Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your opinion on Bowsette
This poll is closed.
Cool and good 84 0.02%
Thicc 465888 99.93%
Who? 21 0.00%
Weird as are the people that keep bringing this up 67 0.01%
Should be more muscular with green skin and red hair 74 0.02%
Hope she's announced for Smash 63 0.01%
Total: 466197 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GUI posted:

The Slant review goes into what you can expect from the writing.

lol the follow-up
https://twitter.com/certified_ed/status/1055544500712562688

Guessing this will just feed the chuds pov of all non-slobbering reviews as clickbait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I really hope that, when the world ends, it ENDS ends, and doesn't leave a Mad Max scenario, because you just loving know there's going to be an ineffectual but inexhaustible cult of True Gamers riding the dirtlands for paraphernalia, clad in Gameboy Platemail, thefting oil for generators to force nonbelievers into live or die in game-offs. They rate all things, and if you're below a 9/10, you're fuckin' dead, kiddo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Black August posted:

I really hope that, when the world ends, it ENDS ends, and doesn't leave a Mad Max scenario, because you just loving know there's going to be an ineffectual but inexhaustible cult of True Gamers riding the dirtlands for paraphernalia, clad in Gameboy Platemail, thefting oil for generators to force nonbelievers into live or die in game-offs. They rate all things, and if you're below a 9/10, you're fuckin' dead, kiddo.
PRAISE BE THE ANGEL OF CONSOLES

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Random Hajile posted:

If it matters any, Jim Sterling thought RDR2 was refreshing compared to GTA5's tedious cynicism.

Still not buying it until it's sub-$30.

Jim Sterling is a hack whose opinions mean literally nothing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm awake again and i think the post credits of xenoblade x is even dumber than i did last night. its like MGS2 level of "let's write something preposterous and hope we never have to actually explain it in a sequel"

Black August posted:

written by tim buckley

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

It's ironic considering that they clearly did in the first game because all three major areas of the game represent different eras of the genre in setting and tone, i.e. Armadillo is much like an original "black hats vs white hats" style western, Mexico is a more morally ambiguous spaghetti western with not much in the way of heroes, and Blackwater is a revisionist Western ala Unforgiven.
Tbh even this kind clear cut demarcation seems too simplified for me.

Like for starters there's no singing cowboy section. Where are my singing cowboys Rockstar???????

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

GraveVideos posted:

I don't know, that's already above the expected writing subtlety in gaming. I'd like for games to have overall better writing but outside of a few indie titles (like the amazing Cart Life) I've never seen real life issues analyzed more thoroughly in the medium. Even the few games with genuinely good writing like The Witcher 3 excel more in the quality of dialogue and moment-to-moment storytelling rather than doing justice to more broad historical or social issues.

Games are meant primarily for young people or at least meant to be enjoyed by them so they're not usually subtle. The medium is also more conducive to character and world-building but tougher when it comes to story-telling. Still, there are a lot of game stories I at least find enjoyable in an action movie sense and some I consider genuinely good, but they keep the scope of game and story smaller.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

Tbh even this kind clear cut demarcation seems too simplified for me.

Like for starters there's no singing cowboy section. Where are my singing cowboys Rockstar???????
The world is not ready for a video game adaption of Paint Your Wagon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm awake again and i think the post credits of xenoblade x is even dumber than i did last night. its like MGS2 level of "let's write something preposterous and hope we never have to actually explain it in a sequel"

I'm sure we'll get answers in the sequel they're definitely making just for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

PRAISE BE THE ANGEL OF CONSOLES

console peasants would be killed on sight

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sunset Riders defeats another challenger

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

For all of the eye rolling, I'd be much more interested in a Red Dead Redemption written by Chris Metzen than one written by Rockstar.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mutata posted:

For all of the eye rolling, I'd be much more interested in a Red Dead Redemption written by Chris Metzen than one written by Rockstar.

a cursed Cherokee gold hoard corrupts Sheriff Smokewater into the evil gold knight GOLDOR

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Black August posted:

We've already seen what post-apocalyptic worlds look like and it ain't Mad Max. There's no reason to believe that after mass die offs human society wouldn't behave more or less as it did in previous ages when population density was at those levels, just concentrated further from the equator than last time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of graces f is better written than 90% of video games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

tales of graces f is better written than 90% of video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFdYHToUd8

