Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Southern Vulcan posted:

Hey all. I’m hoping you all have some suggestions and can help me with some ideas. I have a 700 sqft lanai on top of a condo building in Hawaii with a concrete base that I’d like to do some flooring on. It’s uncomfortable to walk barefoot on and our feet get filthy walking out there.

We found some fake grass that was super comfy but I can’t find it less than 20 dollars a sqft and I can’t afford that. We could do outdoor mats but I’d like something a bit more sturdy / substantial and I think it’d be really hard to keep it clean.

Any suggestions?

Here you go: https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/functional/17885/21957/

They all have the same name, but your options are white or gray poly at $2.30/sqft, turf at $4/sqft, and parquet-style acacia wood at about $3.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Suspect Bucket posted:

What are the thinnest, deepest drawers available? I want to put a 4in drink rest rail behind a 6ft long couch, but I dont want the dead spave to go completely to waste. Probably gonna store fishing rods back there.

My dad came up with / stole this idea for me and my sister. Back when I was younger, my twin bed was in a narrow corner with no room for a side table, so he made a drink rail in back of the bed so I could safely have a glass of water back there while I read in bed. He extended the idea to my sister's room, and then her apartments/homes so far, as she's had the same (really nice and comfy) sectional forever, but no room or desire for a coffee table. It's basically just a 2x4 on L brackets level with the top of the sofa or bed, and it keeps drinks securely upright. Besides the dead space, it's a great idea. If I could cram a drawer or two back there to keep spare USB cables, chargers, and the remote you only need to change the surround sound, that would own. But i have never come across a 3.5 inch wide drawer.

I'd make something from scratch but a circular saw is gonna be hard to come by, just wondering if a commercial solution already exists.
It sounds like you want something like this gateleg table minus the table drop leaves? Am I getting the concept right?

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Here you go: https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/functional/17885/21957/

They all have the same name, but your options are white or gray poly at $2.30/sqft, turf at $4/sqft, and parquet-style acacia wood at about $3.

Hmm that would be a good idea. The issue is that we don’t have an Ikea in Hawaii and shipping for 300 sqft was 200,000 dollars. Even shipping for 9 sqft was 30 dollars.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Envirotile-Reversible-16-in-x-16-in-x-0-75-in-Earth-Brick-Face-Flat-Profile-Rubber-Paver-MT5001607HD/302907045

Not sure where exactly you are in Hawaii, but if you're near a Home Depot that might be in stock.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Suspect Bucket posted:

What are the thinnest, deepest drawers available? I want to put a 4in drink rest rail behind a 6ft long couch, but I dont want the dead spave to go completely to waste. Probably gonna store fishing rods back there.

My dad came up with / stole this idea for me and my sister. Back when I was younger, my twin bed was in a narrow corner with no room for a side table, so he made a drink rail in back of the bed so I could safely have a glass of water back there while I read in bed. He extended the idea to my sister's room, and then her apartments/homes so far, as she's had the same (really nice and comfy) sectional forever, but no room or desire for a coffee table. It's basically just a 2x4 on L brackets level with the top of the sofa or bed, and it keeps drinks securely upright. Besides the dead space, it's a great idea. If I could cram a drawer or two back there to keep spare USB cables, chargers, and the remote you only need to change the surround sound, that would own. But i have never come across a 3.5 inch wide drawer.

I'd make something from scratch but a circular saw is gonna be hard to come by, just wondering if a commercial solution already exists.

Are you accessing this space from the 3.5" wide end? Unless you get really lucky you're best off making it yourself or hiring a carpenter. There are "spice rack drawer" designs for thin gaps also, or you could just fill the space under the shelf with a plastic tube and store your rods in that.

If you have pictures that would be great, I've a space this sounds useful for.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Suspect Bucket posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeK0oDz0Us
No power tools required.

