Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

I do know that CnC gave slaves and Clan Rats this ability that is like regeneration;so long as they aren't shattered the units will automatically spawn more ratmen in the unit.

This is very effective in the meat grinders you go though in CnC, and like a lot of things benefits the AI much more than a hypothetical Skaven player, because they'll always be sitting at an economical advantage.

That explains so much.

The skaven were my first campaign in the mod and it was super fun compared to vanilla, but every time I've fought them it's been a drat slog.

E: to be fair it's a nice change from them being useless pushovers, but it could use tweaking.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MisterEff posted:

I'm trying out Choice & Consequence for the first time as Isabella, and I'm getting absolutely slaughtered by the dwarves. My armies can't go toe-to-toe with them at all, and since they seemed to have instantly steamrolled the Greenskins, they have a massive empire that can just throw wave after wave at me. Is there any advantage Vampires can get over them?

Without AP against armored units AR will always heavily, heavily heavily favor armored units. If you have 15 AP+5 non-AP units vs 20 armored units, AR is gonna think it's basically 15 vs 20.

Your best bet as vampires is to run multiple stacks for obvious reasons and only bring AP units against dwarfs-- shields or not. They have a lot of trouble with dogs and bats if you manually fight them, since the shooters/artillery ain't very good at fighting even if they'll eventually win they aren't shooting arrows. Cavalry is very, very important as well as monsters of the Varg variety. Also, magic that cuts through armor like WoD.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jokes posted:

I confess I don't know TES lore much because every time I start to learn a bit about it I start to yawn and end up not caring. Like, it seems needlessly convoluted and complicated.

Isn't the lore of TES ultimately just a stupid joke about you playing a computer game anyway?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Beamed posted:

Please never stop posting :allears:

thanks homie!

to continue on the chaos dwarfs, i think one of their strongest attributes is their trains:

they have steam engines which can hook up to their artillery cars and pull them around. i think the steam engines have demons in them instead of regular fire, because chaos. I dont know how this would work in total war, it seems like it would be complicated to make multiple units join up for a movespeed buff or something. maybe they could use the same code as the battering rams do now, idk.

the origin story of the chaos dwarfs starts long ago, when intrepid dwarfs made their way east until they found a place called 'The Great Skull Land' on account of there being a lot of skulls all over the place. Yes really. there were a lot of minerals there, but the troubling amount of skulls made most dwarfs want to leave, until only the crazy stubborn dwarfs were left. it got to a point where they were being so unreasonable about wanting to live in the skull town that the other dwarfs, and then eventually the dwarf gods, abandoned the stubborn dwarfs.

also they were getting chaos tainted the whole time

luckily for them the GIANT BULL GOD Hashut got involved. I guess he just lived in the skull realm? Anyway he helped them out by uuuh making them mutate into bull centaurs and minotaurs sometimes? He has his own lore of magic but I dont know whats involved in it, probably fire.

the chaos dwarfs have their own version of slayers, the infernal guard, who are disgraced guys who hammer red hot masks of iron onto their face and wear cool armour. They have combination gun-axes so they can shoot guys and then chop guys. Unlike slayers, its not a death sentence, if they prove to be bad enough dudes they can take off their masks and go back to being normal dudes.

they used to look cool like this:

now they look stupid like this:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

does anyone know if there is a choice and consequences mod for WH1? I wanna play with those characters but can't bear Mortal Empires turn times

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That explains so much.

The skaven were my first campaign in the mod and it was super fun compared to vanilla, but every time I've fought them it's been a drat slog.

E: to be fair it's a nice change from them being useless pushovers, but it could use tweaking.

Yeah they're fun to play as because in close games it really comes down to the Skaven player making smart decisions. Queek makes clan Rats decent, they get tons of permanent summons, Rat Ogres hit like trucks, etc.

Then you play against them and your 800 Wood Elves are defending GCCM Swamp Town against TEN THOUSAND goddamn Rats and not even trash Rats but mostly poison gutter runners and Plague Monks, ugh.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The key to beating dawi is meat shields and flanking. When you attack from the flank you halve melee defense, from the rear you also get a melee attack bonus. Just use meat shields to pin them then flank with another unit, use your high mass units to focus on 1 unit at a time then get a fast unit to chase them once they route so they don't come back. They don't have really high MA or weapon strength so even chaff will last awhile against them. Also don't ever shoot arrows at them from the front, pin and pivot your archers to shoot them from the side so no shields.