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My one-year-old nephew’s mutterings are better written than 90% of video games tbf

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mutata posted:

Yes, I would like to buy a Fields of The Nephilim game very much.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Was Life is Strange 2 good I still haven't played it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chumbler posted:

I'm sure we'll get answers in the sequel they're definitely making just for me.
given that xenoblade x shares character design with xenosaga, the two are interlinked in my mind and i dont know if i want a followup, based on my very very very very bad time with xenosaga 2

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Xenosaga fukken sukked

Xenogears at least had that PS1 fever dream feel

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean, 2 was one of the worst RPGs ever made. 1 was okay, and 3 was good, I'd say.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
RDR2 has been touting it's new interaction scheme for a while, where you can highlight someone and press a button and it'll let you be friendly or antagonistic or whatever. What I want to know is can I shoot and kill people who give me bullshit quests or who irk me. Like, if there's a railway tycoon flaunting how much better he is than the people who work on those railroads, can I just plug him and severe his line or a) will I have to jump through a dozen short quests before killing him during a cinematic or b) shoot him only to have him either stand back up like nothing happened or be magically revived during a later scene. When I play it (let me be honest, I will play this eventually) I will be interested to see how much of a grim angle of death I can be. Can I execute whole towns? Do they repopulate, or do they become the new homes for rats and vultures?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Last I heard, Xenoblade X was getting a sequel as is Xenoblade 2. Working on more than one game at a time seems like a bad idea for Monolith though.

Middle school me would have loved this game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't still at least chuckle at butt jokes you're probably dead inside.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheria was clearly alive inside

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

bloodychill posted:

Last I heard, Xenoblade X was getting a sequel as is Xenoblade 2. Working on more than one game at a time seems like a bad idea for Monolith though.

They haven't said anything like that, the director even said if they were going to continue the series it'd probably not be a sequel to either XC2 or X.

They're working on one game right now and staffing up for a second one past that, different teams/directors IIRC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Was Life is Strange 2 good I still haven't played it

My wife and I loved the first episode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

written by tim buckley

Xenoblade X is like the only game to subvert my expectations to only U turn around and meet them.

That post credit scene is so bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Xenoblade X is like the only game to subvert my expectations to only U turn around and meet them.

That post credit scene is so bad.

Yeah but most of the rest of the game is good and the setting and aesthetics are cool.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

chumbler posted:

If you don't still at least chuckle at butt jokes you're probably dead inside.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I’d recognize Miranda’s rear end anywhere.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bloodychill posted:

Games are meant primarily for young people or at least meant to be enjoyed by them so they're not usually subtle. The medium is also more conducive to character and world-building but tougher when it comes to story-telling. Still, there are a lot of game stories I at least find enjoyable in an action movie sense and some I consider genuinely good, but they keep the scope of game and story smaller.
I agree. As I said, there's good storytelling in some games but if you started actually looking closer at the general narratives and social or historical issues being addressed in gaming you would have a hard time finding something less simplistic or reduced to its rough mainstream associations than what's written about RDR2.

Hell, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is about a white British lady who lands on top of an ancient South American tribe and then despite being merely a tourist she starts solving all of those people's problems for them using ultraviolence (because she knows better) while destroying their temples for profit and robbing them of their gold and resources taken literally from their huts. She even explores Conquistador sites on her way to make the narrative even more tonedeaf. All in the name of being a "cool explorer uncovering ancient mysteries" game. Even RDR is more self-aware compared to this. Gaming has a long way to go when it comes to making games more subtle about these issues.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 25, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here is an update on the thing I said I was going to do last night
https://twitter.com/axleblazeSA/status/1055558309963538433
(yes, I stole the hat idea from the posted video)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I had the shittiest day so now I'm going to find the largest local burger I can and have it for dinner

edit: and then play videogames

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is the thread’s favourite gametime snack?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Probably nachos or onion dip.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A bowl of oatmeal and a nice cuppa coffee.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a big steaming mug of Gamer Cumtm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

chicharrones but the ones that are both belly and rind so what's left of the fat literally melts in your mouth while the rind has a nice, satisfying CRUNCH.

• Locked thread