Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
any streamers I can watch play this trainwreck in 3 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Considering Fallout 4 is still selling well and being played quite a bit, even though this thread hates the game beyond all reason, there's no reason to think that Fallout 76 won't also sell well.

Fallout 4 is a lot of fun.

Fallout 76 will probably also be a lot of fun.

well that settles it, I take back everything about the cluttered interface, bad graphics, samey gameplay, and lack of content

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

deathbagel posted:

Considering Fallout 4 is still selling well and being played quite a bit, even though this thread hates the game beyond all reason, there's no reason to think that Fallout 76 won't also sell well.

most of the thread actually likes the fallout 4 DLCs tho

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Frog Act posted:

well that settles it, I take back everything about the cluttered interface, bad graphics, samey gameplay, and lack of content

that can all be 100% true, the game still sell well and people can still find it fun

it's hosed up, I know, humans are weird and that's why there's no human NPCs in Fallout 76

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

deathbagel posted:

Gonna go with a firm 'lol no' on this one.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

deathbagel posted:

You did it, you solved the thread good job

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone here gonna partake in the beta?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that can all be 100% true, the game still sell well and people can still find it fun

it's hosed up, I know, humans are weird and that's why there's no human NPCs in Fallout 76

I'd be okay with this if companies didn't learn people will have fun with poo poo products, so they don't bother to make good products.

Think about how much fun fallout 3/4/76 COULD have been if bethesda didn't know people were going to buy that poo poo anyway no matter how little effort they put in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really don't know what to tell you if you think a studio sets out to spend millions of dollars on making a game and decides "What if we made it poo poo?"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Agent355 posted:

I'd be okay with this if companies didn't learn people will have fun with poo poo products, so they don't bother to make good products.

Think about how much fun fallout 3/4/76 COULD have been if bethesda didn't know people were going to buy that poo poo anyway no matter how little effort they put in.

I want to frame this post, the shrill false dilemma here is lol

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Orv posted:

I really don't know what to tell you if you think a studio sets out to spend millions of dollars on making a game and decides "What if we made it poo poo?"

I wouldn't know what to say either, but fortunately for both of us no one is saying that

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Whaaaa? Maybe get the best weapon but its light 45 when you need like it at like light 400 or someshit. What are you talking about Destiny weapons are all gated like this.

you could kill a dreg in the cosmodrome, and get a exotic engram, that could decypher to the gallajorn, then proceed to own everything in your path for about 2 years (3 years, if you don't mind the small nerf the gallahorn receive, it was still a impresive weapon).

of course not everyone got a gallajorn that soon, some of them bought it from Xur that week. Most just day dreamed about it for years or got lucky.
---
Warframe use a system where if you want a specifi frame, you grind missions in a particular system, or game type, and slowly build it. Thats another system.

Tei fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 23, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

deathbagel posted:

I played and enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it was. The fallout games are some of the best worst games out there. But going into a MMO version of such a rickety system while taking out so many qualities that make it fun is a bad idea.

lol though at the "people are still playing this" line, I mean people still play destiny even as the devs keep loving things up and fixing them in a hellish samsara loop of Nothing Getting Better.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Orv posted:

It's not so much "what if we made it poo poo" as "what if we ignored every lesson that the industry has already learned repeatedly and flush a whole fuckload of money down the toilet thinking it'll save us a buck"

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
any trip reports on new california y'all

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

CrashCat posted:

It's not so much "what if we made it poo poo" as "what if we ignored every lesson that the industry has already learned repeatedly and flush a whole fuckload of money down the toilet thinking it'll save us a buck"

you mean the industry that has rejected pip boy and his industrious pluck?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CrashCat posted:

That's not entirely what they're doing though. Skyrim earned Bethesda a ton of cache with the kind of people who buy one CoD/BF/AC/Yearly Title a year for their game console and play little else. FO4 wasn't great to people who've played the originals, or played NV, or etc etc etc but for those people Skyrim With Guns was actually a gigantic selling point. Those people by and large loved FO4 and don't care about mods or games like Witcher that are eating Bethesda's open world playground lunch. The other half of Bethesda's user base do care about mods and so they're forced on some level to stick with the spaghetti string nightmare of upgrades and coding atrocities that is Gamebryo/Creation Engine because people know how to mod it and, by and large, it's extremely easy to mod for people new to the whole process.

One would hope that Space Game (forget the name) and TES VI will have actually displayed some learned lessons instead of just being God Engine 2 or whatever they end up calling it if, god forbid, they keep using it. Not that any of this excuses FO4 being generally pretty bad in a lot of ways, it's just very much a doing the best they can situation, trouble is Morrowind was almost two decades ago and their best is bad now.

