Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xander77 posted:

There should have been a whole discussion / internet uprising when purchasing games somehow turned into "you only pay to rent these games for an indefinite period, and we can revoke that privilege at will"... but there wasn't.

That definitely happened. The idea that Steam could some day shut down or simply revoke your gaming library while leaving you with no recourse was super controversial to some people. Copy-protection and DRM software have faced the same criticism (in fact, Steam is also a type of DRM software)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There have absolutely been discussions both when it happened before I was even born, and at each evolution of the distribution method. And we've mostly had trouble finding some middle ground that works legally as well as the current licensing and isn't some radical RMS copyleft stuff.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Sininu posted:

Revoking stolen/scammed keys sold at Kinguin/G2A.

AFAIK this never happens though*. At least the last time I heard about it, there was huge backlash to the developers of some game for revoking defrauded keys (gotten from one of those shady resellers), so they reactivated the keys. But this leaves a situation where keys basically cannot be revoked for PR reasons, the criminals get to keep their easy cashout, the third party site can pretend everything is fine and the "Who cares, cheap games" crowd gets their cheap but stolen keys.

If fraud would lead to revoked keys a significant amount of the time, key buyers would have more incentive to be discerning and the key sites would have a much more clear divide between legit and fence sites. Because there is a legit use for reselling keys, like different regional pricing, selling excess inventory, and being able to buy bundle keys to sell off individually. All of which I am in favor of being possible.

*Anyone better informed about this who can confirm/deny? I'd love to be wrong about this.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm in an airport waiting for a connection and the only game installed on my laptop is God Eater Resurrection. But I'm too embarrassed to play it in public...

Trust this feeling, and be glad that you are having it. It means that some of your humanity is still intact

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm in an airport waiting for a connection and the only game installed on my laptop is God Eater Resurrection. But I'm too embarrassed to play it in public...

play it in public

proudly point out the outfits and jiggle physics to the stranger in the next seat

ask them which girl they fancy the most

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Griefor posted:

AFAIK this never happens though*.
Happened to me. Had an RPG I was gifted revoked 3 years later.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
What's a chill game to play on mute while listening to music or a podcast?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
______ Truck Simulator

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JayMax posted:

Diablo 3 except leave sound on to hear the Female Wizard quips.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

JayMax posted:

Elite Dangerous

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

JayMax posted:

Battle Brothers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Check out Audiosurf, OP.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Broken Cog posted:

Battle Brothers
This is also the correct answer for "only one game installed on my laptop" goon in the future.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

JayMax posted:

Pixel Puzzles Ultimate and Hexcells Infinite are my favorite podcast games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've been finishing Dishonored: Death of the Outsider lately when I stumbled into this:

Neat. Game is good too.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Luisfe posted:

Elite Dangerous

we already mentionned truck simulators

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JayMax posted:

i do this with the binding of isaac rebirth

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Fart of Presto posted:

Just bought Hexcells Infinite and it's perfect for what I had in mind. Thanks!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Today, in another case of "Gamers are loving morons"

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1054027846702776321

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is there a general 4x thread to post about how much I'm enjoying playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for the first time?

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Frog Act posted:

is there a general 4x thread to post about how much I'm enjoying playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for the first time?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869771

I enjoy lurking the strategy stuff, even though I haven’t played enough of it. The emergent narratives that come from these types of games are always amusing, even to an outsider to the genre.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Square does this a lot so I knew to hold off on buying the new Tomb Raider for a bit. It’ll be $10 in a bundle in half a year’s time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Samuringa posted:

you say gamers are morons but I actually went and looked at the REVIEW BOMBING, and a lot of them seem to say that the game's still buggy and that a lot of the people are mad they bought it early, it's still broken, and now it's cheaper so they might as well have just fuckin waited

PC Gamer reporter unable to comprehend human emotion or feeling

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Count me in as another person who devoured Return of Obra Dinn over the last few days and loved it. Agreed that the ending isn't the strong point, but as a logic puzzle it loving owns.