Might want to try searching for bookcase headboards and storage headboards, but not sure how closely the measurements would work for behind a couch.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
https://lifehacker.com/make-a-sliding-spice-rack-for-that-awkward-space-in-you-1460961420

"Sliding spice rack DIY" should get you some decent search results; this is just the first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

effika posted:

https://lifehacker.com/make-a-sliding-spice-rack-for-that-awkward-space-in-you-1460961420

"Sliding spice rack DIY" should get you some decent search results; this is just the first.

This is giving me an idea for a narrow cabinet next to the oven in my kitchen. I currently use it for storing towels and napkins, but access is terrible; having a slide-out drawer would make it a lot nicer.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is giving me an idea for a narrow cabinet next to the oven in my kitchen. I currently use it for storing towels and napkins, but access is terrible; having a slide-out drawer would make it a lot nicer.

storing paper and textiles next to your oven seems less than ideal

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Crosspost from Crappy Construction:

I guess the owners pooled their money when they built it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

storing paper and textiles next to your oven seems less than ideal

Just textiles, and to be honest they're there because nothing else really fit at all well. Also if they catch fire it's because the cabinet wall burned through and at that point I think I have bigger problems.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you have pictures that would be great, I've a space this sounds useful for.

Nothing really to show, it's just securing a 2x4 to a wall with L brackets (screwed into studs), then shoving the couch up to it.

I will investigate the diy spice drawers. I'll have to borrow tools from someone.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nothing really to show, it's just securing a 2x4 to a wall with L brackets (screwed into studs), then shoving the couch up to it.

I will investigate the diy spice drawers. I'll have to borrow tools from someone.

Also if you're talking about putting long stuff in there, could you add more shelves going down behind the sofa and then just slide in your fishing rods or whatever?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Okay, I'd got confused. I'm thinking I might make a thin/deep unit like that though, it's a neat idea.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also if you're talking about putting long stuff in there, could you add more shelves going down behind the sofa and then just slide in your fishing rods or whatever?

Yeah, that's what I think the easiest thing will be. I'd still like one drawer in there for remotes and crap. Maybe a long skinny basket?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, that's what I think the easiest thing will be. I'd still like one drawer in there for remotes and crap. Maybe a long skinny basket?

Would be a little more effort, but what if you made one section of the shelf a hinged door to a compartment below? Remotes and stuff could go in there and you wouldn't have to deal with some super-long drawer in an awkward place.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I propose doing whatever is easiest, then moving the couch to grab your poles.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

peanut posted:

I propose doing whatever is easiest, then moving the couch to grab your poles.

I would put a drawer or topside lid- basically whatever makes it easiest to access them. If you make it hard to grab them you’ll either stop fishing or you’ll leave them out and nobody wants that. Maybe a sliding rack? Probably easy enough to fabricate out of wood and drawer components.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 19, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slot them in vertically so the hooks dangle over the heads of people sitting on the sofa, and glue eyelets to your remote controls

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Crosspost from Crappy Construction:

I guess the owners pooled their money when they built it

Yo, dawg, we heard you like pools, so we -- you know what, just forget it.

Clearly Lauren is a fan of mysteries.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ZamBOOni_Rodeo posted:

Yo, dawg, we heard you like pools, so we -- you know what, just forget it.

Clearly Lauren is a fan of mysteries.

The effects of the miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why even have the books on display if you're going to do that? Just keep them in a drawer.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I hate this poo poo so much. One lesson I learned very early in kindergarten was how to put the books back on the shelves with the SPINES OUT so that we knew which book was which and to protect the pages from damage (especially important because our class pet was a rabbit). I was watching HGTV not too long ago and Joanna Gaines was instructing her young daughter on how to put the books on the shelf backwards while staging a house and it pissed me off. I collect antique books because they are beautiful and/or interesting and I sure as poo poo want them to be properly displayed. And then for the non-antique ones, I just want to be able to tell what they are.

Oh, and fun side story about books as decor: Years ago, an art broker friend of mine was doing the art for a super fancy hotel. The hotel had some huge glass bookcases and wanted to fill them with nothing but red leather-bound books for a striking artsy vibe. Friend then turned to her antique book dealer friend to acquire a couple hundred red books. She insisted that all the books be nice topics, namely history and literature, since they would be on display.

