Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so how loving bad is it? i liked 3 and 4 despite there abortion of a story because i could mod it so i dress up like an obese star-lord and blow the limbs off of raiders and they would run around like the black knight and beg for their lives. this doesn't seem as fun from what i am seeing.

Consensus from streamers is that if you liked FO3 or FO4, you will not like this game.

Do you play any MMORPGS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean, honestly, response to the game seems a lot like response to ESO when it first happened. There’s a lot of pent up demand for a good traditional Fallout game and this isn’t that, so people are kind of upset from the jump.

I dunno. The only bug I ran into in a couple of hours of playing was the obviously busted enemy AI. That’s clearly not intended though, so whatever.

Otherwise, what I played wasn’t GREAT or life-changing but it was interesting enough in concept for me to want to play more. I have no idea if it will end up having actual legs but what is there seems like it’ll keep me interested enough to put some time into.

Anyway that’s my hot take, it’s not good if you want a regular (modern) Fallout RPG but if you’re open to seeing them try something weird and different with a Fallout skin it’s got potential.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's FO4 but without any story except letters and audiotapes, no non-enemy characters except other players, and no modding. The gameplay loop seems to consist of hoarding trash, breaking trash down to craft things, then go back out to collect more trash. Sometimes a boring quest will happen. The lighting looks quite nice, but everything else looks awful. Texture work is poor and muddy, animations are...what you would expect, combat is Fallout combat (bad). Performance on Xbox is not good, and while I guess it can be improved eventually, there's little doubt in my mind that the game will be shipping pretty much as is. There will be no modding to improve things because it's an always online game. What you see is what you get.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hey some people REALLY want to be the Croatian goon from E/N

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

caps on caps on caps posted:

Consensus from streamers is that if you liked FO3 or FO4, you will not like this game.

Do you play any MMORPGS?

gently caress no. Guess November cash is for Spyro then.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

there was at least one typical Bethesda style puzzle i saw where you are in a hiring office and use some various notes and computer terminals to figure out how to get a thing, so that's not completely gone just rare

but yeah even if you enjoy the loop of "loot everything that's not nailed down, hobble off to base to scrap and stash it, repeat" i think it'll get old fast

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I only got to play for an hour or so because I had to work, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Shrugs.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
it seems like a LOT of quests are 1. go place 2. kill waves of enemies 3. get random assortment of scrap and caps as reward

so basically your average radiant stuff from FO4 and if that's what you liked about FO4 then go right ahead but to me that gets stale extremely fast

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I like both of those despite the horrible main quests, I'm already planning on skipping this one, this sucks

I guess there's not much hope for Bethesda selling the IP or farming out the development so I expect the PS5 to feature Gamebryo physics with Daikatana coding in a few years

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Martout posted:

it seems like a LOT of quests are 1. go place 2. kill waves of enemies 3. get random assortment of scrap and caps as reward

so basically your average radiant stuff from FO4 and if that's what you liked about FO4 then go right ahead but to me that gets stale extremely fast

hey, hey - some quests are 1. go to place 2. get prompt to hit button in place 3. kill things and hit button 4. get nothing because its bugged

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tei posted:

I will probably learn canivalism or other important survival skill, so I can feed from rotting corposes
I forgot that they also added a disease element, so I’m sure if they give you that option your chance of getting a disease is pretty high

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I forgot that they also added a disease element, so I’m sure if they give you that option your chance of getting a disease is pretty high

Diseases are fun. I would love to get a disease.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Diseases_(Morrowind)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Vampirism was in Fallout 3, so why not 76, amirite?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
fallout 76 makes me sad

lol jeez

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saladin Rising posted:

This is the other thing that low-key disappoints me about FO:76. There is so much potential neat stuff you could do in a West Virginia-based Fallout games, and none of it is going to happen even if FO:76 doesn't completely flop.

E: So who's one of the the more tolerable FO:76 streamers that everyone's watching?

You could do a lot with the idea that everyone outside the vault survived by hiding in mines/mountains because there's nothing really there to even nuke.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
is todd howard secretly the pip boy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Do you play any MMORPGS?

Hell as a big FNV fan looks like I'm preordering

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

open world games are notoriously fast starters, yes

the bethesda user review paradox is: "you didn't play this game long enough to say it sucks" versus "you played it for 100 hours so how dare you say it sucks"

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you spend even thirty hours of your time playing something you don't even enjoy in the hope you will eventually enjoy it, you quite frankly have brain problems.

what is the exact amount of time you can play a Bethesda game for and say it sucks, before you've played too much and are therefore mentally ill

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 24, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except now you might play for 100 hours, find things you hat about the game, but you have no modding bugfixes to change things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A good reason people play games a long time, even though they're not enjoying themselves, is that WRPG companies like Bethesda have convinced people that it is normal and actually good for an RPG to be boring as poo poo for the first 20 hours. I blame whoever made Baldur's Gate.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Metro spoke to Hines, the vice president of global marketing and communications at Bethesda, and asked him about the new Fallout game, specifically regarding how long the developers planned to keep it aloft in the games as a service environment that the game appears to fall into. Hines unironically responded by saying “forever”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/09/15/fallout-76-will-last-forever/

What a dumb thing to lie about

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A good reason people play games a long time, even though they're not enjoying themselves, is that WRPG companies like Bethesda have convinced people that it is normal and actually good for an RPG to be boring as poo poo for the first 20 hours. I blame whoever made Baldur's Gate.

