Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Uncle Lizard posted:

A butter wheel

This is awesome. I had no idea this was even a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So about these knives: they're nothing super fancy, but they're MINE. I don't want some of the new chucklefucks using and abusing them, and at least one other cook has an identical set. I don't have my own knife roll yet, and constantly get switched around stations, so what's the best way to label the handles? I have a Dremel, can I safely engrave my initials in a resin handle? Or I was thinking dots of nail polish, that shouldn't wash off? Looking for suggestions.

Colored rubberbands. Coordinate all your gear. Tongs, knives, the lot. Blue = you etc.

Dremel the blade, like, by the haft but up high like where your thumb rests - put initials on both sides. You know, where its pretty apparent reading but not close to the edge

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cheap duck press

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If any of your places have large bar programs, get a bar manager good at negotiating and watch the fancy equipment roll on in...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If any of your places have large bar programs, get a bar manager good at negotiating and watch the fancy equipment roll on in...

Holy hell this is true :o You don't even have to negotiate that well if you're moving enough product.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Holy hell this is true :o You don't even have to negotiate that well if you're moving enough product.

Unless you negotiate really badly. Motherfuckers can't even get me beer merch shirts for my kitchen staff. I swear my bar manager is either hiding thousands of dollars worth of merch in his garage or actively refusing it when they offer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Naelyan posted:

Unless you negotiate really badly. Motherfuckers can't even get me beer merch shirts for my kitchen staff. I swear my bar manager is either hiding thousands of dollars worth of merch in his garage or actively refusing it when they offer.

It could also be that your place doesn't move enough product or that your reps suck. I doubt your reps suck (at least in my area they have literal warehouses full of poo poo to give away), so either you're not moving enough product or yeah, your bar manager sucks.

Edit: A third option is that your reps suck but they're asking too much. I've seen reps ask to be the exclusive beer distributor for a bar, which means they'd only serve Inbev products and no Miller. That's unacceptable to a ton of places, but again - I don't know your situation.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 26, 2018

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I would probably go out of my way to drink at a bar that advertised they didmt serve miller light.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ApolloSuna posted:

I would probably go out of my way to drink at a bar that advertised they didmt serve miller light.

:same:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ApolloSuna posted:

Yes I would also seek this out

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I like a cool crisp MGD every now and then

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ApolloSuna posted:

With respect to the point actually being made above, I would way rather drink at a bar that happened to serve Miller as part of a more varied lineup than one that exclusively served ABInbev products.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I only drink at bars that serve out of state microbrews in custom mason jars. I just have a personal dislike of Miller Light. Screw you cowboys games and having to switch kegs out for 3 hours to run the dam special.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
this is gonna sound pretty radical but i only drink at bars that serve alcohol

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Miller light is garbage but Miller high life, not bad at all. It's weird.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I want to start a bar that serves nothing but malt liquor. Steelies, Mike's, Earthquake, Colt 45, maybe try to find some vintage Crazy Horse and Private Stock, get some those posh spiked seltzers...

Do they even make kegs of malt liquor? Has anyone ever seen it on tap in the wild?

Edit: Colt 45 and Mickeys are still available, and you used to be able to get Olde English and Schlitz. They do exist!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 27, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I want to start a bar that serves nothing but malt liquor. Steelies, Mike's, Earthquake, Colt 45, maybe try to find some vintage Crazy Horse and Private Stock, get some those posh spiked seltzers...

Do they even make kegs of malt liquor? Has anyone ever seen it on tap in the wild?

I think I've seen Mickey's on tap before.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Hauki posted:

With respect to the point actually being made above, I would way rather drink at a bar that happened to serve Miller as part of a more varied lineup than one that exclusively served ABInbev products.

Thanks for this, I was waiting for someone to figure it out.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Edit: Colt 45 and Mickeys are still available, and you used to be able to get Olde English and Schlitz. They do exist!