It shames me to admit it, but I was reduced to guessing for the last few minor characters. Question for those who have played:

:siren: DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE LOGIC-SPOILED :siren:

How do you individually ID the two Russian seamen and the four Chinese topmen? I was able to pinpoint that the Russian seamen were both with the people who ran off in chapter IV, but I couldn't find any clues telling me which was which, and i just tried both combinations until the game confirmed it. I was also able to tell which of the topmen was the last alive because of which hammock tags were present later, but I didn't find any clues for the other three, so I did the same thing. What super-obvious clue(s) did I miss?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

corn in the bible posted:

you say gamers are morons but I actually went and looked at the REVIEW BOMBING, and a lot of them seem to say that the game's still buggy and that a lot of the people are mad they bought it early, it's still broken, and now it's cheaper so they might as well have just fuckin waited

PC Gamer reporter unable to comprehend human emotion or feeling

I mean, you could say "you could get a better game at a lower price if you wait a few months" about almost every single release.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
yes but that is a bad article

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Unless you're getting a discount, there's no reason to preorder a video game on Steam. It's not like they're going to run out of copies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I mean, you could say "you could get a better game at a lower price if you wait a few months" about almost every single release.

Like most things, scale is important. Most big releases don't get a discount this bug this soon when they're still this busted.

Some anger is not unwarranted.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm playing LEGO DC Super-villains with a friend of mine and I'm surprised at how much I like it. I really like the whole open world part. Are other LEGO games worth checking out? Is there a LEGO game thread?

You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Pick a franchise you like and get the game, they all have their charms.

Except The Hobbit because it's literally unfinished, they didn't incorporate the last movie into it... which could be a good thing depending on how you feel about those films.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 21, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How do you individually ID the two Russian seamen and the four Chinese topmen? I was able to pinpoint that the Russian seamen were both with the people who ran off in chapter IV, but I couldn't find any clues telling me which was which, and i just tried both combinations until the game confirmed it. I was also able to tell which of the topmen was the last alive because of which hammock tags were present later, but I didn't find any clues for the other three, so I did the same thing. What super-obvious clue(s) did I miss?

Vague Spoiler: One of the russians has a prized possession.
Somewhat Stronger Spoiler: One of the Chinese Topmen has white slippers

General Tip for everyone: One of the early scenes where One of the Indian crewmen is dying of disease is a goldmine for subtle clues and hints if you're observant.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Man I wish the Steam Link would let me play games when someone else is using the computer for web browsing or YouTube or whatever.

You'd think that would be possible, right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Missing is a quite good game that I feel is gonna go under the radar of a lot of people that might really enjoy it. It even plays pretty okay!

I'unno if I'd put it as a GOTY contender but it's worth a playthrough.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

That definitely happened. The idea that Steam could some day shut down or simply revoke your gaming library while leaving you with no recourse was super controversial to some people. Copy-protection and DRM software have faced the same criticism (in fact, Steam is also a type of DRM software)

"steam is a type of drm" is not necessarily true. unless a game developer specifically requires steam to be running, any game you download off of steam will launch without it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

odiv posted:

Man I wish the Steam Link would let me play games when someone else is using the computer for web browsing or YouTube or whatever.

You'd think that would be possible, right?

no

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dias posted:

The Missing is a quite good game that I feel is gonna go under the radar of a lot of people that might really enjoy it. It even plays pretty okay!

I'unno if I'd put it as a GOTY contender but it's worth a playthrough.

It's decent, but the extremely floaty controls are putting me a bit off.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

You've got to adjust for inflation.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

JayMax posted:

Fart of Presto posted:

Pixel Puzzles Ultimate is eating huge chunks of my life but it's also getting me through a backlog of podcasts very nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

?

Not sure if you're joking or what, but if the computer isn't really doing anything much, you'd think it could handle running a game out to the Steam Link.

I can already run a movie to the TV in my other room without it coming up on the main screens or using the computer speakers. There's probably some bullshit with Windows and inputs that would stop it from working, but it's not like the CPU and GPU wouldn't be able to handle it.