Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It is kind of crazy that, Halo aside, Microsoft doesn’t have any other compelling/exclusive properties. Like, what would be the closest thing the Xbox has to Team Ico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Chairchucker posted:

Yeah just look at all the examples of other studios who Microsoft have purchased and then put to work making Halo games
Sounds like someone is still mad about WWEHalo 2K19

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Or they get to make Alpha Protocol 2: The Archening

If some of the stories of Obsidian are true the management from Microsoft might not be a bad thing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They want them to remake planescape torment I bet

Also today I learned bluesnews still exists

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scaramouche posted:

They want them to remake planescape torment I bet

Doubt it TBH. First person RPG, slap 'by the makers of FONV' on the side.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Scaramouche posted:

Also today I learned bluesnews still exists

The guy does good work. Not alot of homegrown sites from 20 years ago are still around.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Originally accidently posted this in the GOG thread.
==============

So is anyone foolish enough to believe the latest Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar announcement from visionary dreamweaver Cleveland Blakemore?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/650670/announcements/detail/1681424866258719127

quote:

Oct 22
V2 Due Next Two Weeks, Turns Display Even Better!

-Version 2 in 2 weeks, sure why not.
-Turning animations from Lands of Lore (why?)
-Price cut and or another price cut happening, who knows
-GOG platform release threatened once Grimoire V2 is out
-Even lower price on GOG promised to piss off previous buyers of Grimoire
-Grimoire manual release stopped being mentioned/promised

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

-Price cut and or another price cut happening, who knows
-Even lower price on GOG promised to piss off previous buyers of Grimoire
I think it's: Base price dropped to 19.95 on steam. Will then go on sale for $9.95. When it goes on GOG the price will be the same as steam $19.95, and everyone who owns the steam version will also get GOG version (though GOG connect?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't the Grimoire dude the one who was saying steam sales were killing the industry?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grimoire dude says a lot of things

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Grimoire dude says a lot of things

I look forward to buying his game at 5 bucks because "what the hell it's only 5 bucks" and never playing it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you missed the original turning, it's a treat. The scene changes, and all the decorations shuffle in from the opposite side.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If you missed the original turning, it's a treat. The scene changes, and all the decorations shuffle in from the opposite side.

Are there any videos or GIFs of this?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
It's like Might and Magic on the NES. Go Ahead Neanderthals!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Behold!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ugh, that's so disorienting to watch. Turning does not work that way!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

honestly that's a dumb but cheap way to do it and a fair few older games used it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm trying to find the ones with the shrubs. Because they were part of a different layer, they walk in from the side of the frame like they came late and are trying to shuffle in unnoticed.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

That...uh, sure is.....
Is it just me, or do 80% of the graphics in that clip look ripped off from RPG Maker stock asset libraries?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

What the gently caress

On another note, what do y'all reckon about Pathfinder? I trust the opinions of this thread more than the actual thread for the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

precision posted:

On another note, what do y'all reckon about Pathfinder? I trust the opinions of this thread more than the actual thread for the game.

I'm always interested in games like BG, so I followed the thread here on SA and did a bit of outside research. Given the ludicrous number of patches, the fact that the game becomes nearly unplayable in later acts and may still be literally unbeatable due to technical problems, I would recommend staying very far away for many months. My opinion is not helped by the fact that the gameplay at many times sharply diverges from the P&P in terms of stats and difficulty, to which the devs basically reply "git gud!". Not only does it show a lack of care about the player base or any creative integrity, those are probably the most moronic and poorly spelled words in any language.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
On the other hand, the game is amazing, huge in an unfathomable way for 2018, and certainly by now the bugs are seriously minimized. Might still be game-breaking things there, to be fair, so waiting might not be a bad idea. But I have played nothing else since it came out, personally. It feels far more like a Baldur's Gate spiritual successor than Pillars of Eternity did (for better and worse) in most ways other than the party character interaction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unfortunately BG style combat always sucks!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

precision posted:

What the gently caress

I think it will probably be worth it eventually, but needs some more patch time. It felt like an alpha when it came out. It's up to being a beta now. I'm hoping to play more than the first couple levels of it around Christmas at this rate.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pathfinder is so much fun and also it's a buggy unbalanced mess

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

That...uh, sure is.....
Is it just me, or do 80% of the graphics in that clip look ripped off from RPG Maker stock asset libraries?

Not really? Apart from the weird turning animation the Grimoire graphics are mostly inspired by wizardry 7

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Pathfinder has the skeleton of an excellent game, but it still needs a month or two in the burner to clean out all the bugs.