We make malt vinegar out of Olde English at the restaurant I work at. The chef definitely got some looks when he was buying a shitload of 40s at the corner store.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

So about these knives: they're nothing super fancy, but they're MINE. I don't want some of the new chucklefucks using and abusing them, and at least one other cook has an identical set. I don't have my own knife roll yet, and constantly get switched around stations, so what's the best way to label the handles? I have a Dremel, can I safely engrave my initials in a resin handle? Or I was thinking dots of nail polish, that shouldn't wash off? Looking for suggestions.
I'd use a cheap plastic edge guard and sharpie my name on it on one side and gently caress off on the other.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
just go to your local asia mart and get 10 kiwis for 15 bucks and you'll have a sharp as gently caress knife for 30 shifts... depending on how much knife work you're actually doing :xd:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The one true heezy posted:

just go to your local asia mart and get 10 kiwis for 15 bucks and you'll have a sharp as gently caress knife for 30 shifts... depending on how much knife work you're actually doing :xd:

I agree the accent is unforgivable, but this is a bit extreme imo.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoht posted:

We make malt vinegar out of Olde English at the restaurant I work at. The chef definitely got some looks when he was buying a shitload of 40s at the corner store.

You have piqued my interest.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, I've got a few questions over the last few pages that I want to ask, and I'd like to get them off my chest before it drags on further.

First!

Reminded me of that milgoon story about being on a crushingly boring sub tour in the Navy, and realizing their captain had plotted a course shaped like a dick. They had spent the week drawing a 300 mile long cock in the Pacific.

How the heck did you hear this story? I heard it firsthand in an irc channel years back, from a friend's friend who was actaully on that sub. They were both in the navy but one ended up on an aircraft carrier, another on a sub.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm not dead yet, and the manager OT has nearly paid off a quarter of my debt. If I keep this up, my financial stress will be gone! Also, how long can you go with only 4 hours of sleep on average every night? Asking for a friend.

Secondly, I'm curious how your manager OT is calculated. Do you still have to clock in to track it? is it straight time and a half or some other formula? I've heard for ages 'dont sign a salary position without an OT clause in it' and i'd like to know what the details of a good one are.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thoht posted:

Can you explain why it makes sense to do this?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Can you explain why it makes sense to do this?

Do you mean like from a profit/labor perspective? It doesn't. We do it for fun, because it's interesting, because it makes a good story for guests. We age it in oak and it gets really wonderful. We only use the malt vinegar on one dish so it's not like we run through a lot of it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

TheParadigm posted:

Secondly, I'm curious how your manager OT is calculated. Do you still have to clock in to track it? is it straight time and a half or some other formula? I've heard for ages 'dont sign a salary position without an OT clause in it' and i'd like to know what the details of a good one are.

Clock in and out just like any employee, and yeah, it's straight time and a half. Iirc I get additional PTO based on my OT hours worked, so I'll probably end up with an extra week or two of vacation for next year.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bloom posted:

This thread makes me think that my choice of going to a culinary school is an excellent life choice. Then again I'm not in freedom land so the business shouldn't be quite as hell world as it is across the pond.

Today I smoked some salmon and did a black currant ice cream. So far I'm loving this poo poo. Feel free to laugh at my optimism when I eventually turn into a burn out drunk.

Average lifespan of a culinary grad in the industry is less than five years.

Make sure you have a backup plan in case your knees, back, or addictions can't take the lifestyle. Doing cool poo poo in culinary school is a ton of fun, the reality of cooking the same menu 52 weeks a year and trying to find staff who can show up sober and manage not to lick the plates before they get to the pass ends people.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Average lifespan of a culinary grad in the industry is less than five years.

Make sure you have a backup plan in case your knees, back, or addictions can't take the lifestyle. Doing cool poo poo in culinary school is a ton of fun, the reality of cooking the same menu 52 weeks a year and trying to find staff who can show up sober and manage not to lick the plates before they get to the pass ends people.

Curious about coming at this the other way around:

If you've worked the industry, and know you can hack it, is there any merit in taking some culinary school classes? Our community college offers a degree, and we've had two employees that say they learned a lot from there (but also admitted that school does not prepare you for actual industry life). For the record, they're both top notch workers, not lazy slug-a-beds. One's moved on to a swank rear end hotel doing banquet work, like who CdC works for.

I was thinking of applying, just to improve and broaden my skills and also be able to slap some more capital letters/certifications on my resume for if/when I want/need to move on from my current place. Also, I just really like learning new stuff, and miss being in college.

What say ye, thread?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

What say ye, thread?

Like most school, you get out of culinary school what you put into it. You, for instance, will learn everything they teach you and it would for sure be valuable, if I had to guess. If you ever decide to move into hotels/conference centers/want a cushy job running the kitchen at a retirement home, having that degree will get your foot in the door and at least put you in the running for upward mobility.

