Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

I have very complicated feelings about the DW budget.

It shouldn't be starved out the way Moffat claims it has been, but it also should not be a commercial product. It's public television and the whole "slut it up", "big money-maker" attitude flies in the face of the messages of anticapitalist action that made Oxygen the best 45 minutes of Who that season.

It's kind of swings and roundabouts - on the one hand, the show makes money and should get a decent budget as a result, but on the other hand budget restrictions make the production team get creative and you get things like Midnight, Blink, Turn Left (yeah, ok, and Love and Monsters). There's a balance to be had in there somewhere, but god knows where it lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DoctorWhat posted:

flies in the face of the messages of anticapitalist action that made Oxygen the best 45 minutes of Who that season.

But that made about as much sense as it did with WALL-E, because Doctor Who is a merchandising/marketing product. And that’s a good thing within reason, since it takes money in for the BBC Cthulhu that doesn’t have to be taken from license fees or force cheaper production.

Doctor Who doesn’t have to abstain from consumerism just because it did an episode wherein money was at the root of all evil. The fact that you could do an episode like that is a sign that for all the criticism the BBC still does do something other broadcasters don’t, because you’d get a lot more resistance getting that episode on ITV.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

That said, if there is somebody whose love for the show outshines almost everybody else in the universe, it's gotta be RTD. He's just so infectiously joyful whenever he talks about Who. When Big Finish got the contract to do revival era stuff and they spoke to him about it, he was so giddy talking about the possibilities :3:

Not only that, when the show came back, he made sure that BF got to keep their license.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's right, wasn't the BBC guy all,"Big Finish? What the hell is tha-" and RTD just smoothly slid the papers over to his side and said,"Oh leave that to me to take care of"?

Because if that didn't happen I'm going to pretend it did. :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's right, wasn't the BBC guy all,"Big Finish? What the hell is tha-" and RTD just smoothly slid the papers over to his side and said,"Oh leave that to me to take care of"?

Yep! RTD said it was only one of the only times his 6 foot, 6 inch frame came in handy in his writing career.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fil5000 posted:

It's kind of swings and roundabouts - on the one hand, the show makes money and should get a decent budget as a result, but on the other hand budget restrictions make the production team get creative and you get things like Midnight, Blink, Turn Left (yeah, ok, and Love and Monsters). There's a balance to be had in there somewhere, but god knows where it lands.

And honestly, we just had a budget-light episode that was stronger for it; the only part of Rosa that looked all that expensive was Krasko's gun, which got very little play.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

Something like that apparently. :)

Relatedly, I think I may have got a work colleague hooked on Doctor Who - no previous knowledge or context to the show, just was curious about all the fuss being made about it in the news. Lent her Rose to watch, and the details to watch the current series on iplayer (as she's very curious), telling her as little about it as possible - nothing about regeneration, the TARDIS, just that it's a family-friendly sci-fi show.

She loved Rose. Liked the quirkiness, the humour, the mystery, the creepy autons, and now wants to plough on with the rest of that series. She's going to give the newest series a watch, see if it clicks, and in the down time between new episodes go back to the Ecclestone episodes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

And honestly, we just had a budget-light episode that was stronger for it; the only part of Rosa that looked all that expensive was Krasko's gun, which got very little play.

Was it budget-light? I always assume that any period piece gets expensive pretty quickly if you want it to look right.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Those accurate Montgomery buses were, I guarentee, mondo expensive. Krasco's gun was dirt cheap.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I kind of feel that by Doctor Who standards an episode with location shooting, multiple sets, period clothing, a decent number of extras and multiple sizable props (eg the buses) does not come close to being budget-light.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's no way that episode wasn't the most expensive of the three we've had so far by a country mile.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I’d actually assume this is the most expensive episode of the series so far. First two episodes didn’t require much in the way of fancy sets or costumes.

