Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I want Obsidian to make the next Star Wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Donovan Trip posted:

Can't tell if sarcasm

No he literally did exactly that. OH ITS MY FAULT THIS IS BORING AND STUPID.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also, having level requirements on items breaks the amazing Fallout tradition of goofing off and stumbling across high powered poo poo.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

caps on caps on caps posted:

Now that the bribe money is payed out, some more honest reviews are coming out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKY9JHSxK3Y

Its as bad as we thought

That video was posted 3 days after the big press event.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

Can't tell if sarcasm

did you watch the video, my man?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, having level requirements on items breaks the amazing Fallout tradition of goofing off and stumbling across high powered poo poo.

Not to defend Bethesda here but it's really difficult to not do this when you also have PvP in your game. The only other alternative really is to make it so that different weapons are not strictly better or worse than one another, just different, and obviously that has it's own share of downsides (no real reward for exploring risky areas etc).

Definitely agree that it goes hard against the FO grain.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Frog Act posted:

this looks unbelievably bad and the whole VATs "shooting five feet to the right of something and killing it" is just horrible. the player characters all look the same, everyone clips through each other when they enter zones, holy heck this game doesn't seem to have a single redeeming thing going on

lmfao, from /r/fallout:

literal children projecting their fantasies onto games, I remember when I was hopeful enough to think things like this and write about them on like IGN in 2002

Uh oh, they're going full star citizen

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that impressions video made me laugh when he said "im still gonna put 100 hours into this" because he sounds like the kind of insane person that gives an incredibly negative steam review to a game that he logged like 200 hrs into

"what kind of replay value will it have tho" bruh if you get 100 hours of gameplay from this why the gently caress would replaying it cross your mind. I put 100 hrs into Witcher 3 and I'm almost def never gonna play it again.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Somebody asked for a streamer streaming the BETA.

I found one:
https://www.twitch.tv/aznikko

Obviusly, at the time I posted this is only the login screen. But in the future it will be somebody playing!

Looks like once theres a few online, will be here:

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Fallout%2076

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DLC Inc posted:

that impressions video made me laugh when he said "im still gonna put 100 hours into this" because he sounds like the kind of insane person that gives an incredibly negative steam review to a game that he logged like 200 hrs into

"what kind of replay value will it have tho" bruh if you get 100 hours of gameplay from this why the gently caress would replaying it cross your mind. I put 100 hrs into Witcher 3 and I'm almost def never gonna play it again.

Right? I put 200 hours combined into the Witcher trilogy, and 100 into Divinity Original Sin, I loved them, but there's like no chance I'm playing through again.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Orv posted:

I think it's hilarious, as always, how far goons are going to piss on a game release they don't personally like (looks like PS1, really?) but it's a shame there's really nothing redeeming seeming about this game. A Bethesda game with coop should be a grand slam and instead all of this.

It will probably be really good for greifing.

Looking at other Bethesda games I expect item duplication, OOB clipping, and infinite XP / cap exploits to plague this game for its entire lifetime. Quests requirements and enemy aggro look easily abuseable and a good way to indirectly annoy people. Perk cards will probably have some combos that will likely lead to things like zero damage infinite stagger or glitches like the mysterious stranger not counting as your kill so it doesn't put you on the wanted list. Gamebryo also tied a lot of things to FPS in FO4 and if the networking code on Quake Champions is any example you can expect there to be a lot of exploitable funkiness between client-server calculations in this game.

We don't know the full extent of the protections they put in, but the stuff they mentioned so far seems to provide just as much protection for the griefer as it does the greifee. It also seems to only protect against killing someone, not loving with their environment.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol all damage in pvp is normalized so a level 5 person can kill a level 50 person and items don't matter, wow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'll be funny watching someone in a vault suit plink a decked out power armor player with a 10mm pistol

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Whats wrong with that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
the IGN press event video had him and a few others plink to death a BGS guy in power armor it was good times

How funny it'll be that a group of low level players is more dangerous than a high level

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Donovan Trip posted:

the IGN press event video had him and a few others plink to death a BGS guy in power armor it was good times

How funny it'll be that a group of low level players is more dangerous than a high level

Welcome to Goonswarm

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

It would be hilarious once we have weapons that put people on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXGpToZkTe0
(video is not related)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Frog Act posted:

lol all damage in pvp is normalized so a level 5 person can kill a level 50 person and items don't matter, wow

wow that explains why the pip boy made your little wrist computer level lock the equipment you pick up

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The pre-release footage would look a LOT better if every firearm didn't have a fire rate of 1 bullet per minute.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You can keep throwing yourself at someone once they kill you too. All it takes is you shooting them to reinitiate pvp and you can respawns right next to them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

A Bethesda game with coop should be a grand slam

Idk how this would ever be a home run when Fallout 4 was held together by tape and glue and represented a series nadir in terms of progress. An online co-op game is like the last thing the Bethesda guys should try given how much things break in the main games, at least not until they have a eureka moment and start fresh with a better engine and roadmap.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Idk how this would ever be a home run when Fallout 4 was held together by tape and glue and represented a series nadir in terms of progress. An online co-op game is like the last thing the Bethesda guys should try given how much things break in the main games, at least not until they have a eureka moment and start fresh with a better engine and roadmap.

I mean it would still be a Bethesda game, so the limitations and issues would need to at least be amusing rather than world breaking or soul-suckingly boring like they were in FO4. I think Bethesda's greatest strength is creating cool worlds and then their biggest weakness is an absolute lack of anything interesting to fill them with. On some level coop games for me are a hang out with friends and gently caress around activity, so the mile wide pond of those games would be a good place for that. Obviously I'd prefer if it had interesting quests and PoIs that were more than a cave filled with [Monster] [Loot] [Trap x 2] and a journal I'll never read, but I'm not going to pretend I haven't sunk plenty of time into them over the years despite their shortcomings.