So yeah, as long as it's a decent program you'll definitely learn and improve. Whether or not the letters will help totally depends on what you want to do in the next few years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Curious about coming at this the other way around:

If you've worked the industry, and know you can hack it, is there any merit in taking some culinary school classes? Our community college offers a degree, and we've had two employees that say they learned a lot from there (but also admitted that school does not prepare you for actual industry life). For the record, they're both top notch workers, not lazy slug-a-beds. One's moved on to a swank rear end hotel doing banquet work, like who CdC works for.

I was thinking of applying, just to improve and broaden my skills and also be able to slap some more capital letters/certifications on my resume for if/when I want/need to move on from my current place. Also, I just really like learning new stuff, and miss being in college.

What say ye, thread?

Depends on who's paying for it and how much, really. You know you can hack the industry's vagaries, so it'd mostly be a resume bullet and chance to learn new technique for you.

Just make sure to vet the grads from the program you're looking at a little to see if they're producing a desirable skillset. Ask who they have that came out of their program that's doing what in the industry now, and how long ago they attended. That sort of thing. You've been in long enough to be able to tell bullshitters from workers.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

What say ye, thread?

I went through culinary school after being in the business for over 13 years. I did this to try and increase my wage, but I did learn a great deal. Surprisingly, it was mostly the areas that involved the basics that I learned the most.

After graduating, it did help that I went to culinary school, but not in a way I expected. I would no longer be called back for second, third, or working interview. I would go to an interview, and at the end they would say, "can you start today, like now." No extra pay though, even though I now had student loans to pay back. I eventually decided that the restaurant industry was not conducive to family life, or any life other than the restaurant life, so I called it quits.

I now work as a desk jockey answering phones, making appointments, and just performing general office monkey stuffs at one job. The other job I do the same, but I also get to play basketball, pool, and other activities with kids. I get paid the same, if not a little more, but I have nights, weekends, and holidays off.

The big difference is that I get treated like a human being at both of these places, and the work is much easier in every aspect. Everyone's mileage will very of course, but I'm still amazed at how little I do, and how well I get treated, and for the same or more money. I may even get use my culinary knowledge to teach kids cooking classes at some point.

I have made incredibly horrible decisions in life, so that may be a determining factor. Just my 2¢.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember getting paid $9/hour working a super lovely barista job where I also had to clean toilets. Then my next job was basically a glorified receptionist for $21/hour and I also got to browse the web and listen to music all day. Both jobs sucked but hey I'll take double the pay and being treated like a human.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I actually like my two part-time jobs that I have now, so that's a plus.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Thoht posted:

Do you mean like from a profit/labor perspective? It doesn't. We do it for fun, because it's interesting, because it makes a good story for guests. We age it in oak and it gets really wonderful. We only use the malt vinegar on one dish so it's not like we run through a lot of it.

I mean, quality, the story, or fun are all reasons. I was just curious which it was. When I source cheese for our cheese plates "engaging story" is for sure a quality I value. I feel like the experience of a server telling you taleggio is from Italy is a lot different than that the cheese you're about to eat was aged in an abandoned French subway, or that it was made in the USA by school children in Vermont

I make a lot of stuff I don't have to... I've also had to scrap house-making commodity items because people can't loving HANDLE ketchup that isnt 70% corn sugar

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 29, 2018

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I mean, quality, the story, or fun are all reasons. I was just curious which it was. When I source cheese for our cheese plates "engaging story" is for sure a quality I value. I feel like the experience of a server telling you taleggio is from Italy is a lot different than that the cheese you're about to eat was aged in an abandoned French subway, or that it was made in the USA by school children in Vermont

I make a lot of stuff I don't have to... I've also had to scrap house-making commodity items because people can't loving HANDLE ketchup that isnt 70% corn sugar

Well there’s your answer: make your own corn syrup.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I literally just gave away my corn mill

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
it took five years (two at the current gig) and a bunch of lovely treatment but i now make more than i ever did working call centers to cook my rear end off

i make pickles on my off time and don't have health insurance, but feeling dehumanized feels more or less normal in 2018 imo

do what you love etc

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's a chance I'm about to get a cooking job with union benefits. Fuckin' AFSCME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

There's a chance I'm about to get a cooking job with union benefits. Fuckin' AFSCME.

You go! When I was a dish bitch contractor for the Army, I was in ITPEU. Weirdest situation; cooks and dish worked for the same company, but dish was unionized, cooks were not. No idea why.

And I've watched that video 3 times now and can't stop laughing. Helps that I'm from Lawn Guyland and miss that accent terribly.