The further back in time you go the more expensive a production is, every costume, set or prop needs to be period accurate.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

She loved Rose. Liked the quirkiness, the humour, the mystery, the creepy autons, and now wants to plough on with the rest of that series. She's going to give the newest series a watch, see if it clicks, and in the down time between new episodes go back to the Ecclestone episodes.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who enjoys Rose. I get it, I get it, the autons are silly, and the humor is pretty broad, but overall I think it's a fantastic presentation of the character of the Doctor and a fun action-romp.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of Rose, I just listened to the first two episodes of series 2 of the Tenth Doctor Adventures from BF. You can tell Billie's much less experienced at voice-only work than Tennant as she sort of see-saws between flat and being really good throughout the first one especially. And anyone who was annoyed by Clara is likely going to hate the first episode, because a big chunk of it has Rose off on her own doing more to save the day than the Doctor does.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who enjoys Rose. I get it, I get it, the autons are silly, and the humor is pretty broad, but overall I think it's a fantastic presentation of the character of the Doctor and a fun action-romp.

Even if the rest of it was poo poo (which it isn't), it'd be worth it for Eccleston's first scene ("Hi Rose, I'm the Doctor." <waggles explosives> "Run for your life!") and for his "That's who I am" speech. I would have watched new Who even if it had been shite, but those two bits alone reassured me that it was in the right hands.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Those accurate Montgomery buses were, I guarentee, mondo expensive. Krasco's gun was dirt cheap.

Apparently there’s a story behind how they got the bus, but they won’t reveal it yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fil5000 posted:

Even if the rest of it was poo poo (which it isn't), it'd be worth it for Eccleston's first scene ("Hi Rose, I'm the Doctor." <waggles explosives> "Run for your life!") and for his "That's who I am" speech. I would have watched new Who even if it had been shite, but those two bits alone reassured me that it was in the right hands.

Eccleston did an amazing job, in that his doctor was a totally new interpretation of the character while remaining instantly recognisable, which I don't think the other nuwho docs have managed. Tennant was definitely his own panto thing, but he never felt very Doctor-y to me, and while I absolutely love Matt Smith's performance, it's very very Troughton inflected. Ditto Capaldi with pretty much every classic doctor.

Too early to tell with Whittaker, although as I've said before, she's a little too Ten so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The more I ponder the episode the more I find I enjoyed it. I think I'll site down and marathon all three before the new one this weekend. Jodie is just great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Eccleston did an amazing job, in that his doctor was a totally new interpretation of the character while remaining instantly recognisable, which I don't think the other nuwho docs have managed. Tennant was definitely his own panto thing, but he never felt very Doctor-y to me, and while I absolutely love Matt Smith's performance, it's very very Troughton inflected. Ditto Capaldi with pretty much every classic doctor.

Too early to tell with Whittaker, although as I've said before, she's a little too Ten so far.

I think it's fair to say (as Tom Baker once did) that the Doctor isn't really an "acting" part, so as long as the person in the role brings a decent chunk of themselves along it's going to work out ok. And Capaldi is a bit of an odd one as he arguably took it in a different direction each series.

I would have agreed with you about Tennant up until listening to the first batch of Big Finish audios with him and Catherine Tate, because it was an absolute joy to hear him back at it again and it totally felt Doctor-y to me. I think it's the episodes full of melodrama that made me go a bit cold on him, but when he's doing silly Doctor stuff he's great.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, that's all a pretty fair judgement on the period stuff. The cost of period clothing/set dressing sneaks up on you.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I think it's fair to say (as Tom Baker once did) that the Doctor isn't really an "acting" part, so as long as the person in the role brings a decent chunk of themselves along it's going to work out ok.

Yeah, absolutely. Actually, now that I think about it, the fact that Eccleston really wasn't a Who fan probably helped him bring a totally fresh interpretation. Even Matt Smith watched Tomb of the Cybermen after he got the job (and it shows, and that's not a bad thing)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I really like the description from someone earlier that said she was like a children's book character come to life. She's definitely got that chirpiness of Ten.

