Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Krinkle posted:

Do investors ever go huh, that's weird, he's taking the check I just handed over, turning around to everyone else and excitedly waving it over his head declaring he made a profit. He's not selling anything he's just really excited I invested. Hmmmm. What could this mean?

it means $3k tsla by may

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Krinkle posted:

Do investors ever go huh, that's weird, he's taking the check I just handed over, turning around to everyone else and excitedly waving it over his head declaring he made a profit. He's not selling anything he's just really excited I invested. Hmmmm. What could this mean?

This. I am really curious to scope out their revenue recognition policies.

But I’m also an accountant with plenty of this poo poo to do already so I don’t know if I’ll have time to dive into their audit reports.

I’m missing the bowling party today 😥

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

literally :lol:'d at the reveal

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
if the bus is a rockin, don't come a knockin

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

if the bus is a rockin, don't come a knockin

if this bus is a washer, don't rely on our software

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Cars that Elon is hawkin', doors aren't unlockin'

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why have a display of what the car sees at all if it isn’t what the car actually sees. If it isn’t what the car is actually seeing then it’s useless wank, and really shittily made wank at that. If it is an output of what the car actually sees, oh god.

if it isn’t what the car sees then it’s just useless distraction. you’re supposed to look at the road. it isn’t even accurate. it’s just there to look cool. I’m honestly kinda offended by it existing at all, it’s so stupid and they didn’t even do a good job.

underage at the vape shop has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Oct 25, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its funny laid out like this

quote:

Musk had negotiated a settlement with the SEC where he would have paid $10 million and resigned as chairman for two years, but he was incensed that it would require him not to admit guilt or innocence. He wanted to declare he hadn’t done anything wrong, so he told his board he would resign unless they publicly supported him and backed his decision to reject the settlement. They promptly agreed.

However, when the stock crashed after the lawsuit was filed, Musk sent his lawyers back to the SEC to negotiate a new settlement. This time he was required to pay $20 million, along with a matching $20 million from Tesla; resign as chairman for three years; and the company would have to add two independent directors and a lawyer to review Musk’s communications — including his tweets. Talk about a great dealmaker.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

underage at the vape shop posted:

Why have a display of what the car sees at all if it isn’t what the car actually sees. If it isn’t what the car is actually seeing then it’s useless wank, and really shittily made wank at that. If it is an output of what the car actually sees, oh god.

if it isn’t what the car sees then it’s just useless distraction. you’re supposed to look at the road. it isn’t even accurate. it’s just there to look cool. I’m honestly kinda offended by it existing at all, it’s so stupid and they didn’t even do a good job.

It should just be a big red bar if its not safe to merge

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Krinkle posted:

The thing is Musk didn’t do that at all. If everything is true, this quarter is so amazing. Tesla was able to best Toyota and BMW on the amount of money as a % that they make on cars, while increasing production, while cutting costs, and going through a bunch of mid to high level executive departures. They make Toyota’s numbers look bad in comparison, and the improvement means that Toyota should get rid of Six Sigma and hire Elon Musk for billions / year to improve their manufacturing process. Seriously. If Tesla keeps this up, all cars will be Tesla by 2025 given how much they are crushing the competition.

Of course, Musk didn’t act like he was Automotive Jesus on the conference call and that just shows he’s humble.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lote posted:

Of course, Musk didn’t act like he was Automotive Jesus on the conference call and that just shows he’s humble.

That's classic Musky' for ya!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

give us barrabas

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ya dasharezone has been on top of this for a while

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979871224103776256

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1055517521082609664
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1055520255831932928

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shageletic posted:

ya dasharezone has been on top of this for a while

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979871224103776256

this one is just askin to be share z0ned tho, but now i know admin is legit muskwoke

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuuuuuuck, that is brutal.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ryde posted:

Laugh if you want, but I'm just skeptical that we're dispassionately and accurately gauging the likelihood of such a thing. They still have liens out, they still have build issues, and they still had their CFO do the whole Grandpa Simpson thing, so I'm not gonna say its zero. Based on the stuff posted and emphasized in this thread, I fully expected Elon to just squeak out a profit at best using ZEV credits and accounting tricks. But they put up some legitimately good numbers. That means that either he's managed to run a shell game longer and more competently than we expected or we're just over-indexing on certain pieces of information. If I'm wrong on this, I'll be right there with you enjoying the Enron-style meltdown.