E: On some level they're going to have to keep putting out games on Gamebryo because they have a pipeline for it and it'll make them money until they're done making the tech for Space Game. They'll keep selling to people that don't really care about the particulars of good games and just want experiences.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 23, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ymgve posted:

any streamers I can watch play this trainwreck in 3 hours?

look here in 2 hours https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Fallout%2076

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I can't tell anymore if the little fucker is called pipboy or fallout boy or vaultboy anymore and I also cannot be bothered to look it up.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I played and enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it was. The fallout games are some of the best worst games out there. But going into a MMO version of such a rickety system while taking out so many qualities that make it fun is a bad idea.

lol though at the "people are still playing this" line, I mean people still play destiny even as the devs keep loving things up and fixing them in a hellish samsara loop of Nothing Getting Better.

Destiny plays really really well 😬

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wrr posted:

I can't tell anymore if the little fucker is called pipboy or fallout boy or vaultboy anymore and I also cannot be bothered to look it up.

*checks Nukapedia*

Actually, his name is Fuckboy. Your welcome.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Leonard Boyarsky originally called him Skill Guy, and now I'm laughing at the idea that Vault Boy is short for Vault Boyarski

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something about that is really unsettling.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Father Wendigo posted:

*checks Nukapedia*

Actually, his name is Fuckboy. Your welcome.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

we are going places, places where no men should go alone

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The problem with the "stumble into greatness" strategy that single player games can use is that in multiplayer only one guy has to stumble into it and then post about it and now everyone has one.

OG SWG tried it and it took like a couple months for the first person to figure out how to be a Jedi, and then a day later half the population were Jedis and the devs got real sad.

That not at all how or why Jedi started popping up like weeds after 6 month after SWG was first released.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Wrr posted:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've been playing fallout games since 1997 and I just tolerate pipboy tbh

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

I've been playing fallout games since 1997 and I just tolerate pipboy tbh

The window dressing has never been what made fallout good and it's sad thats the only part people recognize as fallout anymore.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that kind of depends on how broadly you consider fallout things to be 'window dressing'.

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
teh epic todd just promised us more streamable bug moments!!?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean just look CDPR they released thronebreaker who is based on loving gwent and at the moment im playing its cool with good art, music and sounds. Bethesda just added multiplayer mode to fallout 4 and removed all the rpg elements. What the gently caress they are thinking

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

One more hour to go until 90% of the posters in this thread get to start posting "LOL I'm watching <insert streamer's name here> and this game sucks SO BAD!" instead of the constructive posts they've been posting for the past few weeks! I can't wait!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

deathbagel posted:

One more hour to go until 90% of the posters in this thread get to start posting "LOL I'm watching <insert streamer's name here> and this game sucks SO BAD!" instead of the constructive posts they've been posting for the past few weeks! I can't wait!

hah hah you got it baby

I still want it to be good but I'm gonna need some evidence

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait a loving minute...they are charging full price for this crap?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

deathbagel posted:

I want to play a cool fallout game just as much as everybody else. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong, but I won't be. This is pretty blatant.

If the game turns out to be great (for me, not just 'oh it sold a million units to idiots who will play anything), I'll be happy to admit my mistakes in this thread and buy the game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DoctorGonzo posted:

I mean just look CDPR they released thronebreaker who is based on loving gwent and at the moment im playing its cool with good art, music and sounds. Bethesda just added multiplayer mode to fallout 4 and removed all the rpg elements. What the gently caress they are thinking

"If we can pull this scam off we'll be set for LIFE!" is what they were thinking.

(Arrested Development narrator voice) but they couldn't pull it off.

deathbagel posted:

This is a weird hill you've chosen to die on, but I admire your tenacity none the less.

Donovan Trip posted:

hah hah you got it baby

I still want it to be good but I'm gonna need some evidence

At this point I'll settle for "at least sells well enough that it doesn't kill the franchise". They were never going to get my money, but I hope they get other people's money.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

At this point I'll settle for "at least sells well enough that it doesn't kill the franchise". They were never going to get my money, but I hope they get other people's money.

My sweet spot is 'oh man, we thought we had a good idea what people enjoyed in the fallout games but when we tried to do nothing but that in a game it flopped horribly, I guess we should reconsider how we make these games so we can do better'.

it'll never happen, but I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Oops, you got your personal identity wrapped up in the release of a media product. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

*Mournfully looks back at my GameCube and my console warrior youth*