Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

dirksteadfast posted:

I just wanted to say that I’m so relieved the 13th Doctor doesn’t know everything. I’m sure my memory is exaggerating, but so much of Capaldi’s Doctor felt like:

This is a revival characteristic in general, that great scene in AoL/WW3 notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I was just disappointed the suitcase wasn't another Tardis

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Szmitten posted:

Weirdly specific opinion but I thought the episode was really good but the use of the "Rise Up" song was really a bit much. It felt very "X-Factor contestant gets through", inappropriate for the era (and playing it during the credits was weird), and I feel like "Rise Up" isn't quite the right thing to use lyrically for a person who sparked a revolution by sitting down.

Very good bold and effecting episode otherwise. Song just reminded me of being in school having James Blunt songs blasted at us for positive reinforcement.

Yeah that was crap

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

McDragon posted:

I was just disappointed the suitcase wasn't another Tardis

This isn’t Fantastic Beasts. :colbert:

I was weirded out that it was just placed in the middle of the floor. Why not off to one side so people don’t randomly trip over it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I was weirded out that it was just placed in the middle of the floor. Why not off to one side so people don’t randomly trip over it?

He seems like a pretty bad guy so people tripping over it is probably part of his plan.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I thought ending it on the asteroid was pretty weird. I mean, it's nice she's got one named after her but so does Dr Drew, every member of Monty Python and this Belgian weatherman for some reason.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's setting things up for the finale where we learn that it eventually struck Krasco's planet and destroyed it and he's been going through time trying to exact revenge.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1054749329653727232

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Unkempt posted:

I thought ending it on the asteroid was pretty weird. I mean, it's nice she's got one named after her but so does Dr Drew, every member of Monty Python and this Belgian weatherman for some reason.

It's a cool sci fi touch, that anyone can get an asteroid named anything by paying for it is neither here nor there - it's nice that people can be recognised for their accomplishments rather than the traditional They Were Rich

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

"It was then that I wondered, 'What if Charlotte was right, and Big was behind the giant spiders?' Could I ever go back to him knowing that?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

"It was then that I wondered, 'What if Charlotte was right, and Big was behind the giant spiders?' Could I ever go back to him knowing that?"

Yeah, when thinking of who I would expect to guest star on Doctor Who, Chris Noth probably wouldn't even be on the list. It's a weird one, for sure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

two law and order men in one episode! hell yeah

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

"why would anyone want to hide a suitcase?" asks the befuddled police officer

there are a lot of odd little moments this series that I think a better script editor wouldn't be letting through

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Whybird posted:

It's setting things up for the finale where we learn that it eventually struck Krasco's planet and destroyed it and he's been going through time trying to exact revenge.

I legitimately thought they were gonna reveal that the asteroid was the Rosa Parks Penal Colony and was so relieved/annoyed that it wasn't.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Szmitten posted:

I legitimately thought they were gonna reveal that the asteroid was the Rosa Parks Penal Colony and was so relieved/annoyed that it wasn't.

Oh god that would be :yikes: made flesh

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

navyjack posted:

:yikes: made flesh

Please don't doxx my penis.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I went into this episode expecting it to be a cringe-fest, and it was actually extremely good. It was uncomfortable in a good way. I agree with the post on this page saying the song was out of place, and Vinette Robinson had trouble acting around the forced accent. Other than that, it felt uncomfortable, in a good way. I like that the villain wasn't an alien threat, he was just a straight-up time traveling white supremacist. I normally get annoyed when they split the companions up repeatedly as a way to handle a crowded TARDIS, but they're doing a good job of developing the characters through letting them talk to each other, instead of just reacting to the Space Wizard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I haven't seen Chris Noth in anything since his early Law and Order days, so I literally thought this had to be a different Chris Noth, because of how different he looks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My brain's trying to make spider lyrics for Anarchy in the UK but I'm coming up a bit short.

I am an arthropod
I am an arachnid

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bicyclops posted:

Also, I haven't seen Chris Noth in anything since his early Law and Order days, so I literally thought this had to be a different Chris Noth, because of how different he looks.

To be fair, it's been almost 25 years since Noth was fired from L&O.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Final ratings for "The Ghost Monument" put it on a cool 9 million on the dot.

For comparison, the regular episodes to have done better than that since the revival are:
  • "Rose"
  • "Tooth and Claw"
  • "Rise of the Cybermen"
  • "The Runaway Bride"
  • "Partners in Crime"
  • "The Fires of Pompeii"
  • "Journey's End"
  • "The Eleventh Hour"
  • "Deep Breath"
As well as every Tennant and Smith special.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 23, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Timby posted:

To be fair, it's been almost 25 years since Noth was fired from L&O.

He came back for Criminal Intent though

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

I just wanted to say that I’m so relieved the 13th Doctor doesn’t know everything. I’m sure my memory is exaggerating, but so much of Capaldi’s Doctor felt like:

“What is that?”
“It’s a Vogul. One of the oldest races in the universe. They can weigh up to 30kg and are bright blue.”
“That one’s purple.”
“So it is. A mystery!”