Dawi are the slowest faction with no mobility if you're engaging them in a static slog then its your fault that you lose.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I might just quit CnC. I tried a second run as Malekith and still got pushed back to just Naggarond before even getting the whole first province. Maybe I suck but the buff garrisons + increased upkeep just make certain starts an unfun pain. Between revolts and the skaven and the norscans it's just full stacks coming every turn to gently caress you, and it's not just unfun but bad for blood pressure to get kills that are listed on the end screen as "2...." and still lose because they can just come back for more every turn.

It seems like rn the chaffy factions have way too good leadership and killing power to be chaff, so even if the elite factions can mow them down in the thousands it doesn't matter. Having done skaven, orcs, and norsca compared to dark elves and lizards, this also makes the chaff factions pretty loving easy.

You just drive over everything with unlimited poo poo and choose the lords that have nuke spells.

It sucks cuz the other half of the time it feels really good and desperately holding out against a rat horde, or using one, is super fun. But then you get another rat horde 2 turns later but if you try to attack in the mean time then oops there's also a defensive horde and a garrison with T5 units hanging out in the start fodder factions lv 2 minor settlement.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 20, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

oh my god I cried laughing

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

MisterEff posted:

I'm trying out Choice & Consequence for the first time as Isabella, and I'm getting absolutely slaughtered by the dwarves. My armies can't go toe-to-toe with them at all, and since they seemed to have instantly steamrolled the Greenskins, they have a massive empire that can just throw wave after wave at me. Is there any advantage Vampires can get over them?

I had the same issues, basically you need two to one armies and lightning strike to wear down their armies with cycle charging heavy cav in the rear. They have bullshit leadership and never break... Grave guard seem to get wrecked pretty fast even with Nehek, and charging your heavy cav directly into their ranged units is pretty ineffective by itself. Use lots of debuff spells to reduce armor and melee attk/defense. AP is king, so varghulfs, and armor rending on vargheists, great weapons and so on can help chew through dwarfs faster. I have Kemmler with a bunch of ethereal units and that also seems to work well, 3 melee and 3 cav. Once you start pushing them back, I found a well experienced gold chevron army was able to get through their garrisons and raze and sack and such without too many problems. Most of my armies have a couple vampires, a wight king and necromancer. One each of both vampire casters are good for additional winds reserves and debuffs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

this is extremely good

also heres something weird, it looks like following the success of the Norsca DLC, forge world has started making Fimir minis for age of sigmar?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

jokes posted:

I confess I don't know TES lore much because every time I start to learn a bit about it I start to yawn and end up not caring. Like, it seems needlessly convoluted and complicated.

It was written by a dude on a weeks long amphetamine binge and it loving owns.

Rock and roll is dead and you're a maggot on its corpse.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I might just quit CnC. I tried a second run as Malekith and still got pushed back to just Naggarond before even getting the whole first province. Maybe I suck but the buff garrisons + increased upkeep just make certain starts an unfun pain. Between revolts and the skaven and the norscans it's just full stacks coming every turn to gently caress you, and it's not just unfun but bad for blood pressure to get kills that are listed on the end screen as "2...." and still lose because they can just come back for more every turn.

It seems like rn the chaffy factions have way too good leadership and killing power to be chaff, so even if the elite factions can mow them down in the thousands it doesn't matter. Having done skaven, orcs, and norsca compared to dark elves and lizards, this also makes the chaff factions pretty loving easy.

You just drive over everything with unlimited poo poo and choose the lords that have nuke spells.

It sucks cuz the other half of the time it feels really good and desperately holding out against a rat horde, or using one, is super fun. But then you get another rat horde 2 turns later but if you try to attack in the mean time then oops there's also a defensive horde and a garrison with T5 units hanging out in the start fodder factions lv 2 minor settlement.

What difficulty are you playing? You can also try other factions, I had a hard time with Dark Elves too and the one thing that kept it fun was GCCM Ocean maps making Black Arks into true mobile fortresses.