Book dealer gets the books, but says that three of them are not history or literature, but they HAVE to go into the display.

Those three books? Diseases of the Anus and Rectum, Illustrated, Volumes 1, 2, and 3, published in the late 19th century, beautifully bound in red leather, and full of exquisite illustrations of diseased butts.

They decided to put one of them in the display and kept the other two for themselves. Pretty awesome Easter egg for any hotel guest who'd care enough to look at all the books in the case.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I do think that shelving books spine in is dumb, but there's plenty of historical precedent for it, that was the norm a few hundred years ago

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

I hate this poo poo so much. One lesson I learned very early in kindergarten was how to put the books back on the shelves with the SPINES OUT so that we knew which book was which and to protect the pages from damage (especially important because our class pet was a rabbit). I was watching HGTV not too long ago and Joanna Gaines was instructing her young daughter on how to put the books on the shelf backwards while staging a house and it pissed me off. I collect antique books because they are beautiful and/or interesting and I sure as poo poo want them to be properly displayed. And then for the non-antique ones, I just want to be able to tell what they are.

Oh, and fun side story about books as decor: Years ago, an art broker friend of mine was doing the art for a super fancy hotel. The hotel had some huge glass bookcases and wanted to fill them with nothing but red leather-bound books for a striking artsy vibe. Friend then turned to her antique book dealer friend to acquire a couple hundred red books. She insisted that all the books be nice topics, namely history and literature, since they would be on display.

Book dealer gets the books, but says that three of them are not history or literature, but they HAVE to go into the display.

Those three books? Diseases of the Anus and Rectum, Illustrated, Volumes 1, 2, and 3, published in the late 19th century, beautifully bound in red leather, and full of exquisite illustrations of diseased butts.

They decided to put one of them in the display and kept the other two for themselves. Pretty awesome Easter egg for any hotel guest who'd care enough to look at all the books in the case.

Aww they broke up the set!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

absolem posted:

I do think that shelving books spine in is dumb, but there's plenty of historical precedent for it, that was the norm a few hundred years ago

Citation needed, as every stately home library I've ever seen proudly displays the books spine out so everyone who visits can see how many expensive books on every subject you can afford to have and never read.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aww they broke up the set!

I knooww, but it was a compromise to get at least one of those books into the display (worth it). On the plus side, the location of all three volumes is known so it wouldn't be impossible to reunite them.

Oh, also thanks thread because now my husband and I use boob terminology for the boob lights our house came with. We were changing a lightbulb in one of them and when putting it back together, husband asked for the second metal part that goes on the base.

"Hey do you have that part?"
"The areola? Yup got it right here. Where's the nipple?"
"In my pocket."
"Okay."

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

went to Delft last weekend, where Royal Delft/De Koninklijke Porceleyne Fles has been doing the famous blue-painted ceramic/pottery for centuries

anyway, apparently business was rough in the early part of the 1900s, and for a few decades they mostly did architectural ceramic. Took some pictures because I thought it was cool as hell; the stuff is striking and, being ceramic, shows absolutely no wear. Of course, if something gets smashed, getting replacements would be near impossible...

Beautiful little town, too, with a great antiques market on Saturdays.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I swear I'll stop posting about my stupid room soon. But not yet!

Here's a photoshop of what I was thinking recently. Kinda eyeballed the angles and dimensions. The bottom edge of the design is supposed to line up with the door, the bottom edge of the top stripe with the balcony door.

Today I went around with some string to mark these edges, see if I could get it level, what it would look like etc. and it got me thinking, what if I just filled that section in as is, like so:

Not necessarily in that colour. In fact, the grey we picked for the walls came out kinda very pale turqouise already and I feel like any more of that is just gonna make it look like a bathroom. Just, y'know, big old broad stripe.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

I swear I'll stop posting about my stupid room soon. But not yet!

I've been posting about my dumb house for a year and a half now. You've got a long way to go.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Here's a photoshop of what I was thinking recently. Kinda eyeballed the angles and dimensions. The bottom edge of the design is supposed to line up with the door, the bottom edge of the top stripe with the balcony door.

