bodies) meant they budgeted tons of time to everything and their customers had to accept it because regulations and so he actually worked 9 to 5 days without having to work weekends so no i still think it's better

I'll take false dichotomy for 1000 Alex.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xarn posted:

I'll take false dichotomy for 1000 Alex.

feel free to link an example of a better process that requires thorough design and review steps and long budgets for development times then

i'll wait

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Because without spending a year up-front on a plan that won't survive the first contact with reality, we just cannot, cannot I tell you, work 9 to 5.

----edit----

A bit less flippantly, have you actually worked in regulation heavy field, like medical devices? I have, and the process you seem to idolize wasn't aimed at better outcomes for patients. It is aimed at covering company's rear end from being sued by performative due diligence. Process improvements (like better testing strategies) that are not useful for rear end-coverage are ignored, even if they would lead to a better and safer end product.

----edit2----

Oh and overtime was totally a thing.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 20, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
yes, we all know that computers are irredeemable garbage

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"how long will this take?"
"idk, maybe a week?"
"oh my, oh no, that is way too expensive, the client will never pay for that"
"acknowledged, will continue to do 'maintenance' i.e. nothing"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

we have a daily department head meeting where the head of maintenance lists all assets they handled in the day and what they did

so poo poo like “548-34, 2k hours preventative, CM664, replaced wiper, PP867, down waiting for part, 320-BM, recalibrated main widget...”

we have twelve departments, and we’re all expected to do this

this is similar to how material condition things in the navy get handled, especially in shipyard and drydock availabilities. when you’re dealing with breaking down and rebuilding something so massive it’s necessary to breakdown the specifics at the lowest level and keep the highest level aware of general condition of most things while giving an opportunity to highlight critical issues.

during an availability my day in engineering would start at 5-6am depending on how on schedule we were. the first meeting would be the department on the flight deck for muster and any general word from the overnight team to pass down. next leadership would break off with their divisions to asses anything that needs to be brought up with the shipyard team. the sailors then get to work with contractors and the khakis then go meet with shipyard team leads for daily briefing. once things are done with shipyard brief, get to work on any issues (typically part requisitions) and assist my specific team members in any way i can. after lunch have command wide brief where captain/xo are brought up on general progress and any specific issues. afterwards finish up work and hand off end of day info to daily duty department head so they can brief XO on progress at the end of the day.

there are a lot of briefings, but at the end of the day all of those meetings are necessary for a good chunk of the people present. there’s no need to discuss minor discrepancies, but these things help make sure major problems are well known and being fixed.

doing all of that for software development seems like major overkill.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

only because the stakes are so low. garbage process makes for garbage product, but no one cares how bugridden your burp and fart soundboard app, or office suite, or whatever is

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1053390822991790083

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"268K people are talking about this."

Kill me.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
i think its more of the suffering on aleksey, connie, myself, and everyone elses end while tim has sex with an unlimited amount of sentinels all day long -for free-

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol elon couldn't afford to buy epic right now

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

there are a lot of briefings, but at the end of the day all of those meetings are necessary for a good chunk of the people present. there’s no need to discuss minor discrepancies, but these things help make sure major problems are well known and being fixed.

yeah, if you’re managing a team that works in extremely tight coordination with multiple other teams (in this case because you’re literally working on the same physical things) and your day-to-day progress is of enough importance to upper management that they need to be ready to jump in to fix conflicts as soon as they come up, it’s useful to have a lot of daily meetings. like you had a couple peer meetings (previous shift, shipyard, next shift) and a down-meeting (team status) and an up-meeting (xo/captain briefing). all of those have clear purposes and seem totally reasonable

when orgs get stifled with process it’s usually because there are a lot of steps with vague, aspirational purpose, or which are happening with much more granularity than is useful

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'd say "thanks, elon" unironically for this

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

rjmccall posted:

when orgs get stifled with process it’s usually because there are a lot of steps with vague, aspirational purpose, or which are happening with much more granularity than is useful

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Ciaphas posted:

i'd say "thanks, elon" unironically for this

Elon thinks it looks cool but it just clarifies that he's An Old

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

i honestly thought most any car over US$100k or so was going to be a bit of a mess unless it was like a luxury car like a Jag or Bentley or something (and I'm sure their reputation in my head is as undeserved as Tesla's was)

most luxury cars are total buckets of poo poo, because rich people love toys and aesthetics more than they care about reliability

p.s. bentley is a VW product, and rolls royce is from BMW

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

this is similar to how material condition things in the navy get handled, especially in shipyard and drydock availabilities. when you’re dealing with breaking down and rebuilding something so massive it’s necessary to breakdown the specifics at the lowest level and keep the highest level aware of general condition of most things while giving an opportunity to highlight critical issues.

during an availability my day in engineering would start at 5-6am depending on how on schedule we were. the first meeting would be the department on the flight deck for muster and any general word from the overnight team to pass down. next leadership would break off with their divisions to asses anything that needs to be brought up with the shipyard team. the sailors then get to work with contractors and the khakis then go meet with shipyard team leads for daily briefing. once things are done with shipyard brief, get to work on any issues (typically part requisitions) and assist my specific team members in any way i can. after lunch have command wide brief where captain/xo are brought up on general progress and any specific issues. afterwards finish up work and hand off end of day info to daily duty department head so they can brief XO on progress at the end of the day.

this is more like an admiral getting briefed about all the little problems in operational ships across a fleet, not “oh USS Dingleberry busted a prop shaft”, more like “seaman schmuckatelli changed the starboard side light on USS Poopscoop”.

what you describe makes way too much sense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

most luxury cars are total buckets of poo poo, because rich people love toys and aesthetics more than they care about reliability

and jag had a reputation for catching fire more frequently than they got oil changes

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

that quote sounds like something a pedophile would say

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

creationist believer posted:

that quote sounds like something a pedophile would say

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

and jag had a reputation for catching fire more frequently than they got oil changes

why would you ever change the oil in a jag?

just top it up once a week, you should cycle out all the old oil in a month or so ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

This is true sadly. Most luxurious cars don't die the mechanical death tho, they just have an insane value depriciation and a lot of delicate luxury, automation and infotainment systems that like to break and cost ludicrous money to replace. Also they are usually very heavy and will wear out suspension bushings, which are also expensive to replace.

If you find a good one second hand though, you can have a fast, comfortable and "premium" car for little money.

I would always go for the least amount of automated and electrified features possible in a car (if the engine you want allows that trim set).

Side note, I just replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils in my 91 BMW and the thing is likely good for another 150k km before I have to overhaul the Powertrain (which I'm looking forward to because I can swap in a 3L crankshaft and some wide angle cams and maybe ITBs) and while I drive it the car actually becomes more and more valuable. Ironic if I think about it