The issue is that you're right, FO4 was Bad and while my initial reaction to 76 was "I could stomp around in some power armor with my friends" it became pretty quickly obvious that it was just going to be a FO4 rehash thrown together for a quick buck. I think it could have been more, but I don't think, until they're willing to slaughter the golden lamb that is PC modding through Gamebryo, that it would have been, or their next games will be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
think this means it won't be available each day
https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1054807316703391744

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

4 hour opening, surely this'll go smoothly.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Tei posted:

Somebody asked for a streamer streaming the BETA.

I found one:
https://www.twitch.tv/aznikko

Obviusly, at the time I posted this is only the login screen. But in the future it will be somebody playing!

Looks like once theres a few online, will be here:

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Fallout%2076

Thank you!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Why doesn't it say the next time you can play right from they launcher instead of that generic "lack sufficient entitlements" message? Like you gotta run to Twitter to find out?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently some people have been having login troubles?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apparently some people have been having login troubles?

It doesn't launch until 7pm, so that checks out

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Donovan Trip posted:

Why doesn't it say the next time you can play right from they launcher instead of that generic "lack sufficient entitlements" message? Like you gotta run to Twitter to find out?

I'm assuming it is some BS Xbox live limitation. Adding a note on the login screen probably counts as a patch or something stupid along those lines and so can't go outside scheduled release windows or whatever. Lot stories floating around about stuff like that. Maintaining a game that uses Xbox live is apparently a giant pain.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

BattleHamster posted:

It will probably be really good for greifing.

Looking at other Bethesda games I expect item duplication, OOB clipping, and infinite XP / cap exploits to plague this game for its entire lifetime. Quests requirements and enemy aggro look easily abuseable and a good way to indirectly annoy people. Perk cards will probably have some combos that will likely lead to things like zero damage infinite stagger or glitches like the mysterious stranger not counting as your kill so it doesn't put you on the wanted list. Gamebryo also tied a lot of things to FPS in FO4 and if the networking code on Quake Champions is any example you can expect there to be a lot of exploitable funkiness between client-server calculations in this game.

We don't know the full extent of the protections they put in, but the stuff they mentioned so far seems to provide just as much protection for the griefer as it does the greifee. It also seems to only protect against killing someone, not loving with their environment.

I personally fully expect a weapon that doesn't do much damage but knocks back the other player. I also expect it to not count the fall damage it causes against the player using it, allowing you to throw people off a cliff and kill them without triggering PVP.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, there is level pre-req on loot now. :(

Level 1 Pipe Gun, and notice that greyed out mini-gun he just picked up:

Which has a level of 35, so he can't equip or use it....

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

lovely Wizard posted:

I personally fully expect a weapon that doesn't do much damage but knocks back the other player. I also expect it to not count the fall damage it causes against the player using it, allowing you to throw people off a cliff and kill them without triggering PVP.
Age of Conan had this and it was the best part.

Also it goes without saying this was a way to grief in EVE, because everything is a way to grief in EVE.

giv fatmn or bump!!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Xik posted:

Oh, there is level pre-req on loot now. :(

yea, it sucks.

anyway MMO players are not human anymore and can complete 700 hours games in 24 hours then whine about the lack of content, so timegating progression has become a trench warfare between the playerbase and the devs.

some games do it differently, like Destiny allow you to get the best weapon in the game after level 7 or so, but is gated by a RNG, that is his different type of bullshit

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tei posted:

yea, it sucks.

anyway MMO players are not human anymore and can complete 700 hours games in 24 hours then whine about the lack of content, so timegating progression has become a trench warfare between the playerbase and the devs.

some games do it differently, like Destiny allow you to get the best weapon in the game after level 7 or so, but is gated by a RNG, that is his different type of bullshit

The problem with the "stumble into greatness" strategy that single player games can use is that in multiplayer only one guy has to stumble into it and then post about it and now everyone has one.

OG SWG tried it and it took like a couple months for the first person to figure out how to be a Jedi, and then a day later half the population were Jedis and the devs got real sad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tei posted:

I don't think devs will ever win that particular contest.

The answer to MMOs not having enough content is to do what Eve does - allow people to make big sandcastles for other players to kick over. Then the players become the content.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The problem with the "stumble into greatness" strategy that single player games can use is that in multiplayer only one guy has to stumble into it and then post about it and now everyone has one.

OG SWG tried it and it took like a couple months for the first person to figure out how to be a Jedi, and then a day later half the population were Jedis and the devs got real sad.

SWG should have been scum bags about it and made Jedis permadeath and only like 2% of players able to be one.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Considering Fallout 4 is still selling well and being played quite a bit, even though this thread hates the game beyond all reason, there's no reason to think that Fallout 76 won't also sell well.

Fallout 4 is a lot of fun.

Fallout 76 will probably also be a lot of fun.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

DLC Inc posted:

Nah this’ll be one of those Outs in little league when the kid throws the bat across the field and hits someone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tei posted:

Whaaaa? Maybe get the best weapon but its light 45 when you need like it at like light 400 or someshit. What are you talking about Destiny weapons are all gated like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mormonpartyboat posted:

wow that explains why the pip boy made your little wrist computer level lock the equipment you pick up
"please accrue 4 levels of experience gained only by antisocial behavior to learn how a simple gun (that is not made of toilet pipes) works"

immersive