Tomb Kings were a lot of fun in CnC also. They were one faction that really benefitted from the garrison update and it's great having the whole army immune to fatigue.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't even know about CHIM or dragons breaking reality hard enough they literally created the concept of linear time or khajit climbing on top of each other to make a giant cat-ladder to the moon or living trees making lizard people and then invading Oblivion. The surface level lore is boring but then you get to what the crazy guy wrote for Morrowind and it is pure unadalterated :catdrugs: and I love every second of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
CnC had made some changes that the AI is just really good at exploiting, too.

For instance, Skaven rout pretty early and get a move buff when routing, like in stock. But now their units replace dead rats at a rate of X Rats a minute (not sure how fast, but fast enough to be an issue if you don't counter). So they'll fall back, regen some numbers, come back, ad nauseum. Unlike a human, the AI never forgets to immediately move rallied units. Expendable units are less affected by their neighbors getting slaughtered, and CnC lord skills mean stuff like Stubborn, Disciplined, etc are a lot more common. Combine it with how they instantly upgrade ruins, the cheaty money boosts the AI gets, and you end up with a true Vermintide if you let them get out of hand.

Vampire Counts are similar, because ghouls and vampires fall back and everyone and their zombie mother has regeneration. They'll cycle charge you, dart away and punish your lack of mobility and micro.

Factions that lack a good ranged AoE infantry unit really suffer. Dwarves have irondrakes and regular gyrocopters which can rack up huge kill counts, and Empire has grenade launcher out riders.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mannfred makes that picture.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tretch has one problem and its Alith Anar.

I wish those loving elvish canadians would bog off for long enough for me to field something more than slaves and nightrunners but nope, three seconds in and I gotta fight a full stack of high elves with endgame units.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the skaven are just a massive pain in the dick to play. it sucks major rear end having everything constantly rout.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any faction that requires micromanaging 50 unit cards around is going to be frustrating.

It's the same reason I don't care for Brettonia- managing a lot of shock cavalry units is tedious and their infantry is far too fragile to rely on.

CnC made walls just give you two advanced tier units regardless of the wall tier. The better projectiles and other little passive bonuses aren't worth spending another 12500g on.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Depends on the campaign situation and your income level. By mid-late campaign I have more than enough cash to burn and I very much disagree that those projectiles/bonuses are not worth the cost, at least for some factions. Some factions get not-magic skills to use as well, which can be gross (warp bombs). If you have some territory that you know is going to get visitors it is generally worth upgrading the defenses.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm saying the second and third tiers don't feel as worth it because you don't get additions garrison units at that point.

I also play GCCM maps and often the towers play a much smaller factor.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah Marienberg GCCM has a wall 2 miles long which is ridiculous to defend.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I honestly would prefer siege maps with just one gate and wall section. Cut that cruft out, you barely play a third of the map anyway. That Karaz-a-Karak map in GCCM got it right.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I honestly would prefer siege maps with just one gate and wall section. Cut that cruft out, you barely play a third of the map anyway. That Karaz-a-Karak map in GCCM got it right.

Agreed, move all that eye candy in a unusable part of the city and just condense the fighting area to a small section, I had to stop using GCCM because I got tired of sieging a city like Nuln and having a 30 minute battle where 28 minutes consists of walking my army across the massive map and tiny winding streets trying to find 1-2 enemy units scattered around and invisible from line of sight blockage.

These guys like to make decent scenery but they have no idea how to make something that plays well or isn't either a single tiny chokepoint or a massive slog to move through.

Maybe they have gotten better about the map design since the last time I used it a year ago.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Karaz a Karak is one of the better ones in its simplicity, yeah. Karak Kadrin is fun for similar reasons. Zhufbar is pretty but kind of a hassle to play because of all the inner streets. Karak Urkaz (the northern one) is also neat because only part of it is walled, the other flank can be accessed by multiple causeways covered by a single tower.

Karak Azul has the best example of defense in depth I've seen; first a series of ledges great for perching Miners with blasting charges on, then the main proper wall with gatehouse, then an inner wall that forces attackers to double back to get up a final ramp to the inner part. The other two settlements in the province have nice maps too.

Marienberg's wall isn't really meant to be actively defended, because siege towers can spawn so close that enemies are on the walls before you can do anything. The trick is to use the little bridges as choke points to split up and isolate invaders.

Carcassonne has a big rear end hill you can send cavalry charging down when they breach the gates which is :black101: as gently caress.