Meanwhile we’ve had multiple planets and currencies and races where the Doctor is just straight up, “Never heard of ya.” The universe is big, yo.

I really like this aspect to Whittaker's Doctor as well. I'd go beyond Capaldi and say the whole knowing everything thing has been going on since Eccleston. I suppose it probably went back to McCoy, but at least he hid it well.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The episode with The Family where Martha was a maid was a better racism episode, but I guess this is okay. Kids will get to see how lovely and ugly racism is at the least.

Kind of annoyed because any previous incarnation from 9 to 12 would've really hosed that racist time-loving bastard up. They've hosed people up for much less, this guy didn't even get a proper "Don't ever gently caress with me" speech and it's a companion who finally dispatches him. And then the Doctor has to contribute to Rosa's injustice on top of all that.

The Family of Blood episodes weren't so much about racism as they were about the horrible class-ism that existed (and still exists) in British society. Baines does racially abuse Martha, but it's more about his position of privilege versus her working-class status. Other characters who aren't obviously racist, such as Nurse Redfern and John Smith himself, are also happy to put her down based on her social status.

I do agree that it was a much better take on the prejudices of a particular time period in our history. It wasn't a central element of the plot but it still portrayed the ugliness of prejudice. The problem with making an episode that makes a period of prejudice in human history its focal point is that the Doctor can't directly intervene and has to whip out the old "fixed point in time" card.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Szmitten posted:

Weirdly specific opinion but I thought the episode was really good but the use of the "Rise Up" song was really a bit much. It felt very "X-Factor contestant gets through", inappropriate for the era (and playing it during the credits was weird), and I feel like "Rise Up" isn't quite the right thing to use lyrically for a person who sparked a revolution by sitting down.

Very good bold and effecting episode otherwise. Song just reminded me of being in school having James Blunt songs blasted at us for positive reinforcement.

I'm so so sorry you had to go to school in a CIA black site re-education centre.

edit: Murray Gold would have finished it with some Deep South gospel. Or at least a red-faced Welsh male voice choir doing their best impersonation of one.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 24, 2018

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Bruceski posted:

My brain's trying to make spider lyrics for Anarchy in the UK but I'm coming up a bit short.

I am an arthropod
I am an arachnid

I'll crawl where I want
And I know where my web is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

This isn’t Fantastic Beasts. :colbert:

The Doctor mentioned there was a perception filter on it, so in addition to people not seeing it, they'd also unconsciously avoid walking into it without realizing why or even really noticing that they'd stepped around/over it.

I mean, it's still a bit dumb to just leave it smackdab in the middle of the floor, but on the other hand the guy was a dick, plus it's more cinematic this way!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor mentioned there was a perception filter on it, so in addition to people not seeing it, they'd also unconsciously avoid walking into it without realizing why or even really noticing that they'd stepped around/over it.

I mean, it's still a bit dumb to just leave it smackdab in the middle of the floor, but on the other hand the guy was a dick, plus it's more cinematic this way!

I'm just pretending his actual plan was to make Rosa trip on it, spraining her ankle, so she misses the bus

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Stabbatical posted:

Wasn't a fan of the song either but it was pretty funny they kept the song going over the Next Time trailer, bridging Rosa Parks being arrested with an attack of the Giant Spiders.

The song was supposed to be entirely about the giant spiders. They're going to Rise Up... next week on Doctor Who!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A friend of mine came over, and he wanted to watch the new Who, so we got through the first 2 eps of the season. I’ll tell you what, they don’t half drag when you know the story. :/

There’s still lots of good stuff to catch, like Jodie’s face doing things even when the focus isn’t on her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, and I hope you’re not expecting the next season in 2019.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

A friend of mine came over, and he wanted to watch the new Who, so we got through the first 2 eps of the season. I’ll tell you what, they don’t half drag when you know the story. :/

There’s still lots of good stuff to catch, like Jodie’s face doing things even when the focus isn’t on her.

Dragged the first time round too, imo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Just once I’d like a revival Doctor who’s tenure wasn’t half-wasted by delays

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol what the gently caress

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Will be interested to see how Moffat is blamed for this one.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/sawboneshex/status/1054839009178984449?s=21

:3:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The gap year is just so people can appreciate big finish even more

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Soothing Vapors posted:

or leaves the show to gently caress David Tennant offscreen forever

To be fair, Georgia Moffett was only in one episode, I don't think Jenny counts as a proper companion.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, the article seems to imply that production is shorter because now they can rely on what was built for the first Whittaker season, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic. That said, lol if there's another gap year so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Man the production team must've been running themselves ragged in the RTD years to produce four regular series plus a year of "the star is off doing theater so here's four hour long specials instead" compared to everything that's come since.