To be fair the first 20 hours where trying to get past first sets of wolves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Defenestrategy posted:

To be fair the first 20 hours where trying to get past first sets of wolves.

if you remember the Friendly Arm Inn, you had a terrible childhood

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I got some cheap beer for ya

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My hotels as clean as an elven arse.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hi friend

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
My general impression after having watched multiple people playing the game:

Positive
-Playing with friends is the best way to play this game - having a good group of people to joke with and do stuff together is where the game comes alive.
-Even if you aren't playing with friends, the game is okay solo - and you can often run into other players to randomly work together with.
-The game appears to reward exploration a great deal - you get a lot of XP for going off the beaten path and doing whatever you want in whatever order you want. You can even ignore the main questline and do just fine.
-Event quests are dynamic and pretty neat to engage in. Most of them appear to be horde and boss fights from what I've seen so far.
-There's PVP team fight arena areas you can jump into that let you freely experiment with the game's PVP combat without being penalized - and some of the arena areas have what seem like pretty good layouts for fighting. (You can also teleport to them from anywhere when the PVP events are going on.)
-It's really apparent that even though you never meet any NPCs, as much work went into the game's storyline as if they made a full single player adventure - complete with voice acting for most of the quest nodes.
-As we hoped, there's an ingame radio station with pretty much every track on it that's been featured in fallout series games plus several new ones.
-The goofy sense of humor of the series is intact, and shows itself in several of the quests and locations.
-The VATs system works pretty nicely - especially against enemies moving laterally from you.
-The card perk system appears to work pretty well, and you can mix and match your card loadout however you want.
-The C.A.M.P. system is an extremely useful addition - and you can keep upgrading your set. It's often like having a mobile town with you at all times, and other players can make use of it too if you plunk it down in a good area, effectively turning any areas frequented by players into bustling towns with useful stations to craft or hang out at.

Negative
-Bugged enemies (T-posing, getting stuck, spawning weirdly, AI stopping working)
-Crashes
-Network errors
-Some of the quests seem annoying (Jumping puzzles? Really?)
-Graphics and animation is as janky as to be expected in bethesda games except that you can't use mods to fix these issues.
-Food/Water consumption is a bit annoying until you take some suitable perks. (Here's hoping there's items you can craft that will slow hunger/thirst though.)
-The pipboy interface needs some improvements. (Needs to be a bit simpler to navigate and better ways to sort out your items.)
-A lot of freezing, dropped frames, hitching, and fairly terrible loading times. (People who had SSDs in Xbones had better luck with load times though.)
-Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs just in general

This game has a lot of potential but man does it need several coats of paint post-launch.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 24, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Well I didn't see any soul crushing bugs last night. It appears that the AP regeneration bug from the closed stress test has stuck around. There were also some login issues but that's to be expected. Outside of that it looks like most people had only minor problems like T posing, texture popping, frame rate drops and some AI glitches. This went way better than I expected.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 24, 2018

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Some other things:

From what I saw, the tone of the game's questing seems pretty nonserious - a bit like you're playing the Wild Wasteland mode. Though the main questline and several sidequests seem a bit more somber, there's goofy setpieces and quests that have a lot of oddball humor in them. One example being a bunch of people's corpses stuffed weirdly into various places at a diner - like one dude shoved partway into an oven with his legs dangling out, and another guy who has a recording of him begging to be let out of a refrigerator he hid inside of. I'm not going to be surprised if a Johnny Five-Aces reference shows up somewhere.

Given how goofy things will inherently be for this game with weird player names, outfits, monster-factory-faces/bodies, and behavior - I think going for the Wild Wasteland-ish tone that I saw so far was a good idea. A multiplayer game is just going to inherently be goofy as hell so it's a good idea to lean into that.

The other thing I noticed atmosphere-wise is the more desolate remote regions start to get pretty creepy - there's really tough monsters out there too so players start getting cautious. I saw a lot of tip-toeing around higher level yao guais and other things.

Devs have mentioned before that there's apparently a few boss mobs that will actually stalk the characters in stages to induce paranoia, while also letting them know a boss mob is coming to attack so they can prepare - such as seeing mothman's eyes glowing in the distance a good while before he actually shows up to attack. I didn't see that in the gameplay I saw but if there's stuff like that in the game, it will got a long way to make exploration in remote and dangerous areas pretty wild.

From what I saw, higher level mobs are still plenty defeatable at low levels, but they just present a real threat. For example, I saw a group of about 6 level 4-6 players take on a large level 30 mob for an event quest - only one of them died, though several came close. The boss mob had a lot of HP but the damage being done with the low level weapons was still substantial enough to not make the fight into an annoying bullet-sponge thing.