There's the security fraud lawsuits I know of, but is there an ongoing accounting fraud lawsuit?

This is a company showing all the signs of major cash flow issues and yet somehow they out of nowhere posted some massive profit margin increase and became the poster child for how to economy of scales?

Where there's smoke there's a Tesla on fire.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Oct 25, 2018

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1055350177941225473?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Fuuuuuuck, that is brutal.

shes a really good twitter follow

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ryde posted:

Yeah there's this too. As fun as these sorts of circle-jerk threads are they tend to be pretty terrible in terms of actual predictions. Not saying Musk is good or anything, he's still a reprehensible person.

nah past maybe the first bitcoin thread, the stance has almost universally been "this thing is stupid, but never bet against human stupidity" and "If we could properly predict exactly when a bubble pops, bubbles wouldn't be problems," and then some idiots come in and say "heh, you're all wrong again, if <bitcoin/star citizen/elong> dumb why it make money?!?!" if someone gambles and makes money good for them, but it's still a gamble. I also know a guy who really did make a killing selling cutco knives, doesn't mean I'd suggest anyone go in on that scam.

prisoner of waffles posted:

Lastly, if you were wondering why Musk wanted a settlement with the SEC that involved no admission of fault on his part, there is a DOJ criminal investigation for the same recklessly false and misleading tweets.

most gov settlements I've seen have that specific wording to avoid a sort of gotcha "This is used as evidence by other agency now," but then also have other clauses that let the same agency still count that as a repeat offence if you get caught doing the same thing again. It's also used as an extra incentive for you to settle before it becomes an actual civil case.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DataProgress/status/1055530084843556864

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://twitter.com/samantar/status/1055520498837323777

This guy was the accountant for the Crazy Eddie electronics stores. :lol:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

broke: despite being a complete shitshow of a company run by a clown, Tesla has continued to fail upward for years with no signs of stopping, but it's totally gonna fail any day now!

woke: despite being a complete shitshow of a company run by a clown, Tesla has continued to fail upward for years with no signs of stopping, time to get in on that action!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if you bet on a clown, do you not...become the clown

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lote posted:

https://twitter.com/samantar/status/1055520498837323777

This guy was the accountant for the Crazy Eddie electronics stores. :lol:

this guy was kinda cool lol:

wikipedia posted:

Crazy Eddie even made a commercial to this effect with Carroll as a Superman-styled superhero named Crazy Eddie.[citation needed] Warner Communications, the parent company of the distributor of the Superman movie series, found the commercial to be problematic and sued the chain trying to stop it. At the time, Warner also was the parent company of the Atari video game company, and its largest customer for systems and games was Crazy Eddie. Therefore, in retaliation for the lawsuit, Eddie said that if Warner was going to sue for the commercial, he would stop selling Atari products in his stores. The suit was eventually settled
EDIT: ah wait not the same guy but same family, the guy in the tweet entered the picture a bit later

quote:

Sammy pleaded guilty to three felonies. He avoided jail time in exchange for his testimony, however, and was instead sentenced to six months of house arrest, 1,200 hours of community service, three years of probation, and was levied more than $10,000 in fines.[3][14] As of 2009, Sammy was an adviser for government agencies and businesses investigating fraud.

bring back old gbs has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Oct 25, 2018

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

PROFOTOBL.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Elon is a Deep One.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

he’s got the look all right

the innsmouth look

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it's made of rocket parts

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's made of tube

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lote posted:

If everything about the earnings report is true, Tesla pulled off a business miracle by doubling worker productivity while cutting capital expenditure and R&D costs AND going through an executive restructuring simultaneously.

Also they reported bigger auto profit margin than companies have a better a FPY than Tesla's 18%.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/Hedgeye/status/1055528045770141696

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
what if elon just bought every parking lot tesla personally and is now going to sell them on craigslist to recoup

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm really tempted to learn how shorts work here.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Shageletic posted:

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's made poorly

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shageletic posted:

unless you're in a position to make the american taxpayer cover your losses dont bother

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Pro click:
https://twitter.com/IsTeslaWorth0/status/1055474848275881986

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shageletic posted:

The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Also, lol this thread

https://twitter.com/RBavioli/status/1055567923035615232