The encounters did feel overtuned (I've never played a Pathfinder game so I can't personally make a comparison between the game and the tabletop) but I didn't feel like it was completely unmanageable on the Challenging/Core Rules difficulty. And there is at least an option to adjust enemy stats.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I had a lot of fun with Pathfinder... and I just uninstalled it yesterday. Bugs are one thing, but load times get longer and longer the further you get into the game. Halfway into act 2 (of what, 7?), I was spending minutes waiting for every location to load, and that's a pain in the rear end with the kingdom-management mechanic. I'd stay away from the game until January.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Grimoire is pretty much a shareware clone of Wiz 7 from the 90s. So there isn't even the smallest of improvements like Vogel has done for his Ultima 4-6 / Magic Candle / whatever versions over the years. The graphics are very similar to Wiz 7 but worse. The way he does turning is kinda like games much older than Wiz 7 but that's the kind of low budget throwback you'd see in shareware a lot. The whole thing is a historical oddity of what a less crazy shareware dev might've produced in the mid 90s.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Synthbuttrange posted:

Unfortunately BG style combat always sucks!
Well, if you agree with this, then yes, stay far away. It is like Baldur's Gate but it goes from level 1 to (I assume) level 20, with similar or greater complexity of strategy and the kingdom management stuff thrown on top of it (unless you shut it off), so it is like both Baldur's Gate games at the same time and the expansion and a casual kingdom management sim thrown on top. Not for the faint of gamingheart even once it runs more smoothly. I freely admit I had to manually edit a save file to prevent the game from ending due to a bug (though in fairness it was kingdom-related, so I could have just shut off kinhdom management, but I want to see that play out)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Doing a single character run of Icewind Dale, Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief. Worked my way up to the Vale of Shadows, all the resting I've done means that my adventurer has already been at it for half a year.

Ended up going Sword and Board with a longsword, proficiency-wise. The lack of good longswords up to this point (I'm about to enter Kresselac's Tomb and I just got a +1 Longsword a hot second ago) is making me wonder if I'd have been better served going maces (there seems to be many more of them).

Also, why the hell does the last tomb before Kresselac have endlessly respawning skeletons? All the other Tombs emptied once I'd killed the inhabitants, so I've been able to lure them outside into one in one fights. I'm not dodgy enough to kill all the skeltons and make it downstairs to the key I need to grab before I bottom out on HP and have to flee. Has anyone else done a single character run that has advice?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Well, if you agree with this, then yes, stay far away.

Its just as I get older I'm finding RTWP simultaneously too boring and hectic somehow. Just give me a jump cut to the end of the battle. :v:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If anyone's interested, the remaster of part 2 of the Bard's Tale Trilogy, The Destiny Knight, is now out! Available on GOG and a I presume Steam as well.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
IWD1 has a great selection of axes of different powers, but there's also decent morning stars with on hit heal procs, or additional damage, and later on neat 1h long swords as well. Since you're doing shield, you can also equip a sling, and plink away while mobs close the distance then switch to melee. I've never felt bad about SKeeping a change in proficiency if the RNG doesn't help out out, or increasing proficiency past what might be allowed normally... my dude is a freakin hero, he just practices more eh!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
what difficulty level are you playing on? If you can skate through a few encounters on insane you'll outlevel the content and make it significantly easier.

Personally I think the blunt weapons are the way to go in IWD and a solo FMC is a fun run because of it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JustJeff88 posted:

If anyone's interested, the remaster of part 2 of the Bard's Tale Trilogy, The Destiny Knight, is now out! Available on GOG and a I presume Steam as well.

Never got into those but people seem to love them. My only experience was a free mobile copy of I think the first remastered one, with Cary Elwes voicing the Bard.... sucked because it was on mobile, and it just seemed like it was super hammy comedy and not much else. How wrong am I?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fuzz posted:

Never got into those but people seem to love them. My only experience was a free mobile copy of I think the first remastered one, with Cary Elwes voicing the Bard.... sucked because it was on mobile, and it just seemed like it was super hammy comedy and not much else. How wrong am I?

So that's a completely different game, an ARPG from the 2000s. The original trilogy were much more similar to Wizardry than Diablo and from the 1980s. They're... very much like Wizardry. Wizardry 1-3.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I read the Wizard IV Lets Play and was amazed by it but I cannot imagine that kind of gameplay being fun to a modern audience.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ratchild13 posted:

IWD1 has a great selection of axes of different powers, but there's also decent morning stars with on hit heal procs, or additional damage, and later on neat 1h long swords as well. Since you're doing shield, you can also equip a sling, and plink away while mobs close the distance then switch to melee. I've never felt bad about SKeeping a change in proficiency if the RNG doesn't help out out, or increasing proficiency past what might be allowed normally... my dude is a freakin hero, he just practices more eh!

That's must be why the game threw at least two +1 Slings at me. I forgot slings are 1 handed weapons, letting me continue to use my shield, unlike the composite bow that mostly sits uselessly in my inventory. Shadowkeeper works for EE, right? Still considering holding out for better longswords. Also considering having him do the Time Warp (Export and re-Import into a new game) and have him take on the Frozen North with his alternate universe Fighter/Mage/Cleric self.

andrew smash posted:

what difficulty level are you playing on? If you can skate through a few encounters on insane you'll outlevel the content and make it significantly easier.

Personally I think the blunt weapons are the way to go in IWD and a solo FMC is a fun run because of it.

Think it's on Core rules, I haven't touched the slider. Def going to kick up the dificulty a bit if I do end up Time Warping him back to the start. He's finally got the gear and levels for 3 first level spells and 3 second level spells, so he'd wreck everything if I didn't.

Edit: I'm now imagining an LP of this game where every time the party hits a difficulty wall they just dive into a new universe and recruit their new weirdly divergent self.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I meant that literally, for solo runs putting the difficulty slider higher makes the game easier because you get way more XP and you aren't splitting it 6 ways.