Nagarrond is loving huge, so is Castle Drakenhoff though it has this courtyard of gargoyles barfing ichor that I believe damages enemies passing through?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Agreed, move all that eye candy in a unusable part of the city and just condense the fighting area to a small section, I had to stop using GCCM because I got tired of sieging a city like Nuln and having a 30 minute battle where 28 minutes consists of walking my army across the massive map and tiny winding streets trying to find 1-2 enemy units scattered around and invisible from line of sight blockage.

Hello Rome 1.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Making smaller siege maps with fixed facings was one of the better ideas TWW1 had, despite all the endless sobbing and crying about how it removes options or makes sieges bland or whatever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How I would have done it-

Nuln gets a missile silo in the center of the castle that is basically a hellstorm rocket battery with massive range, hurling rockets in a 360 degree field of fire, flanked by a ring of towers that are well behind the main wall. It's on a tall hill backed by river on one side but mostly exposed. Approaches are specifically angled so handgunners on walls get optimum fields of fire. Nasty against foot infantry but equally exposed to missile fire itself,and attackers can approach from lots of directions.

Zhufbar has a long corridor with climbable ledges on either side, but there's just aqueducts behind them so attackers climbing the walls early still have to fight their way to the main courtyard. Between defensive towers there are 'grenade Launchers' which lob a single demo charge at a time at nearby attackers. There's also a couple inner corridors specifically optimized for using cannon/organ guns. Creates a kill box for attackers but they can get up your walls pretty fast, and the corridor is wide enough that units with stalk can sneak past the outer defenses.

Brettonian cities get a very large open area outside the map which is fairly distant from the enemy deploy zone. You can use this space for cavalry to quickly charge attackers instead of having to Sally out of the gates all the time.

Wood Elf settlements: in addition to physical choke points and wooded areas, Wood Elves get access to 'Hunting blinds' which are like a wall platform and forest terrain combined. Enemies have to pretty much be adjacent/over it to see the units hidden inside, and the map has invisible trees which will give Defenders protection from missile and artillery fire, effectively a little pillbox you can stick your archers inside.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
ya lets make attacking a settlement even more of a horrible slog good idear

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Better than the slog they are now. And more fun to defend.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let me put artillery and monstrous infantry on my walls.

That is all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was wondering why Mixu's LL mod had Nordland start with a unit of wood elf wayfarers and then I found out there's a whole Elvish community living in the forest between Nordland and Middeland. Despite reading about this setting for years, I never knew that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

im still amazed that CA managed to brute-force the fimir back into the tabletop game somehow. it's pretty cunning of GW to do too. if i had more respect for GW i'd start wondering if they encouraged CA to freestyle with obscure stuff from the lore, to see what ends up popular with players without having to sink a bunch of money into mold-making and poo poo.

although if that was the case i'd imagine we'd have seen minis of all the vermintide characters, who survived to age of sigmar for Reasons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

Better than the slog they are now. And more fun to defend.

The whole “my tier 2 garrison and tier 1 woods adds double varghulfs to my garrison” is horrible.

Perhaps every. single. settlement. shouldn’t be a goddam pita slog.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The poo poo offensive sieges in Warhammer are the worst part about it. You have to do them constantly and they're all the same. Especially as you sweep through several towns in a row, each with an identical garrison against your identical army. I'd take a siege revamp DLC over a new race pack, honestly.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The whole “my tier 2 garrison and tier 1 woods adds double varghulfs to my garrison” is horrible.

Perhaps every. single. settlement. shouldn’t be a goddam pita slog.

Could I interest you perhaps in triple varghulf?
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/1334469565/1735468061765973997/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vargs posted:

The poo poo offensive sieges in Warhammer are the worst part about it. You have to do them constantly and they're all the same. Especially as you sweep through several towns in a row, each with an identical garrison against your identical army. I'd take a siege revamp DLC over a new race pack, honestly.

This is my absolute number one beef with current TW games too, i want epic sieges and not smoosh my spearmanii against the exact same map every time.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I swear to god in a much older total war game you got to basically pick units from your armies to leave behind for garrison purposes. Gimmie that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Motherfucker posted:

I swear to god in a much older total war game you got to basically pick units from your armies to leave behind for garrison purposes. Gimmie that back.

Your rose coloured glasses are not remembering the massive administration nightmare that was. So ridiculously tedious, expensive and unengaging. The move to auto-garrisons you can buff up with your own armies is absolutely a move for the better.