Basically it looks like you shouldn't be afraid to explore way beyond your level in the game as there's a big risk-reward factor going on. If you're rolling out with a group of friends, taking on higher level areas a lower levels will be smoother too.

This game is also definitely shooting for a 'camping in the wilderness' vibe and while watching people play I couldn't help but think of how backpacking trips I've taken in mountain ranges felt - from the more tourist-trap areas full of way too many people, to the more remote regions that the real serious hikers head out to where you will run into fewer people, but with more survivalist camaraderie with the random people you run into.

Oh and also - there appears to be no limit on how many people you can get together with if you use friends to sync into the same server. Which means you could potentially have a group of about 20+ goons in multiple teams running around doing quests together. Incorrect - the game uses a server system with up to 20 players per instanced world. I don't know if this means you'll get a 'server full' error when trying to join your pals, but I did see groups of like 8+ players who were in discord playing together on the same server.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 24, 2018

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is that where some wizard was waiting to charm one of you so you get murdered by your entourage and have to reload 20 times until the wizard fails his casting roll? gently caress that place.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

Is that where some wizard was waiting to charm one of you so you get murdered by your entourage and have to reload 20 times until the wizard fails his casting roll? gently caress that place.

yep that was the first stone wall of an encounter. the wizard would immediately pop a mirror image too so you'd have to frantically burn through each one before the charm went off

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

So what you are saying is that the game isn't absolutely dog poo poo?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Spacedad posted:

My general impression after having watched multiple people playing the game:

Positive
-Playing with friends is the best way to play this game - having a good group of people to joke with and do stuff together is where the game comes alive.
-The VATs system works pretty nicely - especially against enemies moving laterally from you.
-The card perk system appears to work pretty well, and you can mix and match your card loadout however you want.
- playing with friends makes even a lovely korean MMO fun for a few hours (hmm, beta session was four hours...) so that doesn't really count imo
- maybe everyone's playing wrong but I didn't see anyone cripple limbs with VATS so that's vastly reduced usefulness
- having to pull a random card to get specific skills you know you'll want like hacking and lockpicking is idiotic

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

It doesn't look awful, it doesn't look good either, if it didn't have "Fallout" stamped on it no one would care about this game at all.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

sharknado slashfic posted:

It doesn't look awful, it doesn't look good either, if it didn't have "Fallout" stamped on it no one would care about this game at all.
yeah that's pretty much it, which is about what I expected. passable and might even be fun for a bit but with some really head scratching decisions and a bunch of stuff missing or twisted into a dumber version

at least there's lots of poo poo to collect and break down so if that was your favorite thing to do in fo4 you'll loving love this. haul trash for days and be the wasteland janitor hero

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

SwitchbladeKult posted:

So what you are saying is that the game isn't absolutely dog poo poo?

At this point it's mostly mileage may vary. Depending on who I watched, some people had better or worse experiences. The biggest issue at the moment obviously is all the bugs.

CrashCat posted:

- playing with friends makes even a lovely korean MMO fun for a few hours (hmm, beta session was four hours...) so that doesn't really count imo

True. Though I mean...this game was sort of designed around play with others as opposed to how a single player game would be designed. And it shows. From the arenas to the event quests, to how quest hubs are laid out.

quote:

- maybe everyone's playing wrong but I didn't see anyone cripple limbs with VATS so that's vastly reduced usefulness

People seemed to mainly be using VATs to target enemies that were moving quickly laterally or when they didn't want to damage a friendly player. I also saw a lot of people using it for headshots. I didn't see anyone really experimenting with limb breakage though.

quote:

- having to pull a random card to get specific skills you know you'll want like hacking and lockpicking is idiotic

I agree but from what I saw, almost everyone tended to get similar sets of cards to work with.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

I agree but from what I saw, almost everyone tended to get similar sets of cards to work with.

Are you able to trade cards? I didn't catch anyone interacting with the trading system.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

GWBBQ posted:

I expect crashes, and item glitches items reappearing doesn't seem that unusual given the bug that's persisted through 3, NV, and 4 where mines that blow up or are disarmed don't reappear after quickloading. The server must be hammered, I'm 2 hours into downloading the second file and still have 4 left to go with a solid 90-100 mbps connection on my end. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, though.

To amend my earlier statement, my computer goes into a hard lock-up when I try to leave the vault, from which the only escape is resetting my pc. This has happened 3 times now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so... no beta hours today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll be the dumbo who breaks tradition and say that I don't hate the card system. I hate the 'all your stats start at one' portion, but the idea of finding collectibles that augment an existing build is fun and good. The real problem is they replaced existing builds with collectibles which is way worse.

Give me skills back, and stats to start with. Maybe a few perks to pick from, but then have cards scattered about that make these things better so I have some sort of progression. No need to gain more stats/skills/perks with each level, just like it currently is, just let me make a loadout to start with then leave the rest to cards and I'd be fine with that.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 24, 2018