I also never bought any of that "timelord triumphant" stuff with Ten. 9 and 12 did a great job with the darker, angry side of the Doctor (even 11 had his awesome Colonel Runaway speech) but Ten always felt sulky and petulant, never intimidating. Be interesting to see if she can pull it off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I find Ten's incomprehensible personality swings kind of hilarious, in one episode he's a pacifist and in the next he traps a small child in a mirror forever because ironic punishments are his big thing, except when they aren't

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really like the description from someone earlier that said she was like a children's book character come to life. She's definitely got that chirpiness of Ten.

I also never bought any of that "timelord triumphant" stuff with Ten. 9 and 12 did a great job with the darker, angry side of the Doctor (even 11 had his awesome Colonel Runaway speech) but Ten always felt sulky and petulant, never intimidating. Be interesting to see if she can pull it off.

Not sure if it'll come up, while she's got the Tennant mannerisms she also has shades of 8's 'a person I'd actually like and want to hang out with' vibes.

Although McGann has had his turns at heavier stuff and generally aced it, so who knows

Ed - ^^^^^ yeah, 10 was a psycho. 9 was a grumpy bugger with a heart of gold, 10 was a happy-go-lucky scamp with seriously unpleasant undertones

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 26, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

corn in the bible posted:

I find Ten's incomprehensible personality swings kind of hilarious, in one episode he's a pacifist and in the next he traps a small child in a mirror forever because ironic punishments are his big thing, except when they aren't

that episode was so hosed up

him visiting her in the mirror annually just to taunt her is some serial killer poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She wasn't a child, she was an alien monster that stole a child's body.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Capaldi definitely was trying to channel Tom a lot of the time, including outright breaking out his impression of Tom's voice a couple of times.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

I've seen a handful of offhand remarks saying it happened (in people far away from the production, like this) and a few closer sources saying it didn't (although they did want to know who the actor was) :shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Why research matters:

https://twitter.com/BadWilf/status/1055855064550645761

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:psyduck: How can you know Big Finish exists, but NOT that Paul's done stuff for nearly 2 decades with them?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

JOURNALIST: Oh, I know, I was just testing to make sure you didn't have amnesia again.

or

JOURNALIST: ...wait are you not Peter Capaldi?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Listening to Jubilee for the first time.

I had sort of been idly wondering why nearly every showrunner since the start of the revival has done a "trapped, solitary dalek causes a moral quandry for the doctor and a society that has forgotten how dangerous they are" episode. Now I know, and I'm sort of sad about it because this is fully insane, extremely timey wimey and very wonderful. Far better than the TV episodes it inspired.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like to think the picture was taken at the exact same time this conversation happened, and he's basically ready to fight that dude :allears:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Gaz-L posted:

:psyduck: How can you know Big Finish exists, but NOT that Paul's done stuff for nearly 2 decades with them?
seriously

I view Big Finish with the same distaste and paranoia most people reserve for root canals and even I know hes done a million of them

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Moffat did a lot of weird poo poo, but he did make 8’s adventures canon, and for that he’s cool

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Soothing Vapors posted:

seriously

I view Big Finish with the same distaste and paranoia most people reserve for root canals and even I know hes done a million of them

This is ridiculous, Big Finish is great

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

Moffat did a lot of weird poo poo, but he did make 8’s adventures canon, and for that he’s cool

In a bout of amnesia, he sadly forgot his book companions. :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Big finish is capable of greatness. They're also capable of doubling down hard on Dr Who's greatest mistakes, like gross orientalism and Heroic Superchurchill.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Big finish is capable of greatness. They're also capable of doubling down hard on Dr Who's greatest mistakes, like gross orientalism and Heroic Superchurchill.

Yeah, I'm not sure what part of the recent Talons backlash made them think "You know what, what if we did Talons with River Song?" instead of "You know what, Talons is super racist and I'm confused as to why it's taken this long to acknowledged at large."

Edit: New Torchwood is super good though, if you can forgive scheduling conflicts torpedoing a significant arc. (I believe they've intimated that they want to pick it up again when they can get the actors involved back in studio together). Last season's invasion via gentrification was pretty good, but this Dark Sun arc is going places, like whoah.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
For those who miss Missy, Michelle Gomez is a regular on a new netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina:

EDIT: And she's hamming it up spectacularly!

Issaries fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 27, 2018