Today I went around with some string to mark these edges, see if I could get it level, what it would look like etc. and it got me thinking, what if I just filled that section in as is, like so:

Not necessarily in that colour. In fact, the grey we picked for the walls came out kinda very pale turqouise already and I feel like any more of that is just gonna make it look like a bathroom. Just, y'know, big old broad stripe.

I can't say I'm into either style, but it's good that you are. What colour are you thinking instead?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A darker grey might look nice and understated buuuuut also kinda like a funeral card. I feel like it needs a splash of bold colour now and I automatically gravitate towards magenta. Got some violet left over too, but it's a dark room, I got a feeling that might make it appear darker.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You don't need to add the bold colors via wall paint, remember. In fact, you probably shouldn't, generally speaking.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?

mutata posted:

You don't need to add the bold colors via wall paint, remember. In fact, you probably shouldn't, generally speaking.

I just want to add to the truth of this statement. Often the best way to add color into a room is through accessories (think about purchasing like a magenta rug or something, maybe a blue accent lamp etc...) rather than doing something like painting a whole room which you might find you don't like as much 1 or 2 years down the road.

Paint is a lot more difficult to change than a rug and there is always the chance that if you need to move or sell your place for some reason, what you might consider really cool, someone else might consider very tacky and could harm your chances of resale.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Give up on stripes, move in furniture, gently caress around w decorative masking tape for a year or two.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Lotta people got bitten by a crayola box as a child.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On a different topic, does anyone have any recommendations for books about architecture? Something that's, like, a layman's introduction to how houses are designed from an aesthetic and practical perspective. Not so much on the construction techniques, more on the "you want to put the kitchen over here because <reasons>" kind of thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

IKillForPie posted:

I just want to add to the truth of this statement. Often the best way to add color into a room is through accessories (think about purchasing like a magenta rug or something, maybe a blue accent lamp etc...) rather than doing something like painting a whole room which you might find you don't like as much 1 or 2 years down the road.

Paint is a lot more difficult to change than a rug and there is always the chance that if you need to move or sell your place for some reason, what you might consider really cool, someone else might consider very tacky and could harm your chances of resale.

Strong paint can look really good as part of a cohesive design but it can greatly limit your options for accessory/furniture/decor colors.

A few years ago I lived in one floor of an old early 20th century (as in horsehair in the plaster and a working fireplace in Brookline, MA old) house with a pretty dining room that had wainscoting up to chair rail height. The upper half of the walls was painted this sickly hospital pink, which I replaced with this lovely shade of dark blue, and I was fortunately able to just leave the wainscoting white. The color was definitely striking but the end result is one of my favorite rooms in all of the places I’ve lived.

I used the leftover blue paint 2 years later with my girlfriend in a new place to paint an accent wall in our bedroom. Looked great there too. But also blue is our favorite color and we didn’t have a problem working with lots of tone-on-tone and light neutral furniture. But complementary or adjacent colors in decor looked really great too. I should note that it wasn’t a particularly bright or lush shade of blue though, but it was kinda dark. If I can find some photos or the name of the paint I’ll let you know.

Edit: here it is, Behr Bermudan Blue :swoon:

https://www.google.com/search?q=beh...biw=375&bih=553

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On a different topic, does anyone have any recommendations for books about architecture? Something that's, like, a layman's introduction to how houses are designed from an aesthetic and practical perspective. Not so much on the construction techniques, more on the "you want to put the kitchen over here because <reasons>" kind of thing.

This isn't exactly what you're looking for (because you're presumably something more accessible) but Christopher Alexander has a long series of very heady books on the subject. He's most well known for the Design Patterns book which was aped by software folk who clearly didn't read all the other ones first.

That said, the entirety of the design patterns book is basically a dictionary of "you should put X here because Y".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Try an evening sun yellow/orange. I'd say it's less aggressive than neon teal or pink and probably easier to work with, if you must have a stripe.